Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

I have no idea how fantasy baseball works, so I think I'm just going to watch this thread. :allears:

This isn't even "fantasy baseball", it's "fantasy video game baseball simulation organized by a madman". By madman I don't mean an insane person, I mean an angry person. But he's great.

Anyway pre-existing knowledge of anything beyond picking out 12 points of feeders isn't necessary. If you've ever played Galaxy Trucker board game you'll know that some of the best fun you can have is making a design so madcap loony and unstable is blows in half after the first foray out into the unknown. You can pick out feeders at random, put together the most hardscrabble and insane team seen yet, and still have fun wondering "maybe, just maybe this team can make something of themselves" like a virtual Indians team from Major League.

Odds are no, they'll do horrible and get blown up in a fiery earth-shattering kaboom, but that's the adventure!

And the icing on top is that some other person who knows everything about baseball, fantasy baseball, maybe even had multiple previous teams in the league, will do even worse, because that's baseball!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

So many cub feeders and no Ernie banks :(

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

Hello folks! I just realized whoever linked the Little league/Big league world series feeder did a weird thing and linked to a wikipedia page that doesnt actually show who you get.

Here is an actual list of players that played in both!

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/legendary/little_league_world_series_major_league_world_series.shtml

so basically a 97 Sheffield. 86 Gooden in there to break your heart. 88 Lansford miiiiight be playable. Boog Powell should be a bit better but isn't.

Not bad for 1 point, Sheff's stock has been on the rise lately, good bat-first RF.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

mrnoun posted:

Lansford plays 3rd base, hits a few home runs and doesn't strike out 150 times a season. By Mogul standards, that makes him perfectly playable. Just by '88 he was winding down, and Mogul knows it.

Yeah, lemme rephrase that. Lansford is playable, especially at a slightly scarce position like 3rd base, but whether he'll hit and defend well given (1) he was good but not all-time great and (2) he's getting a bit long in the tooth is an open question.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Straight White Shark posted:

I may have done a bad thing.

You did, you listed RF before LF in the position listing, which I never see and made me wonder if you were insane when I thought you had Walker in left and Simmons in right.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Pander posted:

You did, you listed RF before LF in the position listing, which I never see and made me wonder if you were insane when I thought you had Walker in left and Simmons in right.

Also I totally get what you're going for and it's cool, if a bit derivative, but I really think even with a short porch in right that old Mathewson is a much better bet at SP5 than Baumgartner.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Faustoan Bargain posted:

Am I a reprehensible dick if I factor this in with an existing desire to experiment with guys in expansion period who probably won't be on my "regular season" team? (Trick question, I'm a reprehensible dick for other reasons altogether!) Or is "bench the safe picks, see what you can get out of risky guys" a viable strategy?

I've got absolutely nothing against trying unusual guys. It's just if I see a guy like Tris Speaker benched for Aaron Hicks or something just to get a better draft pick then yeah, that's kind of a dick move.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Faustoan Bargain posted:

Thanks, you have a good point - there's no need to start off using a definite weakness when I want to know if Vizquel can give me enough at the plate.

Shuffled the lineups in my original post - not sure if that even matters, I figure lineups will get moved when people see ratings anyway.

David Justice doesn't have a great history in the SL but I kinda like him. His contact suffers a little cause he struck out about 90 times a season and hit 20 points under .300, and by 34 he's getting a little old, but you can do worse than trying to see if he can draw walks and hit dingers for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

CirclMastr posted:

I am about to get on a plane home from Worlds, so I will probably start begging for help in the Discord tonight or tomorrow.

Lots of folks in the discord love putting together rosters.

• Locked thread