Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is $130 too much for a lightly-used R11?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Atomizer posted:

No, that's perfect, they still go for and are worth $200+.

I went to pick up the R11 from a dude and we ended up shooting the poo poo for so long about troubleshooting games in DOS in the 90s and how we spent the early years of our media consumption dreaming of something like the Chromecast that he ended up giving it to me for a hundo so I'm loving stoked.

As someone who knows Literally Nothing about Linux besides the time I've spent loving around with a Raspberry Pi, I'm having a hard time parsing the new stuff about Linux. Will it extend to older Chromebooks like the one I just got? Should I even bother with Crouton now if I'm not in any hurry, or should I wait and see how this all ends up panning out?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
In the time between posting that and then seeing these replies I went ahead and installed Crouton anyway lol

It was so easy to do, if the support that comes down the line ends up being better it's not like I'll feel like I put a ton of work in for nothing

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Do home printer/scanners have scan to email? Our work ones do but I dunno if that is an enterprise model thing.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

asecondduck posted:

So after not touching it for awhile I pulled out my Acer R11 and wow, things have progressed notably. I was able to get Studio One 2 (a digital audio workstation) running on it with Crossover with... okay, a decent amount of trouble, but it worked. Apple Music is now installable natively from the Play Store, and Linux is now officially supported, so I have GIMP, Audacity, and Apple Music running with minimal effort and no developer mode.

Of course, it's not a terribly fast device (though Chrome OS is almost unbelievably fast given the specs) and the screen is an unfortunate size/resolution... so I'm considering getting a refurb Pixelbook to replace it. However, the R11's keyboard is, in my opinion, one of the best keyboards I've ever used. Has anyone used the R11 and Pixelbook and can compare the keyboards? I know everyone says the Pixelbook has a great keyboard but seriously I love the R11's.

Just piggybacking on this post to say I still really love my r11. If they made the exact same thing over and over again but just made it 1080p and gave it a current processor I'd probably just keep buying them every few years

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Does anybody have a Lenovo Duet coming? I've been using an Acer R11 forever and the Duet looks cool for my use case (half dicking around on the couch computer, half comic book reader) but with that processor I can't tell if it's basically a lateral move.

Edit: oops, sorry, didn't notice someone asking basically the same question at the top of the page

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

UncleGuito posted:

Also got one preordered from BB to test out. Hoping its processor holds up though - it seems like the perfect combo for me (mostly couch surfing in tablet + occasional ptyon dev stuff while travling w/ Linux).

I got a Slate last year but the thing was just way too big to comfortably use as a tablet.

I missed the BB preorder which is probably a blessing because I don't really NEED a new device, but I'll definitely be interested to hear your take on it once it comes in!

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

abraham linksys posted:

i've been thinking about getting some kind of low-cost tablet or convertable to use as a second media screen in my room (where there's no room for a tv), as a timer and recipe reference in the kitchen, and something to draw and maybe take notes on every now and then. i should probably just get an ipad, but i feel obliged to at least look into this thing because it seems neat (and i'm also real mad that i missed the big ipad sale last weekend).

what's the doodling situation like on chromebooks like the duet? am i right in guessing that the styluses are not as nice as the apple pencil, and the drawing apps aren't as good?

I think the only USI stylus that exists right now is the HP one, you could probably poke around reddit (god forbid) and see if someone has talked about using it with the Duet. Lenovo supposedly has a compatible stylus coming someday.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I use Chrome Remote Desktop with a Lenovo Duet to control a PC that's also hooked up to a 1080p monitor and it works perfectly if you have a keyboard and trackpad/mouse. Touchscreen control is pretty dodgy though.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
This might be the wrong thread for this but has anyone had any luck with Moonlight on a Chromebook? I tried both the Play Store app and the Chrome extension on a Lenovo Duet. The Play Store app works but the latency is bad, and I can't get the Chrome extension to work at all, I just get audio and a black screen.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Has anyone tried a USI stylus on the Duet? The advent of Cursive has me mildly interested in it but I don't want to drop the money on a stylus if it's just going to be annoying. I also don't know if every USI stylus of dubious provenance on Amazon is fine, or if I need to drop the dough on, say, the HP one (I've heard the Lenovo one is kind of crummy).

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Perfect Viewer on the Play Store has been good for me on my Duet, other than trying to view comics from a LAN folder doesn't work great. If they're stored locally it's great.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is anyone else having trouble accessing the play store and Android apps on their Chromebook? I have an original Duet and all of a sudden I can't use any of the android stuff, and when I tried to disable and re-enable the play store it errors out with either error code 7 or 8. I've also tried powerwashing and moving to the stable channel and then powerwashing again, no joy.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Sorry, lost track of this for a couple of days! I was able to install the Linux VM just fine, so it seems to be something going on with Android specifically. I will open a case there when I get a chance!

In the meantime, the only thing I really use the Duet for anymore is Google Docs and Comicat. Is there any half decent ChromeOS CBR reader (or I guess one for Crostini that's touchscreen friendly)?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Is there any tools out there for Chromebooks that let me see what's using all my memory? I've got a 4GB Lenovo brand Chromebook and I've barely had it a year it feels like everything just chugs. I literally only use it to have a couple Google docs open for when I run RPGs and it still feels like it sucks at that task.

Do you have Android and/or Linux enabled?

On a 4gb Chromebook you basically have to disable the Android VM for it to be usable these days.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Any tips for how to do this? I'm having trouble actually finding a guide for this

I think under settings you're looking for a setting to disable the Play Store. Keep in mind this will remove all your existing Android apps so if there's anything you use regularly I wouldn't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

DarkAvenger211 posted:

disabling the play store gave me back a whole GB so it's definitely feeling a bit lighter now.

I never used any apps on this anyway.

It's nuts, I have a Lenovo Duet and it worked perfectly fine before they switched the Android environment to arcvm or whatever it is now. They keep touting how long the support tail is on these devices but it feels disingenuous when they make software changes that make them nearly unusable. It's my fault I guess for using a device with 4gb of RAM but in my defense it worked great when I bought it!