Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I just fired up the Acer R11 I have around in case of some sort of computing emergency/backup is required and ran a system update. Having Android apps out of beta is pretty dang neat!

There’s a lot of buzz surrounding Chromebooks replacing Android tablets, which rules super hard in my opinion. I know it’s kinda tangential to the thread, but Android 3.0 Honeycomb kiiiiiinda sucked. Super hard. It fills in some of the offline gaps where Chromebooks can be weak, too.

Thanks for putting this thread together, Atomizer! Do you plan on keeping it more towards explicit hardware recommendations, or are news, updates, and things like that cool as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Thermopyle posted:

What does Android 3.0 have to do with anything?

Just that it was the tablet-specific flavor of Android. Chromebooks replacing Android tablets is a common discussion lately, and I think it's cool.

E: neat! A beta program to run Windows programs on Chrome:

https://www.androidcentral.com/crossover-chrome-os-lets-you-run-windows-apps-chromebooks

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 7, 2017

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Atomizer posted:

That looks like a malfunctioning stylus/digitizer/whatever.

I like his review, and he gets the convertible-compromise issue spot-on. Also, I noticed the same thing regarding the Chrome/Android shortcut duplication; when I was testing out whether or not you could cache video from streaming services (Plex, Netflix, YT, etc., and the answer by the way is "yes," to internal storage only,) I ended up not being able to differentiate which version was which, and ultimately uninstalled the Android versions (which were completely unnecessary, as the Web versions work fine.) Also, I have YT notifications turned on and I was getting duplicates, one each from the Web and Android apps.... :wtc:

Marques still falls for the fallacy of, "Why spend $ on A when you could spend the same on B?" WHAT IF I DON'T WANT B?!? gently caress B!!! Seriously, if I was in the market for a tablet maybe (but not really) I'd consider an iPad, Pro or otherwise. But if you're looking for something with a built-in keyboard then tablets are out. If I was interested in [another] CB, why would I side-step to a MacOS or Windows device? I don't care if they cost the same, I don't have any MacOS-specific applications, have no need for anything that runs on that OS, don't want to pay the Apple Tax, and anything that the device can do the CB can do at least as well. The same for the Surface or any other alternative Windows device: if ChromeOS does what you're looking for then why would you add complexity? I like never having to deal with complex system or driver updates (ChromeOS handles this in the background and usually requires only a quick reboot whenever you're ready) not to mention exploits/viruses/etc.

And all of that criticism doesn't get into the added functionality that CBs get from Android apps and potentially other software in the future with containers. Seriously, if you're in the market for a CB because they do everything you need, why the gently caress would you instead buy a Mac or Windows system?!?

Re: iPad Pro, I think the Pixelbook is for the same *kind* of consumer, just if they fall more on the development side vs creative side, I guess. I'm still learning my way around some of the software that I bought the iPad Pro for workflow-wise, but for sketching and some relatively simple 3D modeling, it's doing a real good job. It's a very narrow line, like one or two exclusive apps or mouse support, that separate a Pixelbook buyer from an iPad Pro buyer.

MKB also fails to note that for your grand, you get there keyboard included on the Pixelbook, and sometimes the smart keyboard is a little finicky on the iPad.

If I find myself with the money, I might pick up whatever Samsung comes up with to replace their current Chromebook Pro next year to compare more similar products.

Computers are cool! Sucks that MKB has a broken stylus.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Atomizer posted:

Samsung's going to upgrade the specs on the Pro to put it closer to the Pixelbook in terms of performance. The same is the plan for the Asus Flip C302.

When I compare a tablet to an actual laptop with a built-in keyboard, I'm referencing the fact that no keyboard cover/detachable keyboard setup with a kickstand for the tablet comes close to the usability of an actual laptop setup. So while tablets are better for consumption and I guess you can get some sketching or whatever done on the iPad Pro, I'm considering CBs to be in a separate category where text input is a priority. I type a lot (if that wasn't obvious) so a laptop setup (or even a desktop with a nice mechanical keyboard) is necessary. Not everyone has the same use case as me, of course.

Oh yeah, I wholeheartedly agree. For me typing is a secondary kind of function for the machine I needed. I'm still mastering the CAD applications, but I can see it getting really fast once I get a few things figured out.

If word processing functions outside of email composition, I probably would have gone to a nicer Chromebook. It doesn't seem like the CAD environment for Android and Chrome are quite as robust. Tinkercad is nice, but if I want to work offline, I couldn't find a solution for it.

I didn't realize the Flip was getting a spec upgrade, can't wait to see the update on that and the Samsung! The fact that the Samsung has a taller than 16:9 ratio is awesome, too.

hotsauce posted:

I had an iPad Pro 12.9" before the Pixelbook. It was neat-o and iOS 11 brought it ever so closer to being a device I could do everything on. One thing always bugged me...severely.

No mouse.

I know, that's not the spirit of iOS, etc, but without a mouse it became laborious and unpleasant to use for lengths of time, even with the pencil and keyboard. Having to reach up and tap for every navigation function is ridiculous.

I can definitely see things getting old for a lot of folks there. I do use the Apple pencil for some finer control stuff, but it's also $100 extra, so it's a bad point anyway.

It's super nice that there's something for everyone. I apologize for a semi derail. Hopefully it reads for genuine enthusiasm and comparison.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The China thing does have me wondering, I may take the Acer with me on my next trip to provide a...uhh... Trip report for the thread.

I mean, my Google Pixel on Project Phi works fine (Phine), so I imagine Chromebook functionality will have been worked out also?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Couldn't quite get PayPal Here card swiping to work on the Acer Flip, has anyone tried a similar thing on other models/payment processors?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Cheesemaster200 posted:

So I am continually torn between the Samsung Chromebook Pro and the Google Pixelbook.

Part of me wants the added computing power and backlit keyboard, but my rational half is saying I really don't need all of that for an extra $500. I also like the compactness of the Samsung. The pixelboox is bigger and have squared off corners, which makes it harder to quickly throw in a backpack or something. Similarly, I always liked the cheap cost of chromebooks given that I travel a lot with it, etc. If I lose it, it is not the end of the world compared to a $1500 Surface or something.

That being said, the Pixelbook is really nicely built, and has the horsepower. I have an older chromebook and I feel it gets laggy if I have 4-5 tabs open, especially if there are lots of video ads. I want to avoid that.

If it's not an immediate need, Samsung look to be updating the Pro. If you can wait a month, waiting for CES might be the way to go.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Looking to pick up a Chromebook Plus for my partner, they really like the Acer R11, the Rockchip processor is the only thing I'm a little nervous about and would be willing to contribute to a refurb Pro even though it's slightly out of budget.

Is the Chromebook Plus fine for daily use as a primary computer?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ahh yeah no Linux functionality required, the base functions of Chrome OS are totally fine for their use case.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Atomizer posted:

The CB Plus should be absolutely fine; you'd never even notice the CPU and the one it has is a pretty satisfactory hexa-core. What blunt & bull mentioned is absolutely true, but doesn't apply to everyone's use-case. Also, bull mentioned touchscreen issues, however while that wasn't an issue in my limited experience with the device the keyboard is more substantial; it's got a deep travel and/or short deck, so if you don't hit the keys dead-center then you end up hitting the deck with your fingers. Again, YMMV but it might be prudent to test one out at a retail store to see if this bothers your partner at all.

Also, if you keep an eye on woot.com they often get in a handful of refurbished Samsung Plus & Pros at substantial discounts (i.e. the former for $350, the latter $400, although I believe they were even cheaper more recently but sold out before I got a chance to post here.)

Thanks! Yeah, Woot hasn't had any when I checked the last week or so, but refurbs come up in a bunch of places.

We'll definitely be on the lookout for touchscreen and keyboard issues. I haven't seen those in reviews, so that's interesting.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Noted! Thanks again everyone. Hopefully they'll be real pleased.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

LastInLine posted:

Should I run my new Pixelbook on the beta channel or stable?

Is it your daily driver?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Chromebook Pro 64GB on sale at Best Buy for $474

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...vMB_AR5oxu7X1Ng

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

politicorific posted:

How much are they going for? I’m Out of the country and don’t see anything posted on the regular deal sites.

Also curious.

HP have announced a higher end Chromebook as well - with a detachable keyboard and another sweet, sweet 12" 2400*1600 screen:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/4/9/17208064/hp-chromebook-x2-chrome-os-tablet-detachable-keyboard-stylus

Starts at $599 with 4GB of RAM and an m3 processor and you can get up to 8GB as well.

Due sometime in June.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Samsung Chromebook Pro got refreshed with a backlit keyboard!

https://search.app.goo.gl/yHYNx

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That appears to be the case, but I don’t think MSRP changed, so good get still?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

As long as you're comfortable with Chrome OS (i.e. working just off a browser), it's one of the better ones out there, certainly at its price point.

Woot sales get pretty frequently recommended, so I wouldn't be overly apprehensive.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Re: Pixel Slate chat

Brydge make some stellar 3rd party keyboards - the one on my iPad Pro more or less brings it to nice laptop typing status. They're making one for the P Slate which charges over USB C, so it's all on the same charger. iPad Pro keyboard lasted several weeks to a month in my use, so it's all pretty dang good stuff.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

everythingWasBees posted:

So I work from home, and have all the software and repositories and whatnot configured on my desktop. Everything works great and I have no issues, but as it's a desktop, if I'm working late I'm confined to my office and can't spend time with my partner. Is there a good Chromebook just for remoting use? Everything seems to be weighing how nice the touchscreen is and such but I'm literally just using the thing to remote so I only care about the screen, keyboard, and battery life.

Is chrome remote desktop suitable for your needs? If so, any of them and I guess screen and keyboard would be my primary things to look at.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm also very interested in how the Duet shakes out. I'm a little cautious about the MediaTek processor, but I could use a couch companion.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

After poking around, it looks like the HP x2 Chromebook might be my best bet for lightweight computing, web browsing, and doodling.

Has anyone tried running Steam Link on Chromebooks? I wasn't able to get it going on my five year old Acer R11 which is entirely unsurprising.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Thanks! That's very informative.

One of the big reasons I'm looking at the x2 over the Slate is budgetary. Refurb units all in are $350-400 with all the accessories, and I'm not sure if stretching to a Slate is really going to get me more that I want.

The Duet does look interesting, but I'm planning on doing a bunch of browser based CAD and some doodling. A smaller screen (despite double the pixels) I don't think is going to be as conducive to the CAD element as the x2.

The extra 2 years of support aren't a deal breaker - this is more of a toy/casual use machine and 4 years from today is still better support than any computer I've had before.

If there are other tablet form factor things I'm missing, please do let me know, though!

e: Pixel Slate is back on Best Buy all in for $499 brand new. If it's still there in a it two, I might snap it up instead.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 12, 2020

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

UncleGuito posted:

Got my Duet earlier today after a delay with my BB preorder. Initial impressions are fantastic- can't believe this thing is < $300! The build quality is fantastic and performance is better than expected.

But I mostly wanted to cover how Stadia plays, as well as Linux performance for those devs out there:

-Stadia: runs as well as it does on my gaming desktop and TV- no noticeable difference! The screen is colorful and crisp. The browser interface loads quick and controller pairing ran into no issues.
- Here's a pic of the device running Destiny 2: https://i.imgur.com/ktvCm55.jpg
- Here's a video: https://imgur.com/zzg9VB3
- Highly recommend this as a portable Stadia device if you can find one!

Linux: installed quickly and haven't run into any issues with terminal so far. I got this mainly to use as a portable python dev station while traveling and it seems like it'll fill that void. The keyboard will probably take a little to get used to (as others have said, the symbol keys are smaller so easier to miss) and the trackpad seems a bit thin, but overall, performance seems the same as other Chromebooks I've used.

tldr; I'm very impressed with this device. Seems like a steal and no-brainer at its current pricepoint.

If you get a chance to check out OnShape, a browser based CAD system I'm so drat interested in how that works.

Really, 3D performance in general. I'd love if some of my cohorts I volunteer with could do 3D modeling on a Chromebook. It's a passion project.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Insanely good info

Thanks again for this, I pulled the trigger on the Slate today to treat myself a little. With Krita coming out for Android/ChromeOS and actively resenting both my mobile workstation and R11, I thought it was time.

Really psyched to see how it goes and play around with Crostini.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The slate and keyboard arrived today! The only thing I'm missing from the bundle is the stylus.

So far, it has been very good. The speakers can get a little peaky, but I remember my iPad Pro being peaky at first and then breaking in over the course of the week, I'll send a trip report for later on.

My 3D modeling software is working great. It's by Dassault Systemes who make SOLIDWORKS, this one just lives in the browser. Seems to be holding up alright while messing with it trying to make it break.

Krita getting released for Android was a surprise and I am REALLY enjoying how it's going. It worked a lot better than the version I downloaded right off the terminal, so that has me really excited for when the stylus comes in. Hopefully it'll have pressure sensitivity and all those other fun things.

I picked up Inkscape (sadly not the 1.0 version since I didn't get Crostini to upgrade to Debian Buster). That is also going very well!

Getting Steam Link to run has been a pretty bad experience so far, but it sounds like it's better suited to ARM devices. Never really got past the launch screen for any games.

All in, though, it's been very good. I'm still rather curious about the Duet, but honestly this is pretty rad. I might snag a Brydge Type G next time they're on sale - it was a godsend for my iPad Pro when I had it. My Logitech MX Master paired up great, and it's bananas seeing things like "8 hours remaining" for battery life after hauling around engineering boat anchors the last few years.

If anyone knows how to get Crostini to upgrade to Buster, that would be nice just to have the latest and greatest on that front. I'm really 'gized to keep playing with this and make some neat things!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I got a Monoprice USB-C hub for my Pixel Slate, and it wasn't work unless it's plugged into mains power, but even then it's supposed to pass power to the Slate, but doesn't.

Is there a compatibility thing anyone knows about or is this just a dud?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Thanks! That's a bummer. I truly hate returning things by mail.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

angryrobots posted:

I have been tasked with getting a laptop for my daughter entering the 7th grade. It's looking like we're doing a web based homeschool program because of Covid (with some close acquaintances who live nearby and also have kids so they're not completely isolated, but anyway).

We're all Android here, I haven't had a Windows machine in forever. Should I get a Chromebook? If so, tell me what to get. Obviously cheaper is better but definitely under $500 which looks reasonable.

Are there any specific software or hardware requirements posted by the homeschool programs? You'll definitely get a much higher quality device for your money going with ChromeOS over Windows, but it doesn't mean much if you can't use anything :v:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hadlock posted:

I would get a lenovo/dell/hp branded dock, it is more likely to be standards compliant as it has to function in a business environment and they're actually responsible for support/returns etc. It's cheaper to make it the Right Way the First Time. This one is $50

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Laptop-Charging-Reader-GX90T77924/dp/B07TZ3PQDN/

This one is $135 but includes a 65w power adapter built in (for max compatibility)

https://www.amazon.com/USB-C-Mini-Dock-Adapter-40AU0065US/

This is closest to what I have, and you can use a 6' cable to hide the dongle in a drawer in your desk, rather than have a 6" lovely dongle and all your cables flapping about on your desk making a disaster of everything $165

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-USB-C-40AS0090-Warranty/

$165 seems like a lot of money for a usb dock, but given that it's going to be compatible with USB4 coming out this fall, gives you 3-4 years, minimum, compatibility down the road with your next laptop(s). So far I have 2 years on mine and am not in any hurry to replace it.

Thanks, I'll take a look! Do you know off the top of your head if any of them bus powered? This is really to get files to 3D printers, CNC machines, and so on.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Is anyone with a Duet able to confirm if you can get Linux apps working on it? I've got to launch AppImages from a Linux file browser (dolphin) but once launched they work great.

Just trying to see if I can recommend it for some browser based CAD + 3D printing. PrusaSlicer is the specific AppImage.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oh cool! Yeah, I really just want to see if it can slice with that in any app format I guess. I hadn't even thought it might be packaged differently for ARM.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm gonna need a link to that printer because I loving despise mine.

Every time Windows updates, I need to re-patch network printing :shepface:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Anyone have a handle on picking up a Brydge G-Type? I've been desperate for one and I can only find it on their UK site, but it won't ship stateside.

E: they're unlisted, but if you chat Brydge they'll sell you one via chat lmao

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 15, 2020

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I've been really enjoying my Pixel Slate. I managed to get a refurb Brydge G-Type.

That said, having owned an iPad Pro in the past, I'm likely to go with the Air in a few years when this guy's usefulness has waned.

I do some 3D modeling and 3D printing work on it, and it's been quite good, though, so not really anything to complain about besides some niggles with the keyboard going into sleep mode faster than I expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Can you turn off number lock?