Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Hello to the Chromebook thread! I apologize if this is not thread specific enough.

I am a teacher at a small, generally poor school in southern Illinois. We recently got a grant and upgraded some of our chromebooks from this flimsy Samsung model:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Chromebook-Wi-Fi-11-6-Inch-Model/dp/B009LL9VDG

To this sturdier HP model:

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Chromeboo...hromebook&psc=1

I am essentially the tech guy for our school (I have two of our older chromebooks that I need to replace the screens) and my principal asked me for suggestions for a decent priced charging cart for our chromebooks. We currently have this set up. We purchased this cart for $150 a year ago but now it is $389.

https://www.amazon.com/Luxor-Furnit...2Z8HGK99M9YK0W3

Does anyone know any good places to purchase decently priced carts or does anyone have a good option for a decently priced cart?

Thanks for any information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh hey, I remember you from Reddit.

Have you tried Newegg?

I have checked Newegg and theirs was more expensive.

I have never posted on reddit but it does make me feel better knowing that other people go through similar crap.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

It was actually the same story...weird.

..Though it also might be just on SA and I'm misremembering.

Either way! I checked online cause no one I know knows anything about charge carts but..

https://www.techedu.com/Charging-Carts-and-Sync-Stations/chromebook-charging-carts/

https://www.schoolsin.com/laptop_computer_storage.html (there's some decently priced ones here)

I hope these help!

Thanks for the info. I will send it to my principal.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I am having a problem with a student’s Chromebook and I cannot figure anything out. I asked the google support community but they have not responded. I am hopeful someone here may have an idea of what is happening and a solution to it.

I have a Lenovo N22 Chromebook with an OS build of 73.03683.114. Every time I have chrome brought up, if I try to type anything or if I am on a page for more than a few seconds, it will kick me back one page or it will kick me back to the starting page. For example, chrome kicks me back into the YouTube video list when I am watching a video (usually only 8 seconds into the video). When I type in the url box, it kicks me back to the starting page. If I click on a recent website, it will either kick me back to the starting page after a few seconds or if I try to type something on the page, it will automatically kick me back.

I have wiped the Chromebook. I have logged myself in (instead of the student) and it continues to do it.

Any ideas?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I am a teacher and have became our school’s de facto tech guy. I got an email earlier from a teacher asking why she cannot Open a PowerPoint. She says that she gets this screen when trying to open it:

It says that it cannot open the file and then it talks about internet connection. Before I check it out tomorrow, I wanted to make sure:

A PPTX file can be opened in google drive through Slides, correct? I will not have to set up some extension to push it through, will I?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

She has never emailed me it before so I assume that this is new. Thanks for the link. I will check those out before school today.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I got to look at it today. It is some website called Kessler Science or something like that. I clicked the download button on their website for the PowerPoint but it will not even download anything.

I told the teacher that it must be on their website and her best bet is to contact them and either ask for a refund or for them to email some resources to her. We will see if they go for either.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

My school will probably be doing remote learning in a month or so. Students will be taking their chromebooks home to do work but we have enough students without reliable internet or no internet at home that we are going to be sending work home every week on a flash drive which they will bring back the next week.

My questions:
- is there an easy to use program to save videos (like YouTube videos) or audio “like podcasts” to your Chromebook in order to add to the flash drives?
- what program or app will be necessary for students to be able to watch video/audio (regardless of it is saved or a classroom made one) on a Chromebook with no internet?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Having an issue with some chromebooks.

Another school in our district called me today with 4 student Chromebooks having issues.

1 Chromebook is constantly giving an WiFi connection out of range message. Teacher took it home to test it and it worked just fine. All other Chromebooks are working just fine with the internet. I sent him how to reset network settings so hopefully that will correct it. If not, what could be the next step.

3 Chromebooks can no longer charge and turn on. When plugged in, the battery light will not even light up. We have tried the unplug from chromebook, unplug from wall, wait and plug back into chromebook and then the wall. No response. While plugged in, the Chromebook will not turn on and it will not respond to wipe commands or factory reset commands. Any ideas on what we can do?

Also, the teacher is wondering if the kids were able to cause this. He think they might have changed a setting to do this because 1) all 3 are buddies and 2) they are always looking to get out of doing work and this is keeping them from doing work. Without physically damaging the Chromebook, I cannot figure anything out.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Atomizer posted:

How old are the other CBs with battery issues? It's entirely possible that the batteries are worn out, and perhaps are swelling up. They should still power on with external power, however it's possible that they're in the same situation as a smartphone I had to repair: the battery had swollen to the point where it disconnected the USB port internally, so the battery couldn't recharge nor could the device operate at all because it wasn't receiving power. Another option would be physical damage as above resulting in similar internal damage; you can never rule this out when talking about kids' stuff.

They are almost a year and a half old (April of 2019)

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

waffle iron posted:

The only exception is that Chromebooks enrolled into MDM with Education or Business accounts can be locked.

Yep, I work in a school and was essentially the IT guy. We had a kid say that someone stole his Chromebook so he should not have to pay. I locked the Chromebook and suddenly it was found.

I am guessing he tried to sell it and the person tested the Chromebook only to find that it was completely locked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I did not see a general google suites thread so I am hoping someone has an idea here.

I am yearbook sponsor at the school I teach at and this was my first year. All of this past years photos and documents (around 50-60 GBs) are on google drive and I am trying to move it to an external hard drive (by school policy).

What is the easiest way to do this and have it move correctly? I tried to download the entire folder as a zip but it failed multiple times. I tried to use my Chromebook’s files app to copy and past it from google drive but I would get entire folder that were empty and it would not allow me to paste the actual files in it.

Edit: I figured a way to get it done. Download each individual folder directly into the drive. It will take a while to get it all but at least it will be it all.

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 12, 2023