Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
If anyone else has the update to Chrome 102 completely gently caress up your display colors for no clear reason, go to chrome://flags and check #force-color-profile

The update had forced my cheapo Acer chromebook with a TN screen to the HDR10 color profile and it was looking extremely washed out. It made for a distressing couple minutes before I googled this myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
My beater chromebook that I use for web browsing and posting around the house is starting to have the battery get old enough to annoy me, and it has gotten its final software update. It's an Acer C771, with a mediocre 1366x768 screen and a Skylake Celeron. I'm curious what's out there to replace it, but it looks like a lot of newer chromebooks have gotten bigger and more premium. This thing was $199 and I have liked it a hell of a lot and used it more than I expected.

What are some decent models to look at that are:
  1. Compact. The point of this thing is to be small. The 11" screen is fine but my dream replacement would have a 12" or 13" screen. I'm open to 14" options only if the bezel is really thin.
  2. Good keyboard The main purpose of this device is to be typed into. This lovely $199 school-targeting Chromebook has a better keyboard than the multi-thousand dollar Macbook Pros I've gotten from work from 2016-2020.
  3. Cheap. I want this to be a tossable laptop that I would be OK with getting kid-smashed or splashed or lost. Durable is nice also, but cheap is king. I never expected the one I'm typing on right now to make it to 6 years old like it has.

I'd like a nicer screen, but don't need it. To me this device is the opposite of an iPad, something that I type into and the keyboard is its most important part. Also, what the hell is a "Gaming Chromebook" and what games would even run on chromebooks? Why is this a segment?