Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
Guys I got the New Chromebook Flip ASUS on Atomizer's recommendation.

I had the previous model, and loved it. Only problem I dropped and broke it. Now this one is way faster, just as light, only like 50 bucks more and amazing. It is less than 2 pounds, touch screen, full flip to tablet mode, great keyboard. The keyboard is small, but actually my favorite keyboard to type on. It's perfectly sized.

Anyway thanks to Atomizer for all the help and the new chromebook thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
Hey Atomizer do you know if ASUS is going to release an upgrade to the c101 flip? I've been using it since my last one (c100) broke and love it. But it is maybe a little slower now. It's basically my every day, do everything computer, tablet, device.

Or do you know anything about the slightly bigger versions of their flip chromebooks?

In your original post I just reread you say the keyboard is cramped, ad that may be true. But I actually prefer typing on it now over other larger keyboards, especially say a macbook keyboard for example.

Doctor Party fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 23, 2018

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
Is there a better low cost flip chrome book like this one? Or a newer version? The one I am referencing below is the Asus c101 flip.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075KFFMZS/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_i_djM.DbAS55RTC

I have this one and its great but was gonna get one for a relative and haven't kept up with upgrades.

Or is there a different alternative that's better now?

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
Any thoughts on the flex 5 from Lenovo? Or recommendations for a similar price convertible?

I need something light I can carry around at work with screen open, type notes and view some images. Battery life is a plus but can be charged intermittently throughout the day.

Lenovo Chromebook Flex 5 13" Laptop, FHD (1920 x 1080) Touch Display, Intel Core i3-10110U Processor, 4GB DDR4 Onboard RAM, 64GB eMMC, Intel Integrated Graphics, Chrome OS, 82B80006UX, Graphite Grey https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086383HC7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_1SARY1VFXF6RN29RVHBJ

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
OK thanks for checking it out. Yeah I don't see a 8gb version. I have an older Asus flip and its great. But it's sort of to small for work. And now it's also a little slow at times.

Doctor Party fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!

Atomizer posted:

Yeah I think I remember that you got the very first Flip, the C100. 10" display and ARM CPU. The recent Flip models have Intel CPUs and 12-14" displays; they're much more capable devices. Prices may be inflated due to the semiconductor shortage situation, however. There are also alternatives from Acer, HP, and others; basically, they're all fine options as long as they meet those minimum hardware requirements (which, again, are a decent CPU, 4-8 GB of RAM, and an appropriate resolution for the display size.)

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. And yeah I actually got the first flip and then I guess the second generation one. I only replaced it because the screen broke after being dropped really hard. I've had the second generation one for a few years. It's a great little computer for goofing around online, writing a few emails etc.

I brought it to work though, because my work supplied work laptop broke, and it couldn't really keep up. Plus it's so small for that use.

Anyway yeah I am looking at the newer Asus flips and the Lenovo flex five. I did find a flex five with 8gb ram. Anyway thanks, great thread!