Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have an original, first model Samsung Chromebook that is still chugging along, I keep it stashed beside the couch for whenever I need a full keyboard out there. My primary PC is a fairly old Lenovo laptop that I've had to replace the hdd to keep it running but it's starting giving me a lot of issues. I don't game and all I really need a laptop for is web browsing, media streaming to the tv and typing up the occasional document which I already use Drive exclusively.

What's the best bang for the buck CB on the market with the largest screen? Can I use USB printers with a CB, I seem to remember this being an issue at one point? Can I stream media from the CB to a Chromecast with the Videostream app?

Edit: Perhaps a Chromebox and a large monitor is a better bet for me?

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Dec 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've switched exclusively to Drive. It's just too handy to log into any machine anywhere and have access to my files.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This one seems to be beloved by the tech site reviewers, any input Atomizer?

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Chromeb...ag=chrome09d-20

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I saw this one in a YT review the other day

Poin2 LT0301-01US Chromebook Touch FHD IPS Touchscreen Laptop with 180 Degree Hinge, 4GB RAM, 32GB eMMC, Quad Core, 14"
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073SGMMWF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_624SCbCJ73QB8

Pretty tempted to get it myself but I'm holding out for one of the new Asus 15 inchers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My old Samsung CB has an SD slot but the card sticks out 1/3 of the way when inserted (as designed). Has that changed? I tossed it in a backpack and snapped the card reader in half once.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Got it. I figured it was a dumb design choice. I have a 128gig card here, I should buy a new CB to put it in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm hoping for a Prime Day deal on the C434. Unlikely but I'll pull the trigger if they do a price break.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Atomizer posted:

I stopped adding specific models because they've rapidly expanded in number (beyond my ability to keep track of them all nowadays) and they're all nearly functionally identical. Plus, CBs are basically either the really cheap, low-end ones that aren't worth using (e.g. insufficient RAM, etc.) or beyond that they're all at least good enough, with more features available (e.g. touchscreen) depending on your budget. Just keep my recommendations in mind (4+ GB RAM, 4-core CPU, and then note the display aspect ratio of your preference while making sure the resolution is appropriate for the display size.)

So if you're looking for a decent midrange recommendation (~$400-500) the current version of the ~12" Asus Flip is always well-liked, and the Pixelbook is even nicer if your budget is higher (they're also available cheaper as refurb'd, especially on eBay.) Beyond that I'd suggest looking at the latest reviews on Chrome Unboxed, and there's even apparently a discount on the Asus Flip I mentioned, the C434.

I haven't used G-suite but it may be your only option for full management. You might also be able to sign into it with an account as the owner, then add the family member's account as secondary; the latter I believe has more restrictions, although honestly I don't think your relative would be able to do too much damage to the CB anyway.

Are the USB C ports on the c434 display port compatible? The only thing this CB lacks is a hdmi out port.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I will do that, thanks!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Looks like the C434 can indeed do hdmi through USB-C. But while reading up on it there are numerous mentions of the Acer 315 being a good budget option. Any thoughts on that device?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

15" screen with a 768p resolution and a dual core CPU? No thanks.

Yuck, I swore it had the same screen resolution as the Asus. Nevermind.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've no real need for a touchscreen or convertible I guess. I also saw this one, the C425 which appears to be a clamshell version of the C434?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VT254P6/?coliid=I3DINNA90LEFY6&colid=1SBRL8QFZ9X4E&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

While I wish it had a 15" screen I think this might be the better option for me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The really nice ASUS C425 is down to $380 and has been as low as $320 this week. I bought one but it wouldn't retain a charge so I returned it and am pondering if I want to buy another.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VT254P6?pf_rd_p=ab873d20-a0ca-439b-ac45-cd78f07a84d8&pf_rd_r=MCJXNQ3R2TVPG4PEB7X4

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

It's down to $330 right now, and even though I just spent about that much on an HP x360 I'm curious as to how the two compare.

On that I am no help. I will probably grab another one after the holidays.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I never got around to buying another C425 to replace the one that wouldn't hold a charge. I'm about to start traveling a bit and I want a solid CB to use as a daily/travel machine. What's the current thread darling that can do all the basics with ease? Meaning streaming, video calls etc.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The C433 i bought that just passed the return window at amazon is on sale at Best Buy for $179 and I'm so enamored with this thing I'm tempted to pick up another one at that price.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-2...8&skuId=6512628

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm glad I posted that link then.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, I think I will get another one. I'm lazy enough that it'll just be easier to have one in each place I spend most of my time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Best Buy has the C425 for $120. Only 4gb ram but it's a solid unit, i only returned mine because it wouldn't hold a charge.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-14-chromebook-intel-core-m3-8100y-4gb-memory-64gb-emmc-silver/6513085.p?skuId=6513085

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Now that you mention it, mine had 8gb. It says in stock locally so I think i'll grab one. The C433 has become my go to machine, my windows laptop is pretty much used to run Cura for my printers now.

Anyone successfully running cura on a CB?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
might have to mess around with it.

can confirm 8gb model is what i received at BB.