Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

If I remember right, there was a brief period where a couple of unofficial comments were made (by HHH?) that seemed like they were testing waters to see what the reaction to a Hogan return would be, and then suddenly they just shut up entirely about it. Which makes me figure that at least one sponsor told them,"Hire back Hogan and you lose our sponsorship."

I'm actually surprised they let AJ do the '"WELL YA KNOW SOMETHIN MEAN GENE", to be honest. Especially when the Flair angle is right there and you could maybe even have had Ric show up at the end of the promo and shake AJ's hand, make some kind of winking reference to being his old mentor or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Can I get an example of what you guys consider a good english-speaking PBP announcer that is currently working? Because the impression I get is that you'd prefer there be no commentary, or to listen to Funaki and the other dude yell in Japanese over Gargano/Almas.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

exploded mummy posted:

Non drunk Jim Ross

Replace 'slobberknocker' with 'mama mia' and random Southern aphorisms with references that aren't a century old and that's Mauro.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

"If you don't like Mauro your standards are impossibly high" is a bad hill to die on friendo

Good thing that's not really my point. JR hasn't been consistently great in about... a decade? More? Yes, he can be decent at times, and has credibility in how invested he is when a match is great, but, like, Mauro going nuts for Gargano/Almas isn't OVERselling it. It's reacting because he's a wrestling fan seeing the best match WWE has had in like 5 years, from closer than the front row. What's he supposed to do?

Besides, my original question was because the people that complain about Mauro also poo poo on JR on New Japan, poo poo on Kelly on New Japan, poo poo on whoever does ROH and TNA, and poo poo on Cole and Tom, so... like... who's left? Who is actually good?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Him shouting cliche after cliche is just garbage and he makes nearfalls blatantly obvious. He was awful in Strikeforce but this was a new level. Kelly is pretty good, as is Callis, I imagine Nigel is still good, everyone loves Graves so don't act like no one likes any English commentators.

Nigel and Corey are both heel colour guys. Hence why I asked what people consider good play-by-play announcers. And I could have sworn I've seen you burying Kelly and Callis in the past. Maybe I'm conflating that with burying JR and Barnett.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

The coward gave his chair away to allow a heel beatdown :mad:

He knew Kota wouldn't let it happen, he was just giving them the little push they needed to reconcile.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Venomous posted:

Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan are the only good English language commentators in history

Would you stop?!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

VJeff posted:

Little late to PBP chat but shout out to Kelly and Callis losing their minds when Jericho challenged Kenny. It could've been obnoxious as hell but instead it totally sold the moment.

Kelly, however, did sound like he had a stroke on Sunday, for the Omega/Ibushi angle. "IBOOOOOOOOSHEEEEEEEEEEE!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Go RV! posted:

I don't know who those people are but this podcast is loving great

They are also correct about Johnny Gargano. He is a precious baby and must be kept safe.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Austin did a couple with Billy Gunn that weren't bad, and the latest is with Chris Jericho, which I haven't listened to yet

I listened to some of it. Jericho did pitch an interesting idea which was to send people out in front of the crowd to cut unscripted promos during Main Event tapings. That way you don't need to worry about them loving up live on air, can gauge whether they have 'it' or need work, and it gets them used to talking in front of the live crowd.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Styles and Daniels as midcarders holding the US or TV title would've been good set up for a few years later where they could transition to the main event.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Oh boy, Semp in 4K!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

Darts is doing it now with Thursday Night Darts on BBC!https://twitter.com/BBCAMERICA/status/959244992114929664?s=19

Darts players have been doing the wrestling/MMA/boxing walkouts for a while. Fans even have signs.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's amazing that Tanahashi was wrestling Roddy Strong on Xplosion like 6 months before his first IWGP title.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

coconono posted:

IIRC both were sub-10 minute matches and neither really got to showcase any of their skills.

And people wonder why the NJPW lockerroom started laughing when Scott D'Amore apologized.

To be fair, Tanahashi did that match because he had a PPV one with AJ like 2 days earlier.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Haha I just got to that part.

"Are you on a 30 second delay?"

Edit: Meltzer recounting Being the Elite like it is his favorite soap opera... :allears:

I like the idea of Dave going on to YouTube every day and being disappointed there's no new video, even though he knows when they post.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tasky posted:

Dude has gotta be working right? I mean, he sounds like he's cutting a promo the whole time, and seeing as Jericho is tight with Callis, you'd think this is them drumming up some buzz for the grudge match that's gonna happen when Eddie's healthy. And he's had guys on his podcast in-character before.

I dunno, maybe it's just my belief in general human decency, but no one can be that big of a piece of poo poo and be serious.... Right??

Has he had anyone else on who was kayfabing since Matt Hardy?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

this is like saying Misawa was a great "TV match wrestler" because a shitload of puro house shows got broadcast on television

Ric Flair was a great TV match wrestler. Source: Clash of The Champions was a TV show.

Your definition of 'TV match' is ridiculously pedantic to the point of meaning "modern WWE A/B show TV match". 30 years ago a TV match was a squash match, or on something like Clash or SNME it was the same as a main event house show match. In Japan and Mexico the latter definition hasn't really changed. Hell, TNA and Lucha Underground regularly have their big blow off matches on TV now because they don't have/no one buys their PPVs.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 17, 2018

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Bryan, Chico
Bryan, Daniel(son)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

St Evan Echoes posted:

Dave always goes full heel when talking about YTR and I get mad every time

He was actually really complimentary of the SANADA/YTR match in the Observer.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Can't wait for Dave to compare Okada to another wrestler and then Gedo interrupts to explain that there is no comparison.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Okada calling out the Rock as the US wrestler he'd like to face was great

WK13 main event confirmed. (Vince would literally poo poo himself if this happened.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

dsriggs posted:

Are you suggesting that having Bryan & Vinny spend multiple episodes talking about who they’d gently caress would improve the show?

...have you ever listened to the B&V Show before?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Listening to the Wrestlesplainia Bryan episode and please, please tell me someone has tweeted them the promo where Ryback talked about the Secret for 10 minutes on Raw.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Dave: "You don't need, like, a bracket if there's only 4 teams"
Bryan: "I want a bracket if there's only TWO teams!"
Dave: "That's just a match, though..."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I mean, a main event with two vanilla midgets on top? Who's gonna care about that?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I thought the Santo/Octagon vs Barr/Guerrero mask vs hair match got 5?

Also, Cornette's making a comic book?
http://www.comicsbeat.com/jim-cornette-nwa-wcw-wwf-wwe-brings-some-wrestling-stories-to-comics/

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 14, 2018

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

But if they wrestle the Bucks, Bryan can't do the superkick. That's like 25% of his arsenal gone!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

VJeff posted:

My takeaway is that Dave is afraid Mark Henry will beat him up if he calls him small

Hell, same

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

coconono posted:

Titles don't mean poo poo in WWE, they're props.

Mr Russo, I'm not sure if anyone has explained this to you, but key props or 'McGuffins' are only effective when the characters and plot treat them as important, regardless of their intrinsic value. By doing so, the prop GAINS intrinsic value and can be used to bring a supporting character into the spotlight.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wasn't one of the ICP movies a gangster film?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Every so often Bryan Alvarez shows how much he'd be exactly as bad as WWE normally is at booking and his decrying the Dakota Kai angles with Shayna Baszler is one of those. You take those segments out and Shayna's a bully that no-one is scared of, which kills the gimmick and makes the babyfaces seem less badass when they're NOT scared of her.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

checksin posted:

honma improved from being paralyzed

And Daniel Bryan is no longer a farm.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Calling this out got him to apologize and offer refunds. Now think about what he is talking about with regard to continued piling on after he offered refunds. At that point it isn't about change, and a lot of that piling on is by people acting in extreme bad faith because they go around all day on twitter acting as apologists for the absolute worst people in wrestling.

Basically. I mean we actually had someone IN THIS THREAD claim that whether or not Omega knew the guy was a sex offender wasn't the point, which... I legitimately don't know what the point is then, because if we accept that he didn't know, and that he apologised and offered refunds, and presumably will be more careful in future... what more do people want? Do they want Omega to flog himself and post an Instagram video of it?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I love wrestling and I love Doctor Who, and I loving hate this.

What if it was Bryan and Dave reviewing Who?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm not sure what's more likely, Bryan or Dave losing their mind over the TARDIS being bigger on the inside.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Yeah, it was a super bowl or some other playoff game, I forget exactly which.

It was when the Seahawks won the superbowl a few years ago.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Upset Dave didn't follow up with more Kamen Rider questions when Tanahashi name dropped that

"Sure it's crappy that, y'know, they wouldn't count Tackle as a Rider but it was the mentality, it was a different time! Stronger was still a hell of a babyface even if he didn't draw as big as the previous top guy, and no-one else had much luck on TV when Inoki and Baba were running things"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

coconono posted:

Same. The rough translations I’ve read about Tana talking toku is he has a pretty deep appreciation for Kamen Rider.

And from what I understand Okada is more into Ultraman so that gives their rivalry a whole new level.

Didn't Tanahashi do a cameo in, I wanna say Kamen Rider Decade?

e: Also, just started listening to the interview, and um... literally the very first thing Dave says is wrong. He says Tana and Flair are the only guys to win Wrestler Of The Year 3 years running. Kobashi did it too. (And Misawa can make the list if you just count winning it 3 times period)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is Eric still mad Pillman worked him into shoot firing him?