Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I read the OP but I'm still at a loss as to what to get my 12 year old daughter. She has one issued by her school but wants one of her own. She takes good care of her devices, so ruggedness doesn't need to be a top priority. A larger screen would be good but I don't want to sacrifice processor power to get the the large screened ACER mentioned in the OP. Is a touch-screen useful?

Is this overkill?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-12-3-chromebook-plus-touch-screen-4gb-memory-32gb-emmc-flash-memory-platinum-silver/5620405.p

Please help, thread. I'm drowning in options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Statutory Ape posted:

if i were choosing between that one and the other one i just recommended i would pick the C302ca

I see the Samsung is pictured with a stylus. Does this have that capability? I'm not familiar with what kind of touch screens these things use.

edit: Can't go wrong with a processor that fast I guess

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 16, 2017

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the advice folks!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Atomizer posted:

It basically comes down to:
Samsung Plus: Price, stylus, 3:2
Asus Flip: 16:9, maybe battery life?, maybe more storage

I don't doubt the concerns about battery life, although I've found that it's difficult to get reliably comparable numbers between different models, plus actual longevity will widely vary based on individual usage. Also, the Flip has the potential for more storage because there are more variants, like the Samsung Pro, whereas there's just the one Plus (which is going to remain that way, AFAIK.) The display aspect ratio is also not a huge difference (compared to, say, an ultra-wide.) I still think the Plus, at a good price, is going to be the best option for a 12-year-old.

Best Buy has the plus and pros on sale this week, so I snagged a pro for her.

Thanks again for everyone's help.