Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?
Let's keep this party going! Lake Lamode seems to be pretty easy to clear out, though I think we're gonna wind up leaving a handful behind...

Part 15: "I'm Sorry, I've Got Caviar" | 075 | Lake Lamode, Lake Kingdom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAMTArutb04

Part 16: "Kelp Me" | 085 | Lake Lamode, Lake Kingdom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rV7AnVgFjI

ricdesi fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Would the boss of this area be called the Loch Dress monster?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, you cleaned this place out. That's some good collectathon instincts. Some... thonstincts?

I think at the end Talkatoo was telling you about another moon in that flower-bounce area where you died a whole bunch? That's generally true of any place with its own load screen - there's a secret or a harder version of the minigame.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Every challenge area has 2 moons in it. One at the end of the stage and a secret one.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Glazius posted:

Man, you cleaned this place out. That's some good collectathon instincts. Some... thonstincts?

I think at the end Talkatoo was telling you about another moon in that flower-bounce area where you died a whole bunch? That's generally true of any place with its own load screen - there's a secret or a harder version of the minigame.

I think at 17:12 on part 15, left side of the screen. Hard to tell, but I don't think something would just jut out there for no reason.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Bruceski posted:

Would the boss of this area be called the Loch Dress monster?

ooooooooof, that deserves a golf clap

Glazius posted:

Thank you! Yeah, as soon as I got my hands on it, I was out for clearing the whole drat map if I could.

Glazius posted:

As a matter of fact, he was!

Part 17: "I Repressed It All" | 089 | Lake Lamode, Lake Kingdom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hz1KOB5d5I

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ricdesi posted:

ooooooooof, that deserves a golf clap

Thank you! Yeah, as soon as I got my hands on it, I was out for clearing the whole drat map if I could.

As a matter of fact, he was!

Part 17: "I Repressed It All" | 087 | Lake Lamode, Lake Kingdom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hz1KOB5d5I

Don't worry about the big cubes you find in the worlds, you can't do anything with them until the post game. Related to that, I believe it is literally impossible to get every moon in a world on your first visit (plus there are also closed off sections that you can't reach in any other way than by going in through a painting found in another world).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, I had that pillar moon pegged for the one on top the water shaft, the only one without a portico on. Good exploring, and I look forward to what you pull off next level.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Glazius posted:

Man, I had that pillar moon pegged for the one on top the water shaft, the only one without a portico on. Good exploring, and I look forward to what you pull off next level.

Yeah, honestly I don't think I ever would have found that without the Moon's name, that was absolutely ridiculous (and like... the least assuming one there.)

And now, we reach the second act of the game! Or rather, the "midpoint chunk" as we're sort of calling it. Time to speak now, or forever hold our peace!

Part 18: "Battle of the Hats, Bitches" | 092 | Nimbus Area, Cloud Kingdom / Forgotten Isle, Lost Kingdom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYfOve2Svec

So sidebar, I'm actually on vacation until the end of next week (hopping on a cruise! gonna be a good time), but videos should still be going up uninterrupted. I don't know that I'll be able to jump on each day to update the thread, but I will try to drop in periodically if I can't. Super Mario Odyssey will in fact be the only series we're expecting to run through next week (and next week is entirely dedicated to the kingdom after Lost Kingdom, it's a real treat!), so it should be rad.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

[quote="ricdesi" post=""47866537"](and next week is entirely dedicated to the kingdom after Lost Kingdom, it's a real treat!), so it should be rad.
[/quote]
Whatever other side quests you do, make sure to do the mayor's stuff. It's worth it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Boxing gloves? Geez, Cappy, you've been holding out on us.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Greetings from Tostarena! Er, I mean Cozumel! Decided to hop on and update the thread before I get ready to meet up with folks, and ironically the week I'm spending outside the US is the week we land in the Metro Kingdom at Mayor Pauline's New Donk City. Lindsay's off to a bit of a rocky start, but there may be salvation waiting ahead...

Part 19: "The World's Stupidest Dragon" | 102 | Forgotten Isle, Lost Kingdom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJdJuP_ta0Q

Part 20: "Not the Best at Games" | 107 | Forgotten Isle, Lost Kingdom / New Donk City, Metro Kingdom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulX1bb8h8JU

Part 21: "Real Humans" | 109 | New Donk City, Metro Kingdom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj_D8AnNYNo

ricdesi fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 15, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like that the purple coins for this area are Carmen Dollars, each of which will be worth exactly 5 Mushroom Kingdom coins, which is the rate Toadsworth will set when she steals their castle.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I like how Pauline apparently dosent remember who Mario is.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

I still can't tell if she doesn't recognize him, or if it's just that she's so distracted with all the city's problems that she's not really acknowledging him much. She does seem to be at least somewhat familiar with him later on, so... who knows?

Anyway, I heard the "Jump-Rope Genius" Power Moon was supposed to be one of the harder ones in the game. ...oops? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Part 22: "No Wonder You're Winning" | 115 | New Donk City, Metro Kingdom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5TMI9ygsFw

Part 23: "What's Wrong with Taking the Back Street?" | 124 | New Donk City, Metro Kingdom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCv2LBMwg40

ricdesi fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 15, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Of course the boss of the retro world is a centipede. Are there space invaders too?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
God drat, between Jump-Rope Genius, the skyscraper climb, and the world's highest cannonball, you were ON FIRE out there.

Now you just have to master the hat dive (cap hold, dive on it, cap hold, dive at it, but you can't catch the second one) and you've got the skills to pay all manner of bills.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
That cannonball was fantastic. It was all worth it for that.

I gotta say, though, I'm with Lindsey on this- all of the running around on girders makes me legit nervous. I'm totally fine with jumping around on all kinda fantasy bullshit a million miles in the sky, but being up on actual human structures looking down hundreds of feet and more puts a wrench in my stomach every time.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I just binged through this, and what a fun LP! It's great listening to the backseat players get frustrated. The sad part is that as a viewer, I can't backseat game, keep noticing stuff and going ughhh :D I can't believe you didn't try to hat the parked taxi!

I loved the design of the city world, it's so god drat tall and with the no-fall-damage-mechanic, the player is actively encouraged to do crazy stunts like the ones you pulled. Great stuff.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Bruceski posted:

Of course the boss of the retro world is a centipede. Are there space invaders too?

Oh wow, that's PERFECT. Wouldn't mind a little Pac-Man kicking around in there, either.

Glazius posted:

God drat, between Jump-Rope Genius, the skyscraper climb, and the world's highest cannonball, you were ON FIRE out there.

Now you just have to master the hat dive (cap hold, dive on it, cap hold, dive at it, but you can't catch the second one) and you've got the skills to pay all manner of bills.

Pretty much the next thing I'm working on, now that I know how it's supposed to work. Interrupting a Ground Pound seems super unnatural, but we'll see how it goes.

AbusePuppy posted:

That cannonball was fantastic. It was all worth it for that.

I gotta say, though, I'm with Lindsey on this- all of the running around on girders makes me legit nervous. I'm totally fine with jumping around on all kinda fantasy bullshit a million miles in the sky, but being up on actual human structures looking down hundreds of feet and more puts a wrench in my stomach every time.

My favorite N64 story is the day I got it for Christmas, and my dad had to leave the room because racing around on Rainbow Road was making him nauseous. I may have used that to gain an edge in some races, but I'll never tell~

Rappaport posted:

I just binged through this, and what a fun LP! It's great listening to the backseat players get frustrated. The sad part is that as a viewer, I can't backseat game, keep noticing stuff and going ughhh :D I can't believe you didn't try to hat the parked taxi!

I loved the design of the city world, it's so god drat tall and with the no-fall-damage-mechanic, the player is actively encouraged to do crazy stunts like the ones you pulled. Great stuff.

In regard to that spoiler, I gave Sarah a copy of the game a couple weeks ago and happened to be peeking when she did that, WAS NOT EXPECTING THAT.

And yeah, New Donk City feels like a really awesome playground where you can really stretch your legs, I love it!

Speaking of, let's get us that midpoint reward we're all waiting for!

Part 24: "Totally Not Gonna Make It" | 133 | New Donk City, Metro Kingdom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNusuHsuzCs

Part 25: "A Traditional Festival" | 142 | New Donk City, Metro Kingdom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwaAjYkignk

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

One touch for that song, in the "Odyssey, ya see" bridge the backing music is the original DK stage 1 music, and during it Pauline's dance is her original sprite animation.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Does it feel like this is the final Mario game to anyone else? It really seems like a finale to me for some reason, and I can't put my finger on it.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004
FYI: you can run in the 2d mario stages, by holding "Y". right now you can get through without needing it, but there are some moons in later worlds that you'll need to use run + jump to get

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Dreadwroth posted:

Does it feel like this is the final Mario game to anyone else? It really seems like a finale to me for some reason, and I can't put my finger on it.

It feels like a summation, which is often what happens during a finale. Also there's this exciting new character who is Mario's talking hat, and when has that ever gone well?

The thing is, though, this is arguably the first Mario game made by people who grew up playing Mario. They might just be putting in everything they like.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The Mario franchise makes way too much money for them to end it here. There'll be more.

I'm just wondering if Nintendo can keep up these huuuuge gameworlds like BotW and Odyssey. I really have no idea what's next. Zelda is even harder to predict than Mario though.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm sure Nintendo will be making Mario games until the end of time, it's nice that the gimmick they chose for this game works so well.
I'm also curious about what the hell they can do next for both Mario and Zelda.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Have you decided whether you'll be 100%ing it or not?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

ricdesi posted:

My favorite N64 story is the day I got it for Christmas, and my dad had to leave the room because racing around on Rainbow Road was making him nauseous. I may have used that to gain an edge in some races, but I'll never tell~

Yeah, and that's what's weird. I can run up and down stuff all day long at all angles no problem- I used to do basically the same thing to people when I showed off the old Playstation Ghost in the Shell game, which allowed to you scale any and all walls at speed and rotate around however you wanted. Rotations don't bother me at all, but jumping around extreme heights in "realistic" games does.

The Festival was pretty adorable, though the background audio doesn't come through very well for me at least; I had to watch another video to actually hear the song and all. Pauline's face next to all the other NPCs definitely treads well into uncanny valley.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Bruceski posted:

One touch for that song, in the "Odyssey, ya see" bridge the backing music is the original DK stage 1 music, and during it Pauline's dance is her original sprite animation.

I did catch the DK theme in the back (I think the bassist is practicing it when you find him earlier on, too) -- when we swing back through, if there's a way for us to do the festival again, we'll keep an eye out for that! I definitely wanna see her pose.

D. Ebdrup posted:

Have you decided whether you'll be 100%ing it or not?

Unsure, but leaning toward yes. For now, we're just gonna aim for beating the game. Postgame/100%ing is on the table, but it'll depend where things are at for us by then.

AbusePuppy posted:

Yeah, and that's what's weird. I can run up and down stuff all day long at all angles no problem- I used to do basically the same thing to people when I showed off the old Playstation Ghost in the Shell game, which allowed to you scale any and all walls at speed and rotate around however you wanted. Rotations don't bother me at all, but jumping around extreme heights in "realistic" games does.

The Festival was pretty adorable, though the background audio doesn't come through very well for me at least; I had to watch another video to actually hear the song and all. Pauline's face next to all the other NPCs definitely treads well into uncanny valley.

See, I'm still on the other side of the fence -- all those New Donkers (???) look loving weeeeird in the vicinity of "Mario universe" characters like Mario and Pauline.

...oh god, drat it, more swimming.

Part 26: "Abolish Ice" | 147 | Bubblaine, Seaside Kingdom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLbGxBgqcRY

Part 27: "Clinically Adorable" | 154 | Bubblaine, Seaside Kingdom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO5Kadw-UbU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
One of my favorite water levels in video games is Undertow, in Ristar. I don't think it actually slowed you down much at all, and you could just mash on A to jet in any direction. It was a way to give you more maneuverability, and I think as long as you've got a Cheep-Cheep to hat, that's what both of the water levels here have been.

...I also like how on the world map they're called kingdoms, but you're going to a specific place in each of them. Fossil Falls in the Waterfall Kingdom, Tostarena in the Sand Kingdom, Steam Gardens in the Wooded Kingdom, and so on. You could make a Mario Odyssey 2 just by going to Donk Francisco and Perrier-by-the-Sea and such.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Once I got the hang of controlling those squid guys, this whole kingdom started feeling like Mario Sunshine 2. I don't know why I didn't spend more time here.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

I would absolutely adore a sequel that explores nearby areas in each kingdom a little more. When I was labeling where we went in all these, I wasn't sure whether it would have different areas per kingdom, but they could definitely get away with some expansion.

Part 28: "Macramé for the Criminally Insane" | 162 | Bubblaine, Seaside Kingdom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRjG7V-zrWw

Part 29: "No Pressure, But Don't gently caress Up" | 167 | Bubblaine, Seaside Kingdom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1B7nda7NEA

Part 30: "A Game Entirely About Moons" | 176 | Bubblaine, Seaside Kingdom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nS64aAQWCU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
How does a goomba lady get up a ledge with spikes going crazy all around it?

...did her last boyfriend-stack leave her there? Jerks.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
She was born, lives, and will die on that tiny ledge. It's sad really.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

I... I never thought of that before... my god...

Maybe she grew there. Maybe when she ran away, she tore up the pods that let her live. She will die.

Part 31: "Purple-rear end Ego" | 180 | Shiveria, Snow Kingdom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj1KnYEPNZE

Part 32: "What? Oh, Goocamole | 185 | Shiveria, Snow Kingdom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo1PnPn_9nc

Part 33: "The Bound Bowl of Let's Plays" | 190 | Shiveria, Snow Kingdom / Steam Gardens, Wooded Kingdom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH92fKydxIw

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Glazius posted:

How does a goomba lady get up a ledge with spikes going crazy all around it?

...did her last boyfriend-stack leave her there? Jerks.

She learned from the same master as Captain Toad.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The Bound Bowl is an interesting exercise in ricochets. Looks like it might be fun to time attack.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Yeah, I think we'll have to go back and see if there is an extra prize for beating it particularly quickly. But in the meantime, it's time for us to keep pressing forward, on into THE HORRIBLE NIGHTMARE COUNTRY OF SENTIENT DINNERWARE

Part 34: "I'm Out of Hats" | 199 | Shiveria, Snow Kingdom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoptPtBdM1w

Part 35: "We'll Always Dick Together" | 208 | Shiveria, Snow Kingdom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEtwpyHPyRw

Part 36: "Go, Go, Tomatoes!" | 213 | Mount Volbono, Luncheon Kingdom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEnNfAyIypU

Part 37: "Stop Starting, Start Finishing" | 221 | Mount Volbono, Luncheon Kingdom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-39hQmpQ4s

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, this place is very Lethal Lava Land. Except technicolored, and with them good old Bethesda Mountains that are really more just suggestions when you get down to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

I think we're all still in Mario 64 mode with this lava -- every time we get hit with it, the instinct is that we're going to run around like maniacs, even though that's... super not a thing, oy.

At least we're continuing the push forward!

Part 38: "Salt in Your Womb" | 225 | Mount Volbono, Luncheon Kingdom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wQ2w_YFzrM

Part 39: "You Are Meat" | 231 | Mount Volbono, Luncheon Kingdom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7Nw2_F72Zs

Part 40: "If I Stop Moving, I Get Sad" | 236 | Mount Volbono, Luncheon Kingdom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsgm_O8ZfNk

ricdesi fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 2, 2018

• Locked thread