Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

I've been blown up, take me to the hospital.

Glad to see metal detector guy Gary Drayton is back. Let The Curse of Next Week begin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

LaptopGun posted:

I felt really sad to see how devestated Tester and Bagley looked. Can’t believe they’re both doing this TV show. My previous comment that grieving in public as a public individual is uncomfortable. It’s uncomfortable for everyone involved. Was it me or did the show decide to double down on how close the families are by showing a lot of of involvement with Alex and the other Lagina nephew whose name I don’t remember? The show thought highly enough of the episode to send him off with Gary Drayton to dig whatever random metal detector spots. It’s not like we saw much of Alex running a digging equipment before either (maybe I forgot he did this before). Could it be I’m just overthinking things?

It must really suck to own an island that you need to transport heavy equipment back and forth over. We know the islands land is hardly the most stable landmass in the world. It looks like all the Laginas can do is construct gravel roads. The harsh winter washe out their gravel road like it wasn’t even there. Maybe Canadian laws also prevent them from paving so close to the shore. I know in true Oak Island fashion the show probably spent way to long dwelling on the development. Wonder if this will be a recurring problem during the shows run.

The updated underwater camera sure produced some nice looking videos of C1 looking for the shiny gold thing. It just struck me as odd during both the probe video and the diver video parts of the shaft walls looked shiny gold. Like maybe that’s the shiny gold thing we saw 2 years ago and the Laginas have been chasing ever since.

That was tough to watch. Tester looked quite understandably broken.

The video quality was pretty great. I hope we get to see more like that but the whole silt thing seems to make it impossible.

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

LaptopGun posted:

This seasons efforts do seem more organized than they have in the past. The Laginas have a (ever changing) grid plan of holes to dig more or less reasonable sized holes instead of picking random spots to drill giant rear end boreholes. Maybe they should have tried the Geotech guys first before last years army of diggers

Tonight was a good episode and geotech approach seems to be helping.

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

el oso posted:

Hitler? On Oak Island?? Are brothers Rick....and Marty Lagina.....and their team, one step closer to solving the mystery of Oak Island??????

One step closer but not if the Archeologist Cartel has anything to say about it. They’re still trying to shut this thing down and everyone knows the archeologists are just a front for the Illuminati. Connect the dots. Show’s over.

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

Sash! posted:

I'm going to preface this by saying that I don't think there's even actually a pit. They've been digging up a sinkhole. But, here's how theories work, especially because my personal favorite was actually covered in the last episode:

The Duc d'Anville expedition really was the largest naval force to sail from Europe to North America before the American Revolution. This was a not-kidding-around scale invasion force that terrified everyone in British North America. They had orders to retake Nova Scotia, level Boston, and raid as far south as the West Indies, and they were equipped to do so. They had 11,000 men in the fleet and 64 ships. Importantly, a mixed force fleet like this, at the time, would have carried enormous amounts of cash. You had to pay your own men, of course, but you also needed money for various purposes along the way. For instance, during the march to Yorktown, Washington's army refused to leave Maryland until they were paid one month's pay and they didn't want Washington's worthless paper money. General Rochambeau lent Washington half of his gold coins. Rochambeau's army was walking around the East Coast with so many piles of gold coins that they could finance two armies.

So, d'Anville's fleet's crossing is an abject disaster. They're months behind schedule and losing men faster than battlefield losses would do and they're not even in Canada yet. By the time they even get to Chebucto Bay, they're already down close to ten percent of their manpower. Reinforcements are brought in from Quebec and the local population, but its not enough and losses to disease are mounting. They haven't even started military operations. d'Anville eventually has a stroke and dies himself. Eventually, between deaths to disease and men sick enough to be out of action, only 60% of the manpower is available and they've lost a third of their ships. Everything is beyond failure. This is all real, verifiable, actual events that really happened.

Now, in this context, the idea is that the captains are sitting around being like "we are completely hosed." They're still going to mount whatever operations they can (one will go so badly in the PLANNING PHASE that the commander tries to kill himself), but they have way more money than they ever need and are rapidly losing the ability to defend or just plain not lose it to the bottom of Chebucto Bay. Sending it back to France is untenable: you could lose it in the crossing and sending it back before the rest of the fleet returns means you are sending word that you have failed. So, logically, you've got to hide it somewhere on land. Pick out somewhere quiet in the area you're operating in (in case you need to get it back soon), dig a hole, put the money down there, and swear the officers to secrecy. You don't have to worry too much about the enlisted men, because they're probably not making it home anyhow.

Within a month, the entire invasion is called off and everyone sails for home. It is not outside the realm of possibility that everyone involved in burying the fleet's treasury is now dead or just lost track of where, exactly, they buried it. Besides, you can't go back for it anyhow. Your failure was so massive that you can't attempt a retrieval in hostile territory. Your attempts to safeguard it means you lost it. Good work.

Over time, like sunglasses left on a bus bench, no one knows where it went.

:golfclap:
This was a good read.

I've been wondering about the metal from the end of last season as well. My assumption is that it was just more "searcher garbage", like the wood they found earlier in the season.

• Locked thread