Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Z-Man was even more bitter and full of poo poo than the Honky Tonk Man, and I miss the guy just for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

i am not joking when i say i want the nobodies to have on dave meltzer in the middle of their couch. i want dave meltzer shouting, "sasha banks weave watch" with jazz hands

I didn't know I wanted this until you posted, and now it's all I've ever wanted.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Related to Young Bucks chat, I'm catching up on Raven's podcast and it turns out he's a fan of theirs and respects their hustle. Given that he counts as an old-timer now, I thought that was neat.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Bray's feuds aren't really based on anything; I still have no idea what his program with Orton was about, and that goes double for his program with Finn. Splitting up the Wyatt family for no reason really hurt him, too.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

rovert posted:

Was Gallows and Anderson's two podcast with Austin worth listening to or repeat material?

Both. They unsurprisingly have good chemistry with Austin so it's a fun listen even if you don't learn anything new about them.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Charles Gnarwin posted:

It sucks that Colt won't do interviews anymore because he was always the best at drawing out great stories and insight but I could see why he wants to stop when every other retired wrestler has a podcast that does similar things. His reasoning is probably that he started one boom and he can pivot and start another.

My guess is that he got burned out trying to schedule guys for interviews when he still has to manage his own bookings and other business interests.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

CubsWoo posted:

Their current ambassadors include sex tape participants and people with drug, indecent exposure, and domestic violence arrests on their record.

And that's just X-Pac!

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

remusclaw posted:

He's too big to ignore.

That's only true of Hulk Hogan, not Terry Bollea.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I really hope this whole bullshit ordeal doesn't wreck Colt's friendship with Punk.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Edge & Christian posted:

Say what you will about Shave Seltzer and Bryan Alvarez but the Bischoff/Russo/Pritchard axis of criticizing them as "these jocksniffers desperately trying to seem relevant and pretending they have connections" is especially rich coming from people whose business model is relitigating storylines from twenty years ago and hoping they can get someone who worked for them back then to come onto their podcast.

Pritchard comes off like more of a gimmick than the other two, and like a lot of wrestling people, is too lazy to reexamine how much he's worked himself into believing certain things about the business. He doesn't have the same puffed-up overconfidence (or insanely obvious insecurities) as the other two, though.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

CascadeBeta posted:

Bryan's reaction to Big Business doing a slingshot senton still gets me. Easily one of the best pieces of content they've ever done.

Bryan mocking Vinnie for saying "Uncle Murder" gets me every time.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Malcolm Excellent posted:

"Punk mother fucker, gently caress you!"

Also their delight at Eddie Kingston yelling gently caress YOU AH poo poo after losing to Homicide.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

sportsgenius86 posted:

Dave no-selling Amber’s lovely jokes is something I absolutely need in my life

Matt and Dave in an interrupting-other-people contest would be a blessing for sure.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

forkboy84 posted:

I mean Zeppelin & Bowie made good music. You could justify it like "they hosed groupies and didn't ask about age while Glitter went out of his way to gently caress kids"

Jimmy Page was a gross piece of poo poo pederast on par with Ted Nugent and I'm amazed it never comes up. I'm also amazed that Prince never gets called out for being both abusive and a major homophobe.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

LividLiquid posted:

I think it's the opposite. Most of the poo poo he says is dead on and then he'll say something so loving ridiculous that I can't believe it's coming out of the same mouth.

Like when he pines for the days when wrestlers could bully the poo poo out of people and it was all good fun, as if such an era ever existed.

Or when he rants about Colt Cabana and Chuck Taylor killing the business with comedy wrestling and then fondly remembers Plowboy Frazier, a racist idiot and lovely wrestler who did a lot of comedy stuff.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

RealFoxy posted:

He's still one of the most honest and reliable guys from almost any era, has a really great memory and tells amazing stories. I've never heard a Cornette story and thought it was bullshit or super embellished.

Agreed - he's a solid wrestling historian and a mostly honest guy, albeit one whose anger management problems trip him up a lot. I just think his tirades against comedy wrestling are stupid because the stuff he gets mad at often falls in line with what he likes about the old days: guys getting over through character work and audience interaction without having to rely on dangerous high spots. That he hates Cabana so much is especially bewildering because Colt can actually wrestle.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

NikkolasKing posted:

So I'm listening to Cornette's podcast and his cohost really hates Jake Roberts.

That's the episode where they talk about All In and AEW, right? Because holy poo poo Brian Last has some dumb takes on all that.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah. I don't know any of the details of any of this, I'm just going on what he said about the one guy dying of cancer who Jake owes money to and who supposedly Jake won't even talk to.

I suppose if you have a good friend who is dying and you feel somebody hosed them over you might act a bit irrationally.

Yeah, that's fair. It doesn't surprise me that Jake is still a shady carny, given his upbringing and profession, but it's pretty hosed up that he won't throw Jerry Grey some money. I find Brian Last highly annoying much of the time, but he's right to be mad about that.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gaz-L posted:

And given how they tweaked Ronda's makeup, and Toni's hair recently on their 'big show' debuts, I think it's fairly clear that they still have that narrow definition.

To be fair, Ronda's makeup was terrible and made her look like a caveperson before. I agree with the Nobodies that they should just give her a natural/plain look and leave it at that because it suits her persona anyway.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

The Road Warriors also cut the platonic ideal of insane wrestling promos in the 1980s, which shouldn't be overlooked. Here's one example.

https://youtu.be/ng6kpHpcfdY

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gumball Gumption posted:

I hope you're wrong if only because "We announced a fake match with Baron Corbin because Corbin sucks poo poo and now everyone will be happy with Cena" is a really awful thing to do to Corbin. Wrestling needs jobbers, wrestling needs heels to be hated, it doesn't need WWE specifically trying to get someone go away heat.

Corbin would have been a serviceable midcarder if they'd actually booked him as a weird loner heel and gone from there instead of doing what they did, which has exposed every single one of his weaknesses as a performer.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Dango Bango posted:

Who the gently caress can stand the Bellas' voices for that long? :gonk:

Cena and Daniel Bryan come to mind.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Listening to the most recent Cornette Drive Thru show, and his reactions to Lars Sullivan's chud idiocy have been hilarious.

Brian Last [after reading several of Lars' racist posts]: How on earth does anyone work with this rear end in a top hat again after this?

Cornette: Stiffly, I'd imagine.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Cornette's take on Double or Nothing is predictably full of really stupid nitpicks and his weird grudges against Omega and Chuck Taylor. He also really hated the pre-show battle royal, which is only annoying because if Memphis had booked that exact same thing in the 70s he would have loved it.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Captain Magic posted:

Who the gently caress would hate Chuckie T?

Cornette hates him because of the hand grenade spot, which he almost never does anymore. It mostly annoys me because Cornette has gone to bat for Plowboy Frazier, a terrible wrestler who did comedy bullshit and was also racist in real life, more than once.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gaz-L posted:

My favourite Sherri moment is still from the infamous Booker T promo on Hogan, where she's mean-mugging like the heel manager she is right up until Booker fucks up and then she gets the biggest poo poo-eating grin and just pats Booker like "aw, honey, it'll be fine".

My favorite is any time she straight up hit people for real outside the ring, but yeah this was great too.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gaz-L posted:

Said her work had gotten worse since she got her boobs done, but tried to be tactful about it to the point that some people heard it as bodyshaming her, which WWE jumped on and fanned the flames of.

Why anyone took WWE seriously after how they booked women up until maybe 5 years ago (not to mention how they treated Molly Holly) is beyond me.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

flashy_mcflash posted:

Anyone who wants a realistic portrayal of Baltimore should be watching John Waters movies instead of David Simon

I live in Baltimore and yes, this is correct.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Punch McLightning posted:

Lid: Dave is also notoriously meh on comedy wrestling, so it shouldn’t be a surprise.

Which is weird, because good comedy wrestlers are guys who use character interaction and personality to get over and don't do crazy moves/take crazy bumps that much, so it means more when they do. Guys like Cassidy (and Colt Cabana, to use another example) have an old school work ethic in that way, and they'd slot into midcard/upper midcard roles very comfortably because they're good workers in the traditional sense. I also think Cody and co. have a better sense of how to book comedy guys than, say, Vince does.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gaz-L posted:

Not inherently, as I doubt anyone would claim, say, Santino Marella was a top-tier worker even when he was doing his shooter gimmick in OVW, but high level workrate guys are often really good at comedy if they have any flair for character work at all. Think of Cabana or Regal or Taguchi or Liger.

Marella is someone I'd compare more to Grado, in that they get by on cleverness and good timing even if they aren't especially smooth in the ring.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Incessant Excess posted:

Did people like the cat back in the day? I feel like his performances on those old Nitros are pretty entertaining, started liking him a lot more once he became mostly a GM.

The Cat was dogshit terrible in the ring but his overall schtick has aged well because of how boring WWE's product has gotten.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Low Desert Punk posted:

listening to a F4D from 2010 with lance, he tells a story where Tenryu gave him 1,000 bucks in cash when his first child was born. and he would ask lance to bring him high dollar vests and shirts from Canada and pay him three times the receipt price for it

what a nice man.

I recently heard that Nakamura helped Karl Anderson out a lot when Karl was broke as hell living in NJPW's dojo. It's nice hearing those stories since wrestling is so full of dirtbags otherwise.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

karmicknight posted:

What really sucks is that when the podcast was Kath and Rachel I appreciated Rachel's contribution, but the idea of a podcast without Kath (and hunktears) as guiding forces seems like something I just can't get into. Then I saw the video of the part of the podcast I had the most trouble getting into (the interactions with indie wrestlers) being made more central to the function of it and I've kind of fully checked out.

It doesn't help that Rachel can be really annoying when she doesn't have a personality like Kath to reign her in.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

coconono posted:

Accusing Riho of sleeping her way to the top is incredibly hosed up. People commit suicide over accusations like that.

Yeah, I've stopped listening to Cornette entirely because of poo poo like this, plus his insistence that some of the most over guys in AEW "don't look like stars" and shouldnt be featured on TV.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I remember Lance saying that Kimberly and DDP were much easier to deal with in WWE where they coincidentally had no political power.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Low Desert Punk posted:

There are a lot of interesting characters in American women's wrestling but I don't know that I would call many of them good workers.

Interesting characters can make up for a lot. Maki Itoh's appeal is almost entirely character-based and she rules.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

What's really weird about Dave hesitating to call Corny out on his racism is Corny talking heavy poo poo about Dave because he dares to enjoy modern wrestling. I legit thought they weren't friends anymore, which would fit with Corny's tendency to burn every bridge except the ones that don't lead anywhere.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Dave needs an editor beyond his usual typos and grammar nowadays

He's needed one from the beginning but yeah, yeesh. This is not good analysis on his part at all.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

coconono posted:

I've never really figured out what's going on with AAA's video production team. I'm assuming its someone's kid because a cousin wouldn't be given that many times to gently caress up catching aerostar murder himself.

According to Konnan, the network AAA is on gives them lovely production crews all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Orton is the same kind of tryhard dork that HHH is, and equally dull in the ring most of the time. He deserves WWE frankly.