Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Hi! I'm TheMcD, and I'll be the one running the Expansion Cup for the new teams this time around. I'd just like to remind you again that if you have any questions, either ask directly here in the thread or head to the Super-League Discord channel. We're all looking for some new blood to join the league and would be glad to help anybody out!

If you're scared of screwing up, don't be - everybody's first team has issues, but it's a learning experience that leads to doing better the next time, and everybody goes through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

CirclMastr posted:

I know nothing about any of this, blame McD and his German RPGMaker LP threads for my even being here. I didn't even click the links.

1918 Red Sox (5 points)
1926 Yankees (5 points)
1990 Angels (2 points)

Oh, hey there! Fancy seeing somebody actually coming over from my thread - I honestly didn't expect that would happen.

Looking at what you've picked, you've basically built a team quite similar to one we've seen a few seasons ago from a veteran owner, so there's that. It has some glaring holes, but it also has two copies of the greatest player of all time that stands head and shoulders above the rest, so you've got room to maneuver with and could fix a lot of the problems with the ever wonderful world of trading players. We'll have a look at things once the time comes to actually build the team.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

FairGame posted:

Don't put Dean in the minors. We're all well aware of Dean's premature career demise, but Mogul isn't.

It's why the Dean on the Browns that threw like 2 innings works. It's why Smoky Joe Williams can still pitch brilliantly even after he couldn't throw the drat ball in real life. It's why post-2012 Albert Pujolses can still sometimes hit like Albert Pujols, rather than the sad husk he's turned into.

I mean, do what you want in the EC. Probably good to see what your other arms can do. But Dizzy Dean is absolutely one of your 5 best starting pitchers, and that could be said for probably 95% of the entire league. He rules.

I'm pretty sure you mean Joe Wood, not Joe Williams, since the latter is a Negro League player that would be custom made and can pitch as well as whomever making him wants him to. Or sometimes just pitches terribly regardless. I'm not salty, why are you asking?

frankenfreak posted:

Someone from across the pond who has little clue about baseball? Sounds like I have all the things needed to follow that owner's path then! :v:

Thanks to Shepard and McD for making me aware that this is happening!

I'll take:
(4) 1951 NL all stars
(4) 1994 AL Silver Sluggers
(2) 1987 Athletics
(1) 1905 Phillies
(1) 1972 Rangers

Rad, now we have three Germans hanging around. If we all put our heads together, maybe we can make up enough baseball knowledge to have enough for one person to know what they're doing!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

kw0134 posted:

Dimensionally, it's basically GENERICDOME lite, which I assume is kosher.

Well, it'd be kosher in my EC because I don't really care and just take whatever, but definitely not in the Sub-Par League according to what FairGame said.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Faustoan Bargain posted:

Am I a reprehensible dick if I factor this in with an existing desire to experiment with guys in expansion period who probably won't be on my "regular season" team? (Trick question, I'm a reprehensible dick for other reasons altogether!) Or is "bench the safe picks, see what you can get out of risky guys" a viable strategy?

Sandbagging is one of those things that is a dick move, but it's on the threshold between "not enough of a dick move to actively do anything against" (like, say, drafting somebody purely to spite the one drafting after you) and "enough of a dick move to actually do something about" (like ripping off a new owner for his Babe Ruth) depending on the degree of the players being benched. Tread lightly.

Then again, it's not like your feeders have any major "must start" guys except like, George Brett and Mariano Rivera, I guess, so you're gonna have to find something regardless.

As an aside, just to show where we're at, according to my notes, the following people still need to put their rosters together:

- Faustoan Bargain
- CirclMastr
- Grinnblade

66% done already - unless somebody else signs up on top.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

How have we had two teams based in Cobb County so far and neither have been the Big Boss Men?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o81nbG2Xihk

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, so now we're just waiting for Grinnblade to post a roster. I'm not particularly in a hurry to start the EC, since it goes by quickly, so there's no rush, but just a signal that you're still alive would be good.

If anybody else wants to sign up, there would still be time!

I would also take this time to point out once more that the Super-League Reference has moved. The new link is http://www.super-league.ga.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Nov 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Huh. So we've actually got all complete rosters in before the move to the main thread.

That's... remarkably unusual, but also welcomed.

• Locked thread