Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Shy posted:

what about vindictus looks good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxzgyr6wZSI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years

Good Dumplings posted:

because not knowing what the gently caress's going on and feeling like you wasted your time are basically the defining themes of old school MMOs

By this metric i’m gonna recommend The Secret World f2p edition. I tried getting into this twice because i’m into eldritch styled bullshit, and quit it in the starting zone both times because the most otherworldly horror I got was from how awkward and unpleasant the gameplay felt.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Secret World is one of the best games for writing, atmosphere, VA, etc... But its not in line with what the OP is looking for. Everyone needs to give Secret World a chance, but for what it actually is, not what it isn't.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
SWL is very well written/acted and fun through the main storyline and not reminiscent of EQ in any way, but it does have an old school style endgame grind where you need to spend hundreds of hours rerunning content just so you can rerun dungeons at a higher difficulty until you start to question what you're doing with your life, so there's that.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
DAOC on the Uthgarde freeshard: https://www2.uthgard.net

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
A few other people have mentioned FFXI, but I play on a FFXI private server that tries to emulate the game as it was in 2006.

http://nasomi.com/

Unlike most people, I never played FFXI retail, so there is no nostalgia here for me. I was just looking for an oldschool MMO experience, as I'd gotten burnt out on the modern ones.

It's honestly a terrible grindy game with a non-intuitive UI and obscure/confusing quest system. It can take hours to even do a simple quest, or to travel between cities.

I still really like it, but I can't explain why.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SerCypher posted:

A few other people have mentioned FFXI, but I play on a FFXI private server that tries to emulate the game as it was in 2006.

http://nasomi.com/

Unlike most people, I never played FFXI retail, so there is no nostalgia here for me. I was just looking for an oldschool MMO experience, as I'd gotten burnt out on the modern ones.

It's honestly a terrible grindy game with a non-intuitive UI and obscure/confusing quest system. It can take hours to even do a simple quest, or to travel between cities.

I still really like it, but I can't explain why.

Nobody has ever figured out why FFXI hooks you so deeply like that. Some people just say it's Stockholm Syndrome somehow.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

jokes posted:

Nobody has ever figured out why FFXI hooks you so deeply like that. Some people just say it's Stockholm Syndrome somehow.

I think part of it is the design and community.

I've never played a game where you need people so much, and people need you.

In a game like WoW, you do a dungeon, but everyone benefits. In ffxi you need 4-5 extra people to help you with a personal quest that benefits them in no way. I think it's that feeling of relying on each other that gives it a sense of satisfaction.

Either that or stockholm.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

SerCypher posted:

In a game like WoW, you do a dungeon, but everyone benefits. In ffxi you need 4-5 extra people to help you with a personal quest that benefits them in no way. I think it's that feeling of relying on each other that gives it a sense of satisfaction.

I don't miss waiting hours to farm a party to grind X mob only for poo poo to fall apart at all.

admiral.baby
May 1, 2009

boho posted:

Yep, this.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Daoc live is pretty fun as well. I dabble in that few times a year. They're going free to play later in the year as well.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
They call it free to play, but it's obviously a trial. Old accounts aren't allowed.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Freakazoid_ posted:

They call it free to play, but it's obviously a trial. Old accounts aren't allowed.

that's true

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SerCypher posted:

Do people actually do low level stuff? I've been on an old MMO binge because I'm tired of group finders making it so I'm basically playing bot games. Only problem is most people are loving off doing high level stuff in the older MMOs and lol I'm not dedicating two months to grinding to max level just to group and find out I hate the game

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
I think on live FFXI everyone just solos with repeatable quests (Records of Eminence?). There are group repeatable quests as well but I'm not sure if people do that over soloing anymore. There's a thing called Trusts in the game that basically let you have an entire 6 person party with every role so there's really no reason to group until endgame anymore. I haven't played in years though so I could be talking out of my rear end.

If you play Nasomi it actually feels more like one of the smaller servers from back in the day. When I tried it there were plenty of people grouping in all areas of the game. I think there were around 150 people logged on at the time but this was about a year ago. It's a quality server though I hear the admins like to play favorites as with many small private servers.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

OP you should just do what I do and watch the Pantheon pre-Alpha streams.

CohhCarnage did a dungeon crawl with the Pantheon devs a couple days ago and I wanted to play their stupid game so badly.

Was thinking about pledging because I don't value my money.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Ehud posted:

OP you should just do what I do and watch the Pantheon pre-Alpha streams.

CohhCarnage did a dungeon crawl with the Pantheon devs a couple days ago and I wanted to play their stupid game so badly.

Was thinking about pledging because I don't value my money.

is there a beta date yet

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Hexel posted:

is there a beta date yet

Nope. They're in pre-alpha right now.

I think they're probably a year out from a closed beta.

And honestly it wouldn't surprise me if they just shut it down suddenly one day because they ran out of money. I don't know if enough people have interest in this kind of game anymore. Everyone who was into the slow MMORPG genre grew up and has kids and stuff now.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I will say though, in defense of Pantheon, they aren't doing anything super ambitious or promising the world. They're making a game for people who think it's fun to get a party of 6 together (better have a tank, healer and crowd control!) and claw their way through a 2+ hour dungeon.

They do have a few interesting ideas that will make it a little different than just a reskinned EQ, but it's still going to require the holy trinity group comp, XP penalties are in, tab targeting is in, etc.

I think most people want their characters in MMO's to be flipping around and feeling like superheroes at this point. Having to rely heavily on a group as you scrape by in each fight is probably not going to appeal to most people. Same with not having an in game map or quest markers.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

boho posted:

I'm gonna play this! I never played Dark Age of Camelot before but always wanted to.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Ehud posted:

I will say though, in defense of Pantheon, they aren't doing anything super ambitious or promising the world. They're making a game for people who think it's fun to get a party of 6 together (better have a tank, healer and crowd control!) and claw their way through a 2+ hour dungeon.

They do have a few interesting ideas that will make it a little different than just a reskinned EQ, but it's still going to require the holy trinity group comp, XP penalties are in, tab targeting is in, etc.

I think most people want their characters in MMO's to be flipping around and feeling like superheroes at this point. Having to rely heavily on a group as you scrape by in each fight is probably not going to appeal to most people. Same with not having an in game map or quest markers.

WTF, the old games needed maps because we had Wolfenstine 3D maps where every bloody wall had the same texture. Even EQ put in a map. Now if you want to go with a hand drawn map go for it, so long as we can reasonably get around.

I still have no idea why you want a group to level at different rates, D&D figured this out with milestones a long time ago. Tab I am more or less meh about,

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
You know, I always wondered if there would be some sort of happy medium ground with "You get no map" like in old school EQ1 and "You have a perfectly precise Google Map style navigation system with minimap and quest pins" from WoW everything after since I feel like the latter especially takes away from the part of the game where you're exploring these hostile lands. I would love for there to be intricate, high detail maps available in game at a glance, but no cursor or location tracking so that you actually have to navigate by using your relative location to nearby landmarks, Boy Scout style.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

DeathSandwich posted:

You know, I always wondered if there would be some sort of happy medium ground with "You get no map" like in old school EQ1 and "You have a perfectly precise Google Map style navigation system with minimap and quest pins" from WoW everything after since I feel like the latter especially takes away from the part of the game where you're exploring these hostile lands. I would love for there to be intricate, high detail maps available in game at a glance, but no cursor or location tracking so that you actually have to navigate by using your relative location to nearby landmarks, Boy Scout style.

That's what macros were for in the "good" old days, any mechanic where you try to obscure data just ends up favoring people with datamining or automation tools over everyone else

The classic MMO genre didn't die so much as it committed suicide, c.f. Wildstar

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Honestly, it's hard to go back to old games (especially MMOs) after the QoL improvements that modern games have. It's like night and day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I'm gonna play this! I never played Dark Age of Camelot before but always wanted to.

If you need advice, or decide to play Albion, hit me up.

• Locked thread