Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Z Man ruled. I wish someone kept an archive of those bitter rants he and Honky would post on their sites. Maybe the Wayback Machine has them.

Also love the pic of Zenk in Johnny Ace's lap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

GoutPatrol posted:

good because ryan satin sucks

Hell yes. We've been getting dark side Meltzer interacting with twitter morons for a while now, we are getting close to the full heel turn thanks to him getting pissed at internet scoopsmen.

You scoopsmen wouldn't be anything without Meltzer. All the crap on twitter represents these fans out here. Time for the oWo

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Aesop Poprock posted:

I will never understand why people take Meltzer as gospel when he's pretty clear that he's just doing his best take on things/ratings and ruminations don't really need to be backed up

Meltzer is actually terrible at inferring things from booking, so when he definitively says something is going to happen, I believe it's because he has some source. His actual booking instincts are poo poo, at least with WWE.

I have no clue how he and Bryan were so CONVINCED the Singh Bros had been written off because Jinder beat them up, even though he had beaten them up many times before because he's a heel bully.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

What's this I hear about Dave Meltzer running a southern wrestling prostitution ring?!

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Incessant Excess posted:

I think Finn's selling post match on raw was to get the curb stomp over and Dave and Bryan completely missed it.

I can only assume this is because WWE has periods where they deliberately demand wrestlers NOT sell any damage post match (according to Dave), so when a good wrestler sells a finisher they assume it must be because he's actually hurt.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

The low point of PBP man commentary is Mauro talking about tide pods.

The high point was Joey Styles' line about Mike Awesome's suicide dive.

Also, outside of heel Cole which was an abomination, I think Cole is fine. The PBP guy is kind of a thankless position in many respects, especially in WWE with a crazy man in your ear at all times. It also makes it a bigger deal when the PBP man is normally reserved but sometimes heavily reacts to something, rather then doing it multiple times a night.

I still really like Cole's excited, frantic "tap Batista! Tap Batista!" call from WM30. The dipshit who had a heel gimmick of hating on Daniel Bryan for a while is going nuts for him. Not even saying "Batista is going to tap!" but instead yelling at Batista and hoping he does.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Seams posted:

Bryan: and Dolph Ziggler returns next week
Dave: whatever

He should have left it at that. I laughed at the total disdain in his voice

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Vampiro also has like 30,000 concussions. Reading through 2000s Observers, each week has a "Vampiro horrifically injured ___ on Nitro, he was back on Thunder" line.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I thought Dave was pretty measured and articulated his thoughts well. I think he knows on some level that he's Dave Meltzer and not too eloquent about certain issues and tried hard to keep on the right track. Reminded me of his Desert Storm/Slaughter stuff and when Vince tried to get him fired from The National for taking them to task on it. Everyone should read that issue if they haven't.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Hard to ever get hard numbers, but Meltzer periodically mentions who is moving the most stuff. The last time I heard him mention it was slightly before WM, he said that Cena still sells the most merchandise even though he's rarely there. Roman and AJ were said to be tied at #2, but both significantly behind Cena. Glad to see how popular AJ is as the face running Smackdown Live even though he hasn't been pushed nearly as much as Reigns.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

The boat is getting pretty full on the "attack Meltzer and exploit dumb marks desperate to feel like they're an insider" wagon between Prichard, Russo, and Bischoff. I wonder what stooge will be next and who will push it too far and ruin that sweet PWT gravy train.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Worst is Bayley/Sasha because it's still happening. Zayn is out, Brock/Roman isn't a feud so much as Brock being absent 90% of the time, then showing up to beat Roman and then Roman crying about it.

Alternative answer is Meltzer vs Conrad poo poo Stirring/Bruce/Bischoff/Twitter Eggs.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Bisch should go get himself a cheap bottle of Thunderbird so he can try to dig back some of that courage he had in his prime. Actually, he's probably way ahead on that task already.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I'm done with every WCW dipshit who has done nothing but fail for nearly 20 years in everything else they do trying to desperately make bucks by riling up the dumbest of the dumb marks against one of the few semi credible sources in the shadiest of shady industries. Conrad sucks.

Except Glacier. I'd gladly listen to any WCW stories from the ice man.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Someone get Jason Hervey on a podcast so he can talk about all the Bischoff poo poo over the past 30 years and how it all crashed and burned.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I was reading the 3-11-96 observer and Dave just casually mentions that his brother is a traveling comedian who does shows in CA. I can't fathom what type of comedy a Meltzer could deliver. Wish I could have seen it.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Yes, someone came up to him and just happened to suggest a fast count to keep heat. Totally unplanned, not like Bret Hart was scheduled to come out for a critical part of the angle on that.

C'mon man. It's 2018. Just admit you did it for the Hulkster. There's no shame in it.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I could probably remember Hulk Hogan telling me to deliberately gently caress up the main event of the biggest PPV in wrestling history despite what my actual boss had told me to do.

Does Patrick still work in wrestling? Is he getting checks from the Hulkster? In some way I love his carny rear end refusal to admit to the most obvious thing in the world. He's a real worker.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

mkay0 posted:

Have the rules suddenly changed, or what?

I remember two(?) years ago, he said over and over again that no one who isn’t a absolute Hall of Famer could ever get in. Today he said Jimmy Hart wasn’t qualified on the podcast that announced his induction.

He strait up said this year and potentially next year will have suspect people. I’m confused.

He talked about it some as a combination of older voters refraining from voting more and more with each year, while younger people who grew up during the heydays of some of these older dudes are re-appraising their work and voting for them.I think he was implying that as more wrestlers drop off the ballot and older voters stop submitting ballots, you're going to see people who have been middle-to-bottom of the ballot shoot up or even get into the hall.

Older voters and contemporaries of Junkyard Dog didn't vote him into the hall, but now you have all these 30+ year old wrestlers who grew up watching him during the height of his fame and didn't have to work with him in the ring.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I'm just happy he got back to Japan. Also that he still has tons of enthusiasm for a sport he has covered for decades and can mark out over it instead of being a jaded, crusty old sports whiner.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Davey Boy was fine but his output seemed entirely dependent on the other person in the ring carrying him. Whether it was his tag team partner or his opponent, he needed someone else to do the heavy lifting for the most part.

Those Davey Boy/Neidhart WCW tag matches Bryan watched for Retro Raw/Nitro are loving amazing in how bad they are. British Bulldog & Neidhart vs Curt Hennig and Brian Adams in particular.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

ok, but I still don't know who the gently caress Ken is. What the hell is Charlotte talking about

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Reports are Eric Bischoff continued to pickle his liver into cirrhosis today. Sources say he did it trying to forget he's a broke failure.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I like how they discussed every possibility they could think of for the ending of the Becky/Asuka match, yet the idea of WWE wanting to make Asuka look good since Becky/Charlotte are probably feuding with Ronda never crossed their minds for a millisecond.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

The Road Warriors are the epitome of bad rear end awesome territory wrestlers who kick the poo poo out of teams and then move on to the next territory before it got old or over exposed. Just never worked as well when they had to stick around long, because to create some drama you need someone to beat The Road Warriors or for them to look a little weaker, which no one wants.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

rovert posted:

Imagine what Meltzer daydreams about when he's under general anaesthetic

a world where the Montreal Screwjob never happened and he never has to talk about it again

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I thought it was weird that neither Dave nor Bryan could fathom why you would ever do a move or submission to someone in the Royal Rumble. To wear them down and make them easier to toss out? Or do they want every Royal Rumble to be guys pushing each other against the ropes like every WWE video game?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Incessant Excess posted:

I don't think Dave is right that they're setting up Asuka up as a challenger down the line, I think they just figured that Becky is winning the Rumble so no one will remember that she lost beforehand.

Pretty much. It doesn't hurt to lose to Asuka, she's a badass. Made Asuka look good and as soon as Becky came out in the Rumble, literally no one cared or remembered the tap-out. The pop on Monday was massive for Becky.

I think Dave and Bryan's brains have been broken by so much WWE insanity that sometimes they cannot fathom the simplest and most direct explanation for something.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

It seems weird that several podcasts are switching to video when the last few years of journalism job holocaust have shown us that most people actually do not want videos at all and the entire "pivot" to video was a big con game of internet advertising and big corps wanting to lay people off. Additionally, your entire revenue source can be cut off instantly by a DMCA takedown request (like Bryan got) or Youtube TOS changes.

I love podcasts because they are convenient and I can listen to them almost anywhere. I'm have no desire to watch Bryan and Vinny sit in chairs and discuss wrestling or watch fat guys sitting in chairs discussing bad movies.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

If the point of good promos is to build to matches and people spending money, Kevin Nash is one of the worst promos in the entire business.

If the point of a good promo is to make me and Kevin Nash laugh and no one cares about money, he's awesome. Especially in TNA.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

They barely watch Smackdown, let alone NXT.

No idea why they spend upwards of an hour on the Tuesday show covering the absolute worst show WWE produces in minute detail, then just ramble through SD and NXT results on the Thursday show and get half of them wrong or mixed up. I've stopped listening to the Tuesday WOR show at this point, I have no interest in hearing Bryan whine and squeal about stuff on RAW and then not even mention all the good stuff on SD/NXT because neither even watched it. I feel like I've listened to eps where they spend more time recapping Being the Elite than an entire SD episode.

At least Dave watches 205 Live, god bless him, and calls out whenever it has a good match.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

What else do you call "oh boy oh boy I got big info this week. Oh man I wanna share it but I can't. Tee hee". Just shut the gently caress up or post the scoop.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

rovert posted:

I am with you man.

Sorry for the typo. Meltzer would never.

It's all good, love ya rovert. The scoops will flow in good time.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Dave needs to learn how to slide into DMs. Catch up old man.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

CM Punk is a piece of poo poo. ended up being just as scummy as any other wrestler.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Wonder what slight his wife will give him someday that causes him to immediately ghost her, move out, and sue her for damages.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Are you the guy running multiple sad fake Alvarez and Meltzer twitter accounts?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

He's made a steady living for 30+ years and isn't dead, broke, an alcoholic, or a pillhead, so he's honestly done better than at least 80% of most wrestlers. poo poo, he also isn't divorced and his kids still talk to him. Bump that up to 90%.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

WCW at the end was a run-in /outside interference in almost every loving match. God forbid that Vito or Lenny Lane do a clean job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

*finds first mention of Daniel Bryan in April 17, 2000 Wrestling Observer*

:)

*reads until the end*

:(

quote:

The San Antonio Express-News ran a story about Shawn Michaels’ students and the TWA. Shooter Schultz and Kris Schultz, 25, of St.
Louis and American Dragon is Brian Danielson, 18, from Washington who was an honors student in college who quit to train under
Michaels. Danielson in the article bragged about the fact he had already suffered three concussions in three months in the ring.