Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Best Buy has the C425 for $120. Only 4gb ram but it's a solid unit, i only returned mine because it wouldn't hold a charge.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-14-chromebook-intel-core-m3-8100y-4gb-memory-64gb-emmc-silver/6513085.p?skuId=6513085

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

Best Buy has the C425 for $120. Only 4gb ram but it's a solid unit, i only returned mine because it wouldn't hold a charge.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-14-chromebook-intel-core-m3-8100y-4gb-memory-64gb-emmc-silver/6513085.p?skuId=6513085

Just read some reviews, the unit apparently comes with 8GB of RAM. It's on the side of the box and people put up pictures of the box. Amazon lists the device as having 4GB, then when you get into the descriptions it has 8GB. Guess we need to look closely at a floor model and check the info.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Now that you mention it, mine had 8gb. It says in stock locally so I think i'll grab one. The C433 has become my go to machine, my windows laptop is pretty much used to run Cura for my printers now.

Anyone successfully running cura on a CB?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Now that you mention it, mine had 8gb. It says in stock locally so I think i'll grab one. The C433 has become my go to machine, my windows laptop is pretty much used to run Cura for my printers now.

Anyone successfully running cura on a CB?

com.ultimaker.cura is in flathub and launches on my C434 (the sister model). It's version 5.2. However, the UI is unresponsive. It looks like it takes the mouse clicks, but then doesn't redraw the screen. I have to resize the window to force a redraw after each click.

The debian package for cura is version 4.8 and seems to work.

The AppImage from the official site is 5.2 and seems to work.

Edit: And I have no idea if it would work connected to a 3d printer over USB.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
might have to mess around with it.

can confirm 8gb model is what i received at BB.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Best Buy has another one of the ~gaming~ CBs on sale for $100 off right now, so $550. It's better spec'd than that $400 one I previously linked at Walmart, although there's supposedly going to be an upgraded version of the Acer with a Core i7 and more importantly, 16 GB of RAM. I don't know about anyone else, but I basically have 8 GB of RAM in use at all times, with just the background processes and extensions and everything else that's in memory even when no other applications are running (certainly not any browser tabs,) so 16 GB of RAM is a requirement for me nowadays.

bull3964 posted:

My Framework Chromebook shipped! Don't have an estimated arrival date yet since it shipped directly from Taiwan, but hopefully it will arrive sometime next week.

Same here! Expected by the end of this upcoming week.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, mine says Dec 9th delivery. However, it's already at the local FedEx place so maybe it'll arrive tomorrow.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-c...p?skuId=6507836

I ordered this Acer Chromebook Spin 714 for $479 (regular price $729). i5 12th gen 8GB/256 14".

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Which Chromebook would you recommend for the user who is still reasonably happy with their Acer C720? The most challenging task would be some light photo processing on the level of Snapseed. An extended ~128GB storage would also be a plus.

The one above looks pretty interesting, but I was out of Chromebook game for quite some time, and have no idea what's considered to be good.

The reason I'm even replacing my C720 is it finally developed some hardware problems, and websites started yelling at me for using "an unsupported browser".

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

ringu0 posted:

Which Chromebook would you recommend for the user who is still reasonably happy with their Acer C720? The most challenging task would be some light photo processing on the level of Snapseed. An extended ~128GB storage would also be a plus.

The one above looks pretty interesting, but I was out of Chromebook game for quite some time, and have no idea what's considered to be good.

The reason I'm even replacing my C720 is it finally developed some hardware problems, and websites started yelling at me for using "an unsupported browser".

My general statement is that there are so many good CBs nowadays that you can pick any one that meets your minimum requirements (e.g. display size & resolution, backlit keyboard?, internal storage, etc.) although I'd suggest specifically looking for 8+ GB of RAM. There's been a lot of specific recommendations from other users over the past couple of pages, and I've mentioned a $400 Lenovo "gaming" CB that is nice for the price in general. Hell, a couple of us will be getting the brand-new Framework CB in the next week, so you might be interested in waiting to see what we think of that. It's about $1k, but since you've gotten, what, 8 years out of the C720, that's a reasonable sum amortized over all those years if you're the type to hang onto devices long-term (and this specific laptop is made for that type of user!) Beyond that, you'd need to provide a price range if you want more specific recommendations.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Great points all around, thanks. I didn't provide enough details, because I thought anything is an improvement over ~10 years old device. Decided to try that Spin 714 linked above, as it can be returned until mid-January.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Framework Chromebook has arrived and I'm typing this on it right now. First impressions are good, but I'll have to use it a bit before I have any real thoughts. I do think this will make a nice successor to the Pixelbook even if it isn't passively cooled.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ok, so far the Framework Chromebook is mostly great. Haven't had really any hitches with it and it checks all the boxes of premium performance and good build quality. For ports, I bundled with it two USB-C, one USB-A, and one HDMI.

My only complaint is the screen. Not the panel itself which seems to be fine. It's punchy, high contrast, all around great. It's the fact that they didn't even attempt to do any sort of antiglare coating on it. It's not just the screen is glossy, it's THE most glossy screen I think I've had in a while.

If I put it side by side with my XPS 13 Plus, both have glossy screens. However, the reflections in the Framework screen are much more defined and brighter. Dell obviously puts some anti-glare coating on the screen that dampens the reflections of even a glossy screen that just isn't present on the Framework screen.

It's not a deal breaker by any means, but I wish they would have put a bit more effort for that bit.

Battery life seems to be around 7 hours which isn't class leading for a Chromebook, but still pretty drat nice for something that has an i5-1240P in it.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Mine came on Tuesday, and the first thing I did was add an 8 GB DIMM I had lying around. Then I set it up, and installed Steam and started to download some games, because of course that's the first thing I'd do with it. :rolleyes: Beyond that, yeah, build quality and performance are good, although I've only had this thing up and running for a couple hours now after arriving home from work, so I don't have much else to say about it yet.

I ordered at least one of each of most of the expansion modules, but started off with 2x USB-C and 2x USB-A ports, with one of each on both sides; the 2015 CB Pixel set the standard of having one PD port on each side so you can plug it in as convenient for your current working position.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Happy as hell with my HP (Tigerlake) 2-1.

It's been about a decade since I used an Android phone or tab and I recall owning most of the popular Launchers (Pro versions). Went to try Apex, then Microsoft just to see. How do I get it to take over the device?

They all go into phone mode and size accordingly, selecting tab makes it a rectangle instead basically.

All seem like they're compatible. How do I not be an idiot and what Launcher is worth in 22

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
If you're trying to run an android launcher from the play store on a Chromebook and make it have any control over the system, I don't think that is supported by the android containers. Android apps, including launchers are isolated from the rest of the system and can only really send intents to launch activities. No intent can control how another android app displays or works.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

So basically it's run the preloaded UI? That's no problem. Looks like there is a Chromebook specific Launcher that was just released. Anyone have insight on that being worth?

also why is my Lenovo going into set-up mode and forcing it after going to sleep? Once I get through the tedious bullshit my settings are all still active, icons installed, unmoved. Google isn't showing anything.

edit: I was asleep for maybe 20 min and it's forcing me to go as far as giving my phone number again. First time it was this intense.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I just got a Lenovo Flex 5 for Christmas, and... I feel like the trackpad is garbage? To the point where my main question is "if I have to think aloud whether the trackpad is garbage, does that mean I got a defective one, or is there an option I'm missing?"

I'm talking like, sometimes if I overshoot a link a little, normally on my Macbook I'd just move my finger a half inch and the cursor would go to it. Here, 50% of the time it doesn't register any cursor movement. Other times if I want to go from the top of the screen to the bottom, sometimes I can just swipe two times and it'll get me there, other times thatll move the cursor an inch, and I have to repeat a swipe like six times.

On the former, it almost seems like it's such a small movement that it's interpreting it as a tap-to-click, and just locking the cursor rather than moving it an inch; this happens even when I turn off tap to click.

Is this a common complaint? Am I just used to a style of using the touchpad where I use more smaller movements rather than fewer larger movements?

SgtScruffy fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 26, 2022

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Anyone have any experience installing new OS's chromebooks?

As I understand it, it's possible on some chromebooks. However, on others, they gut the back end enough that even after enabling developer mode and boot from iso sticks, the machine won't recognize the OS.

I tried to install manjaro on my chromebook. Enabled dev mode, enabled install from ISO stick, but instead of booting from the USB it beeped and entered the chromium OS setup.

Any work arounds? I'm not interested in a dual boot.

E: it's a lenova ideapad 5

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 17, 2023

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

last time i installed a custom os on a chromebook i had to physically remove a write protect screw from the motherboard but that was years ago

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I was actually just looking into this the other day; my 2015 Pixel is still in great shape but unfortunately doesn't get software updates anymore. I found this resource, although I haven't done anything with it yet. (And unfortunately my Pixel is one of the models with a write protect screw to remove.)

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Toalpaz posted:

Anyone have any experience installing new OS's chromebooks?
I haven't, but:

Chrome(ium) OS uses a custom boot procedure instead of a traditional BIOS and while all of the relevant code is opensource I'm not sure how much (if any) of it has been upstreamed in the Linux kernel, so I wouldn't necessarily expect a standard distro USB image to boot on a Chromebook out of the box. That said MrChromebox (see Atomizer's link) provides builds of Coreboot+Tianocore to provide UEFI support on many Intel Chromebooks. You'll have to disable firmware write protection (remove the write-protect screw, or on newer models use either a SuzyQ cable or unplug the battery) and flash the new boot firmware from developer mode. From there it should just boot a UEFI and you can boot your USB media as normal.

Amusingly enough, this approach provides a "pretty darn opensource" firmware stack, relative to even Intel reference hardware.

mystes
May 31, 2006

After getting a bunch of use out of the dirt cheap IdeaPad 11.6" chromebook I picked up in June for situations like where I have to leave it in my car, I decided I was happy enough with chrome os to buy a used Lenovo Flex 5i 13.3" to try to use in place of my pretty old laptop in other situations and I'm pretty satisfied with it so far.

I had vaguely been eyeing some of the "gaming chromebooks" that there have been deals for but they have pretty weird specs and I decided it didn't really make that much sense to spend more money right now for a 12th gen processor but still only have 8gb of ram.

I might try to upgrade the 128gb ssd at some point but unfortunately it only takes 2242's and the options seem to be somewhat limited.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

mystes posted:

After getting a bunch of use out of the dirt cheap IdeaPad 11.6" chromebook I picked up in June for situations like where I have to leave it in my car, I decided I was happy enough with chrome os to buy a used Lenovo Flex 5i 13.3" to try to use in place of my pretty old laptop in other situations and I'm pretty satisfied with it so far.

I had vaguely been eyeing some of the "gaming chromebooks" that there have been deals for but they have pretty weird specs and I decided it didn't really make that much sense to spend more money right now for a 12th gen processor but still only have 8gb of ram.

I might try to upgrade the 128gb ssd at some point but unfortunately it only takes 2242's and the options seem to be somewhat limited.

The ~gaming~ CBs basically just have RGB lighting and above-average displays. I definitely wouldn't go with any less than 16 GB of RAM for my daily driver (I have about 10 GB in use right now on this machine.)

There are plenty of options for small m.2 SSDs above 128 GB capacity; we're already putting 1 TB (or more) drives in our Steam Drecks, and those are 2230s. I bought a 512 GB OEM SSD from a laptop pull off eBay for ~$50, and later a 1 TB Xbox pull for ~$100.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The "gaming chromebooks" were just vaguely tempting because they were $430-$450 for a 12th gen i3 processor and a 2k-ish 120fps 16" screen.

The 12th gen i3 processors are a huge upgrade over previous 2 core i3 laptop cpus because they have 4 p cores (and 8 e cores).

It seems like the specs on budget chromebooks have been pretty stagnant but they're finally poised to improve. Right now my requirements aren't that high, my old laptop is pretty clunky, and I just wanted something more convenient for travelling, plus it would be nice to have a folding one that I can use to minimally replace my extremely ancient android tablet to some degree, which is why I just picked up the lenovo flex 5i since it was extremely cheap ($190), but I figure if the better specs trickle down I might replace it in a couple years.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Has anyone tested an XLR mic -> USB C audio interface on a Chromebook? I’m looking at the Scarlett Gen 3 models but it’s hit or miss if a Chromebook would work with it.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Jonny Quest posted:

Has anyone tested an XLR mic -> USB C audio interface on a Chromebook? I’m looking at the Scarlett Gen 3 models but it’s hit or miss if a Chromebook would work with it.

No, but if both devices are USB Audio compatible, they should work. That is, if you have a USB Audio device, and the CB is also compliant (I mention this because one of those cheap ARM-based Lenovo tablets I bought doesn't appear to be) then I think it could work.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

"They said I was a madman. They said it couldn't be done. But I'll show them; I'll show them all!" :twisted:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Atomizer posted:

"They said I was a madman. They said it couldn't be done. But I'll show them; I'll show them all!" :twisted:

What the what?! :lmao:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Yeah, I was gonna go to 32 GB anyway, but when a 64 GB kit dropped to a little over $100 I just said "gently caress it" and maxed it out, once and for all.

It's hard to tell, but the value of that RAM in-use bar is around 14 GB, and that's like 2 minutes after boot, without doing anything but let it load my tabs/windows, so between that and the fact that this thing can play games now, I definitely needed to upgrade over 16 GB. (I don't actually need 64 GB, though.)

Note that it started with 8 GB, so although I did initially drop in another 8 GB DIMM I had sitting around, now I've technically octupled my CB's RAM. :getin:

No regerts. :colbert:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Atomizer posted:

Yeah, I was gonna go to 32 GB anyway, but when a 64 GB kit dropped to a little over $100 I just said "gently caress it" and maxed it out, once and for all.

No regerts. :colbert:

I thought going from 4 to 8GB in my newest Chromebook was a game changer. I wouldn't even know what to do with that much ram.

Speaking of my Chromebook. I've been ignoring my MediaTek Kompanio 828 Acer 14 for a few months because it was largely replaced with a Lenovo Windows Yoga 7i, but I've been using it a bit again lately and I kind of fell back in love with Chrome OS, it's light weight, solid browsing experience, absolutely zero heat or fan noise (it has no fan), and absolutely insane 15+ hour battery life. My only complaint about the machine is that the speakers sound worse than my drat phone, despite its "DTS" branding. I bet they could be made to sound better if ChromeOS had some sort of user adjustable equalizer settings. Ah well.

Sometimes the ARM cores struggle with loading a lot of content on a page, especially when I'm running a dozen tabs, but all things considered; I think the performance is great. If they were to refresh this thing with a Snapdragon 8 gen 2 or a functionally equivalent chip; I bet it would surprise a lot of people.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Mental Hospitality posted:

I thought going from 4 to 8GB in my newest Chromebook was a game changer. I wouldn't even know what to do with that much ram.

Speaking of my Chromebook. I've been ignoring my MediaTek Kompanio 828 Acer 14 for a few months because it was largely replaced with a Lenovo Windows Yoga 7i, but I've been using it a bit again lately and I kind of fell back in love with Chrome OS, it's light weight, solid browsing experience, absolutely zero heat or fan noise (it has no fan), and absolutely insane 15+ hour battery life. My only complaint about the machine is that the speakers sound worse than my drat phone, despite its "DTS" branding. I bet they could be made to sound better if ChromeOS had some sort of user adjustable equalizer settings. Ah well.

Sometimes the ARM cores struggle with loading a lot of content on a page, especially when I'm running a dozen tabs, but all things considered; I think the performance is great. If they were to refresh this thing with a Snapdragon 8 gen 2 or a functionally equivalent chip; I bet it would surprise a lot of people.

My first CB was actually a very early Samsung ARM-powered model that was quickly replaced with the much better Acer C710, partially because of the abysmal performance (note the CPU and RAM) of the former, but perhaps more because the speakers were so awful it actually hurt to listen to. I don't know what was wrong with those speakers that they made everything uncomfortable to listen to regardless of the volume level, but they managed to be that bad! (The battery life was, admittedly, great though.)

And I bought that thing in June of 2013, meaning I'm coming up on a decade of, "yes, a power user can daily drive ChromeOS." I've been using PCs for 30 years, since DOS and Windows 3.11. If they know what they're doing, anyone can make ChromeOS work for the vast majority of the stuff they do on a computer. That's why I spend the money on higher-end CBs too.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mental Hospitality posted:

Even though Chrome OS is pretty usable even with 4gb, and if you aren't using android apps or crostini that much you might not strictly need 8gb, it might still be worth it to avoid having to suspend tabs in the browser because that makes things slower. I would also just suggest ideally not buying one with only 4gb now for future proofing just in case.

I'm pretty happy with chrome os for 90% of what I need on the go right now but at some point I'm going to have to decide whether to replace my old real laptop with a higher spec chromebook with a bigger screen in cases where I need that when traveling. Unfortunately I've experienced a fair amount of issues with crostini which make it hard for me to trust chrome os for 100% of what I need to do so I'm not sure I would feel comfortable with that yet.

Chrome OS is a fantastic experience when it works for what you want it to do though.

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 20, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
My beater chromebook that I use for web browsing and posting around the house is starting to have the battery get old enough to annoy me, and it has gotten its final software update. It's an Acer C771, with a mediocre 1366x768 screen and a Skylake Celeron. I'm curious what's out there to replace it, but it looks like a lot of newer chromebooks have gotten bigger and more premium. This thing was $199 and I have liked it a hell of a lot and used it more than I expected.

What are some decent models to look at that are:
  1. Compact. The point of this thing is to be small. The 11" screen is fine but my dream replacement would have a 12" or 13" screen. I'm open to 14" options only if the bezel is really thin.
  2. Good keyboard The main purpose of this device is to be typed into. This lovely $199 school-targeting Chromebook has a better keyboard than the multi-thousand dollar Macbook Pros I've gotten from work from 2016-2020.
  3. Cheap. I want this to be a tossable laptop that I would be OK with getting kid-smashed or splashed or lost. Durable is nice also, but cheap is king. I never expected the one I'm typing on right now to make it to 6 years old like it has.

I'd like a nicer screen, but don't need it. To me this device is the opposite of an iPad, something that I type into and the keyboard is its most important part. Also, what the hell is a "Gaming Chromebook" and what games would even run on chromebooks? Why is this a segment?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

I'd like a nicer screen, but don't need it. To me this device is the opposite of an iPad, something that I type into and the keyboard is its most important part. Also, what the hell is a "Gaming Chromebook" and what games would even run on chromebooks? Why is this a segment?

Pretty much all Chromebooks do a decent job with the game streaming services like GeForce Now, Xbox Cloud Gaming etc, and then Steam runs pretty decently - and more importantly officially - on modern Intel/AMD Chromebooks for pretty much any game that works on a Steamdeck.

https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/steam-on-chromeos/

Xiphas
Nov 5, 2004
A gaming Chromebook on the low end is essentially a marketing ploy - you run games through cloud streaming services like GeForce Now or Gamepass Cloud. It works OK if you have a decent Internet setup.

On the high end, there are Chromebooks that can run Steam in a Linux container called Borealis. I haven't tried this as my Pixelbook is too old and doesn't support Vulkan. I imagine performance would be worse than even something like the Steam Deck since you have the added overhead of containerization + Proton. Supposedly Borealis has direct access to the integrated graphics via vulkan, but you'll have to talk to someone who has a fancy new Chromebook to confirm.

I was a big fan of the containerization approach of Linux + Android on Chrome OS, but it's performance really has been subpar. This is why my next laptop is going to be just a Linux machine. Don't count on the Linux and Android containers - they are slow and break constantly.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

It's pretty funny and very Google that they killed Stadia before they properly launched the "Gaming Chromebooks"

mystes
May 31, 2006

blunt posted:

It's pretty funny and very Google that they killed Stadia before they properly launched the "Gaming Chromebooks"
they don't even have enough of a pretense of any sort of overall coordination or strategy for it to even feel ironic

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I do wish that Google would make Steam available as a flag on the stable channel. I would like to play the occasional indie game on my Acer Spin 714 with a 12th gen intel cpu. I'm aware that Steam in Crostini is a thing, but even though flatpak installs have made it much easier, it's still a bit of a pain.

Edit: This https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/steam-on-chromeos/

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think they're about to roll it out on the stable channel?