Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I think it's finally time to replace my OG Pixelbook.

I've been using my daughter's HP Chromebook X2. I love the size and weight of it, and I love that the pen is always charged, but the keyboard kinda blows. Also the hard drive is kinda small: I use Linux heavily.

Are there any options today that are small, lightweight, work as a tablet, can use some sort of pen, and have a flip-around keyboard instead of a tear-off keyboard? I probably don't give two poops about CPU speed, since the Pixelbook was meeting my needs just fine.

cruft fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Mental Hospitality posted:

Maybe something like this Lenovo? Probably have to get a pen separately but Lenovo sells a bunch and I believe you can get one that works with the Flex 5.

Cool, that looks like a contender... Lenovo idea pads seem to fit the bill, there are even smaller ones than what you linked. The Chromebook x2 is 11.0", which fits nicely into my purse.

Is it unfair of me to be using bezel size as a proxy for how crappy a machine is? Everything looks either gigantic (15" or more) or chonky (made for school children)

e: I take it back, the only Lenovo under 15" has a tear-off keyboard :(

cruft fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 25, 2024

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

waffle iron posted:

Yeah most of the smaller laptops are very low budget/educational market focused. Plastic, under resourced, and can be thrown around by kids.

Hmm, kinda sounds (and looks) like my best option is the HP Chromebook x2 I already have, then. Heh.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Xiphas posted:

I have a Pixelbook, and it is hands down my favorite laptop ever. I keep trying to find something to replace it, and I can't find anything that is a 1-to-1 match for it. Nothing has the same feature set. The Dragonfly comes the closest, but it is not fanless. I would also like something with more memory just to future proof it.

When my daughter dropped my Pixelbook and the trackpad went out, the replacement I went for was....another Pixelbook. I went from a i5 Pixelbook to a i7 one. I didn't think the extra memory and processor bump would do anything, but it seems snappier than my old Pixelbook when I do a side-by-side comparison. I don't recommend anyone else do this unless you are crazy like me.

Since you say that you are happy with the performance of your Pixelbook, why not try to ride it out until AUE? Google granted the Pixelbook another 3 years of support, so I would say ride it out until the end. That's what I am going to do - and pray that Google reconsiders making a true in-house successor.

yeah that's a thought. I would have to replace the battery, but that appears to be documented and doesn't look more difficult than a cell phone... Hmmm...

It feels so gigantic compared to this x2 though. And the camera is crap by comparison. I guess I already have my ideal Chromebook right here.

cruft fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 26, 2024

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Really looking forward to the next release of ChromeOS, so I don't have to open crosh and run "vmc stop arcvm" after every resume from sleep.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Crossposting from the tablet thread - My wife wants a device to replace her existing old laptop. We were thinking tablet plus a peripheral keyboard because she honestly doesn't do much:
-watch streams (both from websites and via apps)
-web surfing (reddit etc, nothing that requires exceptional processing power but you know how the internet is in 2024)
-document writing/the occasional spreadsheet (google docs is sufficient, no need for Actual Excel or whatever, think cover letters and to-do lists and such)
-built-in camera for job interviews/virtual doctor appointments (headphone jack nice but not mandatory, especially if it takes usb-c headphones already)

and verbatim from her: "I don't like change, so I want something that will be similar in layout and functionality to what I already have"

Had been thinking just get an iPad and a dock to plug usb keyboard/mouse into, is there a reason to go full Chromebook ("cheaper" is definitely a reason, mind you) or any pitfalls that she - a lifetime Windows/Chrome user - would have to worry about? I assume not but I have to ask.

A Chromebook will get software updates for longer than an Android tablet, and if your needs are limited to what you stated, will save you a fair chunk of change over an iPad. It also has the advantage of self-updating, and those updates are seriously no big deal: no waiting around for things to happen or scheduled reboots, you just get a little notice saying there's a new version ready, and next time you reboot, you're on the new version. No having to wait for updates before you can use your stuff, it's instant.

Ms Cruft moved from Windows to ChromeOS about 10 years ago and the adjustment period was maybe 30 minutes.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Yeah I kind of noticed. Everything runs through chrome it seems. Are there any good extensions that can help manage that stuff?

Doing a bit of digging I've found that I could try installing Chrome OS flex instead but I have no idea if that's going to be an improvement or not

There's not much to be done here: adding more software is unlikely to help with a limited RAM situation. If anything, removing extensions would help.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I literally only use it to have a couple Google docs open for when I run RPGs and it still feels like it sucks at that task.

If you can use a simple text editor instead of Google Docs, you're likely to see a massive improvement.

text is a pretty lightweight option.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

DarkAvenger211 posted:

disabling the play store gave me back a whole GB so it's definitely feeling a bit lighter now.

:peanut: 25% is great!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

god please help me posted:

Is it easy to swap the OS on a chromebook to something else? I'd be tempted to try out Ubuntu on that.

strong username/post energy here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

god please help me posted:

darn it, I'm never escaping this username.

Ah thank you for the response! I guess it may not be worth it yet to buy a Samsung chromebook just to put Linux on it, even if I think the chromebook is pretty as hell.

Or at least if I can tell if chromebooks can take decent classroom notes even without an internet connection.

Godspeed, n22. o7

The Chromebooks I've owned have, generally, been much prettier than the non-Chromebook laptops I've owned. Not sure why, maybe because they can cut back on parts. But I totally understand wanting to run Linux on one. If I could convince myself to replace the battery on this OG Pixelbook I might just look into Linuxing it up.