Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Thank you for making this thread I plan on hanging out here a lot while I figure out which chromebook that i don't need but definitely want

and also probably after i've figured that out

and also I was looking @ the new pixel CB last night and I have to say it is....ugly

E: there should be an indication which models use the correct charging port imo

e2: how much difference would i notice between the M3 and the M5 on the asus c302 in ChromeOS? in ubuntu?

Worf fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Oct 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

chrome to butthead

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

The majority of them at any price range have micro-sd slots

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

incoherent posted:

4,000 deployment in 1 year with a 15% failure rate is pretty spectacular.

please don't bring your xbox hate into my chromebook thread!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Atomizer posted:

Samsung's going to upgrade the specs on the Pro to put it closer to the Pixelbook in terms of performance. The same is the plan for the Asus Flip C302.

Do we have even a rough timeframe on this? Where do you read about this stuff?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

MrNemo posted:

Ok well that sounds like it's not that much worse than another laptop. Any suggestions on small firm chrome books with good build quality then? I'd be tempted with a Macbook Air but I really don't want to get into the Apple ecosystem. Chromebooks all look somewhat bulky but is that just design?

C302ca is light and also good. Despite the xps13 im ordering next week theres a nonzero chance ill own that chromebook soon too

I have...a problem

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

That one is just the regular designation sans processor suffix. Ill probably grab the m3 version though id like to try it first. As long as its snappy for like 15 tabs thats all i care about

E: tho with that piece i have no problem waiting a bit if theyre likely to release a newer one soonish

Worf fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Nov 16, 2017

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

if i were choosing between that one and the other one i just recommended i would pick the C302ca

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I see the Samsung is pictured with a stylus. Does this have that capability? I'm not familiar with what kind of touch screens these things use.

edit: Can't go wrong with a processor that fast I guess

it wouldn't have similar stylus support to the samsung, no, but it wasn't a consideration for me and you didn't mention it either so if it's not a big deal i'd still go with the c302ca

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I should say that the biggest reasons I prefer the c302ca to the samsung(s) is that the battery life is reportedly considerably better, and I actually do a ton of side by side multitasking so 16:9 is actually a much better aspect ratio for me. The 64gb storage of the c302ca doesn't hurt either considering I also wanted something to throw ubuntu onto potentially just to play around.

I really doubt your daughter gives a poop about literally any of that, tho if shes gonna be netflixin' on it then 16:9 is prolly better for her

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Between the Samsung Pro and the c302ca which is generally considered to have the better build quality? c302ca?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Resolution, 2,400 x 1,600 (235 ppi), 1,920 x 1,080 (176 ppi)

chromebook pro vs c302ca

pretty significant PPI difference there tbh. it will be noticeable but the 302 still will look nice.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Cheesemaster200 posted:

So I am continually torn between the Samsung Chromebook Pro and the Google Pixelbook.

Part of me wants the added computing power and backlit keyboard, but my rational half is saying I really don't need all of that for an extra $500. I also like the compactness of the Samsung. The pixelboox is bigger and have squared off corners, which makes it harder to quickly throw in a backpack or something. Similarly, I always liked the cheap cost of chromebooks given that I travel a lot with it, etc. If I lose it, it is not the end of the world compared to a $1500 Surface or something.

That being said, the Pixelbook is really nicely built, and has the horsepower. I have an older chromebook and I feel it gets laggy if I have 4-5 tabs open, especially if there are lots of video ads. I want to avoid that.

Have you considered an m5 c302

Or an xps 13

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

its amazing that theres a conflict with googles OS and googles video service

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

The only reason I would get an android tablet is the form factor.

Chromebook would be superior in this case. C302ca would be a good place to start. Hell, maybe even throw ubuntu on it if he's familiar with that OS

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Pretty sure CRD works on chromebooks now tho so he could remote in and voila

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If a person can't use a web browser in 2017 they probably don't need anything beyond a type writer and calculator. ChromeOS is fine for people that barely know wtf

iOS is too but pretty much for the same reasons as ChromeOS

E: also re google support for ChromeOS:::: theyre trending to support it more than they ever have before, i expect to see tablet form factor chromeos supplant android, as but one example

Worf fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 16, 2017

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Tunga posted:

Saying that ChromeOS is bad for a computer illiterate person and that they should use Windows instead makes absolutely no sense to me. My dad is clueless and I got him a Chromebook when I moved out so I wouldn't have to go round and fix it all the time. He loves it and uses it every day. Never had a virus or other malware, never had a problem, it just works. I think ChromeOS is hands down the best option for a beginner.

youre the only one mentioning windows i think

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Atomizer posted:

I was at the Google Store, had the i7 Pixelbook in my cart, and I couldn't pull the trigger. I want and am sure I'd love one, but can't justify the cost considering every other CB I have.

I wish I could get in touch with someone from Google who could get me a "review" Pixelbook, considering how much CB advocacy I've done for them over the past few years. :sigh:

Buy it. If its everything you want it to be, keep it and sell off the model(s) it will replace. If it doesn't fill the niche you need it to, sell the Pixelbook and recoup most of the cost.

Eat that cake

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Viper_3000 posted:

So I'm looking to replace my 2015 MBP with a chromebook of some sort. The c302 and the HP listed on woot (in the OP) are the top contenders especially considering I haven't seen anything coming out of CES that looks like it would compete. I guess what I'm looking for is advice/comparison on build quality, the trackpad, and the screen, since I've grown accustomed to all of those things being pretty top notch on an Apple device. I know that the Pixelbook has probably the best trackpad outside of Apple devices that I've put my fingers on, but how do the 302 and the HP compare? Obviously the 302 copped a lot of design cues from Apple, how does the HP compare to that? Screen wise it looks like the HP wins out handily...

I'm also tempted to just say gently caress it and pick up a base model Pixelbook, but I can't really pull the trigger knowing they were $100 cheaper a few weeks ago.

If it was my $430 it would be really hard for me to justify spending it on anything besides the m5/8gb HP. The c302 is a dope rear end machine though.

quote:

I'm also tempted to just say gently caress it and pick up a base model Pixelbook, but I can't really pull the trigger knowing they were $100 cheaper a few weeks ago.

be happy you arent looking at desktop video cards then lol

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I found it by typing "woot retu" tab, then enter

How do I return a damaged or defective product?

quote:

If the item you purchased is damaged or defective and was purchased within the past 30 days, please go to our Support page to report the issue. Please include the order number, a description of the item you would like to return, and a detailed explanation of the problem. If it’s damaged or defective, we will provide you with a return authorization. If we still have the same item in-stock, we will provide you with an exchange of the same item. If a replacement has been issued and you do not return the original item within the 30 days as stated in the return authorization, you will be charged for the replacement item. You may be required to return your defective item to Woot before an exchange or refund is issued. In the event the item being returned to Woot is NOT found to be damaged or defective, you may be assessed a 15% restocking fee and the original shipping charge will not be refunded.

https://www.woot.com/faq

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

silence_kit posted:

Chromebooks still are sort of half-baked consumer products and are really only compelling due to their lower prices when compared to Windows laptops and MacBooks.

have you considered not posting in this thread

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

quote:

Chromebooks still are sort of half-baked consumer products and are really only compelling due to their lower prices when compared to Windows laptops and MacBooks.

sure yeah you're the perfect candidate to be posting in here

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I just wish there were devices besides a chromebook i could run android apps on!!!!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

silence_kit posted:

I'm not going to comb through every post you made in this thread to point out how your posts are filled with advertising copy for Google, but in recent history when I pointed out issues I've noticed with my own Chromebook, you have immediately responded in a defensive way with some pretty stupid stuff. Chromebooks are consumer electronics products, not your firstborn son, or your Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

I pointed out that the Network File Share client is a piece of crap which crashes after you try to maintain a network drive connection for more than 5 minutes. Your response: "Who would ever want to connect their computer to a network drive? You don't need that feature anyway, use Google Drive [and pay Google for a monthly subscription for hard drive space I already have and don't need]."

I pointed out that while the Chrome Remote Desktop works well most of the time, it doesn't transmit Alt + Backspace = 'delete' key presses, which is pretty annoying if you want to remote into a real computer, input a lot of text, and make corrections. Your response: "Who would ever want to use the delete command? Well, if in the off chance you would ever want to do something so weird like use the 'delete' key, you should always connect an external keyboard to your Chromebook (a portable device which comes with a keyboard). You are holding it wrong."

When you brought up the Night Mode feature, I asked you if they fixed the functionality--when I tried it a couple of months ago it was broken. You could set the timer which automatically turns the yellow filter on and off, but the computer doesn't actually use the programmable time to turn the yellow filter on and off. Your response: "not a big deal, reasonable computer users, not weird ones like you, only use their computers at night, so it is no big deal that the yellow filter stays on when you don't want it to."

Now you are backtracking on all of the rosy stuff you wrote about Android on ChromeOS earlier in the thread and in this forum, and now are saying that I was totally unreasonable for having an expectation of basic functionality for Android on ChromeOS and for believing your earlier posts! A huge reason why I decided to get a Chromebook was that I read your and others positive reviews/comments on Chromebooks and their Android functionality in this thread and forum!

All of the above things point to Chromebooks being half-baked consumer products--I'm not being misleading at all--these are issues that only exist because Google decided to release features for their products in an unfinished state.

if i got a chromebook the first thing i would do is probably throw linux on it

so obviously im not sold on chromeos by any means

i stll think you're posting in the wrong thread lol. you can't grasp why calling something 'half baked, only worth it to save money' would seem to put you at odds with commenting on something that millions of people use as intended with no problems. cool, maybe he should add a quote re: your networking and android stuff in the OP but i question how connected you are to reality if you think that the literal only reason to grab a chromebook is price point. part of the reason i grabbed an xps 13 was because some of the chromebook solutions i was eyeing were, lol, so similar in price that i figured eff it

the amount of people that 'walk into' the laptop thread and 'walk out' with a chromebook is not insignificant when they realize that the features they require work all under a chromebook

also double lol to this:

quote:

these are issues that only exist because Google decided to release features for their products in an unfinished state

thank goodness this never happens in any other personal computing product line ever

Worf fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 23, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Well now we just have nothing to talk about

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i had to return my motorcycle because i could only use it to reliably commute to work every day but when i tried to bring my sons soccer team to a game it wouldnt work? i think they should have probably tested the design more before release

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Papa John Misty posted:

:lolplant: : I have strong opinions on consumer electronics and need to argue over them on the internet

I take it you thought this was the subforum dedicated to various bowel movements

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

ChromeOS tablet from acer announced :getin:

Although I did just grab that z3s 10 inch tab from asus. Its a pretty good general purpose device so far. I got a bt keyboard folio thing with it and tried it with a bt mouse i had kickin around. Made me want a ChromeOS tab pretty bad

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i guess you could say his use of the car analogy was rather.....pedestrian

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Do those linux distros for the raspberry pi work on the ARM chromebooks at all

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

*i slowly unbutton ur RAM hatch*

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

lelandjs posted:

Not at all productivity apps but oh my goodness Dosbox Turbo works perfectly on my R11. DOOM!

But, more importantly, installing Steam via a Ubuntu Crouton meant that I could see if Portal works.

It does. There are some framerate hitches, but it actually goddamn runs.

[Edit: IT CAN PLAY PORTAL 2. Why has Steam not partnered with Google with a special Chromebook version of Steam? One that checks to see if the hardware can reasonably run games so you don't get fools trying to install, I dunno, Bioshock Infinite...

Actually I gotta find an SD card so I can see if Bioshock Infinite can run.]

i wonder if heroes of might and magic 3 would run on one..

E: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ubisoft.mightandmagic.heroesiii&hl=en

:stare:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

What other products have they done that to

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/kami-pdf-and-document-mar/ecnphlgnajanjnkcmbpancdjoidceilk?hl=en

Try this?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

$600 for 4gb ram irritates me tbh

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Good find- I'm checking out those specs and uh, is that literally the only thing that they changed?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

NewFatMike posted:

That appears to be the case, but I don’t think MSRP changed, so good get still?

Huh, I don't remember but I thought it was less than $600 before. Thats totally just going by memory though. I haven't really kept up on them much since electing to go with a different model entirely

I'm probably conflating that with the price of refurbs or the plus or something

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

https://www.adorama.com/as302cadh75g.html?utm_source=rflaid913004

quote:

Asus C302CA-DH75-G Chromebook Flip 12.5" Full HD Touchscreen Notebook Computer, Intel Core m7-6Y75 1.20GHz, 16GB RAM, 64GB eMMC, Chrome OS

that is a pretty beautiful machine probably. but at $929 it seems pretty stupid to grab that over the base pixelbook with the significantly better screen?

i'm just speaking conversationally, with the xps 13 either would be pretty redundant for me :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

is the linux stuff coming to chromeOS basically in laymans terms

"chromebooks will be able to do (most) everything (ish) that linux can do"?