Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
It seems topical, so I'll mention CloudReady in case others might want to try it out. If you haven't used a Chromebook before and want to see what it's like to use the OS then you can use this with your existing PC hardware. I installed it on my 6 year old ASUS netbook with a single-core Atom N450 and 2GB of DDR2 and am surprised at how well it works. The hardware is slow, of course, but there don't seem to be any incompatibilities and the UI scales great to the 1024x600 screen. I'll probably leave it on this over my previous installs of Windows 10 (which also works OK, but is definitely more sluggish) or LXDE Fedora.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Whoops, my bad. Should have checked again instead of assuming that it wasn't there because I didn't remember it... anyway, I can add that it works great on really low-end hardware!

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

fivehead posted:

Really frustrating how slow new CPUs enter the chromebook supply chain and thus how slowly new chromebooks seem to enter the market.

The kaby lake celerons have been out for about a year and AFAIK I can't buy a chromebook with the Celeron 3865U. The Acer C771 introduced the Skylake celeron like two years after it came out and then proceeded to be unavailable for months and I can't find it for retail price.

ugh.

Kaby Lake is pretty much slightly overclocked Skylake already and considering Celeron is the slowest tier, the distinction means particularly little there. Even comparing to the 3765U Broadwell I don't see many differences that could ever matter on a Chromebook.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
If you're talking about the 3120, codename 'candy' - I got one of those a few years back from Woot for $50 and immediately put the MrChromebox firmware on it. It runs Fedora XFCE fine - WiFi, Bluetooth, mic, and camera all seem to work OK, I haven't found any issues so far. Noticeably not a quick machine, but it's fine for basic stuff like web browser and terminal work.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 7, 2024

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I'm probably not the right person for that particular comparison - this is the only Chromebook I've ever owned. The action does feel pretty good, maybe not quite as snappy as my new Thinkpad but on the level with my Latitude from 2016. I'd love if it were backlit but obviously can't expect that for the price.