Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
I finally replaced my pixelbook with an Acer Spin 713 last week and this news is such a bummer.

It's really nice having something roughly equivalent to my pixelbook except with a processor that doesn't drag its heels every time you wake it from sleep, or instantly thermal throttle the second it smells some data coming, and that i hadn't ridden the battery so far into the ground (4897 cycle count according to diagnostics) that meant I was only getting 3 hours between charges. and monitor bezels you can't drive a truck through!

But goddamn this thing is such a bummer in so many other ways, it's so fat and heavy and the hinge is weird and the speakers are dogshit and the keyboard's a loose sloppy mess and the fuckin fans just whoosh all the goddamn time for no reason.

rip pixelbook. eat butt, google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Arivia posted:

If you want a 2-in-1, Apple has a product for you: the iPad Air or Pro.

That's a 1-in-1

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Quixzlizx posted:

Has Google given any way yet to change the 5 minute screen shutoff/OS lock timer? It's especially annoying because my Google account has a strong password because I'd obviously have major problems if someone got in there.

I'm seriously surprised that more people don't have issues with this, it's basically a deal-breaker for me for using ChromeOS as more than a curiosity/backup device.

I just always set a pin on the device - it lets you get into the chromebook with just the pin, but keeps password prompts for bigger stuff (and doesn't weaken the google account itself, unless someone has physical access to your chromebook there's nothing they can do with the pin).

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

waffle iron posted:

I do not understand what you're saying.

What is the behavior you don't like? What is the behavior you would prefer?

The screen turns off and drops you to the lock screen after 5 minutes of inactivity in chromeos, then you gotta password/pin/fingerprint back in - it's done this on every chromebook i've ever had, with no way to change the timer.

You can turn off that behaviour so it never locks, but there's no way to have it lock but adjust the lockout timer that I'm aware of.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
I have a similar request but specifically for if anyone has recommendations for fanless, or at least "the fan barely ever kicks on" chromebooks.

I finally gave up on my beloved Pixelbook late last year and switched to a fancy i7 acer because I got tempted by the idea of getting something that would eventually be steam compatible, but the fan profile on this thing means the fan kicks on all the drat time and I didn't realise how irritating I would find the fan noise. Has anyone had any experience with fanless pixelbook style replacements?

I find myself happier to sacrifice performance for whisper quietness, even if the pixelbook did sometimes take 10 minutes to do a really basic apt install in crostini while the little strip of metal above the keyboard got hot enough to egg fry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
I'm in the same trap. Pixelbook was kinda dying so I started hunting replacements, and last year ended up grabbing an Acer CP713. Same rough feature set as the pixelbook, but yeah not fanless.

The first one that turned up had some kind of faulty connector, if I tried to rotate the screen past a certain point it would cut out. Had to send it back (stupid acer store didn't do replacements). Still was set on getting it so ordered another one, which arrived in working condition.

The fans on this thing.. are so irritating, and go off completely at random it feels like. It's nice being able to run heavier workloads on this that the pixelbook would throttle all to hell, but I'm not sure if I ever want to take the trade again of having this thing whistling away at me. I'm torn on whether to try and go fanless again next time (though options are slim on the ground).

Also, I've only had it for a year and a half and the thing is absolutely falling apart already. Over the course of a year the two little rubber bits that act to lift the screen off of a surface when you are in "laptop" mode both came loose and fell off, and now the casing on the screen side has started coming loose near the hinge. Doesn't seem to be breaking the operation of anything exactly, but makes some horrible crunchy noises if I move the screen from one of the corners.

So now I'm idly looking for a replacement for this before it falls all the way apart, and just can't seem to find anything that matches what I want - and is actually available to purchase in the UK (and preferably comes with the UK layout keyboard, but that's often hard to tell cos everyone just uses stock photography of these things which all feature the US keyboard even when you're actually buying something with a UK keyboard). Really wish I'd jumped on the framework CB, cos it too seems to be discontinued now? Or just never launched in the UK.

Half considering just going back to my old shelved pixelbook. It was still working, just a bit slow.