Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Add me in as someone who doesn't have the same issues with the Pixelbook pen that he did. Mine works with minimal pressure.

That said, I initially had issues with it stopping to register at certain angles. I just pulled the tip out and put it back in and haven't had an issue since.

I've been loving the poo poo out of my Pixelbook and I have one of the devices he mentioned in the video, the Surface Pro (i7, 8gb, 256gb config). Now, I also love the Surface Pro and if I needed to take a general high powered computer somewhere to use a desktop app, I would carry it with me. However, most of the time, I don't need something like that. I need a browser and Android apps will give me the rest of the functionality I need.

For example, if I was worried about logging into my work VDI from anywhere if I knew I was going to be away from home for awhile, it would likely be the Pixelbook that gets thrown in my bag rather than my Surface pro because the keyboard/trackpad combo is better and the Android Horizon app is nearly as good as the Windows client.

Most of the apps I use on a daily basis are Android apps since my phone is the thing I have with me all the time. So, it makes sense that the larger screen I want to carry around with me the most also runs those android apps.

Yeah, I can do it for cheaper and I have tried cheaper in the past. I've had a Toshiba Chromebook 2, HP Chromebook 13, and Samsung Chromebook Pro.

The Toshiba was dipping my first toes into ChromeOS and I really liked the simplicity of it. The HP purchase was to get that simplicity in a better hardware package and it mostly succeeded at that, but then it became important that chromebooks have a touchscreen.

I went after the Chromebook Pro before it became clear that Google was coming out with their own. It looked great on paper, but the hardware quality is severely lacking. It developed creaking in the chassis after only a few months of light use and I need to RMA it for an issue that's plaguing a lot of people (phantom touch inputs after you convert it between tablet and laptop mode.) The keyboard also was the worst out of the three chromebooks I previously owned.

So, I had a device that I used on a daily basis who's high points (screen, speed, simplicity) were marred by various hardware nits. So, when they announced the Pixelbook, that basically became the perfect device for me. It took the screen, OS, even more performance and wrapped them into a top notch hardware package with no real faults that I've been able to find. It's been a joy to use.

You can get cheaper chromebooks with pretty much the same functionality and I say go for it. However, the Pixelbook is best feeling and best thought out piece of hardware I've used in a long long time. I think it's worth every cent if you love using ChromeOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

99% of my non-work, non-gaming computer use now is my Pixelbook. It lasts forever, charges extremely fast, has a fantastic screen, is a joy to type on, keeps me from reaching for my phone is there's a specific Android app I was looking to use, and the performance is amazing. This is all wrapped in a super premium package.

It's what I've been searching for as a daily computer for years. I'm extremely happy with it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Cheesemaster200 posted:

All told, it was only ~$150 more than the Samsung Pro, and I think you get so much more from the Pixelbook.

As someone who has owned both. You do, oh god you do. The Pixelbook takes the single good thing about the Samsung Chromebook Pro (the screen) and takes everything else up to 11.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My Tab S3 can't play Vudu smooth streaming or offline so I don't think the issue is exclusive to Chromebooks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

silence_kit posted:

The issue I’m talking about is not A/V nerd whinging about a dropped frame or an image artifact or incorrect black levels or whatever. What I was talking about in the Amazon Prime Video Android app was horrible lagging and stuttering that impedes understanding what the actors on the TV show are saying and what the actors are doing in the scene.

Only when the image quality is cranked down to like 160x120 does the lag and stuttering drop to a low enough rate to be able to understand the plot of a TV show. This is pretty embarrassing for a new consumer electronics product, even a cheap one rushed out the door by Google, in the year 2018. My budget Android cellphone from 2011 and my $70 Amazon tablet from 2014 could play Amazon Prime Video just fine.

Yet Netflix offline mode works completely fine.

I mean, if it's possible for one 3rd party video provider to do it, you gotta think the issue isn't with the OS.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

AverySpecialfriend posted:

- what's the build quality on the pixelbook

I've never used a better put together piece of hardware.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mine's been rock solid, haven't seen anything like that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm not convinced Samsung has ever resolved the touchscreen issues on them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There's rumors that Linux containers in ChromeOS are going to be announced at I/O. If that's the case, then Intel may be the better bet if you want that functionality.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Make sure you heavily use it as a tablet while you are under warranty/exchange period. Hundreds of people have reported the phantom touch problem (random touches being registered after orientation change that requires a power cycle to clear.). Many have had the problem come back after warranty repair as well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I understand not wanting feature creep, but I'm guessing it's necessary if Google wants even further penetration into the enterprise space.

Developers on Macs would be an easy target to poach with Linux container support. IT departments already hate supporting Macs and if Google said "hey, you can use these tools to manage the machine and basic enterprise apps and the devs can be sandboxed in their own containers for their work tools" I imagine there would be a ton of takers.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

AFAIK new units are still getting the phantom touch issue so I'm not sure LEDs behind the keyboard is the hardware revision they should have been working on.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ChromeOS Linux support is going live in the Dev channel for Pixelbook today.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/05/08/chrome-os-is-getting-linux-app-support/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

2015 Pixel huh?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You know, I thought I was in the Android thread and got really confused there.

So, I had an image in my head of someone disassembling a 2015 Pixel Phone (which doesn't exist) every time a battery got low.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Indications are that the transfer of files from chrome is to Linux will be transparent from chrome using just the file manager.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/05/08/linux-files-will-accessible-chrome-os-file-manager/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

mystes posted:

I think this is more about making chromebooks more appealing to developers.

Absolutely, though I would say not developers directly, but those that manage developer assets.

There's a lot of java development in my company and they use Macbooks. I know the desktop team hates them because it's rough to manage without 3rd party solutions.

Google has the possibility of displacing Apple in the development space with this. Apple is making zero effort in making their products easier to use in an enterprise setting and Google already has a full enterprise solution that only needs the ability to run the right tools.

They even have the right hardware, a Pixelbook will go toe to toe with MacBook hardware but for less money.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's a Debian Stretch VM.

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about performance, being virtualized should be a minimal hit.

I'm guessing the reason they are doing virtualized rather than a container is they want to use a broadly distributed stable kernel for maximum app compatibility.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 10, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FWIW, the Android apps I've been using on my Pixelbook like series guide have been rock solid.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Man, I hope that Valve makes it a priority to get Steamlink's Android app working properly on Chromebook targets. There's so much potential there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It seems to me that the number of people wanting to play Doom in their Pixelbook is larger than those who want to play it on their Galaxy S9.

I can't really see the point of the Steamlink Android app other than eventually bring desktop gaming to ChromeOS or AndroidTV.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Based on the way I've seen ChromeOS handle DPI, FHD at that size probably isn't going to be much of thing. 1:1 scaling at that resolution and size would be too small for most people. Scaling that down would yield 960x540 which would be terribly constrained.

So, 1280x720 or 1600x900 are probably going to be the limits of what you see at that size (with even the later being a bit small.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

https://www.engadget.com/2018/06/13/google-windows-10-pixel/

So, that's a thing. I wonder if this is a serious planned strategy or just some idle project by someone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, I don't know for all Chromebooks, but I've been saying for awhile that the Pixelbook would make one hell of a Windows notebook as well. The hardware is so insanely good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mine did it as well.

The SCREEN is great, the panel is likely the same one that's in use in the Pixelbook. But there's definitely some sort of engineering flaw in them with the connection to the digitizer, some have had the screen replaced like 3 times and it keeps coming back.

It may have something to do with the loosey goosey tolerances in the drat thing. Bottom panel of mine was clicking within a month.

One of the biggest hardware disappointments I've had. I went Pixelbook and never looked back. Now that is the best drat hardware purchase I've ever made.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My Pixelbook remains my most used device as well and I have way too many devices (desktop gaming computer, XPS 15 9550, Surface Pro, Tab S3.)

I'm mulling over the Pixel Slate to replace the Pixelbook and Tab S3 combined. The keyboard situation isn't as ideal, but it should still offer better lapability than the Surface pro.

I'm probably going to distill all my stuff down to Phone, Chromebook, and Ultrabook with eGPU for gaming. I might even forgo that last one and just do a very small form factor PC to replace my gaming desktop. I'm rapidly running out of reasons for a portable Windows device.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There's no battery in the Slate keyboard, it's a keyboard cover like the Surface or iPad.

The Slate is built like a tablet first, but with pogo pins for the keyboard cover. The Verge commented that it was perfectly balanced in the hand, you could actually balance it on your finger tip in the center of the back.

Because it's actually a keyboard cover though, there's no firm connection point to the device so using it on anything other than a table is a little more difficult.

By all accounts so far though, the use of the keys and the touchpad are nearly as good as the Pixelbook.

For me, the Slate may be better than my Pixelbook for my general use case, but I need to see some reviews first and hopefully handle one in Best Buy.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 21, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Picked up an articulating monitor arm for my 4k monitor and a USB-C to displayport cable with Power Delivery input. The monitor now gets high enough that my Pixelbook can be placed under it, open. I have a one cable solution for audio and video output and charging.

I'm really kinda annoyed I didn't do this earlier. It's such a natural feeling setup and the Pixelbook keyboard is even nicer when used on a hard surface.

It's crazy how good some Android apps have gotten on Chromebooks too. I loaded up the Android version of VMWare Horizon and I was able to connect my VDI at work, outputted at 4k to the external monitor.

I was going to replace my keyboard for one that does dual receiver and bluetooth input so I could use it with more than one device, but after using the Pixelbook keyboard like this, I really don't think I need to.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Pixelbook has a headphone jack, it's the Pixel Slate that doesn't.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The extra storage is what prompted me to go with the i5.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It still remains the most satisfying computer purchase for me in quite a long time. About the only thing I would change is the screen bezels to either fit a larger screen or shrink the thing down a bit.

It just works (which can be said for most ChromeOS devices) but the hardware polish also makes it a joy to use.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I have an annoying issue with my Pixelbook that would likely be shared by all intel based chromebooks that use 600 series graphics.

It's also happening with my Surface Pro.

Both think my Dell P2715Q is a 6 bit display and I get all the wonderful dithering that comes with it.

My XPS 15 with an older 500 series graphics detects it just fine and I get 8bit output.

It was a recognized bug this summer.

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490XkfSAE/intel-integrated-graphics-outputs-only-6bit-color-depth?language=en_US

Intel has made a fix for it, but of course it's not as simple as installing newest intel drivers for either the surface or my Pixelbook. I have no idea if Google is eventually going to include the fix in ChromeOS. One downside of not being able to screw around with drivers.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Pixelbook still remains my most favorite electronics purchase in a long long time. I use it daily and it just works and it still feels like it just came out of the box.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's the thing though, as a home machine I have zero use for things like Word or really any apps beyond what I use on my phone.

I just wanted something that was built solidly.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There's nothing about it (except one thing) that can't be bought for less elsewhere and it lost its distinct design and feature advantage.

About the only compelling reason to get it is that it has the pixelbook keyboard and therefore has the best keyboard ever created for a mobile device.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I've had mine do that a few times. There is a trick to getting it working again, though now I can't remember. I think there's a key combination to bypass the battery and get it to boot directly off ac power which resets the hardware and gets everything working again. Then when you restart it works normal again on battery. I've noticed no ill long term effects.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Apparently, Intel is partnering with Google to bring their Project Athena to Chromebooks as well.

https://chromeunboxed.com/google-intel-project-athena-chromebooks-samsung-asus/

The Samsung Galaxy Chromebook and ASUS Chromebook Flip C436 are the first two Project Athena chromebooks. Project Athena imposes minimum hardware standards for devices.

Here are the minimum standards for devices

quote:

quickly waking from sleep in less than a second
biometric login options
Core i5 or i7
at least 8GB of RAM
at least 256GB of NVMe storage
9+ hours of battery with real world usage
16+ hours of battery on looped local video playback
quick charge to 4 hours of battery in less than 30 minutes
Thunderbolt 3
WiFi 6
LTE options
ultra thin 2-in-1 and clamshell designs
12-15″ 1080P touch displays (or better)
narrow bezels
backlit keyboards
great trackpads
pen support

Some of it seems a little overkill for chromebooks, but it's also an easy way to know if the device you are looking at has one of these specs.

This seems to dovetail nicely with this:
https://9to5google.com/2020/01/17/report-google-steam-chromebook-official-support/

Since running steam games will of course require some baseline hardware requirements.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ice lake is surprisingly competent for indy games.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Atomizer posted:

Eh, "can play indie games" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement considering basically any Intel iGPU can do that.

How about this. My Ice Lake XPS 13 2:1 can play Doom 2016 at 720p on ultra at about 45fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Atomizer posted:

Yeah, but can it play Crysis? :smugdog:

Also, Doom 2016 isn't exactly a tough game to run well, although if I were in your position I wouldn't be running it on Ultra settings; I'd rather lower the details and get 60+ FPS. As it stands, if I want to play a low-fidelity version of that game I'd do it on the $200 Switch (Lite). How much did your XPS 13 cost?

I wasn't really going for the best gaming for the buck here nor eeking the best performance out of it, only representing that Ice Lake graphics represent a pretty big jump over the last generation of integrated Intel and makes the prospect of Steam on a Chromebook a lot more useful. I didn't buy the XPS13 to game on, but I did want to see what it could do.

On top of that, we're going to start seeing a lot more AMD APUs in Chromebooks with similar capability.

My main point is that we don't have to wait for dGPU Chromebooks to have a huge library of PC games playable on the hardware.