Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Wtf if you are American do NOT keep Bird skulls that is nuts illegal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Hey Pick check out the painting I bought a few days ago. I got it from an old Honduran lady for 3 dollars, she claimed that she got from an even older Portuguese man who had brought it with him when he immigrated. It's dated 5/25/75 on the back. It's a little macabre I guess but I like it.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Idgi. Is it a centaur matador being gored by a bull?

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Frankenstyle posted:

Deer are fine in my stomach, and I'm fine with anybody who wants to just shoot them and leave em to rot because that's one more that won't be running out in front of my car at night. But thinking to yourself "Hey, you know what would really make this living room pop? Roadkill!" is pretty weird.

...Unless you're Conan.

What, Obrien or the barbarian

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Rambling Robot posted:

How would OP feel if someone shot him and put his head in their living room?

Neat!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Literally A Person posted:

How do you clean the head of a dead stuffed animal? Lysol?

Dust it, have mothballs around. Otherwise, you don’t.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Who can truly say?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

bongwizzard posted:

A buddy of mine has a dead red-tailed hawk in his freezer. He was hiking along one day and it fell from the sky and hit the ground right in front of him. Dude is a wildlife biologist so of course he took it home with some idea about doing like some bird CSI poo poo on it with his wildlife-buddies but that never happened so now he just has this dead frozen hawk.

A friend from college had a story like this about her father keeping a dead bat in the freezer for months, because he kept meaning to send it in for rabies testing and never got around to it. Her mother apparently poo poo bricks the first time she saw it; her parents later divorced, and while I know the marriage didn't end because of a freezer bat, I kind of imagine that came up at some point.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The white hart is a legend, and this piece is the greatest white hart I have ever seen, and he is my joy.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pick posted:

I do not kill anything but I will take any and all leavings.

If you don't kill it yourself you can't hang it on your wall. That's the law and I expect you to take that mount down immediately and issue a formal apology as soon as is reasonable. :colbert:

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
i have wanted a woodpecker feather ever since i read still life with woodpecker the first time years ago but that's apparently quite illegal (some sort of teddy roosevelt-era "migratory bird" protection bullshit)

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Antivehicular posted:

A friend from college had a story like this about her father keeping a dead bat in the freezer for months, because he kept meaning to send it in for rabies testing and never got around to it. Her mother apparently poo poo bricks the first time she saw it; her parents later divorced, and while I know the marriage didn't end because of a freezer bat, I kind of imagine that came up at some point.

I once took a parasitology class. One thing we had to do for labs was find dead animals so we could do a parasite study on each one. This generally meant collecting roadkill (not strays, but wild animals) One day I was having a particularly productive day, and was loading a coyote into my trunk when a Highway Patrol officer pulled up and I had to explain exactly why I had 8 dead critters in the trunk of my Monza and was loading in another. That was somewhat awkward.

"No, really officer! I'm not creepy! I just need to cut these dudes open so I can catalog the number and types of parasites I can find in each one, so I can produce a report about parasite loads and diversity!"

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

genesplicer posted:

I once took a parasitology class. One thing we had to do for labs was find dead animals so we could do a parasite study on each one. This generally meant collecting roadkill (not strays, but wild animals) One day I was having a particularly productive day, and was loading a coyote into my trunk when a Highway Patrol officer pulled up and I had to explain exactly why I had 8 dead critters in the trunk of my Monza and was loading in another. That was somewhat awkward.

"No, really officer! I'm not creepy! I just need to cut these dudes open so I can catalog the number and types of parasites I can find in each one, so I can produce a report about parasite loads and diversity!"

:golfclap:

When I went home for holiday from the university my mom got a call from the lab wondering where I had put "the brain".

It was where I always put them. In the fridge door in an ethanol solution. :D

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

genesplicer posted:

I had to do the same thing for college last year. Someone brought a bear and left it in the college freezer.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

genesplicer posted:

What the fuckibg hell does your dip poo poo teacher know you probably need a salvage permit??

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Pick posted:

What the fuckibg hell does your dip poo poo teacher know you probably need a salvage permit??

The rules were different in the 19th century

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

walgreenslatino posted:

The rules were different in the 19th century

Genesplicer just asked his liege lord's permission.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Ahhh, killing and mounting the male of the species.

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
I found a neat grackle or seagull skull probably as a preteen, weathered and pretty clean, my mom tossed it because it was weird/gross and I guess she isnt wrong but I mean it isnt like I ended up very cool. I dont know where Im going with this. I just post poo poo everywhere.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
In that vein, my aunt found a dead bald eagle on some train tracks, it was amazingly large with fantastic feathers and when I asked her if I could have some she got all alarmed and said it was a felony to have them [?]

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Spinster posted:

In that vein, my aunt found a dead bald eagle on some train tracks, it was amazingly large with fantastic feathers and when I asked her if I could have some she got all alarmed and said it was a felony to have them [?]

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/how-to-make-your-dead-eagle-a-legal-eagle

quote:

HERE IS A STRANGE-BUT-TRUE AMERICAN fact: It is a crime to be in possession of eagles and eagle parts other than for the purposes of Native American tribal ritual—down to a feather.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Yup, she said she was going to call the park service or something. It's talons were SO BIG.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Spinster posted:

It is.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Bird law in the US is really intense, and it loving should be because before the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, we drat near lost all our loving birds. Like, the birds, no more birds.

With mammals and reptiles, they have to prove you acquired a piece in defiance of legislation. With the MBTA, if you have pieces of a native bird, you have to prove it's legal. And it usually isn't, so, like, I just do not collect birds at all, with the exception of ostrich and emu because they're so obviously not a native species of bird (and not covered by the act).

Also, those are common birds and ranched. I don't collect birds from other nations because the laws are not as stringent, and I do not want to promote any take of birds in another nation that would be covered by analogous legislation in my own country. That would be like the people who go to Thailand for sex.

Pick fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 31, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

If you don't kill it yourself you can't hang it on your wall. That's the law and I expect you to take that mount down immediately and issue a formal apology as soon as is reasonable. :colbert:

It is ok because they're a tiny minority of my collection, such that it is clear that I am a natural history collector and some of the bits happened to have been taxidermied, not that I am a hunter who has personally bagged 80 species of rare crab

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Game birds are safe. Sometimes I keep pheasant tail feathers when I plug a nice one

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Pick posted:

The white hart is a legend, and this piece is the greatest white hart I have ever seen, and he is my joy.

So, ur grandfather gave u the best head u ever got? :laugh: Fukkin out of the park!! :swish:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ork of Fiction posted:

So, ur grandfather gave u the best head u ever got? :laugh: Fukkin out of the park!! :swish:

My grandpa died before I was born :/

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Double owned! LOL!

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Pick posted:

Bird law in the US is really intense, and it loving should be because before the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, we drat near lost all our loving birds. Like, the birds, no more birds.

With mammals and reptiles, they have to prove you acquired a piece in defiance of legislation. With the MBTA, if you have pieces of a native bird, you have to prove it's legal. And it usually isn't, so, like, I just do not collect birds at all, with the exception of ostrich and emu because they're so obviously not a native species of bird (and not covered by the act).

Also, those are common birds and ranched. I don't collect birds from other nations because the laws are not as stringent, and I do not want to promote any take of birds in another nation that would be covered by analogous legislation in my own country. That would be like the people who go to Thailand for sex.

Don't worry we'll get em next time

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

myDad posted:

Hell yea

That's a very nice one by the way.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I do want to put up my white whitetail stag next to the elk to give it some scale because it is stupid massive.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I was out in the woods yesterday attempting to shoot something like that but was unsuccessful. My brother in law got a pretty good whitetail though and when we went through the game check station the nerds from the university got all excited about their CWD research and took slices out of its cheek and went to town on its teeth with pliers :megadeath:

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Oh ya baby. Stroke it good.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Slenderhand