Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It’s impressive to me that VT and Wisconsin have built a fun tradition out of arguably the two most cliched song choices you could possibly put on at a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Crotch Bat posted:

P5 steals from G5 steals from FCS/DII/DIII, I'm sure someone was already doing this last year on a lower level which means next year a few P5s will do it.

It's very much like minor league sports, you have to have creative people doing creative things to make people want to come see your team play. Bigger teams see what gets viral then someone says "we can be the first in ___ to do this" and everyone is all over it. Nobody at the top is actually creative, those places thrive on the status quo because people detest change.

Example: VT used to have the lamest tradition in the country, taking the break between the 3rd and the 4th to play everyone's favorite: the Hokie Pokie. It is as awful as it sounds and was lame from the day they made it so; the song obviously has nothing to do with VT outside of coincidence. They finally ended that this year (well they make the band do it at halftime which is totally appropriate) and instituted a new thing where they bring out old players/coaches and get them to try and do a back and forth cheer with the crowd. That's gone over poorly but mostly because the people they asked are old, lack emotion, and timing. It's been good like twice because the people involved were good at it but most of the fans hate it and want the Hokie Pokie back which is, of course, loving stupid. The fanbase prides themselves on having arguably the best entrance in the country and is generally known for being loud and raucous but they desperately want to hold onto the Hokie Pokie because again, change. How you can watch Wisconsin pump House of Pain during their 4th quarter break and say "nah, let's do this boring song and ask people to dance like they're in kindergarten" is beyond me.

Iowa State does Sweet Caroline between the 3rd and 4th quarter (I think they still do, I haven't gone to a game in years), and I have absolutely no clue why or when it started.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Oregon does (or did) as well, and seemed really mad when the Wisconsin fans started singing along for "their tradition" at the Rose Bowl

they might have still been mad from when we were trying to get a wave going while one of their players was on the field with a broken leg

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Henchman of Santa posted:

It’s impressive to me that VT and Wisconsin have built a fun tradition out of arguably the two most cliched song choices you could possibly put on at a game.

Wisconsin got insanely lucky that the song played after the Student Section Race one game was Jump Around. Sometimes you have traditions because they've always been there, sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle.

Although if you ask the athletic department they'd rather have something to start a game to ensure students show up on time as well. Somehow, U2's 'Where The Streets Have No Name' doesn't really get the youth excited for an 11 AM kickoff against Purdue when it's 50 and rainy.

Coco13 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 3, 2017

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Iowa State does Sweet Caroline between the 3rd and 4th quarter (I think they still do, I haven't gone to a game in years), and I have absolutely no clue why or when it started.

So does Pitt. And it is literally the only thing the fans (especially the students) care about. There's a fire drill to leave the stadium as soon as Sweet Caroline is over. And they sell some dumb tshirts with Sweet Caroline lyrics on them and I doubt Neil Diamond sees a dime from it.

All in all, it's a really dumb thing and it feels like a really forced "tradition".

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Georgia Tech does the Budweiser Song between the third and fourth quarters. Which makes it all the weirder that they don't serve beer in the stadium.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Georgia does the Krypton Theme and last season added "everyone turns their cell phone light on" and it's rad.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

We'll probably just play Enter Sandman at an inopportune time and pump up VT like we did a couple years ago.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Is that old? I don't remember ever seeing/hearing it until the loving Steele Jantz game, after which there seemed to be a brief push by their marketing department to turn it into A Thing that always seemed pretty half assed. I think I've heard they've been doing something different recently though.

Iowa has been playing Hypnotize and having people sway with their cell phone lights on after third quarters in night games (which started by accident a couple years ago when they happened to play the song, the student section did the light thing, and the rest of the stadium picked it up) but otherwise we don't have a mid game thing. I really like the entrance where the team walks out of the locker room to Back in Black though. And of course "In Heaven There is No Beer" after wins has been a thing for like 60 years

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 3, 2017

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

MourningView posted:

Is that old? I don't remember ever seeing/hearing it until the loving Steele Jantz game, after which there seemed to be a brief push by their marketing department to turn it into A Thing that always seemed pretty half assed. I think I've heard they've been doing something different recently though.

Iowa has been playing Hypnotize and having people sway with their cell phone lights on after third quarters in night games (which started by accident a couple years ago when they happened to play the song, the student section did the light thing, and the rest of the stadium picked it up) but otherwise we don't have a mid game thing. I really like the entrance where the team walks out of the locker room to Back in Black though. And of course "In Heaven There is No Beer" after wins has been a thing for like 60 years

I don't remember it from when I was in school, I graduated in 03. I think it started maybe 10 years ago? Just a guess.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Alabama’s band covers Green Day’s “basket case” before the 4th quarter, complete with a dance, and it loving owns. When I was attending, the school tried to stop them to play “sweet home Alabama” over the PA because it was a safer option, but everyone got mad at them until the band could do basket case again.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

They changed it to 'Won't back down' by Petty this year and only play Sweet Caroline after the game if we win.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Thoguh posted:

They changed it to 'Won't back down' by Petty this year and only play Sweet Caroline after the game if we win.

I'm eagerly anticipating Iowans discovering the 90s and having their minds blown by Smells Like Teen Spirit and Around The World.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Mahoning posted:

So does Pitt. And it is literally the only thing the fans (especially the students) care about. There's a fire drill to leave the stadium as soon as Sweet Caroline is over. And they sell some dumb tshirts with Sweet Caroline lyrics on them and I doubt Neil Diamond sees a dime from it.

All in all, it's a really dumb thing and it feels like a really forced "tradition".
On the other hand, the recent grads I hang out with are miffed that they've started moving the song around to different points during the games (no doubt to avoid the fire drill) so maybe forcing it has worked to an extent. :shrug:

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school
https://deadspin.com/police-seek-felony-charges-against-usc-player-who-level-1820117543

For fucks sake this is going to be the beginning of lawyers ruining field rushing isn’t it?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol if Seminole Wind isn't blasting in the parking lot

just lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cR-h8FU7rI

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

TCU has done Petty's Won't Back Down between the 3rd and 4th for most of if not all of the Patterson era.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

To be fair, we do have Ballin Boys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpqWnxp7178

and a bunch of trick daddy.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dilber posted:

To be fair, we do have Ballin Boys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpqWnxp7178

and a bunch of trick daddy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqDXVG3xY6U

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Sweet Caroline is the whitest song.

All the segregation private academy students sing along to it whenever I have to cover games there.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Fifty Three posted:

On the other hand, the recent grads I hang out with are miffed that they've started moving the song around to different points during the games (no doubt to avoid the fire drill) so maybe forcing it has worked to an extent. :shrug:

That’s right, I went to the Pitt-YSU game and I remember they did it somewhere random like during a TV timeout in the 2nd quarter.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The last Nebraska game I went to was in 2015 vs Wisconsin. The fullback Janovich made a ridiculous 50 yard run to take the lead with a few minutes left in the game. During the commercial break they played Let Me Clear My Throat, which wasn't very notable. But the commercial break just went on and on for some reason. The players started hyping up the crowd and by the time the break was over, everyone was losing their mind. I think that's something they've started doing every game now. Seeing that moment happen spontaneously was one of the more memorable moments I've had in that stadium. Kind of funny it was against wisconsin and that song is basically just a Jump Around ripoff.

Too bad we blew it in the final minute of that game.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Crotch Bat posted:

We don't have a good CB period. Stro isn't awful but he's not going anywhere as a CB. Love him as a returner, though.

I'm going to disagree again. We don't have a truly elite corner this year, but we have 3 good ones. Facyson will never be what he could be, injuries undid his full potential as a corner, and Alexander is usually quite good but when he fucks it up it's not a small slip. We don't end up holding folks to >50% completion on the strength of the D line alone which has improved in the past few weeks after a kinda slow start to the season. I don't know how you can say we don't have a good corner when we have 3 lots of places would love to have 1 of in terms of production.

I think Stroman will get a shot as a nickel corner in the NFL whether he'll be any good hard to say, but he's been really good this year in coverage so much so folks aren't really throwing towards him is what my eyes are telling me.

My actual annoyance with the secondary has been that Terrell added weight this off season and it's clearly slowed him a step. As much as he wants that weight for the NFL i guess, I think he needs to bleed a little of it off to get back some of that scary burst he had last year. That pick in the Duke game he recovered on was crazy athletic though.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Vol For Life Coordinator (uh...?) resigns, blasts Butch

quote:

Former Vol Antone Davis said he submitted his letter of resignation Oct. 31 as VFL coordinator after six years because he endured “constant intimidation, bullying and mental abuse’’ from Tennessee coach Butch Jones.

Davis said that working under Jones “has been one of the worst work experiences I have ever had.’’

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Mahoning posted:

That’s right, I went to the Pitt-YSU game and I remember they did it somewhere random like during a TV timeout in the 2nd quarter.
Yep, and IIRC they didn't even play the whole song. It's dumb. I always looked forward to the opportunity to yell LET'S GO STATE and be booed by everyone around me. :allears:

I think I'm actually gonna make it to every Pitt home game this season, though. Should've kept track of every time they played it.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Shappa posted:

https://deadspin.com/police-seek-felony-charges-against-usc-player-who-level-1820117543

For fucks sake this is going to be the beginning of lawyers ruining field rushing isn’t it?

More like football players ruining it. It's not that hard not to hit people.poo poo, it's one of Tennessee's specialties.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shappa posted:

Maybe, but I'm not super mad at them for talking about charges.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Shappa posted:

The guy concussed a person who rushed the field. This isn’t exactly the PC GONE MAD story you’re making it sound like.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

wa27 posted:

The last Nebraska game I went to was in 2015 vs Wisconsin. The fullback Janovich made a ridiculous 50 yard run to take the lead with a few minutes left in the game. During the commercial break they played Let Me Clear My Throat, which wasn't very notable. But the commercial break just went on and on for some reason. The players started hyping up the crowd and by the time the break was over, everyone was losing their mind. I think that's something they've started doing every game now. Seeing that moment happen spontaneously was one of the more memorable moments I've had in that stadium. Kind of funny it was against wisconsin and that song is basically just a Jump Around ripoff.

That happened during last year's Oregon game, too, and it did seem pretty lit by Memorial Stadium standards. There's plenty of vid of it on YouTube.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Emron posted:

The guy concussed a person who rushed the field. This isn’t exactly the PC GONE MAD story you’re making it sound like.

Anybody on the field is fair game imo

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I doubt that's going to ruin field rushing. What would ruin field rushing is if the victim sued the school.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

General Dog posted:

Anybody on the field is fair game imo

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

rear end my dude.

Emron posted:

Alabama’s band covers Green Day’s “basket case” before the 4th quarter, complete with a dance, and it loving owns. When I was attending, the school tried to stop them to play “sweet home Alabama” over the PA because it was a safer option, but everyone got mad at them until the band could do basket case again.

You haven’t lived until you’ve had to haul a tuba down those stairs and dance around with it for that song.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Jay Jacobs is out, but not until either they find a successor or June, so it's not clear if he'd make a decision on the next guy if it comes to that.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school

Pakled posted:

I doubt that's going to ruin field rushing. What would ruin field rushing is if the victim sued the school.

Yeah that's kind of what I mean. Step one is this, step two is football player defends himself on the premise that the fan was trespassing (which he is), step three is the fan sues the school or PAC-12 on the premise that we have to protect stupid people from themselves now, and that's the end of rushing.

That said, I don't think it'll come to that, but it's the kind of thing that will set the above sequence of events in motion.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

wa27 posted:

I thought the Let Me Clear My Throat thing was an intentional ripoff of Jump Around. I remember there being articles about how the student section needed a tradition like Wisconsin.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

I thought the Let Me Clear My Throat thing was an intentional ripoff of Jump Around. I remember there being articles about how the student section needed a tradition like Wisconsin.
They embraced it like that immediately but I don't think that was the intention from the start. They didn't play it between quarters or anything. It just happened to be at an exciting point in the game and during an unusually long media break. It took a whole minute or more before anybody started getting into it.

Belbos Computer
Nov 20, 2005

Fiat Lux, Big Bang, seven days, seven minutes, seven seconds, and a universe is born before your eyes.
Slippery Tilde

Emron posted:

Wait-- when did they try to stop this? I know they've put the kibosh on 'Dixieland delight" because of the crowd-added lyrics, and they stopped "rammer jammer" at the end of the game for awhile but I never heard that anyone objected to "basket case..." why?

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

I'm so antsy and it's still so long before I leave for the stadium. gently caress, football is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Shappa posted:

Some Nebraska player decked a Missouri kid when Mizzou rushed the field after beating them a decade or so ago.

The prevailing opinion back then was "oh god protect the players" even though this guy just sucker punched a random dude, so I'd say this is improvement.

• Locked thread