Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Ethereal posted:

Base model pixel book is available for $250 off until June 17th. That’s a drat good deal.

https://store.google.com/product/google_pixelbook

I picked this up. Also another 10% if you sign up for a Best Buy student discount emailer. There's no validation, you just give them an email address.

I'd like to switch from my 2013 Macbook over to this for work. I work in 100% Linux, so having this would be a cool thing. I see they have a Fortinet VPN client for Chrome, should that work?

Also I'm curious about running maybe a Windows VM in the new environment. I suppose I could run KVM as a container and then the Windows VM in that right? I have to use Windows once in great while, so I have VM I could spin up should it be necessary. I looked around, I couldn't find anything about that, just people that dual boot into straight up Linux and run a VM in that. But I'd like to keep Chrome/Android around for most of my use, especially if the Fortinet client works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thermopyle posted:

I'm not really answering your question, but just in case you've not thought of this...

I have a windows VM running in KVM on one of my servers and when I need to use Windows for some reason and I'm at a not-Windows machine I RDP into that VM. I do this from my Chromebook once in a blue moon.

I do this now. My work is 100% Linux, but we have a Windows desktop app I need to test from time to time. The problem is that I need to VPN from the windows laptop to reach the client networks sometimes so my headless windows box is sometimes cut off from the internet so I can rdp into it. I can work around it by instead running a VM on my windows pc that I then access through the VM console and VPN through that. Its infrequent enough that its not a big deal.

I'll probably just setup chroot and install qemu and do a Windows VM there. Is that feasible? I see some people saying that is broken at the moment though.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
What's the recommended dock for the Pixelbook? I see the D6000 Dell dock is highly recommended, it's $140, but seems like a safe bet.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I've had the Pixelbook for a couple days now, and here's my hot take:

• the hardware itself is easily the best feeling laptop I've ever handled. It's light, well balanced, solid, the keyboard and trackpad are fantastic
  • the screen is absolutely incredible
  • I made a huge mistake, I thought the ChromeOS Forticlient plugin would do VPN, but it's just a content filter, so I had to developer mode it and chroot
  • in chroot I have linux running perfect, and I even setup Steam to run in a tab with xiwi. It's really straight forward and mature enough to use
  • I can use Linux forticlient VPN, and it even proxies all my ChromeOS traffic so it works fine
  • Apparently I can't dualboot Gallium OS on the Pixelbook yet, doesn't seem super compatible, so I can't use Windows at the moment, but with the AltOS developments, and the breakneck pace the Pixelbook has been experiencing these new features, I figure it won't be too long.
  • That said, I think it can replace my Macbook for work. The only problem is the odd times I have to use a Windows client, but work gives me a decent enough Thinkpad, so I can just make sure I have that if I go to a client that requires it
  • I'm going to keep it, even though it's not 100% what I need. For $600 (the best buy deal, plus a coupon, plus CC and Ebates Cashback, its not a bad deal.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Quixzlizx posted:

I wish I knew which models other than the Pixelbook and Samsung Plus were eventually going to get native Linux support.

Don't buy things based on unreleased features.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Does Atom gdrive sync work by authenticating Atom directly to gdrive, or does it just right to the Google Drive folder on your mac?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

el_caballo posted:

I've been noticing that my Pixelbook never really seems to power off. Or at least, something is still draining the battery. I'll be working with it plugged in, charged to 100%. I'll hit the Power button in the "hamburger" menu and the screen will go black before I shut it. It should be completely off, not in sleep mode.

I'll throw it in its case and after maybe five days or so take it back out again and it will be at like 5% charge.

Guess I'll powerwash it again.

I had that problem when I first bought it, I posted on the Pixelbook help thread:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!msg/pixelbook/AsI0_srGlNY/tjbLGb9-CAAJ

I ended up doing a powerwash and it went away.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Tunga posted:

I believe any modern network connected printer should just work. You may need to give it the IP manually but my random Canon inkjet just showed up by itself and worked with no hassle.

This is sort of correct. Note that if you can find the PPD file for the printer, which is sort of like a linux print driver, you should be ok. Typically if the printer has a Mac driver you can extract it and get a ppd file out of it.

This site, has most of the available ppd files for linux, since it's what CUPS (which is a linux printer service) utilizes.
https://www.openprinting.org/drivers

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I've had the new Pixelbook a day and I'm liking it. Not too much to say here -- it's light and nicely designed, I'm not really missing the Windows apps, and it's nice that I can do Linux stuff. I am not sure why I decided to buy the pen too, as I don't have any obvious use for it.

Squid is a really nice handwriting app.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Cojawfee posted:

I think more than a thousand dollars was always going to be a tough sell for a device that relies on phone apps and linux in order to compete with cheap windows machines. I love my chromebook but it sucks to have to deal with the android version of MS Word, because it's slow and built for a phone. Google Docs is ok, but I like Word.

Word works in the browser pretty well.

I got the CB for $700 new from BB, and I used Ebates and some other CB option to get another $100 cashback. At $600 it was a steal.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

teagone posted:

Mini-derail, but I wish Google didn't give up on the ~$200 7" Android tablet market. The Nexus 7 was so good :(

I'm pretty happy with my Fire HD 10 though. It's been awesome to read comics on. And the Fire 7 I got my dad so he can play Bejeweled Blitz and Kingdom Rush wherever he wants has worked out perfect for him :)

One of my friends has one and uses it still. It's nice to see it every once in a while.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
My wife has an ancient Acer Chromebook that I picked up for like $100 several years ago, and it's failing apart so it's time to replace it. I don't need anything crazy, but I would like something that I can put Linux on, maybe 13 inch, from $250-350. I think the Pixelbook Go would be good, but it's just too expensive, especially since my 5 year old will probably get ahold of it. Any suggestions? I like the HP ones linked on Woot, but they are out of stock now.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
ChromeOS is getting Parallels

https://www.parallels.com/chrome/

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

MikeJF posted:

I wonder what performance will be like. And if they'll let you set things up into seamless windows operation and pretend your chromebook is a windows computer permanently with relative ease. The windows netbook market has been nonexistent the past decade or so.

Probably not.

Doesn't Parallel's just run a Windows VM? I don't have much experience with it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Just curious, with a linux container on a chromebook is it possible to use a bluetooth game pad? I don't think it is right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I'm looking at the Steam Chromebook integration, I'd like to pick up a new CB that supports it, but I'm curious if that supports Bluetooth controllers. If you run Linux on a regular Chromebook, you can't pass through bluetooth devices to it.