Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Just curious but would you be open to plugging in a separate keyboard? Thinkpad does sell a version of their keyboards separately that you can use over USB. Not sure if there's a wireless version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
Is it easy to swap the OS on a chromebook to something else? I'd be tempted to try out Ubuntu on that.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018

cruft posted:

strong username/post energy here

darn it, I'm never escaping this username.

Manky posted:

Support varies depending on your model, you'll want to check the master list and read the caveats carefully. As for how easy it is, I thought it was pretty easy to do on my lenovo n22, but I've also unfortunately been installing linux on things for a while ;)

Speaking of, I've had reason to resurrect this n22, originally purchased refurbished in Jan 2017 and well-loved in the intervening time. The case has broken apart pretty significantly, and I have to use a USB antenna if I want wifi, but dammit it's hanging in there with the latest xubuntu minimal. Though I desperately wish the storage were upgradable.

Ah thank you for the response! I guess it may not be worth it yet to buy a Samsung chromebook just to put Linux on it, even if I think the chromebook is pretty as hell.

Or at least if I can tell if chromebooks can take decent classroom notes even without an internet connection.

Godspeed, n22. o7

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
Linux on a chromebook appeals to me because I like the idea of being able to keep using my laptop even after it starts to be outdated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA5EsBtNXAk

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018

:ok:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
Sorry, thought you were being sarcastic... :(