Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Attitude Era Poscast is good, even if it's moved on from it's namesake. I admit I also liked Kevin Sullivan's show when I listened to it, as he reminds me of a cross between Grampa Simpson and Carol Kane.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

He got real good at having great matches when he didn't have to work more than a half dozen times a year. And then he broke down so even that wasn't really enough.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I enjoyed their Shotgun Saturday Night match where Taker tombstoned him at the top of the escalator and HHH rode it down to hell.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

So you're saying... There's a chance?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

In the modern climate for that sort of thing, WWE are going to have to wait a long goddamn time/forever to bring Hogan back if they want to avoid a loud public backlash.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

What makes Hogan worth bringing back is that he is a newsworthy personage and what makes him impossible to bring back is that same newsworthyness. He's too big to ignore.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Whenever I see a lucha match on an indy supershow or something I am amazed and want to see more. On the other hand, when I actually go out of my way to watch an actual show , what I get was that Triplemaina hosted by Matt Striker. That said, I did catch a couple of Atlantis mask matches and they were pretty drat decent, if still a little harder to get into due to the style than NJPW style stiff fests.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Venomous posted:

So if Russo hadn’t come into power, who could’ve replaced Bischoff and potentially saved WCW? The only name that comes to mind rn is Jerry Jarrett.

I feel like any name we know is the wrong choice. I don’t think WWE is necessarily wrong in going with television writers or any other sort of serialized storyteller, it’s just the environment that does them in, along with the tyranny of Vince McMahon.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Roman is a magnified Sheamus from a couple of years ago. He will find his place in a tag team or in the mid card sometime down the road. People will never forget though, and any attempt to move him back up the card will see whatever reactions he is getting by that point turned to boo’s again.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

As a fan of good wrestling, Dave very obviously wants to see Bryan/Okada. Can't blame the guy.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

For the sake of sheer selfishness, I want Bryan to leave the WWE. On the matter of his health, it's a mixed bag, Indy/New Japan tend toward a style tougher on the body, WWE on the other hand tend toward unnecessary gimmick matches and ridiculous schedules. For all the issues I have with their booking, I really don't want to see Daniel Bryan in the Money in the Bank.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Nobody want's to burn bridges with the only big game in town until they no longer have a viable option to go there, and by then the statute of limitations is always up.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Meltzer absolutely trying to incite a strike right now.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

He spent most of the first 30 minutes of WOR laying out every reason the wrestlers need to unionize, while also saying after every section of it that they wont, but they should, but they wont.

The gist is that they make poo poo money compared to athletes in organizations making similar money to the WWE and that there is no longer any time constraints on it, they don't need to hold up a Wrestlemania or the like, tv every week is now a big enough show that the wrestlers have tons of leverage that they could use to get what they want.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 22, 2018

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah. That TV deal is what gives the workers so much leverage. TV becoming the source of WWE money means holding up tv is now enough to hurt WWE if demands are not met. Previously, as I alluded to before, it would have had to happen before a real big show in order for it be something WWE couldn't just ignore.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Rowdy Ringsports › Wrestling Podcasts: He's tall and orange and everything, but...

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

RBX posted:

People like Bisch doing these podcasts are really in a no win situation. It's word against word, people for some reason treat certain people's word as gospel and others are nothing, and they're getting grilled about stuff from over 20 years ago like anybody would remember the most minute poo poo. It's just entertainment but people take it so seriously.

Having the story to tell at all is a win for them, and is how they are buttering their bread these days, what with their career in the wrestling business going belly up like it has. Look at Russo, made good in the 90’s, lived off a dwindling rep in the aughts, reduced to a podcaster in the 10’s, hopefully he disappears for his next trick.

I think there is a lot be said for how excited these guys are and were to talk about and rehash Montreal, it’s the most important thing that ever happened for them, for Meltzer, it was Tuesday, in Texas*.

*Sunday in Montreal

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

RBX posted:

I understand. I'm just talking generally anyway.

Did their career go belly up? They made millions and live conformable. What, are they supposed to do the same stuff the rest of their life? They got 10 years+ out of wrestling. It's a job, not a lifestyle. And reduced to a Podcaster is funny as if it's not one of the best jobs to have currently or that podcasts aren't insanely popular. Hell you're talking down Dave and Bryan if that's the case.

The only one who's talked about Montreal is Bruce and that was a long time ago, only once, and was requested. I think you're making up that narrative in your head.

I was thinking of Bischoff and Russo specifically, and the others perhaps less so, but yes, I absolutely believe they are podcasting because it's the only thing in wrestling left for them. they both rode past success in the business to ever less spectacular failure until they no longer have people willing to hire them to work directly in wrestling. This is especially funny with Russo, who from all stories told, never liked wrestling in the first place, and yet still he clings to the edges of it like a lifeline.

Podcasting isn't embarrassing in and of itself, it's totally cool, though I would go so far as to say that it is secondary as to what Dave Meltzer's job actually is.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 6, 2018

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

How is it all these years later and people still don't get that within the fiction of Nitro, Sid's streak was bogus.

People get less willing to give creative the benefit of the doubt on things when everything else is stupid too.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

"Kota Ibushi did a match with a stuffed animal in ah, Dallas Texas, that I saw, that was better than the majority of matches in WWE."

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

cronox2 posted:

Oh god the Domino's review segment on Filthy Four today is amazing.

So unexpectedly positive on quality of product if not experience!

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

WWE: You can either be proud or get paid.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

interesting how “the last 5 years or so” is roughly the amount of time everyone’s been able to go onto the WWE network and see that ECW actually had a whole pile of poo poo on their shows

As someone who has been watching the occasional ECW show, but from another source, I can say that the music is a big part of the shows feel and there is no way WWE production tracks make up for it.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Bischoff and Russo have been squeezing the sponge that is their wrestling success for decades now to ever diminishing returns. Somehow it hasn't dried up completely yet. I do admit I look forward to wrestling superstar Russo pics and allegations that a PR handler is crafting all those insane Bischoff tweets because they own the rights to whatever he had the right left to sell.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Defunctland is very good

Well the videos are - I didn't know they had a podcast

Podcast is great. Terri Hardin eps in particular.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Shiiiiiiit yeah he's right. I am cishet as all gently caress, but Finn is up there with Paul McGann and young Philip Michael Thomas when it comes to making me question that.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Sep 28, 2018

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

Um...

Not your sexuality, but your gender? Did you get a brain wire crossed when you were typing this?

Endless Mike posted:

Maybe he is homophobic but not transphobic? Somehow?

LividLiquid posted:

I imagine it was innocent. I've made weirder mistakes when I was tired.

I used a word I was not super familiar with and thought it meant hetero by itself instead of having to be combined with het to make sense that way. Having looked it up now, yeah, sorry about that.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Sep 28, 2018

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Lance is cool. He might even be smart for a wrestler. It's just, smart for a wrestler means he's libertarian. Kane gets talked about like he's one of the smartest guys in the business too.

Now Kevin Nash, that guy is just smart.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Joey McChrist posted:

eh, i like nash but he's said his fair share of dumbass/gross things

plus he believes in chemtrails

I want to say I'm disappointed, but I guess that puts him at par for a wrestler. Dammit.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It was a great show. Jake though, and I am happy he is in a better place now and wish him well in the future as well, seems to still be the sort of person who would tell Joe Pesce in Goodfellas to go get his fuckin shinebox. Jesus that guy has to be a massively frustrating person to live with even sober. DDP is absolutely a carnie saint.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

As the Sin Limite's showed, even Semperveve was a good co host with Dave, telling me that Dave is just an interesting guy to listen too, and sometimes a person less familiar with him brings out more from him than the very familiar Bryan, who seems to go out of his way to avoid triggering Dave tangents when he can.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

The concept of "you can not concede a match outside of the ring" is dumb as hell. So what happens if you are stuck in an inescapable hold outside? You're just stuck there forever until you die???

The concept of no rules matches in general is dumb as hell from an actual combat sports standpoint.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Make sure to seek out the Sin Limite's with Dave and Mike Semperveve. As is pretty much always the case, no matter how irritating they might be on their own, somehow each member of the Observer/FFD team has really good chemistry when podcasting with Dave, and you often get more out there stories when it isn't Bryan the Takmaster Alvarez trying to get the podcast in audible and without dead air.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah, Waltman's was so good they gave it to the women's division as a whole for years.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

VJeff posted:

I'm actually really curious now if it was a worked gutterball or a shoot gutterball.

My little brother used to get real mad when he wasn't winning so when he would throw shoot gutter balls he would get all flustered and start intentionally working them, but he would stay mad, so I half feel he was trying to shoot do better. Always working himself into a shoot but don't know it a work when you work a work and work yourself into a shoot, marks.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Of all the people podcasting under the Observer banner, only Fumi approaches Dave when it comes to my wanting to listen to every show he's on. He is that interesting/has that many interesting stories. Lance is like a distant third.

Edit: Definately look up the Wrestle Kingdom time period ones and WOR's from then because him and Dave together is pretty great.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 14, 2019

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

coconono posted:

WWE needs to figure out who they're catering to: bootlicking protofascists or wildass proto-anarachists. Then stick with that group for a decade or so.

I think they picked the former over a decade ago.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The politics of what movies Dave gets to watch is fascinating.

It is also funny seeing Bryan make the argument for Braun on Dave that Lance was trying to make for Becky on him.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

A Vince book about anyone would be fascinating for the insight into how Vince see's the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

A full chapter that starts about the steroid trial and devolves a paragraph and a half in to ranting about how he sneezed and goes on for 12 pages.