Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

the mean lunch lady posted:

I, for one, am excited to get shredded by a dual threat quarterback. Hopefully Lock can get some bombs in there on offense.

About that "dual" part....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
0.5 threat qb

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I'm looking forward to Shannon running the table and being handed the reins.

Call us....Parallel-S-U.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

IIRC – and I was pretty drunk, admittedly – Florida had Zaire warming up early in the WLOCP, but never went to him even as Franks kept getting killed. Finally pulled the trigger late in the game when no one cared anymore. Weird.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

D.N. Nation posted:

IIRC – and I was pretty drunk, admittedly – Florida had Zaire warming up early in the WLOCP, but never went to him even as Franks kept getting killed. Finally pulled the trigger late in the game when no one cared anymore. Weird.

Mac seemed resigned to his fate about halfway through the first quarter.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

LeeMajors posted:

I'm looking forward to Shannon running the table and being handed the reins.

Call us....Parallel-S-U.

welcome to the blandy shannon experience.

all your guys gonna be flyin' around, makin' plays. Everyone will have a lower or upper extremity injury.

also, you'll get beat a lot.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

https://twitter.com/mattyports/status/926140939508355072

:getin:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Dilber posted:

welcome to the blandy shannon experience.

all your guys gonna be flyin' around, makin' plays. Everyone will have a lower or upper extremity injury.

also, you'll get beat a lot.

That's fine. This year is now a wash anyway. Just sit back, enjoy the other chaos, and follow the coaching carousel.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Hooray I can root for my team again without being terrified that our coach will get an extension for no loving reason

Now if only we had a QB without arms so Doug Nussmeier is unable to call pass plays behind the line of scrimmage

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

maxallen posted:

Y’all aren’t named bama, don’t hate you. Never had any bad experiences with Georgia fans. You better loving win.

Hate standings:
1-100: bama
101: Florida
102-???: not Florida or bama
???+1: auburn because they hate the tide as much as I do
???+2: go vols

E: i forgot also parallel world basketball standings:
1-infinity: gently caress Kentucky loving cheating rear end fucks. gently caress Adolph “hitler” rupp and gently caress calipari I can’t wait for the fbi to arrest him

PPS AND ANOTHER THING PAWL nick satan bought himself a goddamn hitler car dealership down the street from me in Nashville what the gently caress A) who let that fucker buy property and get a building permit anywhere in the state and B) GO BACK WHERE YOU CAME FROM nobody wants you here (except the bama fans(they should follow your lead and go back as well))

Role tide bitch I'm counting the streak on toes now because ive run out of fingers and they're all FULL OF RINGS

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Hypothetical, but who do you think would end up with a higher ranking at the end of the season in this situation. Both teams go 12-0, but Team 1 has all of its opponents go 6-6. Team 2 has all of its opponents have descending wins, so they play an 11-1 team, a 10-2 team, 9-3 team, etc. down to an 0-12 team.

I would think that Team 2 ends up higher because people would see the wins over the 11-1 and 10-2 team to be big wins, but Team 1 would have a higher opponent win % (0.500 vs. Team 2 at 0.458).

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Scionix posted:

Role tide bitch I'm counting the streak on toes now because ive run out of fingers and they're all FULL OF RINGS

Tennessee is the Purdue of Alabama’s rival teams.

Alternatively, Tennessee is the Tennessee of Alabama’s rival teams.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

MourningView posted:

Note: Big Game is defined exclusively in hindsight and only to games Richt lost

The Romo Effect

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Hypothetical, but who do you think would end up with a higher ranking at the end of the season in this situation. Both teams go 12-0, but Team 1 has all of its opponents go 6-6. Team 2 has all of its opponents have descending wins, so they play an 11-1 team, a 10-2 team, 9-3 team, etc. down to an 0-12 team.

I would think that Team 2 ends up higher because people would see the wins over the 11-1 and 10-2 team to be big wins, but Team 1 would have a higher opponent win % (0.500 vs. Team 2 at 0.458).

I mean, that's not how it works though. Opponents' wins aren't some magic collectible that the more you have the better. "Good team" is a pretty subjective measurement that is usually (but not always) assigned to teams that finish somewhere between 8-4 and 12-1. Beating twelve 6-6 teams is pretty meaningless compared to beating a handful of "good teams" and a whole bunch of bad ones.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Good wins over good teams should carry more weight than beating a crowd of mediocre teams.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
choo choo

https://twitter.com/FAU_Football/status/926154443510419456

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

NO VEHICLES IN THE BREEZEWAY ASSHOLES.

Also,

https://twitter.com/PFF_College/sta...-doing%2F125134

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Mahoning posted:

I mean, that's not how it works though. Opponents' wins aren't some magic collectible that the more you have the better. "Good team" is a pretty subjective measurement that is usually (but not always) assigned to teams that finish somewhere between 8-4 and 12-1. Beating twelve 6-6 teams is pretty meaningless compared to beating a handful of "good teams" and a whole bunch of bad ones.

Well it was just a hypothetical, and my question was more who would get the higher ranking, not necessarily which was the better team. Strength of schedule is a lot of time figured by what your opponents' win % is, so what I was trying to get at is that Team 1 would appear to have a higher strength of schedule, but never played a truly great team.

I think I know the answer anyway because my question is essentially asking, what's better, be undefeated in a conference like the American, or be undefeated in a conference like the SEC, and I know what that answer would be, at least for a human voter, not sure about a computer.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

DJExile posted:

About that "dual" part....

Yeah, I know he's not very good

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mahoning posted:

I'm pretty sure 6-6 is the magic number the committee uses, isn't it?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Dilber posted:

NO VEHICLES IN THE BREEZEWAY ASSHOLES.

Also,

https://twitter.com/PFF_College/sta...-doing%2F125134

LOOK WHO IS #2

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

D.N. Nation posted:

1980 UGA was, like, the 2002 Ohio State of that era.

Everyone remembers Herschel running on UT, but no one remembers it was a 1-score win over an unranked team that went 5-6.

Herschel was a bit of a surprise.

Though he had been recruited heavily, Georgia hadn't wanted to bring him along that quickly. There were concerns because Johnson County is a Class A school in the middle of nowhere. Not exactly hallowed football grounds.

Georgia didn't even bring him in until the second quarter against Tennessee and even then, the Vols were up 15-0 in the 3rd.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

Yeah, you have one dude. We have 3 in the top 8. Secondary was considered a weakness at the start of the year.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Dilber posted:

Yeah, you have one dude. We have 3 in the top 8. Secondary was considered a weakness at the start of the year.

credit where it's due, the secondary isn't a liability like it could have turned out to be.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 2, 2017

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Please tell me people call him Braun. Or at least "The Monster Among Men"

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Dilber posted:

Big DB #s come from strong DL play anyway. Maybe you have the 3 greatest CBs to ever play the game or maybe DBs have a much easier time when the QB doesn't have all day to pass. Stroman isn't even a great corner for us, honestly.

It's the entire reasoning behind Bud Foster playing CBs on an island virtually all the time. When we have lovely lines our DBs get shredded because even good players can't play with no help forever at this level.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 3, 2017

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

Crotch Bat posted:

Big DB #s come from strong DL play anyway. Maybe you have the 3 greatest CBs to ever play the game or maybe DBs have a much easier time when the QB doesn't have all day to pass. Stroman isn't even a great corner for us, honestly.

It's the entire reasoning behind Bud Foster playing CBs on an island virtually all the time. When we have lovely lines our DBs get shredded because even good players can't play with no help forever at this level.

I know. Our front 4 is really good. That said, Jackson has become really, really good at finding the ball, and young is really good at knocking it out of people's hands.

Bandy is a freshman, and is the starting nickle. He's done good.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

Scionix posted:

if there is a god and he is just you and the rest of the followers of the satan will burn in hell

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

I'm pretty sure 6-6 is the magic number the committee uses, isn't it?

I think "above .500" is the thing they make a big deal over but it might change at the end and just be Bowl
Eligible teams

MourningView fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 3, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/GregSteinerEMU/status/926248695301058560

drat eastern this owns

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Dango Bango posted:

Please tell me people call him Braun. Or at least "The Monster Among Men"

Nah he's kinda thin. I disagree with CB though, he's easily our most lockdown corner. Add in his vastly improved punt return decision making this year and he's really fulfilled a lot of the promise that his athleticism brought as a freshman. He looked lost until last year, I think he's really grown a lot over his career.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Holy poo poo! All schools should do this, forever.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

That's cool but I can't get over CHAMPIONS BUILT HERE at Eastern of all places

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Nah he's kinda thin. I disagree with CB though, he's easily our most lockdown corner. Add in his vastly improved punt return decision making this year and he's really fulfilled a lot of the promise that his athleticism brought as a freshman. He looked lost until last year, I think he's really grown a lot over his career.

We don't have a good CB period. Stro isn't awful but he's not going anywhere as a CB. Love him as a returner, though.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

That's cool but I can't get over CHAMPIONS BUILT HERE at Eastern of all places

Maybe it’s in the Butch Jones sense

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

they should go with Eastern Promises

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

neat!

Surprised we haven't seen more things like this with the switch from metal halide and mercury vapor to LEDs which don't have a warmup time.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Qwijib0 posted:

neat!

Surprised we haven't seen more things like this with the switch from metal halide and mercury vapor to LEDs which don't have a warmup time.

P5 steals from G5 steals from FCS/DII/DIII, I'm sure someone was already doing this last year on a lower level which means next year a few P5s will do it.

It's very much like minor league sports, you have to have creative people doing creative things to make people want to come see your team play. Bigger teams see what gets viral then someone says "we can be the first in ___ to do this" and everyone is all over it. Nobody at the top is actually creative, those places thrive on the status quo because people detest change.

Example: VT used to have the lamest tradition in the country, taking the break between the 3rd and the 4th to play everyone's favorite: the Hokie Pokie. It is as awful as it sounds and was lame from the day they made it so; the song obviously has nothing to do with VT outside of coincidence. They finally ended that this year (well they make the band do it at halftime which is totally appropriate) and instituted a new thing where they bring out old players/coaches and get them to try and do a back and forth cheer with the crowd. That's gone over poorly but mostly because the people they asked are old, lack emotion, and timing. It's been good like twice because the people involved were good at it but most of the fans hate it and want the Hokie Pokie back which is, of course, loving stupid. The fanbase prides themselves on having arguably the best entrance in the country and is generally known for being loud and raucous but they desperately want to hold onto the Hokie Pokie because again, change. How you can watch Wisconsin pump House of Pain during their 4th quarter break and say "nah, let's do this boring song and ask people to dance like they're in kindergarten" is beyond me.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 3, 2017

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Crotch Bat posted:

The fanbase prides themselves on having arguably the best entrance in the country

I find it hard to believe that anyone in the country can top the Alan Parsons Project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Real Name Grover posted:

I find it hard to believe that anyone in the country can top the Alan Parsons Project

Ricky Steamboat used to use Eye in the Sky as his entrance theme and it owned.

• Locked thread