Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Holy gently caress I just got to this part :vince:

"I thought I was going to tear up all my muscles, so I stopped. ...

[Meltzer whisper] But I didn't!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Dang now I really want regular Meltzer movie reviews through the lens of judging wrestling

Bryan: Welcome back, our next review is The Neverending Story...

Meltzer: No, it isn't.

Bryan: What?

Meltzer: It doesn't.

Bryan: What are you talking about?

Meltzer: The story. It ends. The credits roll. It's not a Neverending Story.

[Bonus Joke: This Story Cannot Be Stopped for Any Reason]

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Free Pacific Rim with Chris Jericho
https://www.f4wonline.com/pacific-rim-pro-wrestling-podcast/free-show-pacific-rim-chris-jericho-297611

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

idgi. Does Kanyon just think Bryan is wrong all the time?

You make a bet, you call to ask an expert for the answer, the person you made the bet with can't hear their answer, it doesn't matter what Bryan would have said, Kanyon would have reacted like he had just won. An easy 100 bux.

Edit: beaten

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

They are running the risk of the referees becoming jokes like they largely are in New Japan because nobody ever gets DQed for getting involved in matches/interfering/using foreign objects etc. They specifically mentioned the Nyla/Leva match, where they made the point you could have kept all the stuff with Avalon and attacking Nyla with a book but just done it post-match when Nyla continued beating on Leva.

Yes, referees, the rodeo clowns of pro-wrestling, should never be considered jokes.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

The rules not mattering actually removes a lot of incredibly useful and important storytelling tools.

Legit, what are they?

I can understand like basic rules enforcement so that heels can get heat by breaking them, but DQs just suck.

New Japan fucken rules in long term storytelling and I don't care if AEW is like them.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
https://twitter.com/JimValley/status/1212509409760305153

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Fumi and Dave interviewed on camera:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EoRZL0g2YU

Fantastic interview for three people who speak English as a second language

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Dave being very pro union gives him a lot of chances I wouldn't otherwise give

Plus most of his gaffes are consistent with being pre-disposed to trying to be charitable about people. (I'm a relativity new listener but I don't think I've heard Dave be 100% unkind about a person as a person. Their wrestling or booking decisions is a different story).

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Nah it's more that Japanese TV doesn't have Cable like the states so you have less networks needing and paying for content to drive up rights fees . You have the broadcast TV stations and some premium cable/satellite stations but not the 100's of Basic cable stations needing content and paying for said content to keep subscribers. Add in the fact that the broadcast Networks still hold major power over content/time slots despite streaming growing and it's a case where New Japan feels lucky to have Broadcast TV in it's late night time slot even though it gets paid little for it cause it could be worse. They could be airing it for free like some late night anime or even be off TV

It's even worse because the way Japanese TV wrestling works, New Japan owns literally none of their video library, so they can't move channels without losing all 40 years of history and can't monetize it without giving a hefty cut to their TV partner or negotiate independently for international broadcast rights.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

When has that happened?

ECW, WCW

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

Ah, yes, 20 years ago

Ah, yes, I'll just name the two biggest examples of the thing you asked about and you'll be rude.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Neither ECW or WCW lived off their TV money.

They certainly died without it

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

ECW died because after the TNN deal there was no way to go forward so Heyman took the job with the WWF instead of continuing to lose money. The TNN deal was an attempt to get more exposure and improve house show and PPVs. It didn't do that. It isn't close to the same situation.

WCW was losing tens of millions of dollars and Turner attempted to sell before cancelling it. They couldn't because of Vince's deal with TNN. The company didn't die because it was cancelled and they weren't getting huge TV rights fees. The TV show was cancelled because the second buyer fell through and they were sick of losing millions upon millions.

Okay, I'll concede the point.

Has there been a promotion that was in the profit until they lost their tv deal?

Maybe it's because TV deals have only started to be massively inflated in the last 10 years or so that it's become a possibility.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I hope every time someone talks about a plane fight in the next year, Dave mentions Iranians

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

In which slasher films do you see camera operators?

Man Bites Dog

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1241613839449206787

People say Meltzer is out of touch now, just imagine if he hadn't started going to PWG as late as he did

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
hmmm listening to Denise Salcedo's appearance on WOL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unkci3kvuqI

I'm not sure her pitch of a fun take on wrestling is right for the Wrestling Observer/Figure 4 audience which seems to be mainly interested in cynicism, stats and gossip.

It'll certainly be a different mood to most of the offerings.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Seems like the Christmas show will be interesting:
https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1341932162535211009
https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1341933476459601922

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

The "flipping through the channels/wandering into a comic shop and deciding that yes, I want to be consumed by this hobby!" thing is largely a myth, but the Internet makes both wrestling/comics as a product accessible to just about anyone, and also coincidentally contains much of the backstory and context that you may need to become a regular consumer.

Casual fans lived with the barest appearances of Thanos for years before everyone knew who he was in the MCU:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flt-8OxfIQQ

In fact, I'd say the whole interconnectedness of the Marvel Cinematic Universe was built on making casual fans feel like they could become hardcore by making them look the unexplained poo poo up.

People catch on quick and they love a rich history they can learn.

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I think I started getting interested in wrestling again a few years ago coming across GIF accounts on Twitter. I don’t think there’s any media in the last ten years I’ve consumed by happenstance, it’s always been “hearing something is good, choosing to check it out.”

That's my story.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Everyone is overlooking Emi Sakura for a best booker nom.

Chocopro had great storylines and matches with a very thin roster and managed to survive an existential threat to the promotion.

There's nobody who did more with less.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Oops wrong thread

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Mar 6, 2021

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Instead of talking about the bad podcast (that has always been bad) I will instead say that Lance reviewing the Battel of the Empire was great and I really liked his point about wrestlers blowing up. It rarely bothers me and most of the time people complain about it the match doesn't suffer at all, a guy is just breathing heavily. It's normal.

One of the biggest distinctions between serious Chocopro and soft/comedy Chocopro is that everyone in a serious match gets super blown up by the end. It works especially well in the intimate environment and camera. Always makes the serious matches feel like a big event.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

When WWE forces women to get cosmetic surgery does the company pay for it, or is it like how people have to rent their own cars?

Shame! They'd never pay for a woman's surgery as they don't ask women to get surgery. They just apply indirect pressure and push the women the male dominated management finds attractive.

So if you have some surgery to get a push it's your own choice and your own expense.

Now that's a women's revolution!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Penguin Patrol posted:

Lol @ Bryan assuming Dave ever had a rolodex

Yeah, it'd be his dad's rolodex if anything

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

a cyborg mug posted:

Are there any good current wrestling podcasts run by or at least regularly featuring women. Was glad to find Karen Watches Wrestling when I think it was linked in the Gatoh Move thread https://youtube.com/c/KarenWatchesWrestling

but that’s not a podcast

The PWG recap podcast Journey Through Guerrilla Island has two women co-hosts: https://soundcloud.com/guerrillaisland

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Rick Rubin said Blood and Guts

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The Mat Men floated the idea of someone else (Punk or Bryan) beating Omega instead of Hangman. So the F4W group has some major brain worms about this.

I trust AEW not to put their ex-WWE guys straight into the title scene as that's been the pattern so far. It's worked! Even for lukewarm programs like the initial Miro run.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I know the Bucks and Kenny have a very relaxed position on kayfabe but the WOR interview contains so little of the belt collector character that it feels like Kenny is winding it down.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
lol over a million people have seen Bix get owned by C.M. Punk for having bad tech

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Loved how confident Dave was bring up the ring tone like it was another winking doll spot.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Tech genius "Overpaid for a landline" Bryan Alvarez strikes again

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Somewhere in the PC a college footballer's Gambit-style gimmick is dropped quietly.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

-Russo doesn't understand why anyone cares about Cody Rhodes because he loses too much

lol, Russo in touch with today's wrestling fans.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
AEW's world title is important because it has lengthy, protected, reigns and the wrestler holding the belt is expected to be "The Guy" and carry T.V. ratings by having great matches regularly. In fact despite what some people might argue even when a champ loses the belt they don't lose their aura of being someone massively important to the promotion.

It's not like WWE titles where holding them means something but are in danger of irrelevance because the titles switch easily and they book gold watch, joke, and repeat champions.

The TNT belt is far less protected but still has a lot of legitimacy because it's associated with great matches and open challenges. The guy holding the belt is clearly marked as a person who AEW wants to showcase.

I think the only blip champion was SCU holding the tag titles. Although, I think I remember liking them at the time, they were just overshadowed by the Hangman and Omega team.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 8, 2021

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

anyone got a timestamp on the rant?

I think they put the whole thing on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnylqa7Zxug

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

1glitch0 posted:

Maybe WWE is selecting their audience like that thing about how scammers make their scam dumb and obvious to only attract the stupidest people so they don't waste time trying to con smart people. Like only the dumbest of dumbs would fall for the idea that the Rock was showing up.

With the latest news about the guy who tackled Rollins, you might be right.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

No, the cube is a work, because you see it's a 2d representation of a 3d object

it's a worked shoot

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Who do you think has to sign off on every Meltzer Driver spot and finish before it can be used?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Dave's weights talk to him