Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

New Zealand can eat me posted:

This guide to setting up a development chromebook using Termux was what made it click for me: https://blog.lessonslearned.org/building-a-more-secure-development-chromebook/

That + usb 3 gigabit ethernet adapter, yubikey, and a fast microsd and it's the perfect dev terminal

On the other side of things, I've also found that having one of these backstage is extremely useful for ferrying mp3s to/from thumbdrives/the internet. It's relatively cheap so it's not the end of the world if some piece of poo poo ganks it.

The new ones with the nice screens are tempting, but the $169 one still has HDMI out.

I was looking to get a Chromebook for exactly this purpose. Did you set it up like that and if so, how did you like it?

Any recoomendations on what kinda CB would be nest suited? I’d like to use it as portable dev environment when I can’t take my 17” with me and/or as couch/bed machine to do some minor browsing/coding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Atomizer posted:

All CBs work the same, so your choice can be narrowed down to price and/or features. Do you have any questions about my recommendations in the 2nd post?

I understand they all work the same, but I was wondering if for just (basic) development / browsing / managing remote machines (rdp/ssh) a 4GB model would be sufficient. Hence me asking if people are using the setup mentioned in that article.

At the moment I'm looking for a CB that's larger than 11" and smaller than 15" and which costs about 250 euro (290 dollar). The Acer Chromebook 14 CB3-431-C5FM mentioned in the recommendations looks perfect for what I want to us it for. The problem is, I can't find the C5FM model, just the C5FK which appears to be exactly the same, except it carries a 369 euro (428 dollar) pricetag. Which is a rather steep difference and outside of the price range I'm looking at.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Atomizer posted:

Since you mentioned wanting to do both dev stuff and leisure activity, I'd lean you towards one of the "mid-range" convertibles in the 2nd post. If you're going to be spending a lot of time with a machine it should be halfway decent. The vast majority of CBs have 4 GB of RAM, which is fine if you're using upwards of a dozen or so tabs and I don't think the other uses you mentioned are any more demanding than that. What complicates matters is that you're outside the US and have a somewhat low budget, so actually finding devices that are available for you to purchase is going to be a challenge. Can you link that C5FK model so I can look at it? I'm not sure that's an actual official Acer model.

I think something like the Samsung CB Plus would work best for you if you stretched your budget a little and found a refurb, but failing that the Acer R13 is a nice alternative, and if you check eBay I'm pretty sure you can find one under your budget.

I see I called it C5FK but it’s actually C5K7. Here’s a link to the model: link

I think it’s the same model as the one you mentioned but for a different market. It’s only for sale under this type at several large retailers whereas the FM model is nowhere to be found.

I also looked into Samsung CB’s (even before finding my way to this thread), but Samsung pulled back all laptop/CB activities from my country and I can’t find any on either Amazon UK or DE so I assume they’re not available anywhere in Western Europe.

I’m not sure if I want to stretch my budget anywhere beyond 300 euro. I was looking for a lightweight/portable device I could take if I needed to go somewhere for an hour or 2 and didn’t wnat to bring my HP ZBook. Midrange might already be overkill as I expect to only use it for 1-2 hour periods at any given time.

If the price goes beyond 300 euros it might just not be worth it for me. Apparently CBs are awesome priced in the US but are almost 50% more expensive in Europe.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I hope we poor Europeans get some sweet black friday deals as well. I’d really like to get a chromebook and hopefully I can get a 15-20% discount on that 14” Acer.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

MrNemo posted:

Problem I've discovered: the UK is not so great for Chromebook availability, definitely for Samsung. The pro and plus don't seem to be available here. I've discovered eBay based refurb models though so might look into getting the Asus c302 for around £400 after cyber Monday in case there's a good deal.

It looks like Samsung stopped sales of their laptops and CBs in all/most of Europe a few years ago.

I ordered the Acer CB 14 yesterday. Some pretty sweet pre black friday deal had it at 300 euros which is a 79 euro discount.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I see Chrome OS is adding inline replies to notifications which is pretty sweet.

https://plus.google.com/+FrancoisBeaufort/posts/HeT5ciPLfts

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I’ve been using my Acer 14” for almost 8 months now. I bring it as a lightweight easy to carry device and use crouton/debian mostly to do some software development.

I absolutely love it for this. At home/work I use heavy hardware which is not really portable but this awesome lil’ machine has almost everything I want (for portability purposes). Only thing I offload to a vps or aws/gcp is container deployment.

Only downside so far is that I can’t get blueman to work on it (yet).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

One of the few things that I haven't figured out yet is why my CB dims the screen display and goes to standby after only a minute or 2 of inactivity while running debian with xfce in crouton.

Any know how to disable that? The default xfce settings don't seem to work.