Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Needs more Jim Brown being disinterested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doos
Jan 1, 2015

Needs more Joe Son dick and ball obliteration. More. More.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Guess the viewership for the first (and probably last) three episodes.

https://twitter.com/realkevinkelly/status/1782966311988891785

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Guess the viewership for the first (and probably last) three episodes.

https://twitter.com/realkevinkelly/status/1782966311988891785

he already had a podcast like 8 years ago i remember the ads on between the sheets. He should remaster them instead of making new ones

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

p*nk should have to listen to this

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Why would P!nk listen to a wrestling podcast?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

This ruled, thank you for sharing. Looks like I got a new show to subscribe to.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

edogawa rando posted:

Why would P!nk listen to a wrestling podcast?

I dunno, she seems like your cool aunt, she'd probably think it was fun.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I have heard a couple of people say that the reception was probably going on during the big show closing angle, if so, imagine Dave's (flip) phone going wild.

https://twitter.com/TheDonCallis/status/1783529977113133469

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I'm more curious what kind of fit Dave was rocking at the wedding

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh
So that’s why no WOR this morning?

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Flip phones are back in style, Dave was simply ahead of his time.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

a dumb moron posted:

So that’s why no WOR this morning?

Dave was still considering doing it during the previous show. :v:

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

Kennel posted:

Dave was still considering doing it during the previous show. :v:

He’s so weird lol

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Dango Bango posted:

I'm more curious what kind of fit Dave was rocking at the wedding

black tie dye affair

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

So I'm finally listening to the Trish and Sarah Podcast that was linked regarding Punk and my immediate thoughts are that these two are so good at this in ways 99% of wrestling podcasters just aren't, and that there was so much to the Punk situation (like losing the ESPN coverage?! Holy poo poo) that I had no idea about. It's a great listen. This is an easy sub. There's so much knowledge and clear professionalism and research that is coming out in what they're saying. It's refreshing.

Just listened and it’s AMAZING. Easy sub for me.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

What stuck out to me in that podcast was when Orange Cassidy was mentioned because while he's never really associated with the Punk controversy, his presence during that time really ties into what's going on in interesting ways. He's the Forrest Gump of the Punk/Collision run.

First Punk backs out of the Collision announcement, so they replace his image with Orange and MJF. Then Punk books Collision and chooses to never use Orange, despite the fact that Orange is there and is at most doing random ROH stuff at the end of the night. Supposedly, he is there in case Punk no-shows again. This is when Orange is at his biggest too, so it's very likely that Punk just doesn't want him around. For this, there could be many reasons. He's buddies with the Elite. Punk might hate on the gimmick, especially its success (then again, he's friends with Danhausen). I wouldn't be surprised if the Chikara association sticks in his craw.

Had Punk not imploded, his match with Ricky Starks was probably going to be the All Out main event, right? It was Chicago, for a "world title," and he had sway. Due to Brawl In, Orange ended up becoming the focal point of the main event of one of AEW's best shows in what, for the time, washed away the controversy.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That's a lot of speculation

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

It's okay, I can handle it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

My favorite part of the podcast was when they reminded me that collision under Punk was mostly squashes and bleeding ratings. What a dog poo poo start it had.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gumball Gumption posted:

My favorite part of the podcast was when they reminded me that collision under Punk was mostly squashes and bleeding ratings. What a dog poo poo start it had.

it does gently caress-all numbers now, don't think we can blam that on Punk

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Punk truthers increasingly isolated and weird

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

it does gently caress-all numbers now, don't think we can blam that on Punk

Yeah we can

He poisoned the well so thoroughly that you can't wash that stink off

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Gumball Gumption posted:

I double-checked the first card and it reminded me of how weird it was in that while it was a solid show, it felt entirely self-contained. Like it was being booked as a one-off and not something that tried to get you to tune in next week.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, that was the biggest thing that smacked me in the face about it all. That and the story of the Jericho program that never happened and how it connected to all that. There are so many pieces of the puzzle that I hadn't been able to put together. "Orange Cassidy worked that night - the ROH taping" took me out. Hearing all the stories we had been speculating on laid out one after the other in such a logical manner was unbelievable; it's a really incredible listen.

I was watching Collision as it aired! I was chatting in the GDTs! There were things that definitely stuck out that with the benefit of hindsight are like "wait, what the gently caress, that DID happen that way, huh?". Crazy stuff.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Punk's show brought back all the lapsed casuals and did 2 mill a week easy, actually. People were very clear

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Phil beating Joe in the Owen tournament was the wrong move, should've saved finally beating Joe for wembley, which I think everyone agreed since it was played up that he never beat Joe before and having Ricky turn heel at the finals when he was getting hot was wrong too. :mad:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Miching Mallecho posted:

Phil beating Joe in the Owen tournament was the wrong move, should've saved finally beating Joe for wembley, which I think everyone agreed since it was played up that he never beat Joe before and having Ricky turn heel at the finals when he was getting hot was wrong too. :mad:

They flew in Jushin Liger just to have Ricky big-league him!! The Ricky Steamboat stuff was fun and Ricky/Danielson was awesome but what the gently caress!!! They flew in Jushin Liger and barely used him!!!!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Joe in the Owen... Joewen

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Collision does fine on a terrible night for tv ratings and against sometimes intense competition as I understand it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

understanding is endorsing, be better.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

Punk's show brought back all the lapsed casuals and did 2 mill a week easy, actually. People were very clear

You mean Smackdown?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
cm punk is a bad booker lmao

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

to be fair it's hard to book well when all your top talent are on your ever growing enemies list

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Gavok posted:

First Punk backs out of the Collision announcement, so they replace his image with Orange and MJF. Then Punk books Collision and chooses to never use Orange, despite the fact that Orange is there and is at most doing random ROH stuff at the end of the night. Supposedly, he is there in case Punk no-shows again. This is when Orange is at his biggest too, so it's very likely that Punk just doesn't want him around. For this, there could be many reasons. He's buddies with the Elite. Punk might hate on the gimmick, especially its success (then again, he's friends with Danhausen). I wouldn't be surprised if the Chikara association sticks in his craw.
They also not super subtly suggested the reason for no Orange (and potentially other people) was that Punk was trying to cater to a very specific demographic (Jim Cornette and his followers) who did in fact praise Collision as "not feeling like AEW at all, it felt like an actual wrestling show" and lord knows those people fuckin' hate Orange Cassidy.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Bryan Alvarez's brain has been mushified by years of WWE and all of his complaints about AEW seem to be it should be more like WWE with recaps and whatnot. Poor guy 😔

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

apophenium posted:

Bryan Alvarez's brain has been mushified by years of WWE and all of his complaints about AEW seem to be it should be more like WWE with recaps and whatnot. Poor guy 😔

watching and reviewing every WWE TV show three times a week makes you less capable of watching an actual wrestling show

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

apophenium posted:

I'll give him they should've opened Dynamite hyping up Dynasty. And included retiring the TD91 as part of the Will/Bryan recap package since that was done on the scrum.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

If AEW is missing one thing it's a 2008-era Smackdown opening video package recapping the PPV set to slowdown and dramatic music and I'm not joking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

If AEW is missing one thing it's a 2008-era Smackdown opening video package recapping the PPV set to slowdown and dramatic music and I'm not joking

Completely agree. Those video packages made the PPV look like the coolest poo poo. It's a huge hook! Use it!!