Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

GoluboiOgon posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Administration_for_Affairs_of_Prisoners_of_War_and_Internees

At one point the gulag system imprisoned 4M Nazis. They were punched routinely. This was a good thing.

they let them all out after the war, the surviving communists only got let out after stalin died and kruschev felt powerful enough to denounce him

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Shut the gently caress up and get out of this thread.

sorry for spilling the beans pener

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Anarchists and socdems are always the ones griping about how the gulags were actually bad and nobody should ever joke about gulags. We shouldn't have to entertain your warped fantasies.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fallen Hamprince posted:

they let them all out after the war, the surviving communists only got let out after stalin died and kruschev felt powerful enough to denounce him

quote:

The US incarceration rate peaked in 2008 when about 1 in 100 US adults was behind bars. This incarceration rate exceeded the average incarceration levels in the Soviet Union during the existence of the infamous Gulag system, when the Soviet Union's population reached 168 million, and 1.2 to 1.5 million people were in the Gulag prison camps and colonies (i.e. about 0.8 imprisoned per 100 USSR residents, according to numbers from Anne Applebaum and Steven Rosefielde).

Old soviet joke:

A new convict enters the gulag. The prisoners ask him what he was arrested for.

"Nothing! I'm innocent and yet they gave me 10 years!"

"Nonsense. They only give you 5 years if you're innocent. You must have done something!"

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Anarchists and socdems are always the ones griping about how the gulags were actually bad and nobody should ever joke about gulags. We shouldn't have to entertain your warped fantasies.

Literally have never heard a Socdem make a gulag joke, but Hamprince is a pretty good argument for the gulags

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

sorry lefties, if ur in the DSA ur a socdem and revisionist traitor to the true path of Marxism-Leninism-Avakianism

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Dreddout posted:

Literally have never heard a Socdem make a gulag joke, but Hamprince is a pretty good argument for the gulags

I'd gulag the poo poo out of hamprince

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jose posted:

I'd gulag the poo poo out of hamprince

1 centrist, 55 gamergaters, a skinhead, and 100 cameras in one labor camp. Tune in to Survivor Re-Education.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dreddout posted:

He would fit right in with the wreckers and black marketeers. He might have a few issues with the thieves tho.

Advice for hamprince: don't gently caress with the people who have rings tatooed on their fingers. They are higher ups in the mob.

quote:

"Informer" ("Стукач") A forced tattoo.
"Enemy of The People" ("BPAГ HAPOДA") A forced tattoo.
"Kulak" ("Кулак") A forced tattoo.
"I am a Bitch" (cyкa) A forced tattoo.

GoluboiOgon has issued a correction as of 21:18 on Oct 27, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

GoluboiOgon posted:

He would fit right in with the wreckers and black marketeers. He might have a few issues with the thieves tho.

Advice for hamprince: don't gently caress with the people who have rings tatooed on their fingers. They are higher ups in the mob.

Hamprince would definitely be one of the guys they buried alive in cement.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
lol if you are in the gulags it's way worse to be communist political prisoner than a thief or black marketeer, cuz the thieves and black marketeers beat the crap outta the ex-party members and the gangsters were way better organized/better at fighting. ex-party members were basically "cops in jail"

it's a 50/50 on whether the communist true believer or the counter-revolutionary is the prisoner or the guard in the gulags

Typo has issued a correction as of 21:28 on Oct 27, 2017

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Typo posted:

lol if you are in the gulags it's way worse to be communist political prisoner than a thief or black marketeer, cuz the thieves and black marketeers beat the crap outta the ex-party members and the gangsters were way better organized/better at fighting

it's a 50/50 on whether the communist true believer or the counter-revolutionary is the prisoner or the guard in the gulags

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitch_Wars

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

1 centrist, 55 gamergaters, a skinhead, and 100 cameras in one labor camp. Tune in to Survivor Re-Education.

most gamergaters aren't much in the physical fitness department and these days odds are the skinhead is also a gamergater so if i shiv the latter in the showers i think i can establish dominance pretty quickly. then it's only a matter of digging an escape tunnel wide enough for a few of the heftier ones; gonna need a ready food supply to survive the trek through the siberian wilderness

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fallen Hamprince posted:

most gamergaters aren't much in the physical fitness department and these days odds are the skinhead is also a gamergater so if i shiv the latter in the showers i think i can establish dominance pretty quickly. then it's only a matter of digging an escape tunnel wide enough for a few of the heftier ones; gonna need a ready food supply to survive the trek through the siberian wilderness

There's a 10/90 chance of your sociopathy being a boon or your doom.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Tiberius Christ posted:

gamers are now using the term GG to mean "Get Gulag'd"

heated gaming moments

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tiberius Christ posted:

gamers are now using the term GG to mean "Get Gulag'd"
I was thinking. Lure gamers to a "gamer camp" or almost to like a seasteading-type thing where true gamers will be in control. Or yeah call it GG for Gamer Government. Then when they arrive, pull a lever and SLAM down goes the gate revealing that GG is actually Gamer Gulag.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I was thinking. Lure gamers to a "gamer camp" or almost to like a seasteading-type thing where true gamers will be in control. Or yeah call it GG for Gamer Government. Then when they arrive, pull a lever and SLAM down goes the gate revealing that GG is actually Gamer Gulag.

this but its actually a gamer guillotine

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jose posted:

this but its actually a gamer guillotine

The final solution to the Gamersgate problem

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Fallen Hamprince posted:

i like the gulag meme because most of the anarchists and soc dems using it don't realize that the inmates of the gulag system were mostly leftists (under lenin) and bolsheviks (under stalin), and the remaining MLs know but keep that part to themselves, bc it's important to only reveal that part after you've taken over

First to the gulag.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Comrade Ja Rule shows us the way

Red Ryder
Apr 20, 2006

oh dang

Helsing posted:

Comrade Ja Rule shows us the way

inlet lookin like a couple of tiddies

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
The idea behind gulags is that Work Makes You Free

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The idea behind gulags is that Work Makes You Free

pretty sure the idea behind gulags was "man the tsar left us all these work camps, what are we supposed to do NOT use them?"

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Shut the gently caress up and get out of this thread.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Fallen Hamprince posted:

i like the gulag meme because most of the anarchists and soc dems using it don't realize that the inmates of the gulag system were mostly leftists (under lenin) and bolsheviks (under stalin), and the remaining MLs know but keep that part to themselves, bc it's important to only reveal that part after you've taken over
stop posting, hamprick

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

does anywhere else outside of the US use long term solitary confinement?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
As you read this story just remember to keep repeating to yourself "at least they're not political prisoners, at least they're not political prisoners!"

New York Times posted:

California Today: Firefighters, at Less Than $2 an Hour

No state relies on inmates to fight wildfires as much as California.

At any given blaze, as much as half or more of the firefighting personnel is drawn from the prison population, a form of cheap labor in California with origins dating back to the 19th century.

California’s dependence on inmate firefighters — who are paid less than $2 an hour — has been underscored as officials contend with a fierce fire season.

To date, roughly 6,000 fires have swept across more than 500,000 acres of land that was fueled up with new growth after the rainy winter. And the season is far from over.

On Thursday, at least a dozen large blazes were threatening property across the state, including areas near Weaverville, west of Redding; Oroville, east of Chico; Oakhurst, outside Yosemite National Park; and Springville, northeast of Bakersfield.

Jaime Lowe, a reporter for The New York Times Magazine, spent several weeks with female inmate firefighters for an article on the risks — and rewards — of the work.

It was published this week along with a photo essay. We caught up with Ms. Lowe by phone:

Q. This is demanding work for very little money. Why do they volunteer?

A. For one, general population prisons are overcrowded and horrible places to be in. So there’s a motivating factor in terms of the environment. I also think though that these women are pushing themselves and wanting the challenge of trying to do something positive.

Do they feel exploited by the low wages?

Some do and some don’t. A lot of women were just really happy to be there and happy to do the work. A couple of women expressed real dissatisfaction with the wages. And of course all of them would welcome an increase.

Did you see evidence that the program provides rehabilitation for the inmates?

A lot of the inmates felt that it was rehabilitating to do the work. But in terms of recidivism rates and how they functioned once they were outside of the program and whether there was a clear path to apply what they were learning to the outside world, I didn’t see that.

And I think that’s a shame because it’s actually really incredible work that’s happening and it does feel like there’s potential for true rehabilitation. But there isn’t the extension or the resources to connect the inmates with work outside of the program.

This interview was condensed and edited for clarity.

The best part is these are pretty much all non-violent offenders who were guilty of drug possession or other petty crimes, since actually dangerous criminals wouldn't be good candidates for this work.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The US absolutely has political prisoners, but they're all convicted on trumped up charges that aren't technically political crimes.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
i'm generally not in favor

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The US absolutely has political prisoners, but they're all convicted on trumped up charges that aren't technically political crimes.

That's assuming we don't out and out murder the political dissidents, like Fred Hampton.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
we don't even need to go back to the black panthers, wasn't there a ferguson activist found in a burned out car in fairly suspicious circumstnaces

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

all of them?
nah because you got the entire drug apparatus so why make up stuff for all of them when you have a ready made excuse right there

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

tag youre fat posted:

we don't even need to go back to the black panthers, wasn't there a ferguson activist found in a burned out car in fairly suspicious circumstnaces

this guy?
https://twitter.com/KingDSeals/status/771393019517865984

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

all of them?
nah because you got the entire drug apparatus so why make up stuff for all of them when you have a ready made excuse right there

Most of America's political prisoners predate the drug war.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

http://www.acsa-arch.org/programs-events/competitions/2017-2018-steel-competition

quote:

The Steel Competition seeks to understand the potential of an architecture of alterity by positioning a third-space between difference and the same by redefining ICE, or an Immigration and Custom Enforcement Facility to create a more Humanitarian Design of a Detention Center.
For the asylum-seeker or immigrant, the in-between grey area is where the question is being addressed: does this person or family have jurisdiction to be on another country's soil? From the moment of being questioned until the time taken to obtain a definitive answer, a person’s life is suspended in time. The holding space where a person or family is detained becomes a place for those that need to await their verdict within a controlled environment. While security for the immigrants and proximity to nearby transportation is a high priority, careful design considerations must be made to make sure that each person’s and family’s most basic needs, fears and concerns will be properly handled during detainment. How can we look at the design of a Detention Center—a nonplace that exists between immigrant and citizenship, or difference and the same—as a way to architecturally humanize displacement?

jesus loving christ

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Luv 2 design humanitarian internment camps

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It looks like that Tokyo expo center where people go to sell their lolicon hentai.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dreddout posted:

Luv 2 design humanitarian internment camps

humanitarian camp = гуманитарный лагерь = gulag

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It looks like that Tokyo expo center where people go to sell their lolicon hentai.

Yeah, except far less ethical

Also drat, you gotta have balls to sell and buy hentai in a glass pyramid where the entire world can see

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dreddout posted:

Yeah, except far less ethical

Also drat, you gotta have balls to sell and buy hentai in a glass pyramid where the entire world can see

evaporated sweat and body odor forms a mist that's impenetrable to cameras

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

evaporated sweat and body odor forms a mist that's impenetrable to cameras

tactically jizzing on the security cameras so i can steal doujins

• Locked thread