Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
CrossOver has a beta for Chrome OS that is actually an Android app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.codeweavers.cxoffice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
There is Asus C423NA 1080p model in the ~$200-250 range that looks decent. C423NA-WB04 and Walmart appears to have it on sale for $199.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

ItBreathes posted:

Google suggests holding refresh and hitting power will do it.

Just tried that and it works on my Chromebook. Although beware that when I logged back in it asked me to restore my last session, so it might not be a graceful shutdown.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
You can set a PIN on an unmanaged device. No clue what school managed devices let you do.

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/2587994?hl=en

Edit: Might only be for unlocking.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
You can pair your phone and set it to unlock. And then turn on allowing it to log in.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I have an Asus C434 I'm not looking to replace, but the Duet does seem interesting for reading books on the Kindle Android app with an occasional digital comic book. Although I'm not sure how comfortable 10 inches will be to hold. Any feedback as a reader would be well appreciated.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
How is e-book reading in portrait? Kindle or Play Books. Is it too big or does it weigh too much?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Some of the higher end models (Asus C436) have NVMe but I'm not sure if it's a user replaceable part, can't find a teardown.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Ordered a Lenovo Chromebook Duet 128 GB today from Best Buy. Looking forward to having a tablet for books and YouTube. Also the 64 GB model is available at Walmart for in person sales and most store should have a demo station (look in the tablet area).

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
youtube-dl is what I use to download videos off YouTube/C-SPAN/etc etc. https://ytdl-org.github.io/youtube-dl/index.html

Pretty much anything that can be downloaded can be played with the builtin Chrome OS media player by double clicking on it from the Files app.

Edit: youtube-dl is a command line program but there seem to be some open source frontends that work in Windows: https://tartube.sourceforge.io/

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 5, 2020

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

NewFatMike posted:

Is anyone with a Duet able to confirm if you can get Linux apps working on it? I've got to launch AppImages from a Linux file browser (dolphin) but once launched they work great.

Just trying to see if I can recommend it for some browser based CAD + 3D printing. PrusaSlicer is the specific AppImage.

It looks like PrusaSlicer is only packaged in AppImage for x64, but the Duet is aarch64. It does look like it's packaged in Debian testing, so you might be able to go that route.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

NewFatMike posted:

Oh cool! Yeah, I really just want to see if it can slice with that in any app format I guess. I hadn't even thought it might be packaged differently for ARM.

I use flatpak for a bunch of things like Signal desktop on my x64 Chromebook and it's annoying that with my Duet those same apps aren't packaged for aarch64. I looked into building debs for SIgnal desktop and it's going to be a pain because Electron isn't as thoroughly supported on aarch64.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
The only other distinction I can think of is where the cpu is x86 (Intel/AMD) or ARM. But that only really matters if you need the Linux container to support x86. By-in-large most Chromebooks are x86.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
The Asus C523 can be had for 270-400 depending on the specs. There is also the 2 in 1 Asus CM5/CX5 that are higher end.

Edit: The C523 is harder to recommend because it's older and all the models still for sale are 4 GB of ram.

It looks like the CM5/CX5 should be available soon, but isn't for sale yet. I've seen a couple YouTube reviews for it.

Edit2: The Asus C536 is the successor to the C523 and Best Buy has a model for $569 with an Intel i3 11th gen.

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 22, 2021

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Here is the list of all Chromebook models and when they end support. Previously it was 5 years of support per board from introduction date, then recently it was changed so newer models have support for 8 years. I looked at all the clamshell 11 inch models at https://www.google.com/chromebook/shop/ and the support list at https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366. There are a handful of models that will have support to 2025 or 2026. You might have better options if you include all the flip models, because most of the cheapest chromebooks (of which these are) are on sale fairly regularly.

Edit: The Lenovo C340 11 can be had for $199 at the moment at Walmart https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-C...latin/427724635 and will be supported until June 2026.

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 5, 2021

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I have a Duet as a secondary Chromebook for use as a tablet. I like it, very good for light use or to bring to a coffee shop. Wonderful value even with the 128 GB model.

Asus is also doing their take on a 10 inch detachable keyboard and a slightly newer MediaTek processor. The Asus CM3 is $369 with 64 GB of storage and a built in USI stylus. It's probably more capable than the Duet, but the $100 increase in price lowers the value proposition a lot compared to the Duet.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
What price range?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Acer Chromebook 314. 14 inch, 1366 x 786, 4GB ram, 64GB storage. Support through June 2026.

Staples has it for $219:

https://www.staples.com/acer-chrome...roduct_24435827

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Wrong thread.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
If I was a 15.6 laptop person, I would definitely pick that one up. I have an Asus C434 (13.3 almost, almost 2 years old, paid 600 some dollars) and I am a big fan. The two-in-one is a bit ridiculous in tablet mode on my 13.3 screen -- too 16:9, but it does give you a flat fold hinge.

Edit: And that is a fantastic price for a chromebook that will last for many years. I'm used to only seeing the Atom descended Pentium/Celerons at that preice point so an i3 is very nice.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

Okay, that was a great loving deal. Love this thing, totally a steal at $400. Didn't realize it has both a numpad and a touchscreen.

Glad you like it. Let us know what you think of the touchpad. I see reviewers having strong opinions on those, but I'm happy most of the time with a large glass one.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I use my MediaTek Lenovo Duet as a travel laptop when I fly to visit family and don't expect to do anything but light web browsing and media consuption.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
My Asus C434 is an m3-8100Y and it suites me fine. It's having at least 8gb that is the real difference. For what I do, I would increase the amount of storage before processor.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
The only exception is that Chromebooks enrolled into MDM with Education or Business accounts can be locked.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
If anyone is looking for a Acer Spin 713 11th gen i5, Newegg has an Acer Refurbished one for $449.

https://www.newegg.com/acer-cp713-3w-5102/p/2S3-0008-003K3

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
If anyone is looking for an 11th gen Intel i5, Costco has an Asus CX5400 14" i5-1130G7 for $699 (regular $899):

https://www.costco.com/asus-14-touchscreen-cx5400-chromebook-intel-i5-1130g7-1080p.product.100801388.html

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I'm waiting for more 12th gen Intel Chromebooks to hit the market. Something i5 or higher and thunderbolt in the 500-700 dollar range. I think the Acer 714 and 513 are about it.

Although my Asus C434's battery is starting to show its age.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I have to assume that Chrome OS for Framework is going to need a different coreboot flashed.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
All new Chromebooks have 8 years of updates. I know I plan on using a Chromebook for a long time. So I can either get a $250 semi disposable Chromebook every 2 years. Or I can spend more like $750-1000 for a Chromebook with a much sturdier build quality and better specs.

To me it's a no brainer considering the difference in cost over time is very similar and I can afford the upfront cost.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I buy and own a premium materials Chromebook because I like a premium materials Chromebook and can afford it.

Trying to argue about my personal usecase (or the usecase of every single comer like mystes is) is only going to elicit annoyance.

Edit: I am sick of the people who parachute into this thread thinking it's a "debate whether Chromebooks should exist" thread and not a chill "how do I do this?" and "what Chromebook should I buy?" thread.

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 28, 2022

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Super-NintendoUser posted:

Just curious, with a linux container on a chromebook is it possible to use a bluetooth game pad? I don't think it is right?

Nope. The container doesn't expose anything in /dev/input. And I don't think you can have a USB bluetooth stick be exposed to the container.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Quixzlizx posted:

Has Google given any way yet to change the 5 minute screen shutoff/OS lock timer? It's especially annoying because my Google account has a strong password because I'd obviously have major problems if someone got in there.

I'm seriously surprised that more people don't have issues with this, it's basically a deal-breaker for me for using ChromeOS as more than a curiosity/backup device.
I do not understand what you're saying.

What is the behavior you don't like? What is the behavior you would prefer?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Lord Bob posted:

The screen turns off and drops you to the lock screen after 5 minutes of inactivity in chromeos, then you gotta password/pin/fingerprint back in - it's done this on every chromebook i've ever had, with no way to change the timer.

You can turn off that behaviour so it never locks, but there's no way to have it lock but adjust the lockout timer that I'm aware of.

drat, I didn't know Quixzlizx was your alt.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Mental Hospitality posted:

How does the m3-8100y compare to the newer Jasper Lake dual/quad core processors? I'm assuming it's probably faster than the 2C N4500 found on a lot of other inexpensive chromebooks.

E: 8 gigs of ram too? That is most definitely a certain buy for that price. 8GB of ram on a chromebook has been wonderful.

I have an Asus C434 with that CPU and 8GB of RAM and 64GB eMMC. It's a slightly improved version of the C433 -- mostly screen and the all the case is aluminum instead of just part. I've had it since August 2019 and it's very reasonable for web browsing with a lot of tabs open and some light Linux container use for a couple desktop programs. The 64GB is a little tight sometimes, but I just put stuff I need in Google Drive. Both have support until June 2026, so I'd recommend it.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BFFZH9LN $299.99

Lenovo - 2022 - IdeaPad Flex 5i - 2-in-1 Chromebook Laptop Computer - Intel Core i3-1115G4 - 13.3" FHD Touch Display - 8GB Memory - 256GB Storage

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Now that you mention it, mine had 8gb. It says in stock locally so I think i'll grab one. The C433 has become my go to machine, my windows laptop is pretty much used to run Cura for my printers now.

Anyone successfully running cura on a CB?

com.ultimaker.cura is in flathub and launches on my C434 (the sister model). It's version 5.2. However, the UI is unresponsive. It looks like it takes the mouse clicks, but then doesn't redraw the screen. I have to resize the window to force a redraw after each click.

The debian package for cura is version 4.8 and seems to work.

The AppImage from the official site is 5.2 and seems to work.

Edit: And I have no idea if it would work connected to a 3d printer over USB.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-c...p?skuId=6507836

I ordered this Acer Chromebook Spin 714 for $479 (regular price $729). i5 12th gen 8GB/256 14".

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
If you're trying to run an android launcher from the play store on a Chromebook and make it have any control over the system, I don't think that is supported by the android containers. Android apps, including launchers are isolated from the rest of the system and can only really send intents to launch activities. No intent can control how another android app displays or works.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I do wish that Google would make Steam available as a flag on the stable channel. I would like to play the occasional indie game on my Acer Spin 714 with a 12th gen intel cpu. I'm aware that Steam in Crostini is a thing, but even though flatpak installs have made it much easier, it's still a bit of a pain.

Edit: This https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/steam-on-chromeos/

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
https://chromeunboxed.com/steam-for-chromebook-stable-channel/

I saw the Chrome Unboxed story where they found a patch being committed. But in my experience Google has no problem backing out a change on short notice or only commiting the change in a branch. So I remain skeptical.

Edit: Side note: It just occurred to me that the code name for Steam on ChromeOS, borealis, is a Half Life 2 reference.