Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...well, that was surprisingly seasonal. Nightmare Before Christmas as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, uh. ...Jurassic Park as gently caress?

I'm probably going to run out of horror movies pretty quick.

Anyway, moons are kind of... both power stars from 64 and green stars from 3D World? Some of them are plot things and change the level, some of them just hang out.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, it's past Halloween so horror movies can go sit down.

Cujo as fuuuuuuck

Also, congratulations on exchanging money for goods and services! The true Fashion Souls starts here.

Tokatoo is your grade-Z hint system. Every moon has a name, though some are more descriptive than others, and he'll just... tell you one. It's free, and worth every penny.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The Bullet Bills are a pretty neat possession. It's a neat form of flight that lets them still keep using verticality as an obstacle.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Infinite yawning voids. Her one weakness.

Seriously, though, that's actually a pretty strong obstacle gauntlet. Very 3D world, except they never let you learn it in safety. I suppose a 10-coin penalty makes them unafraid to kill you.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
"Can I warp between these?"

:ssh: Open up your map.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 6, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Pelting across the desert and you run snoot-first into a cactus. Ain't that always the way.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...I don't know why surf guitar actually works for this level's theming, but it does.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Why did you post a video that reveals the secret flower field's secret location? Didn't you listen to anything those poor robots had to say?!

(panicking robots are so adorable)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
At this point I feel I should mention Mario has made great strides in the development of butt sonar.

(ground-pound and nearby invisible things will show up)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, you cleaned this place out. That's some good collectathon instincts. Some... thonstincts?

I think at the end Talkatoo was telling you about another moon in that flower-bounce area where you died a whole bunch? That's generally true of any place with its own load screen - there's a secret or a harder version of the minigame.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, I had that pillar moon pegged for the one on top the water shaft, the only one without a portico on. Good exploring, and I look forward to what you pull off next level.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Boxing gloves? Geez, Cappy, you've been holding out on us.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like that the purple coins for this area are Carmen Dollars, each of which will be worth exactly 5 Mushroom Kingdom coins, which is the rate Toadsworth will set when she steals their castle.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
God drat, between Jump-Rope Genius, the skyscraper climb, and the world's highest cannonball, you were ON FIRE out there.

Now you just have to master the hat dive (cap hold, dive on it, cap hold, dive at it, but you can't catch the second one) and you've got the skills to pay all manner of bills.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Dreadwroth posted:

Does it feel like this is the final Mario game to anyone else? It really seems like a finale to me for some reason, and I can't put my finger on it.

It feels like a summation, which is often what happens during a finale. Also there's this exciting new character who is Mario's talking hat, and when has that ever gone well?

The thing is, though, this is arguably the first Mario game made by people who grew up playing Mario. They might just be putting in everything they like.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
One of my favorite water levels in video games is Undertow, in Ristar. I don't think it actually slowed you down much at all, and you could just mash on A to jet in any direction. It was a way to give you more maneuverability, and I think as long as you've got a Cheep-Cheep to hat, that's what both of the water levels here have been.

...I also like how on the world map they're called kingdoms, but you're going to a specific place in each of them. Fossil Falls in the Waterfall Kingdom, Tostarena in the Sand Kingdom, Steam Gardens in the Wooded Kingdom, and so on. You could make a Mario Odyssey 2 just by going to Donk Francisco and Perrier-by-the-Sea and such.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
How does a goomba lady get up a ledge with spikes going crazy all around it?

...did her last boyfriend-stack leave her there? Jerks.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The Bound Bowl is an interesting exercise in ricochets. Looks like it might be fun to time attack.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, this place is very Lethal Lava Land. Except technicolored, and with them good old Bethesda Mountains that are really more just suggestions when you get down to it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah, I see. Your desire to succeed at the game is running into conflicts with the perfectly normal human desire to SET A CLOWN ON FIRE.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The completely inexplicable zen garden and souvenir shop was a pretty amazing interlude.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how Mario's just gotten dunked on, like, four times so far, and this is the least impressive dunk. Then again he was scrambling to get on the ship in the first place, and Big Bowser is leaning towards a more "never plays an ace when a two will do" mindset.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ricdesi posted:

I LOVE the SM64 Bowser reference, but... man, the song in general feels WAY out of character for the rest of the game, I can't put my finger on it. What a hell of an ending all around though, drat.

Well, of course. It's not Mario's soundtrack. He's basically taking a whirlwind tour through Bowser's mind with the Capture, the same way he's been doing to everybody.

So. You're (basically) Bowser. Princess Peach is sitting on your shoulder and she wants you to break everything. What do you do? Throw on your favorite EDM jam and run around inside your mind screaming excitedly.

And yeah, break everything, of course.

I love that this is where they dump you in the postgame. For two hundred moons, you have been asking, who is Mario 64? And now you have your answer. I am Mario 64. I am the game who loves its play.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I wonder about a couple of things with that sun inlay. There is light pouring into that room, it's just from the stained glass Peach.

Or you could try looking up at the center of the dome a couple more times. ...or maybe after you clear some more refights? I know levels don't tend to mutate until you get a moon in a cutscene.

It looks like there's another trick from Mario 64 that you can pull off here as well, unless there's some way Goombas can long-jump that I don't know about.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I was wondering when you would remember what rocket flowers were for.

For reference, the racing koopas all have your approximate moveset and will even throw their hats to do things your hat can do.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, as what's hopefully not too spoilery of a hint, there are several post-game moons that require you to look at something in particular with the binoculars. All those moons point to the binoculars, rather than what you're supposed to look at, so as not to ruin the entire challenge.

It is nice to see Peach out and about on her own terms, for all that the Toads are still flipping the gently caress out about it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I did not expect Cappy to sound off when you spotted Peach and Tiara through the binoculars. That was a nice touch.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ultrabindu posted:

I can't help thinking that the post game should have been you playing as Peach going on adventures with Tiara ghost in the Odyssey. Mario's story, such as it was, is done.
At least in Mario RPG after you rescue Peach she becomes a party member.

I'd like to see what kind of moves they give Peach in one of these more acrobatic Mario games, as opposed to the SMB2 flavor she got in the more powerup-focused 3D World.

Also, drat. Hint Toad has the potential of being a pretty serious end-game coin sink. Unless you've got some amiibo.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Phew, this is an interesting can of worms you've opened.

Risk Legacy and Pandemic Legacy are the two most notable legacy games out there. Risk is actually playable forever - after a certain point you've unlocked everything and modded the map as far as it will go, but it still functions as your own game of Risk, and most of the variance you can introduce gets counterbalanced by a setup drafting system. Pandemic is designed to be strictly progressive over a series of 12 "months", and there's a season 2 out there now as well.

The phrase you were looking for is "living card game" - Netrunner's the most notable one of those but there are others, like Lord of the Rings and Arkham Horror. (There's also a board game called Arkham Horror. Quite different, more expensive, kind of fiddly.) A big box of cards you're building decks from with certain restrictions, though Netrunner pulls this kind of BS move where you have to buy three boxes if you want to use the regulation three copies of the one-per-box card. That may have changed later on, though.

A "deck-building game" is another thing entirely, your reference example being Dominion, where you start with a deck of basic cards and buy better cards to put into your deck, and either it's a market row where you pick and mix as you can from a giant master deck or, as in Dominion, there are fixed supplies of all the cards and the strategy involves seeing good interactions in the cards that are out there. Dominion balances things out by making points generally dead cards in your deck; other games will provide other things to shoot for than purchasing power, like Star Realms, where you're trying to damage race your opponent, or Clank!, where you're trying to move around a dungeon, fend off monsters, and not make noise.

Or if you want to get super meta there's Millennium Blades, the CCG simulator board game where you and your friends are playing some kid and his friends playing the collectible card game Millennium Blades. You buy booster packs for the single worthwhile card that's actually inside them - the filler cards in your deck are represented by a "deck box" which tends to give you a more static bonus - and try to both build the best six-card super combo you can and the most complete and impressive collection of a single element or creature type. Every game shuffles together the main deck with twelve booster packs in three different price tiers, so you can rotate different sets in and out from game to game.

(Also keep in mind that the moneybag guy spits coins like crazy when you shake the joycons. This will be important.)

Glazius fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 15, 2018

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how the aquatic types will just be hangin' out in casual water now and again. That's fun to see.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I have to admit, I cheered when you just turned a corner in the strange part of the level and found those last three goddamn purple coins.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I appreciate that they've turned pretty much every outfit into a serviceable 8-bit version of itself. Even if they're probably cheating the palette to some degree or other, that's still some dedication.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
She's no Sphynx, but that's an interesting little quiz.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, this kingdom isn't a patch on the infinite sea on the horizon. Everything in Odyssey is a bit denser than it seems, but this one has that contrast to play against so looking down takes you halfway to vertigo.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how Koopa Freerunning serves as an education in its own way. (the gold guy was holding down the hat button to keep his hat out and drill through the wooden crates)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I saw the pools coming up to the wall of crates too. I think you can take an octojet all the way up there.

I do wonder if that distant land is just to give you some indication that the lava is rising without you having to look down to see it coming up at you.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, the important part to boing racing is knowing when bouncing will rocket you down the course and when you're just wasting time going up and down.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, bouncing with amazing force straight upward can be a real race killer. Was the guy who won that cup in Luigi Green? Did he give you a death stare on the way past?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Okay, that five-second progression on the basic freerunning was glorious. Realizing you were diving directly toward lava, a frantic hat save, and then you hook a fireball by chance.

• Locked thread