Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Are they really that bad? Good way to lose weight imo. Here is a North Korean gulag. Bit unfair to send 3 generations of a family to though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
true story I always get gulag and borscht mixed up

well that's my :firstpost: thanks for reading

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Jeb! likes gulags

I like Jeb!

Therefor, I like gulags

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

did you know? GULAG is actually an acronym, in english it means: Main Administration of Corrective Labor Camps and Labor Settlements

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
GULAG would be a wonderful system for America to implement.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Now are they still called Gulags if built outside of Asia? Or is it a regional trademark thing like Champagne?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Crowsbeak posted:

GULAG would be a wonderful system for America to implement.

Reform the CCC and start drafting people into it.:greenangel:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

i have to wonder how the conditions compare at your standard gulag vs your standard privately run US state prison

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

the bitcoin of weed posted:

i have to wonder how the conditions compare at your standard gulag vs your standard privately run US state prison
I was thinking of forced-labor prisons in the U.S. in the 20s and 30s.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

and 40s and 50s and 60s and 70s and 80s and 90s and 00s and 10s

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Lol that the gulag was actually an improvement in every way over statist forced labor systems

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

If you wouldn't put everyone in Gamergate into a gulag you're not a serious person.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Lawman 0 posted:

Reform the CCC and start drafting people into it.:greenangel:

Yes, lets start with Liberty University Alumni and students, fallowed by GMU economics faculty and students, fallowed by Ivy Leaguers.

IMC is not American citizen.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

want to see the siberian gulag version of cool hand luke

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Crowsbeak posted:

Yes, lets start with Liberty University Alumni and students, fallowed by GMU economics faculty and students, fallowed by Ivy Leaguers.

IMC is not American citizen.

For some reason I know a bunch of people who went to Bob Jones and think Liberty is "too mainstream".

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Karl Barks posted:

did you know? GULAG is actually an acronym, in english it means: Main Administration of Corrective Labor Camps and Labor Settlements

alt. GULag. the Russian term is both the administrative structure and all camps included, western use of the term is just camps. which is wrong, and as terrible as the system was they were not death camps. the North Korean system is closer to death camps, so gulag is incorrect

OldAlias has issued a correction as of 21:34 on Oct 26, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

I mean they were in Siberia so winter was probably rough

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
more people in america are incarcerated as a percentage of population than at the height of the gulag system in the soviet union

but whatever

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

OldAlias posted:

alt. GULag. the Russian term is both the administrative structure and all camps included, western use of the term is just camps. which is wrong, and as terrible as the system was they were not death camps. the North Korean system is closer to death camps, so gulag is incorrect

they weren't explicitly death camps but it's not like they were good. we're talking about forced labor here.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

let's get this out of the way: wow karl barks have you considered the material conditions present which resulted in the gulag system? maybe you should read some professor grover furr and you will see the true reality. sounds like you are reading dated nazi propaganda

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Karl Barks posted:

they weren't explicitly death camps but it's not like they were good. we're talking about forced labor here.

of course, i mean to say that as miserable as they were, a soviet gulag would offer drastic freedoms and affordances that you wouldn’t get in a North Korean prison camp.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Karl Barks posted:

so as a baseline these camps, run 70 years ago in a wartorn country, were about what you get in alabama and mississippi in 21st century america

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

so as a baseline these camps, run 70 years ago in a wartorn country, were about what you get in alabama and mississippi in 21st century america

a lot more starving in gulags, but sure. they're both really bad

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Karl Barks posted:

let's get this out of the way: wow karl barks have you considered the material conditions present which resulted in the gulag system?

lol

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Karl Barks posted:

IIRC they gave the prisoners food based on their productivity so if you were a high productivity worker you'd get enough food to scrape by but if you were lower productivity and got the smaller ration you'd probably eventually die.

Red Ryder
Apr 20, 2006

oh dang
Labor camps? Are you telling me the government is gonna give me a job? And I get to go to camp? Hell, sign me up

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Red Ryder posted:

Labor camps? Are you telling me the government is gonna give me a job? And I get to go to camp? Hell, sign me up

all the camp counselors are hot and will always notice you

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

MaxxBot posted:

Jeb! likes gulags

I like Jeb!

Therefor, I like gulags

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

logikv9 posted:

all the camp counselors are hot and will always notice you

Will they let me jack off

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If you wouldn't put everyone in Gamergate into a gulag you're not a serious person.
there's an anime airing this season about a neet concentration camp and it's loving rad

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

rudatron posted:

there's an anime airing this season about a neet concentration camp and it's loving rad

Don't tease us like that, what's the title?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

MaxxBot posted:

IIRC they gave the prisoners food based on their productivity so if you were a high productivity worker you'd get enough food to scrape by but if you were lower productivity and got the smaller ration you'd probably eventually die.

Life is capitalism

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

want to see the siberian gulag version of cool hand luke

frostbitten hand luke

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dreddout posted:

Will they let me jack off

it's mandatory

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

i like the gulag meme because most of the anarchists and soc dems using it don't realize that the inmates of the gulag system were mostly leftists (under lenin) and bolsheviks (under stalin), and the remaining MLs know but keep that part to themselves, bc it's important to only reveal that part after you've taken over

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fallen Hamprince posted:

i like the gulag meme because most of the anarchists and soc dems using it don't realize that the inmates of the gulag system were mostly leftists (under lenin) and bolsheviks (under stalin), and the remaining MLs know but keep that part to themselves, bc it's important to only reveal that part after you've taken over

Shut the gently caress up and get out of this thread.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Fallen Hamprince posted:

is that why you like the gulag meme

Karl Barks has issued a correction as of 20:32 on Oct 27, 2017

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

gamers are now using the term GG to mean "Get Gulag'd"

Wrenever
Jul 22, 2007

How do you even get to the third generation once you're in the gulag

Unattainable goals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fallen Hamprince posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Administration_for_Affairs_of_Prisoners_of_War_and_Internees

At one point the gulag system imprisoned 4M Nazis. They were punched routinely. This was a good thing.

• Locked thread