Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

I'm kinda nervous about what Dave will have to say regarding Cornette on the next WOR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

I don't see a problem with somebody not liking some of the spookier stuff in AEW. Although it is true that Dave is much more generous to WWE than AEW in his reviews of the shows.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

The criticism about pushing the Young Bucks and Kenny Omega hard instead of having them be in slumps at first is legitimate. The payoffs when they win the titles is going to be amazing but it is awhile away.

Some of the other criticism that's out there? Oh boy...

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Pinche Rudo posted:

Dropped the Rudocast best of 2019 and the 2010s awards yesterday. We handed out awards for the best wrestlers, matches, goodest poo poo, and worst non-WWE promotion. I think in future years we'll rename that one the Dixie Carter Dumpster Fire award.

https://rudospodcast.co/episode-23-best-of-2019-and-decade-awards/

Listening to this now. First good wrestling podcast I've heard in awhile.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Pinche Rudo posted:

Thank you! We drop an episode every week or so and talk about pretty much everything non-WWE: NJPW, AEW, Indies, Lucha, Puro, etc. The rest of our episodes are up on the website and various podcasting platforms: https://rudospodcast.co/

Sweet! I'll check them out!

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

MJeff posted:

I get a kick out of the way Bryan and Dave get really mad when the other gets impugned like this.

In fairness they both do get a lot of undeserved criticism from idiots. On the other hand there is a bunch of legitimate criticism that kind of gets overshadowed by the stupidity.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Low Desert Punk posted:

Bryan is completely correct with his take about Dark and Being the Elite. There are hundreds and hundreds of thousands of people that just watch Dynamite and don't watch the YouTube stuff, and they shouldn't have to in order to not miss basic storyline elements

They shouldn't have to and they don't. Unless you're thinking that there are hundreds of thousands of people as dumb as the person who recaps Dynamite for Bryan and Dave's website.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Seams posted:

Bryan praises something in a WWE show, sometimes more than one thing, every single week. In fact I think he and Dave are sometimes too kind to the WWE product.

I stopped subscribing recently but I always found that to be true as well. Like RAW would be totally rancid for three hours and then Dave would describe it as "a good show overall".

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Anyone know why Dave doesn't like Snowden?

Also, I too would recommend the Shamrock book. It's quite a dark read so far but it's really good.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Big Bidness posted:

Snowden is a real dickhead. Just a dog poo poo personality. He also happens to have a really deep knowledge of MMA history.

But he was unbelievably irritating when he wrote about modern stuff. Maybe he's changed- I quit reading anything he wrote years ago- but he constantly wrote click bait before that was even a term. He must have really loved those "Post your contentious opinions about..." threads on DVDVR back in the day.

I can see that. On his Twitter he mostly seems cool then occasionally posts something stupid.

Mostly cool but occasionally stupid is Dave's brand!

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

I like Bix. I do not like anyone at f4w with the possible exception of Jim Valley.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Seams posted:

in the newest WOL Bryan says 'theres a gigantic spider climbing on the wall' and i thought it was some kind of weird metaphor about the systemic problems in wrestling but no, there was an actual gigantic spider climbing on his wall.

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought that at first!

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

hunnert car pileup posted:

it's only about the 23rd time in the last year that certain people here have tried to cancel Dave

To be fair he has written / said stupid stuff recently. But yeah.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

ItohRespectArmy posted:

going to start a podcast where I just say my thoughts about WWE so people can see what happens when someone genuinely despises and is biased against WWE.

Can I co-host?

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Khan brings up good points about Gedo's unnecessary humiliation of Tanahashi and Ibushi during the covid era in that interview.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Super No Vacancy posted:

it is also funny to me that tony still watches new japan

Why wouldn't he?

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Oh don't get me wrong NJPW is still the best, I just had that one complaint about Ibushi and Tanahashi.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Wait why did Bryan think Brandi was a heel in the Shaq segment last night?

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

You shouldn't have posted it at all. I have no idea what you or the guy who wrote that are trying to accomplish.

Or I do have some idea and it makes me sick to think about.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

HPJoker posted:

Les Thatcher went off on Dave and Bryan for similar reasons as Karl. He felt like a red-headed stepchild because no one ever talked about him. If you take a look at his show threads on THE BOARD, no one listens to his show either.

Well I listened to whatever show Les Thatcher does once! I wasn’t impressed by what I heard but that’s at least one listen.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

There is no loving way AEW has any significant amount of casual viewers

What makes you say that? I guess it depends on how causal is defined but from what I've seen they probably have a lot more casual viewers than any other US promotion.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I can’t imagine anyone casually watching wrestling in 2021 and not being a big fan already.

Because of the lack of crowds? That's possible.

I guess I've seen so much anecdotal reporting of people new to wrestling getting into AEW and watching. Also how the AEW ratings are hurt much more than NXT by big non-wrestling events.

Hard to say without lots of specific data though I guess.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

I actually laughed out loud at that.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Here is a wrestling podcast done by two friends of mine: https://www.torturewracked.com/podcast

They just released episode 22 where they talk about NJPW, the Royal Rumble, and the wrestling debut of Haunted Francis!

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

New episode of the Torture Wracked podcast is up!

https://torturewracked.podbean.com/e/vol-23-brave-billy-avery-interview/

This episode is an interview with indie wrestler 'Brave' Billy Avery.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

I've seen a lot of people here say Lance has a great mind for wrestling, but from the bits I've heard from him on f4w podcasts that does not seem to be the case. What am I missing?

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

It should probably also be noted that it was a lights out match and therefore would not count on their win-loss record.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Remember the wrestling of a few weeks ago? Well now you can relive it with this brand new episode of the Torture Wracked podcast!

https://torturewracked.podbean.com/e/vol-29-gcw-tournament-of-death-666-wwe-hell-in-a-cell-2021-njpw-dominion/

Check it out!

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Germansimp posted:

He did do one tag match with Lawlor against NDK, but that was it, so I kinda doubt it. Although now that I see Bryan and Rocky mentioned, I kinda do want to see the "Battle of the Chicos", Alvarez vs El Luchador. Though that's probably more of a Talk'n'Shopamania match than Strong.

Didn't they have a tag match against The Rock N' Roll Express as well?

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

escape artist posted:

Oh poo poo. I didn't realize it was that serious. Can you help me understand why he is so hated?

edit: bad snipe; I still love Something To Wrestle With.... even though it's like one new episode every two months.

For me I would say his insane wrestling takes are annoying but my main issue with him is his cruelty towards others.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Ringo Roadagain posted:

I dont remeber jeff looking as bad as lance is saying but maybe I wasn't paying as much attention

I mean it’s Lance Storm talking about AEW. He’s gonna hugely exaggerate any negative and if that’s not possible just make something up.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

the escape goat posted:

how can people listen to this guy, he just sounds all aggro all the time but not in a fun Alvarez way

https://twitter.com/phoenixyassine/status/1570444055808561152?s=46&t=5LoWIYDonUvnc1bUtvUCNg

Different strokes and all but for me the VoW flagship is probably the only current wrestling podcast worth listening to.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Mrenda posted:

What podcasts can I listen to (or vodcasts I can watch) are about modern wrestling (I only watch AEW at the moment but decent coverage of other stuff might get me interested,) deal with the business side as well, and don't charge me money, especially when the money being charged is more than what FITE charges to actually watch wrestling.

I looked through the op and some charge money, some are about older wrestling, some are interviews, and some are mainly about WWE.

Something where I can engage in the age old online behaviour of guffawing along with or at their opinions (as opposed to being comedy) would be nice too.

Voices of Wrestling Flagship maybe? They do have a Patreon but the main weekly show is free.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Orange Carlisle posted:

two wrestling scoopsters going at each other about which one is more credible is sad

very funny, but still sad

Err, is that what is happening?

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

yea ok posted:

yeah they're great

Yeah the voices of wrestling flagship is one of the very few wrestling podcast worth anything these days in my opinion.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Sounds like I should check out Deadlock!

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

CopywrightMMXI posted:

My Observer subscription recently expired and I haven’t renewed yet. I like most of the podcasts but I found myself skipping a lot of recap shows and really just browse the newsletter itself. I will probably renew but just thought I’d see how people find other subscription services. Does anyone subscribe to Fightful or VoW? Do you feel you get your money’s worth?

I love the Voices of Wrestling patreon. More for analysis / entertainment than scoops though there is some of that as well.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Sounds like a good time to drop the WWE.

The best time to stop watching WWE was twenty years ago, the second best time is now.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

MJeff posted:

People in AEW have referred to the MJF/Cole storyline as "our Bloodline", soooooo.

Yeah Lanza is unfortunately right about the MJF / Adam Cole stuff being the same type of thing as the Bloodline.

I would argue that AEW's version is not nearly as bad but the comparison is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

fart blood posted:

Why are Bryan Alvarez and Dave Meltzer baffled so much by the booking of the ROH six man match on Dynamite? I didn’t watch the show because I no longer have cable but I read the results on the observer site and it looks very straightforward because Swerve and Hangman have a feud. I don’t get what was hard to follow here.

Honestly the creative around that match was pretty lazy. Why is the rematch clause thing invoked so randomly? Why did Hangman wrestle a normal match against Swerve's buddies after what Swerve did? Why did Hangman do the dumbest possible thing at the worst time and fall for Swerve's plan?

I don't subscribe to the observer anymore so I can't actually answer your question though unfortunately!