Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

apophenium posted:

Why does he love NXT so much. The way they talk about Ilja Dragunov I almost wanna watch it

Ilja very much rules and everything he does is guaranteed to be a blast. He just never stops moving. There's a lot of genuine good in NXT but it's choked out by virtue of being A WWE Product and having a lot of very untested wrestlers around. Some interesting presentation and interesting gimmicks. I wouldn't say it's worth seeking out, exactly, but there are both better and worse ways to spend your time than by watching highlights.

I could not tell you why he loves NXT so much because it's not amazing but it might have something to do with the small cast and fixed location allowing for solid week-to-week storytelling. And maybe he just really likes fishing vignettes or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

If you're going to just randomly drop allegations in an unrelated conversation the least you could do is have hard evidence but honestly it's just such an unnecessary thing to say when that wasn't even the conversation at hand. And you clearly didn't "remember things" clearly enough if you had to ask when you made your post.

There's no reason to even bring that up when the conversation is "I'm interested in listening to this episode of a podcast featuring a wrestler from a time that doesn't get a lot of coverage, and who transitioned". This is getting ridiculous in how often it's happened lately. It just brings things down for zero benefit. If it turns out that episode of Talk Is Jericho has her espousing those views, then we can talk.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Just started listening to the Gabbi Tuft TIJ episode and yeah, she really has chilled out a lot, but also so much of her experience early on in the company hits really close to home. "An environment where you're almost afraid to be at your job" and "you're being told ten different things by ten different people and also told to respect all of them, which leads to you afraid to try anything new". Wrestling can be an incredible place but it can be so demeaning and demoralizing too, so many intangibles you're expected to grasp at all times. This is a really good listen so far and I'm really impressed at all the little details she remembers about her run, from names of agents to stories of heat. It is so cool to hear from this era since so much has changed since in what feels like a short amount of time and yet it rarely gets covered in stuff like this. Looking forward to listening to more later.

The praise for Matt Cardona was nice. :)

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

RVD is a stoner with wrestlerbrain who does non-working bits, it's not particularly deep

Evergreen Big Damo tweet here.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Was listening to a slightly older episode of Talk is Jericho with Adam Copeland from right when he debuted in AEW and in it he talked about The Greatest Wrestling Match Ever™. I wasn't watching when that happened but it sounds to me like it was basically Vince tossing them some insane idea with no real explanation ("Build to something I can bill as The Greatest Wrestling Match Ever dammit") and Edge and Orton had to figure out what it was supposed to mean. The idea they came up with was that it was a giant tribute match to all kinds of eras and wrestling styles, and apparently the 48-minute time was a one-take they did and neither realized they went that long.

He then mentioned that after the match they filmed several pickup shots that in the end he didn't like - including a first-person RKO where he tore his tricep. Rough. And those pickup shots were included in the edit and in his words "I hated what they ended up showing, but Vince loved it. But when I watched the unedited footage, I loved it."

He then went on to say that the branding of the match was dumb because there's no such thing as one single Greatest Wrestling Match Ever but specifically shouted out Nick Bockwinkel and Terry Funk AJPW matches as his personal faves. He's so right for this.

Just thought these were fun little tidbits from the interview!

Erin M. Fiasco fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 21, 2023

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

I thought it was just SEO so when people (as they often do, probably) googled The Greatest Wrestling Match Ever, it would come up, like how the Elden Ring devs named the horse Torrent to defeat the pirates.

Adam said that "we have YouTube" was part of the reasoning he was given, so, yeah probably. lmfao

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

:laffo:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

0konner posted:

Well the tribute to other eras does at least explain what was a baffling and contextless intro to that match where the ghost of Howard Finkel was ring announcing on an old school MSG suspended microphone.

Yeah, he specifically mentioned that part actually!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Dave smoking that poo poo that got Matt Sydel kicked out of Japan

lmfao

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

1glitch0 posted:

I've read your posts, you might want to be thankful for something else.

Quit while you're behind. This is a dumb hill to die on and there was no reason to bring this conversation back.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Okay, I was letting it ride because I thought it was funny, but this is crossing a line. Bix, posting your own AI tweet and bragging about engagement was extremely stupid (or at least shortsighted), and you should have expected some kickback from it especially in a thread which is dedicated to posting about people who, to the vast majority of people here, are talking heads at best. I don't think you get to have the moral high ground when someone turns the tables and posts a chatGPT bit in response to your own chatGPT bit. With that said, this is a pretty extreme derail at this point so in general, let's not push further, no more antagonizing other posters. And maybe refrain from blatant self-promotion like that in the future.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

One of my favorite bits on a Deadlock I listened to was when they stopped the pod to talk about seeing Jason Lives (I think) in a theater and how cool that would be, so this is something I approve of.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

So there's no RSS feed for the newsletter at all? That's wild. I would have imagined a site like the Observer would've had RSS easy considering how when they started it was much more widespread than it is now.

It'd be a pain in the rear end but they theoretically could just do it manually by updating an XML file or even just, I dunno, make a Substack, Patreon, private mirror, whatever, and feed the issues into that and link that RSS feed. I mean, if they're going to go fully-digital they might as well make a paid blog or something, there's plenty of ways to sell subscriptions to an online newsletter or magazine in today's world.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

LEAVE THE MEMORIES ALONE

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I hope the Buff Bagwell episode contains my favorite WCW story as told by the Observer ever:

quote:

World Championship Wrestling had what was on paper its most successful weekend in at least a year, drawing three consecutive sellouts, largely with very enthusiastic fans in the United Kingdom. The reaction to the shows by the time they were over was typical of the WCW Shoot Yourself in the Foot Tour 2000. The main events all three nights were a disappointment. On the first night, they used Ric Flair vs. Curt Hennig on top. They had a good technical match that the crowd wasn't into, with lots of 'Goldberg' chants. After the match, Luger and Elizabeth did a run-in, leaving Bagwell to make the save and the show actually ended with Bagwell in the ring with his music playing, saying 'You didn't get Goldberg and you didn't get Sting, but you got Buff and he's the stuff.' Needless to say, the interview wasn't exactly well received by the audience.

I think of that promo quote all the time :allears:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

:lol: this sounds exactly like a joke that would be done with AI Meltzer holy poo poo

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

It's really tough trying to figure out who should write the book as it were, because they'd need enough knowledge of wrestling to inherently know how to parse bullshit and see it as more than a curiosity, but not so much that they get lost in their fandom. They'd need to know that the surface level shocking stuff is just that, surface-level, and it's just such a messy walled garden of a thing, you know?

That Ringmaster book from last year was a little disappointing for that reason. Despite covering a lot it never felt like it extracted the meat that it should have and the conclusions it drew were so laser-targeted on political influence that it didn't adequately cover, well, a lot of the other things that are worth covering.

I dunno the solution, really. It'd need to have a lot of sources, I guess.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

For me I was predisposed to like it because of Jawnny but the first clip I saw was the sync of the Steiner shoot on Flair, and then what hooked me was an episode covering an era I vividly remember living through and watching - a Hogan-TNA episode. So find a show you know or at least know the era of and go wild.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

It's always hilarious listening to Deadlock and stumbling into a bit that Jawnny is doing that I remember from the same circles we used to run in. It leads to things like he and I (while listening) having the exact same reaction at the exact same time upon realizing the "your a bitch and a liar" rant was from Nash beefing with Piper. I just thought it was from those WWE Facebook comments.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

being paid by them

this is all the work of channing "stacks" lorenzo

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Clicking the post takes you to the actual video so it is even funnier that it parsed that way

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Channing "stacks of notes" Lorenzo

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

Ignoring busted Dave Meltzer for his younger more talented business partner:

I'm watching "Unidentified" on Tubi and two reporters ordered apple juice.

For babies?!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I'm interested in the "something in AEW has changed" leading to it moving. Maybe so it can be better to travel to for Mexican or other Japanese talent? I don't think it would be for some kind of debut, but maybe they wanted a significant location for some kind of big match?

Or...Arena Mexico??

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Pylons posted:

SRS said Bushiroad didn't want to split production costs for running it in Arthur Ashe.

Aww, that's a much less fun answer. :(

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

It's so funny and nice hearing Billie use all the little turns of phrase she picked up from the Midwest independent scene that was active around the time she was growing up to the point that I can trace them back to specific people. I remember when she was just Mouse's kid.

One of us made it. :unsmith:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I'm so sad that "OJ was a wrestling fan in the 60s and 70s. Please don't ask me how I know this stuff" doesn't fit in the title.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

That's the episode that aired the week before I started watching wrestling because I remember the video package that opened the Smackdown I watched. I had no idea what I was seeing. This should be fun.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah, I just got done listening to it and it was amazing. It put so many things into perspective that I was noticing in my periphery and put some names to it all, felt huge. Highly recommend it!!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

So I'm finally listening to the Trish and Sarah Podcast that was linked regarding Punk and my immediate thoughts are that these two are so good at this in ways 99% of wrestling podcasters just aren't, and that there was so much to the Punk situation (like losing the ESPN coverage?! Holy poo poo) that I had no idea about. It's a great listen. This is an easy sub. There's so much knowledge and clear professionalism and research that is coming out in what they're saying. It's refreshing.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Shard posted:

Erin can you post the link please, I'd like to listen to that. I've subscribed to them but want to start with this

https://pca.st/episode/f41d7067-ecaa-43f4-a75a-161bd5084838

:hai:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Gumball Gumption posted:

My favorite part of the podcast was when they reminded me that collision under Punk was mostly squashes and bleeding ratings. What a dog poo poo start it had.

Yeah, that was the biggest thing that smacked me in the face about it all. That and the story of the Jericho program that never happened and how it connected to all that. There are so many pieces of the puzzle that I hadn't been able to put together. "Orange Cassidy worked that night - the ROH taping" took me out. Hearing all the stories we had been speculating on laid out one after the other in such a logical manner was unbelievable; it's a really incredible listen.

I was watching Collision as it aired! I was chatting in the GDTs! There were things that definitely stuck out that with the benefit of hindsight are like "wait, what the gently caress, that DID happen that way, huh?". Crazy stuff.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Miching Mallecho posted:

Phil beating Joe in the Owen tournament was the wrong move, should've saved finally beating Joe for wembley, which I think everyone agreed since it was played up that he never beat Joe before and having Ricky turn heel at the finals when he was getting hot was wrong too. :mad:

They flew in Jushin Liger just to have Ricky big-league him!! The Ricky Steamboat stuff was fun and Ricky/Danielson was awesome but what the gently caress!!! They flew in Jushin Liger and barely used him!!!!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

If AEW is missing one thing it's a 2008-era Smackdown opening video package recapping the PPV set to slowdown and dramatic music and I'm not joking

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

a dumb moron posted:

I’m confused by Dave’s complaints about Collision’s first 30 minutes.

It was Swerve cutting a promo, setting up a main event, a recap of a major angle with the bucks and Jack Perry, and a high octane six man tag showing the kind of wrestling you’ll see in AEW.

And Dave is like “I’m in disbelief, this was their chance to show a new audience AEW and they wasted the first 30 minutes.”

Am I just stupid? Do I not understand the wrestling business? It seemed like a very solid first 30 minutes to me.

I know this is anecdotal but I used that episode to show AEW to two people who knew a bit of wrestling but had never seen AEW before and they were completely in, even if they were joking about Claudio being Agent 47. I'm not really sure either. They were losing their poo poo every time Top Flight did a stupid dive and had a great time all show. I dunno!

I can agree with how they should have said Fenix and RUSH were returning during the card previews on Dynamite but I can't pretend I didn't enjoy seeing my partner lose their poo poo at the "RUSH returns" graphic because it meant showing her cousins her favorite wrestler lol

:shrug:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/swerveconfident/status/1784960703540965743?t=jS_pn-Gp6IDPvIpu2vIt1w&s=19

This should be fun.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

One of the most fun moments I had watching Collision with first time viewers on Saturday was one of them going "so there's no way Claudio beats Swerve, right" only for her to start gasping at every single one of the late kickouts in the match proper. :allears:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I think they'd prefer if their company hadn't shifted baseline principles based on the whims of a prima donna who ultimately left the company worse than he found it, leading to a split fan base :shrug:

Saying he shouldn't have been world champ is ridiculous, of course, but the sentiment that it shouldn't have happened when it did or how it did with the benefit of hindsight is a valid one. I wasn't watching much at the time outside of the episode where Moxley squashed Punk though.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Agreed. I don't agree with some of their opinions - I felt that the Dynasty cycle was extremely engaging, for example - but they have reasonable critiques that are expertly laid out and they also back up a lot of the things they say with raw data and clear analysis that I have no idea about otherwise. They're quick to praise the things they like and quick to express trepidation or desire for improvement in the things they don't. It's a tone that helps them stand out in a medium that usually lacks a lot of that. I find their ratings breakdowns to be super interesting since I have no idea how any of that works and they clearly do, and I think their knowledge allows them to not be knee-jerk with their critiques. It really is a refreshing listen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

fez_machine posted:

Rename the thread Wrestling Fraudcasts

absolutely