Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Is there any way at all of making Smart Lock (unlock your Chromebook while your Android phone is unlocked) more ... useful?

I'm absolutely, utterly fed up of setting up Smart Lock, then having it somehow lose sight of my phone; so it's forever at the yellow 'uh-oh can't find your phone, better enter your Google account's entire 64-character password string, gently caress you' login prompt instead. Or its latest trick, which is getting the green 'unlocked, click your profile image' thing and it then turning into the yellow 'uh whoops that didn't work, gimme your password, gently caress you' prompt anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

There's rumors that Linux containers in ChromeOS are going to be announced at I/O. If that's the case, then Intel may be the better bet if you want that functionality.

Got to admit, I'm not particularly stoked about this.

I mean great, if it works then it works. However, I'm wary of feature creep away from ChromeOS' basic strength: which is, any idiot who knows what the Internet is can use one. A Chromebook doesn't need to be a big-boy laptop you can install Steam onto, it just needs to be cheap, cheerful and able to access Facebook!

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Fair point. Up until now, though, my Chromebook is one of the few life-with-Google things that hasn't made me want to drop an anvil on their engineers' heads at some point or another, because (again, up until now) it's been too simple to gently caress up because it's a loving web browser.

I'll just be disappointed if they fritter away another product's core purpose and strength because some idiot's bonus objective this year is 'grow our enterprise presence'.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Statutory Ape posted:

What other products have they done that to

Off the very top of my head: Google Now turned into a 'here's some articles our ad partners want you to read' service, instead of a 'here's the weather at work, leave by 07:52 and take this route to avoid traffic, you have one appointment today' service. There's a frigging golden anvil ready to drop on whoever was responsible for that.

Then there's the rest of the Google graveyard resident like Reader (tried to do social then died), Picasa (sort of went Google+'y then died), and their messaging efforts (smdh). I'd argue that their Nexus/AOSP programme morphed from 'here's a decent mid-range phone that we want people to develop for and our partners to expand on in their own way' into the Pixel 'it's an iphone but Android, we mean it this time'. And I like my Pixel.

lelandjs posted:

I doubt that the Linux containers will be an advertised feature outside of developer circles. They might show off Steam running Portal 2 in ads (because it absolutely DOES work on the hardware, and performance might even be better because I’m not also running a desktop manager), but that would probably be the most they do.

Thing is, whether it's an advertised feature or not doesn't matter if, in order to be functional and add value, it spoils the simplicity of the ChromeOS experience.

For example, right now the deepest user-facing guts my Chromebook has - Google Drive integration aside - is the Downloads folder. Which is great, because the expectation is that you're going to do all your work in webapps 'in the cloud', and only use the Downloads folder for storing downloads. It's all that's needed.

I'm not going to claim I have any idea how the Linux container system is going to work, but I'd wager it's going to need some form of a local file system to function and be useful. So does this mean that we're going to have to deal with My Documents / My Music / My Pictures / My Games / etc. folders in ChromeOS now, or is there going to be a Linux filesystem and a ChromeOS filesystem and the Android system guts sat side-by-side on the local storage, all silo'd away from each other?