Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
This sounds like a lot of fun, so I'm in.

I'm down for just about any kind of book. I'm a big sucker for fun, pulpy books, but am slowly opening myself up to other kinds of books. You can check my goodreads profile here and take a gander at what I've read, how I rated it, and my to-read list to (hopefully) get an idea of the kinds of stuff I like. With that said, I would definitely prefer something unknown and maybe a little challenging. Feel free to toss any book at me that you thought was a mind-blowingly good read. I'm not really open to graphic novels though.

Some books that I loved: The Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons, anything and everything Stephen King, I loved My Life and Hard Times by Thurbur, but haven't read any of his other work, The Sympathizer by Nguyen, Zorba the Greek by Kazantzakis.

Some books that I didn't like: A Head Full of Ghosts, The Vegetatian by Han Kang, Foreigner by C.J. Cherryh

I live abroad, but am American and have a Kindle, so ebooks are fine. I also have an audible subscription, so audiobooks are fine too. If you are going to go through the trouble of getting an actual physical book, I'm open to anything at all but would definitely prefer a new or used hardback.

tl;dr list:

Serieses
Fiction

Dislikes
Overly pretentious prose (e.g. if the comma-per-sentence count is over 4 or 5 on average or you need a thesaurus, I probably won't like it)
Dry reads

Lukewarm
Nonfiction

USMC_Karl fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
Just browsing around through the good reads profiles of everyone that has posted thus far and realized that a few of you only have a couple books listed up there. I have a couple good ideas for gifts and all of them seem to be pretty safe, but what exactly happens if I get someone a book that they already have?

As a secondary question, one of my idea books comes in paperback and electronic format which are <$10, but the hardback starts at something crazy like $400. If I were to, say, buy two or three books for whomever I'm buying a gift for, would that be kosher? As long as the price is at/near $25, that is.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

Safety Biscuits posted:

Buying multiple books is fine, it's in the op. Look at last year's thread if you want ideas.

No it's no....

the op posted:

You don't have to just give your match one book.

:smith:

My bad, I swear to god I read the op top to bottom a couple of times just to make sure that I'd be able to do it all. Shows how much reading comprehension I have.

Yeah, I figure that the chance for overlap is relatively small, but it never hurts to be safe. I'll definitely add in a little more detail to hopefully key people into what I like and make it easier for them to tell what I probably have.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

Safety Biscuits posted:

Meanwhile, I just made a thread to post your bookshelves to definitively answer whether your match has that book you're thinking of getting him.

I posted my digital library in this thread so whomever ends up being my secret santa can easily search for a book's title and see if I have it or not.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

Stoked, this should be fun.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

CestMoi posted:

I'll send fun books to anyone that takes part again

I got my assignment and am currently thinking about what to send. I'm totally down for receiving fun books *if* you don't mind shipping them to me. I live in South Korea and will totally understand if that is too far/too much of a pain in the rear end to do.

*edit* nevermind, it looks like the fun books have already been taken care of.

USMC_Karl fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 22, 2017

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

I have also got my gifts going. Now to sit and worry about them getting to their destination ok...

USMC_Karl fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 5, 2017

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

Pleiades posted:

I got a nice letter, three books, and a picture of a baby girl! Thank you, Santa!

https://imgur.com/a/Gh1Ok

(linked here because the pictures are massive on this MB).

I actually read Second Foundation and Foundation's Edge years ago. Probably not a good plan. I found the Second Foundation easier to read though, imo.

Very cool, I didn't think about sending a letter or anything. I was thinking I'd contact the person I gave gifts to after the gifts were received and explain why I chose them. Dammit, why didn't I think about writing a letter :smith:

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

Santa came early this year! I got to my in-laws' place to find a hardback English book and was confused for a bit (my in-laws are Korean and don't read a lick of English). Then, my mother-in-law explained that it was mine! So, hey, Santa, thanks!

Really the perfect gift because, while it's a book that sounded really interesting, it is a book that I'd never buy for myself. So, really and truly thanks!

Since my mother-in-law threw the box away before I got a chance to see who sent it, I can't thank you by name. Still, she told me you live in Daegu, so hey, if you ever make it up to Seoul let's hang out!

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

cryptoclastic posted:

Glad it got there safely! There should be some more coming electronically today or tomorrow, whenever Amazon gets their stuff together!

And just as you write that. No way! Man, you are the best secret santa gift giver. Another book that I wanted to read but would never buy for myself, Free Country: A Penniless Adventure the Length of Britain, and a total unknown book that sounds very interesting indeed, Perfume: The Story of a Murderer. I'll be sure to read these ASAP and post back here with my impressions, but I honestly couldn't be happier with the gifts that I've received. This was my first year doing BBSS and it was a total blast, will definitely be taking part in the future.

Thanks a lot for the thought you put into these gifts. I mean, two of them were on my "want to read" list, but they were buried way back there and you had to go rooting around to find them. Not only that, but they are definitely a little different from my normal reading tastes, which makes getting them as a gift even better. I'll restate my offer, if you ever make it up to Seoul let me know. I'd be happy to buy you a drink and a meal as a thank you.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

Megabound posted:

My present just got delivered, thanks, Santa!

These all look great, and I'm looking forward to getting into that Vonnegut especially!

My gift will be going out this week. Waiting for them to be delivered to my place. Promise they'll arrive before Christmas!

Nice! Let me give you a little reasoning why I got you each of those books.

1) Zorba, you mentioned that you like discussion and allegory and, while Zorba doesn't specifically have much religious stuff, it is an amazingly fun book where the main character is constantly talking with, and learning from, Zorba. It was a book that was pretty ok for the first 1/2, fun for the third quarter, and ended in an absolutely amazing way. Honestly one of the better books I've ever read. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

2) The Vonnegut book was a choice because it is one of my favorites and you hadn't read it yet. You had a couple other Vonnegut books on your read list, so I figured it would be a safe choice for you.

3) The Green Mile is one of my absolute favorite Stephen King books and, aside from having that little supernatural twist that King likes to put on all of his stories, is really just a story about morality.

I really hope you enjoy all of them because all three of those books are 5 star books imo.

*edit* Also, sorry for not getting you hardbacks. All of those were either unavailable in hardback or had a little note saying that a hardback order would require an indeterminate amount of extra time, so I opted for the paperbacks.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

Bilirubin posted:

The Sheffield is a tragically underappreciated hard sci-fi writer (a former physicist) who can also write characters. :rip:

Oh really? I'll look into that book myself, then. Always on the lookout for new authors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

Pleiades posted:

OHHH!! This is a good one! Beautifully written.

You weren't kidding, I'm about halfway through it right now and the writing is pretty colorful. Not a huge amount of stuff has happened in the story yet, but there is a low grade tension that makes me feel like something is going to happen soon. I'm enjoying this book quite a bit!