Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!
This is a show that the PVR was designed for watching. The only way to view an "episode" is to fast-spin through all the filler until they actually DO something (like drilling the grid of test holes). The rest, ESPECIALLY the dude with the metal detector, is just so much filler. I find the hour episodes (45-50min without commercials) reduces to about 5-10min MAX after filler is spun-through.

The only thing that annoys me about the show is the way they got all their ideas and execution from watching Roadrunner & Coyote cartoons. I call it the "ACME" show now, because they try some idea exactly ONE TIME and then give up.

Like a diver down a hole ONCE. Give up. Next season, a different diver down a hole ONCE and give up. Giving up is what they seem to do best, although starting something at like 1pm and working for 1 hour then saying "Welp, time to call it a day" (in bright sunshine) is pretty good for a laugh as well.

The only other comment I have for now is why, why, WHY? are they looking for that "shiny gold object"? They saw it in the wall of a 6in bore hole. Now they've expanded the hole to be large enough for a diver (and cased) and think it's still in the wall somewhere? If there was anything at all, it should either have been in the bigger hole's tailings, or at the bottom buried in muck. COULD IT BE... (fill in the inevitable blank in narrator's voice). :-D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

So the latest episode... 2 min of "we're settin' up the caisson drill again", followed by 40 min of utter dribble (fast spin thru pvr) then 2 min of "let's start 'er up" (the caisson drill) followed by coming next week (nuthin... maybe 2 more min of the drill vibrating).

I'm waiting for them to discover "proof" that the "boys from Brazil" set up shop on the island and the concrete thing was actually a bunker/lab for the glorious leader.

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Elephanthead posted:

I watched the last 3 episodes yesterday and I am measurably dumber for it.

I watched the first several seasons before starting to skim episodes. I'm now dumber than a politician.

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

At this point I want them to find a large-ish chunk of wood with a drawing of kilroy on it, with the inscription underneath reading "up yours, baby". Sadly, all the gold bars will be gone. :-D

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Latest episode summary:

We've gone 10ft with our new caisson drill.

...and... skipped thru the rest of the show because... b.s. meter pegged again.

It's getting bad when the actual watchable content of the show is shorter than one of the commercial breaks.

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

thunderspanks posted:

Filming is done for 10-12 hours a day over the course of 4-6 months. There's so, so, so, so SO much footage that will never see the light of a tv screen. There are exceptions of course, but most 'work' scenes you see are in fact filmed over multiple days, if not weeks or months. Sorry to ruin the fun for you, but what you're seeing in 1-hour chunks is a highly distilled but incredibly light sampling of everything that happens.

Yea, I know. It's still frustrating to see how they "slice and dice" for TV.

What I'd really love is if it turned out to be Al Capone's REAL vault. (With Geraldo Rivera inside) :-D

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

At this point I spin through everything that's not digging the hole, especially the metal detector crap. I may be wrong, but at this point after this many seasons (and many fruitless episodes of metal detectors seeing nothing), I'm of the opinion that *someone* has started salting the sites with 'stuff' to keep the pretend going.

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Sash! posted:

I do know that the best time to go fossil hunt is after flash floods go through an area, so it makes sense that rough weather could rework something.

Especially if you salt it with stuff that just happens to fit the narrative of the moment.

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Wow that was a complete waste of an episode.

Yep. First episode I spun through the entire episode without pausing to watch once.

God, how I hate the "templar" stuff. Ever since Dan Brown it's been getting worse and worse.

I'm still waiting for the discovery channel (or history channel) show where they reveal the templars actually mounted a mission to mars and built that "face" on the planet. Of course inside is the collected works of Issac Newton plus the Egyptian Book of the Dead. Maybe even that book Bruce Campbell got in trouble over in the Evil Dead movies. COULD IT BE???

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Elephanthead posted:

Why would there be confederate gold in the great lakes? This doesn't make any sense at all. The confederacy was broke as poo poo all the time.

They probably were watching "Murdock Mysteries" from the CBC (Canadian TV) and got mixed up as to reality vs. fantasy. It's not like that's ever happened on this show before. ;-)

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

I loved the fact that for several episodes prior to the finale they were adamant that NOTHING could stop the caisson-drill except a huge thick sheet of metal.

Then it turns out to be... a rock.

Now we're told "some granite is harder than steel" and apparently the caisson/drill can't in fact "go through anything". ... or at least not this new "hard as steel" boulder.

Way to double back on stuff guys.

What a sad and pathetic season it's been. The only thing of even remote interest to me was the drilling. The dude with the metal finder was just sad. It's not like folks haven't been living on the island for some time and probably lost stuff over the years. (that or salting as I've suggested for a while now).

The last 10 min tie-in to the dimbulb con-fed-er-ate gold in the lake was also really pathetic. I guess when one "reality" show tanks you gotta double down.

It will be interesting to see if there's even a next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Right now it certainly does seem to be all about the "moichandising" as Mel Brooks once said. I'm surprised they don't shill mugs and t-shirts at the end of the show.

More treasure in that than the island, I think.

• Locked thread