Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
I think we are all forgetting the most important wrestling podcaster, Granny from F4W!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

I bought the subscription to the observer, and I gotta be honest - I really like Jim Valley the most of everybody there. But I think it's because of the angle he takes wrestling (plus his pop culture mind on things)

But I can't help but binge the Retro RAW and Nitro, and it really is the most magical podcast out there. You can hear the "Deep Hurting".

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Not really a wrestling podcast update - but has anybody noticed a surge in wrestling podcasts within the last couple of years? (Pre-AEW, Post-Four Horsewomen WWE)

I am seeing people who I know from video game let's plays, comic book reviewers, and leftist spaces getting into the "wrestling recap" thing, and find it fascinating.

Not because "boo, get out of here, this is *our* hobby" but in a "well, if they are interested in the products being shown, and are going to indie events, maybe their audience might get invested along with them?"

I don't think "wrestling boom" - but I do think wrestling might be scattered around, almost like the territory days, and it would not surprise me if Giant Bomb just starts covering NJPW or if YouTubers famous for covering cartoons starts talking about retro-WCW.

as long as we can all forget about what culture blampie

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Vinny's sad Ultimate Warrior impersonation was a beautiful thing to listen to.

When I'm hungry I'm now just going to say
" I want foo oo oo ood." :smith:

EDIT: Also I too want Meltzer Movie Reviews, but it has to be things with fight sequences, or any of those DCTV shows.

"Batwoman did a super kick, and that knocked out a henchmen"

TelevisedInsanity fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 4, 2019

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

before we talk about rather or not your popularity will decrease if your father is impeached or forced to resign for tweeting out the nuclear launch codes, let me tell you about omaha steaks

TelevisedInsanity fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 6, 2019

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Suplex Liberace posted:

This is the lefty wrestling community

not that many lefty circles, and most of them are just surprising in lefty podcast circles that just happen to like wrestling.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

My favorite thing is "The WWE Universe" thinking "they are biased against WWE" instead of just, y'know pointing out how even the indie darling yellow brand still has that WWE style that tarnishes creativity

"he did an move and then he did a move"

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

If what Bryan said is true, then that means "there outta be butts in seats" and all the people are gonna watch to see this GUARANTEE result!

Right? that's how it works?

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

To me, I never really cared for the spoilers at these events, mostly because it's fun trying to piece together how that match wound up with that result.

The Journey, Not The Destination.

Plus, so many friends went to Lucha Underground tapings and couldn't say what happened, but always teased so much

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

My biggest pet peeve with meltzer is his insistence "you don't have to know anything about these people" when referring to the match, while then complaining about "no build" in another match that had great technical.

I think he was right about more than WWE - extreme rules isn't going to ever beat that match. But at the same time, comparing it to big japan is a big leap.

This just tells me they did explosive cage matches

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

jesus WEP posted:

Dave’s kinda walking back his Omega/Mox hate on WOR this morning :xd: so kudos to whoever called that one

we were thinking a few months or be retreated, not a few days.

but then again, Dave is gonna Dave!

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Haven't had a chance to listen but I can't imagine Leslie Lee not making this a must listen.

https://twitter.com/EatTheRichPod/status/1194265096635256840

Leslie is a great friend, this was a pleasant listen! Also, he did cover Joshi wrestling way back before it was really cool. I think he's like many wrestling fans - jaded by WWE and it's style, and looking at other places.

If he had free time, I am sure he would write a really good series on the importance of Korakuen Hall.

But instead he's on dorky podcasts like mine.

TelevisedInsanity fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 13, 2019

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

coconono posted:

WWE has to pay podcasters to happily talk about their product, which is a sign of how dire things are.

Corey Graves is going to get "so fired" over this!

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Seams posted:

It was so good. I unironically like Tom.

I love Tom because usually on the podcasts Bryan plays the antagonist who somewhat bullies people like Producer Rob or Vinny or Craig - so when Filthy is on, not only does he provide this very dry sense of humor, he can out-bully Bryan in a way that either comes across as "the bigger kid" or "the even cooler friend in the clubhouse"

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Listening to WOR, Dave did what you expect, ignored the racism thing and ran on the "he's anti-AEW" angle

And yes, he loved today's show. Bryan is clearly tired.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

I am glad the clip is up, because that's what I heard, mostly skirting around the issue, and most likely trying to protect Cornette, Lagana and NWA (he doesn't want to burn a bridge, which understandable)

I think what happens is Bryan just has an outline, let's Dave go off for ten minutes then chimes in to follow up or if he's going in the wrong direction and the main topic of "Can AEW numbers go up" becomes about Kota Ibushi in the Tokyo Dome.

Was the ladder match and revival match on NXT really as good as all of Dynamite? Or did Dave just go to squared circle and the board?

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

lol just lol that you think the San Jose Steamroller can be controlled or contained.

He can't even get chopped by one half of the chop and roll express?

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

The only Jim we should respect is Jim Valley. That interview with Kenny was amazing, and then when Dave jumped in, he went all "I remember the Palace" and trying to explain the deathmatch and was awkward.

At least Valley knows the hard hitting questions such as - update on AEW video game, trying to get Joshi wrestling over in the U.S. and the pressure he puts himself both on and off the ring.

I think, much like Cornette, Dave is good when it comes to history and unlike Cornette, is able to explain different styles and be essentially the Blockbuster Video recommends guy, for wrestling.

IF YOU LIKE ECW DECEMBER TO DISMEMBER, TRY ALL JAPAN...

Also, you could probably come up with a better craptacular "starvation joke" - such as "he is so hungry to win, he is picturing his opponent as a GIANT turkey leg"

But alas - at least tonight is a Granny episode of B&V

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Is the Omega interview available to non-subscribers? I poked around the Wrestling Observer listings on Apple podcasts, but didn’t see anything.

check your PMs my goon friend.

Jerusalem posted:

That guy from Cauliflower Alley they interviewed recently had a really good take on Cornette when they asked him about it I thought, where he basically said (this is paraphrased): "I really like Jim, I've always gotten on with him, but some things you say are simply unforgivable and if you can't change with the times then get out of the business."

No excuses, no qualifiers, just "It's unforgivable" and telling him to get out if he's going to keep on with this bullshit.

I am so glad I'm not the only person who found that hilarious :)

People are sleeping on Jim Valley because they are so used to Dave Meltzer tangents and Bryan "Minus Five Stars" Alvarez talking about bad wrestling.

But Jim has the viewpoint of wrestling that matches that of so many wrestling audiences, he can effectively explain *WHY* Cody Rhodes is the best wrestler in the world and even record a wrestling segment while inside Six Flags Magic Mountain.

A master of many trades, and one that also is trying his best to promote Cauliflower Alley whenever possible to help those in need.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Midnightghoul posted:

All those weeks of practice from going after people with 3 followers has paid off

Classic wrestling booking, attack the no names to look strong, then go after the midcard guy who is on a streak of bad takes

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

jesus WEP posted:

Rob might be the dumbest person in radio

Producer Rob is the perfect kind of stupid, the kind that would eat a spicy chip on air BEFORE the christmas show.

(He's also actually very sweet and nice!)

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Dave Meltzer going onto a tangent is great when it's something he clearly enjoys like new japan or stories when he was on the road in the 80s and 90s, because it reminds me of my mom (and I am sure some people's parents here) where you bring up a musician from when they were in high school or college age and they would just give this big 10-20 minute discussion about what happened and who was there, and then somehow talk about a movie for some reason, until losing track that you were simply pointing out the song was used for a Diet Soda ad.

I still wonder what they are gonna do when the Retro Nitros end, we are less than a year away!

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGlaf9NRFFU

Chasing the Over 50 Demo

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I did the same until the first time Dave and Bryan started demonstrating that they haven't the slightest clue what marginalized people go through and then I unsubscribed.

It's only gotten worse since.

Being "woke" isn't a marketing thing. I don't want people to performatively be good people. I want them to actually be good people. Because I'm giving them my money.

I used to go to Bryan's house every year for Summerslam, and he's a nice guy. Craig and Vinny super aren't, but Bryan is. But he doesn't get it. And for a long time, I thought that sucked, sure, but it wasn't a deal breaker, because he lives in a bubble.

But I haven't gone back lately because I don't feel safe around him or Vinny or Craig or Granny or the other people that go, because nothing that has ever happened over there has led me to believe that they'd be cool about queer people. Trans folks in particular.

And now that I'm out of the closet and living as me, and I can't show up in stealth mode, I wonder why I was ever okay with their bubble. Because it shouldn't be on me to forgive them for not understanding. It should be on them for not knowing. Why should I feel bad for being me? Why shouldn't they face concequences for being them?

It's 2019. Queerfolx are normal as gently caress. If you don't know how to act, that's on you.

Dave and Bryan are carrying water for their racist friend.

Knowing what would happen, you would most likely get deadnamed over and over and then be used as a token.

I wish they would know better, but it sounds like they are either too far in the bubble, or just haven't figured out the empathy yet.

I think Bryan is just gonna protect the rear end in a top hat friend out of benefit for the "scoops", but I'm glad there is an ounce of decency there.

I guess we will have our own Super China Buffet Day.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

JT Smiley posted:

The three of them have such great chemistry that its definitely going into my rotation, just a shame there's tons of points where they are extremely careful about their words.

superstar
sports entertainment
medical facility
wweuniverse

or is it because pg podcast?

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

TTBF posted:

The latest B&V&G show has a part where Vinny says that years ago the pay for F4W was so low that he wasn't earning enough from the podcasts to stop qualifying for unemployment insurance.

Was that why he was doing outside podcasts like locked on Seahawks and then when it flopped had that severe sad slump?

I remember when somebody, as a joke, used it as a song, and it really bummed him out.

I hope Vinny gets a good income, COWARD BRYAN

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

So we're talking the "TNAwful" years of the site?

I gotta get my history down, I've only started listening since they recapped Lucha Underground

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WYnzQWYySA

the lengths people go through to get famous on the internet

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

i look forward to this david, following the Ny64, it got me looking into some of this scummy stuff and was surprised not that many people talked about it.

Are you going to cover the Plane Ride from Hell in it?

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Happy B&V Christmas show day, for some reason, Filthy Tom is playing the role of Lance Storm this week and being the moral compass.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Look at all these fools, out of touch with modern technology :hmmno:

It's spelled RADIO :mmmsmug:

Tell me everything you know.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"they are telling me to log off, but I remember this one time I had to turn off my computer, and it was the night before I had to fly out to the Tokyo Dome and when I was at the airport Ishii was there and we had a conversation about DDT and the thing about DDT..."

- Melter, probably.

On the positive side though, I'm just glad Jim Valley is back on observer from time to time, and I'm wondering if Andrew Zarian and Mike Sepervive would be a better combo if Bryan wants to just stick to B&V and whatever they call Filthy's Show and Lance's show.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

sounds like the worst combo on the entire network

(It is)

But then again I'm just a fan of Tom Lawlor dunking on Bryan every week.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Call Granny up and have her host an episode

"Wrestling Observer Live, we're here every day... Bryan Alvarez here with Mike Sim Freeze... but I'm not Bryan."

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Does bix still post here? I need to know!

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

drat. Hate to see it.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

On the positive side

https://twitter.com/theoreotheorca/status/1615475449433579520?t=n38sByXnKr6uU3Rf8A6gpA&s=19

OREO LIVES!

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Edward Mass posted:

I liked the guy who said "Stone Cold" Steve Austin was winning the Royal Rumble and then beating Roman Reigns. He had spunk.

Tim is such a gimmick.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"a soda match, Bryan. they built him up for a SODA MATCH"

E:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC3H5faHRKk

TelevisedInsanity fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jan 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

I just think we need more Jim Valley, I'm so glad he's back and has become scorched earth over Bryan and just the happiest fan of it, and treats it like the neverending comic book.