Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Games are so utterly unpredictable at every point now, with all the returning players and people picking stuff to get tokens. You'll have a game with someone that's 0/9 and another guy that's like 2/15 and somehow they get carried by your questionable mid hero that isn't even the top net worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
sometimes the enemy hoodwink will feed your team 6 raipers

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

TOOT BOOT posted:

Games are so utterly unpredictable at every point now, with all the returning players and people picking stuff to get tokens. You'll have a game with someone that's 0/9 and another guy that's like 2/15 and somehow they get carried by your questionable mid hero that isn't even the top net worth.

yeah it owns. the purest form of dota

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

IcePhoenix posted:

I like when my team understands the assignment after getting run over by a bristleback for the first half of the game.

I'm the 4th player there and spent teamfights making the enemy luna and/or lina cry as Razor

(Yes, this is turbo)

Were we in the same game just a few minutes ago? I was the Bristleback,but as I loaded in my PC jacked up (my fault for gaming on Linux). I came back in three minutes. Me and the Mid razor did pretty good catching up and stretched it to 80 min. BB sort of falls off that late though since I was 6 slotted so everyone just built Silver Edges and dealt with me. Our LS didn't realize he was carry so we'd be five manning down the lane, and he'd decide to go farm a few camps instead of infesting the Razor and letting him go in. It was miserable.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
The games now do remind me of pre-ranked or wc3 pubs. Unfortunately it has not played out to my MMR advantage, and the unranked games I played were completely stupid, but I did finish the midgate map today.

Really fun event, got to learn things about heroes I don’t usually play much, and the riki skill effect is one of the prettiest they’ve done

emdash fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 24, 2024

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

ive been playing alot of zeus and enigma 4 and just cleaning up on people tbh

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Zeruel posted:

sometimes the enemy hoodwink will feed your team 6 raipers

The blue shell of dota

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Super-NintendoUser posted:

Were we in the same game just a few minutes ago? I was the Bristleback,but as I loaded in my PC jacked up (my fault for gaming on Linux). I came back in three minutes. Me and the Mid razor did pretty good catching up and stretched it to 80 min. BB sort of falls off that late though since I was 6 slotted so everyone just built Silver Edges and dealt with me. Our LS didn't realize he was carry so we'd be five manning down the lane, and he'd decide to go farm a few camps instead of infesting the Razor and letting him go in. It was miserable.

Well considering my game ended in about 25 minutes (because turbo), was yesterday afternoon, and that I, the Razor, was not on the same team as bristleback, I am going to take an educated guess and say no we were not in the same game :v:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I've started seeing a lot of Lifestealers on my team. I'd like for once when they infest me to say what they want me to do, go in or escape? I never know and I always seem to do the wrong thing and they flame afterwards.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I've started seeing a lot of Lifestealers on my team. I'd like for once when they infest me to say what they want me to do, go in or escape? I never know and I always seem to do the wrong thing and they flame afterwards.

I love when they infest me, the level 7 AA, and expect me to run in.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
What's a good build to use for a tanky Offlane Viper? I see a ton of Bristles, so I'd like to learn how to counter him. When I'm P4 I always take Hoodwink and save my ult for BB, but I think there's something to Viper instead.

For tank, I see a lot of people go power treads -> blade mail, maybe Eternal Shroud fits somewhere here? Whenever I play Viper I feel like I have no mana and die too quick, so I'm not sure how to make him work.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I always like dragon Lance because it's really strong, shroud will solve your mana issues if they got some magic coming your way

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

the main problem with viper is that he's basically stationary, so your positioning needs to be really good.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

What's a good build to use for a tanky Offlane Viper? I see a ton of Bristles, so I'd like to learn how to counter him. When I'm P4 I always take Hoodwink and save my ult for BB, but I think there's something to Viper instead.

For tank, I see a lot of people go power treads -> blade mail, maybe Eternal Shroud fits somewhere here? Whenever I play Viper I feel like I have no mana and die too quick, so I'm not sure how to make him work.

2x wraith band + mage slayer + treads + pike (in some order)

the mage slayer gives you mana

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Universal stats viper rules. Get an aghs and skadi and puke poison everywhere

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Don't try and counter him by being tanky, your ult is more than enough to ruin him- focus on doing damage through the break period

my build is honestly wraith band, boots, dragon lance then a midas or a maelstrom if it's a good mjolnir game (illusions, armor). gently caress your teammates whining about "hurr offlane midas" you do more than enough damage with your ult and Q to carry fights until midas has kicked in and you finish your pike, get a manta, skadi maybe if it fits. basically any stat items you feel work best in preparation for level 25 universal

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 25, 2024

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I just had a hysterical game as Offlane viper against a first pick bristle. They also had a safelane jugg, I ruined his day, I think he got 20 last hits all laning phase.

The rest of the game was a stomp, so it wasn't a good learning experience, but I did: casual basi -> treads -> dragon lance -> pike (they had an NP so a force staff was super helpful) -> manta -> shard and just absolutely walloped them. I still felt like I was dying too quick. They had nothing though, so it was ok. I ended 20/4 even though I died fountain diving twice in the last two minutes since they just wanted to us to end, we had megas and only one tower down so I was just clowning.

It was hysterical seeing BB run in, get broken, panic, and try to run.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Offlane 3 position is usually about countering and minimizing the hc and other team in general. Sometimes it's ok to go the same build every game if the hero is strong enough but often you'll have to make some item choices depending on both the enemy AND your own team's comp. Does my team need me to be tanky and initiate or build more dmg?

I like Viper offlane and mid, he's dependable dmg and tanky but as others have mentioned, he's very slow and is easily out of position. I win a lot of fights by manning up and fighting if I'm caught out. Otherwise, spam and stack your poison right click as much as possible when you're not right clicking creeps. Use the aoe to help deny easy farm during laning, and lvl the passive if you're against heavy magic dmg. Don't save your ult unless it's for someone like bristle or PA who needs to be broken, burn it immediately if someone is out of position and dish out the dmg.

If you're winning lane and farming well, maelstrom into gleip can help against blinkers and ppl who want to run in and out like bloodseeker, ss, or whomever. Blademail if they have a sniper, ursa, troll, lc, etc, halbred always feels good against those champs too. Force staff into hurricane to help you keep up and an escape.

I like a fairly boring start of tango + stick into 1 wraith band and treads, mangos early if you want em. If you're zoning them well, you can go right into a quick dragon lance and really dominate the lane. Main thing for me is like I said earlier, decide quickly if you're going to fight and go all in.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.
My friend I queue with who almost always plays support branched out a little and started playing some viper. He also hates playing against bristle (gets mowed down a lot as a hard support who doesn't always have great positioning) and he is just loving being able to just melt Bristle from afar.

I have loved viper for years (even counting my 7 year haitus) so the ult break change was a delightful surprise for me.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

In my mind viper has to be built very specifically from game to game. As others have mentioned positioning is key and though you won't see vipers build it because they play greedy a force staff after boots and some kind of farming/ defence item is almost always warranted. Not only can it help your team but it can secure kills for the incredibly not mobile viper.

Blade mail- if you are against other ranged carries or squishy heroes is almost always value.

Dragon lance - greedy but good. People like it as a first item but there are usually better choices.

Mjollnir lvl one whatever it's called- if you are up get this for farming WITHOUT using mana viper has mana issues all game long. It's great to be able to take camps with no W.

Boots- if up I recommend going an Early tp boots rather than treads. Otherwise treads.

Atos- great buy in a losing lane or against mobile hero, keep them in your poison pit. Builds into glepnir for farming and fighting.

Mage slayer - still good after nerfs for casting enemies.

Pipe or greedy MR item - often needs to be considered. It is your job to get pipe if team needs it despite native MR.

Aghs- is also a movement item let's you go up cliffs or down. Should not get bought before 3-4th item.

You absolutely have to keep the carry down, viper doesn't play well from behind. After that look at whoever is doing well on enemy team and build against their highest kill count hero so you can survive and hopefully trade with them.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

My friend I queue with who almost always plays support branched out a little and started playing some viper. He also hates playing against bristle (gets mowed down a lot as a hard support who doesn't always have great positioning) and he is just loving being able to just melt Bristle from afar.

I have loved viper for years (even counting my 7 year haitus) so the ult break change was a delightful surprise for me.

I love that change, because it makes the break way more useful. All the heroes you want to break just walk out of it. It was useful to have more uptime, but it's better to have it be limited use but more impactful.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I got a blind Sharpshooter kill today on an invis shadowblade Drow, we were losing the game hard and that really became a rallying point for a W. It was possibly the greatest thing I'll ever do in DOTA2 so I'm just going to hang it up, Guardian 2, 1k MMR later nerds.

human of smells
Aug 25, 2023
everytime i play viper i check if theres any pure damage on the enemy team, if there isnt i just buy nothing but armor and magic resitance items. shroud, slayer, shivas, ac, lotus. just become godzilla.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So did you know that Dota2 hero Bristleback's E will proc on fountain damage? Turns out radiant last game didn't either. I sat in foutain and got a rampage, i wiped them, and then one by one they respawned, died in fountain, bought back and died again.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Anyone have Veno tips? Used to play him a little like ten years ago and i ran him a few times in turbo this week and just ate poo poo. I’d get some assists but I was dying so goddamn much. Most of the guides have him go do a pavise but i fee like I need some kind of early mobility option desperately.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Veno is hard for me, too. I either dominate, zone, and kill to a solid lead. Or i never get off the ground and i'm a skinny lovely liability

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

So did you know that Dota2 hero Bristleback's E will proc on fountain damage? Turns out radiant last game didn't either. I sat in foutain and got a rampage, i wiped them, and then one by one they respawned, died in fountain, bought back and died again.

I might have had an idea yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B73SZ8LUuE

(Tobi warning)

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Stan Taylor posted:

Anyone have Veno tips? Used to play him a little like ten years ago and i ran him a few times in turbo this week and just ate poo poo. I’d get some assists but I was dying so goddamn much. Most of the guides have him go do a pavise but i fee like I need some kind of early mobility option desperately.

Don't play him in turbo lol

I go mana boots then solar crest in 99% of games unless we absolutely need a vessel and no one else can buy it. Q>W>W>E then max passive then wards, if the enemy lane is dual melee, you should win easily by just right clicking them at level 2-3 and keeping your passive on them. Pavise is ok, but the real money is in the all stats from crown for solar crest and solar crest itself, it's basically ogre's bloodlust for attack speed plus a save. I usually get a force staff after solar. Usually once you get 1 point in wards you're either kicking the enemy out of lane, roaming, or losing lane in which case you can sneak a few jungle camps with wards pretty safely and get a neutral item. After solar and force, I try to get drums then boots of bearing as well.

You should have wards up wherever you think the enemy is coming from which makes up for mobility, if they rotate to you, they get slowed and their blinks canceled. If you go solar, force, drums you're pretty fast, can force staff in or out of fights, and you have like a 120 attack speed buff for your carry.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Plank Walker posted:

I think this is a lot to do with it lol. I am not used to whatever the turbo meta is.

Thanks for the rest of the advice though. Might try him again tonight for my slithering token.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
My veno tip is to use the wards whenever they are off cooldown to build a web of vision around the area your in, especially if you're on the offensive across the river. It's a great anti-gank mechanism to catch a blink dagger user with a ward then just waddle away.

Also ward farming the jungle is very easy and effective.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Yeah, I haven't touched turbo in a while, but I think Veno's strengths don't fit with that mode. He enables the team and wins vision wars and can keep a wave pushed by cutting it with wards and slinking away when they show up to depush.

He's not a jump in, ult, and die guy anymore though, you can cast all your stuff from the back or sidelines, isolate/chase away their supports and backliners, save your teammates with solar/force, etc. You're not taking anyone down from 100-0 on your own, but the longer you're alive the more impact you'll have

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Stan Taylor posted:

Thanks for the rest of the advice though. Might try him again tonight for my slithering token.

Just get one from the snake charmer

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Plank Walker posted:

Agreed on don't play Veno in Turbo.
I never play turbo, but IIRC that mode generally just wants heroes that can scale really well since gold is so plentiful. And his attack range sucks and passive doesn't stack unlike Viper's so he doesn't scale very well at all.

In real DOTA, I tend to go Urn --> Arcanes --> Fluffy Hat --> Vessel --> Force Staff. Then I tend to diverge from there based on what the team needs. Veno's kinda one of those heroes where you can kind of just build whatever and it's probably good on him.

Set wards up to protect your rear to prevent enemies from wrapping around, or off to the side for forward vision. Be mindful not to just feed enemies free gold in lane with 'em.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.
I really like to end up with boots of bearing with Veno for the speed/team boost but I also don't play him a ton. One guide I saw said power treads which I'd probably avoid, it's gotta be end up with greaves or end up with BoB.

The real pro-tip is pair yourself with viper, go offlane, and tilt the enemy P1 really loving hard.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Veno owns bones I like to go mek when I play 5 or drums like you guys. Aghs is my favorite but I know it's greedy.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I have extremely mixed results rushing something like Solar Crest on any hero. Seems to go better on Ogre because it comes a little later and you have a better feel whether your mid and/or carry are solid. It just feels like it accelerates the process of losing if your net worth is tied up in Solar Crest and the people on your team that would benefit from it are the least effective damage dealers. Killing people feels like the best way to make the game last longer in my rank. The more people on the enemy team that die in a teamfight the more likely they are to go back to their side of the map for at least 5 minutes.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
All the guides recommend solar crest for p4 and 5s but I've never gotten it and felt like it was useful. It always just baits the core into a bad fight and then everyone dies.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
I just put it on whoever is hitting the tower, or if I pass near my carry while they're jungling, or if we're roshing/taking torm.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

IMO Solar Crest is a lot more useful as a save than as a buff, just cast it on whoever's getting focused, you can easily turn fights by giving someone 400 phys hp and 7 armor

Use it as a buff when pushing a tower (you can use it on siege creeps), map objective (tormentor/rosh) or if you're near a farming core you can give them a bit of extra efficiency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
i keep trying to use it on enemies :shobon: