Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

mystes posted:

Also, are people really using chromebooks outside of education in 2017? I bought a cheap bay trail one a few years ago and since I have it lying around I'm using it with linux in situations (like if I'm going to need it to leave it in a locker at my gym) where I don't want to worry about my better laptop getting stolen. At the time, chromebooks were the only dirt cheap laptops that had solid state (although just emmc) storage, and they had better build quality than cheap windows laptops, but now there are more options on the windows side so I don't think it really makes sense to buy a chromebook just to install linux on it. Also, chromebooks now seem to be as or more expensive than equivalent windows laptops.

If you only need internet/word processing I can see chromeos working, but for the latter use the lack of Word or Libreoffice can be problematic. (I guess for kids writing reports for school they really only need the bare essentials so Google Docs would be sufficient.)

For people who are actually using chromeos without installing linux in whatever form, I would be curious to hear how they are actually using their computer.

I’m speaking as someone who’s in the market to buy a Chromebook.

I’m a publisher. I write and edit and publish books online. It’s my job. For the heavy lifting of making covers and publishing, I require photoshop and a mac (the best publishing program is mac only called Vellum). Considering any given month I’m juggling three of four releases, it also means I need Scrivener for the heavy lifting of editing and and all that. All of that I do on my 5k iMac. It’s the best tool for that job... however, my ancient (2009) MacBook Pro barely works, so for coffee shop writing, and for around my apartment as opposed to my office, I use an iPad Air 2 (which I’m writing this on,) and my iphone. That all being said, for traveling and coffee shops, I want a laptop again, if nothing else for the form factor.

So I look at the new apple laptops and go “I can pay a grand (or more) for a laptop that has a worse keyboard than the one on my laptop from almost a decade ago, for something that all I really need to do on it is write and listen to Spotify”.
Which lead me to chrome books. Now, a low res screen one does not appeal to me, but the Samsung pro, Or the one I most likely will get (HP G1 13 inch) has a screen that’s the equivalent of an apple Retina display. Now it does not have my preferred writing program, but for actual drafting all I really require is a black screen and green text. There’s a free google program (writer) that does just that, and syncs easily with my Imac. Copy paste over to scrivener, and it’s really pretty much seamless. Not to mention, even at it’s premium price ($650 brand new, and the refurbished knock it down to like $400) that beats any of the mac laptops I looked at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

mystes posted:

My original goal was basically just to do word processing, so your use case makes sense LionArcher.

I had sort of forgotten about the exact details, but I just remembered that my main problem was that I was mostly using the chromebook without internet access (I was trying to use it during my commute on public transportation). This caused additional problems that I hadn't anticipated:
1) I didn't have the option of using web sites instead of apps for some things I needed (mainly a dictionary program)
2) There turned out to be lots of additional limitations in Google Docs when used offline. I think even spellchecking didn't work, which was really frustrating? I don't know if that is still the case.
3) Syncing was more finicky than I was hoping. It took some time to actually sync when I got my laptop online again, and it wasn't obvious that it had completed, which was frustrating when I was trying to switch between using my desktop at home and the chromebook. This might also be better now.

I think if you always have internet access when you're using the chromebook it will be a much smoother experience.

Also, a lot of it effectively comes down to how tolerable Google Docs is for your uses. I ended up realizing that I was wasting time because of minor formatting issues when converting to word files.

Edit: Also, at the time, trying to use ARC for android apps was an absolutely terrible experience (really slow to start apps and you couldn't even resize them; they all were one of two fixed sizes based on phone or tablet dimensions). I can imagine that the new system combined with termux covers a lot more use cases.

It still seems like you have to spend a lot of working getting back to where you would start on another operating system if your requirements are at all complicated, though.

You’re issues cover my past fears and why I’ve held off. However I’ll be in wifi spots basically always, and on top of that, nolvr is web based and has a great offline mode. I’m going to test if more thoroughly during nanowrimo to see if it’s worth the price. (Its basically a web based scrivener).

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Atomizer posted:

:siren: Woot has refurbished HP CB 13s on sale right now!:siren: Gogogogogogo!!!!!:siren:

Edit: I can offer my opinions if anyone's unsure on which of the 4 models to get.

Oh come on. I’m not ready to buy this till December. Grumbles. Okay, M3 or M5?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Okay thread, looking at all the options I’m thinking I want a Thinkpad chromebook 13. Any rumors of an updated one? I care about the keyboard the most, and screen second. Considering for full HD they coast around $580, I’m a little leery. especially if a new one is on the horizon. Also, I’m debating between that and an Acer 14, and the price difference (almost 300 bucks) is nuts. In terms of speed, I only need it to run a word processor, Spotify, and have a few other tabs so the speed of those Chromebooks should be fine right?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Can the HP G1 with the m3 please go back on woot? Pretty please. I don’t want to pay $600 for one. Thanks.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Never mind on the HP, acer just announced 4 new Chromebooks, all of which look good.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Atomizer posted:

Man these show up so often I don't even bother linking them anymore. I'll try to remember to though the next time I see them.

I was going to say this. The Acer Spin 13 (and 15 I guess) is one of the first notable CBs I've seen in awhile. i5, 16 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, native stylus support? Sure! (Although the high-end model is probably going to end up close to $1k.) I'll add this one to the 2nd post once more specs show up. Same as with the Acer Tab, and the HP x2 when they're actually available for purchase.

Looks like they new acers won’t be out till late summer? Also, I was going to get a regular Acer 13, but i have a question about the spin. Is there a chrome app that allows you to mark up docs with a pen? Like make edits? Since I’ll be using it for writing 90% of the time, that might be worth the extra $100.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Atomizer posted:

Is this like taking documents and writing on them as if you were writing in the margins of a book or something? It's not an activity I've done myself but I did a little searching; maybe "kami" might work (and it apparently has an extension), squid has an Android app, and maybe any of these or these might work? The nice thing is that you could try any of the extensions in any Chrome installation on a PC you have now, and you can try Squid on a phone or tablet.

Thanks I’ll look into it.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Where the hell are the new Acer 13 Chromebooks? I want one already!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Atomizer posted:

The whole situation sounds a little wonky but I'm glad it at least appears to be working fine now. :shrug:

What instructions did you get for the hardware reset?

If you can find a reasonably-priced 2015 Pixel (2nd-gen) by all means go for it, but I strongly recommend avoiding the first generation one, both for the performance/overheating described, and also now it's old enough to be officially unsupported (the "Auto Update" period, also in the OP.) The HP 13 is worth it, and Woot frequently has refurbs of the various configurations for prices in the $250-500 range (or roughly half MSRP;) here's the base Pentium model (with the QHD+ display though) for $250 for example.

Is that low end model still a good buy? I’d have at most 10 tabs open at once. Mostly as a coffee shop writing Spotify machine. I was planning on getting the Acer 13 (non spin) but at $650 I’m not into it :(. If only they had been $500 like they had originally said they would be priced. Will the pentium hold up with chrome for another few years you think?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Atomizer posted:

Check the 2nd post in the thread, I did a writeup about all the main HP 13 variants (note there's a base model with only a FHD display but I've never actually seen it for sale.) Keep in mind that was written with the Pentium model $80 higher in price, so I'd say go for it for $250. Nothing new at $250 is anywhere near as nice as the HP 13, and it's fine for your stated uses. The OS doesn't get more bloated with time, and they actually add features (such as the Android app support that this model now has. You'll like the display and keyboard, and even the touchpad is nice. The speakers are decent for a laptop, although you'd most likely want to use headphones for music.

Okay perfect thanks I think i will!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Where the hell are the new acer chrome books?! I want a 13 with the HD screen