Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Just had a fantastc WD game, at the end, from low ground, I placed a ward, so I saw all five grouped up, I cast a high ground Death Ward w/ Aghs right besides their top rack with the bounces I killed all their cores while they ran around in circles confused.

Herald DOTA is wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

People say anything works in lower rank tiers and this might be true if you vastly outskill the game but for your average teammate, people that pick cores that suck tend to be players that suck. I feel insanely better about a guy that picks Sniper mid than someone that picks QOP, Lina, or MK mid. Someone that picks Sniper might not be great but they're not going to be 3/11/2 either.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

What's wrong with QOP and Lina lol

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Nothing, I think TOOT is just saying those heroes have buttons and are harder to play well.

Sniper you literally just sit back and go HO HO HA HA.
He also has like the best attack animation in the game, so despite his low damage he's pretty easy to last hit with. Or even the odd deny at that MMR :v:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

flashman posted:

What's wrong with QOP and Lina lol

Just not particularly good at the moment. They're two of the lowest winrate mids in the game right now that are actually mid heroes. Pudge mid has a substantially higher winrate than either of them, and most people aren't exactly thrilled to get Pudge. And, they're not just bad in lower ranks, they have poo poo winrates in immortal too.

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 2, 2024

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Ah. I don't mind really as long as it's a useful mid and not a support or something. Sniper mid gets a groan from me most of the time if I'm in a lane on their team though (when I'm the sniper. It's great)

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
i like it when teammates pick good heroes to carry with. saves me the trouble

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

RealityWarCriminal posted:

i like it when teammates pick good heroes to carry with. saves me the trouble

Just won a game at 600 MMR with a carry Spirit Break. They had a mid oracle and he was 10/0 by 20min just feeding on our mid sniper. He stomped us until he just instantly dropped off. Like he was a menace for 30 min and then just vanished from impact and died like seven times. That was my first game against an Oracle core. It was quite an experience.

I was p5 witch doctor and at one point I chatted that this carry SB needs to stop pushing the lane and last hitting under their tower and he just told me to "play better" so I tp to mid to help support sniper since he was 0/15.
Low ranked Dota is clown shoes

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

alot of these support mid picks can do really well right up until they don't.

man is arcane blink slept on or ? I have been loving this poo poo

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

flashman posted:

alot of these support mid picks can do really well right up until they don't.

man is arcane blink slept on or ? I have been loving this poo poo

id buy it more if it was cheaper. Great item though

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Try disruptor mid. Favor Q and E. Spam Q at level 3 and try to kill. If you do kill and level up level W once to send them back to fountain. At level 6 a they can softened with a Q and die to a nuke trap ult combo. Then roam. Rush phylactery if you're kicking rear end. Get mana boots and spell range orb if you are not kicking rear end. There's a good chance you help your team dominate first half of game and then back half or late worst case scenario you have a disruptor on your team

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Play undying mid, get a big lead, gank lanes with tombstone, and become unkillable until minute 45.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Diffusal blade undys rise up

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
You guys are making suggestions in the wrong thread. Make this open-to-suggestion goon fail

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4057671

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

id buy it more if it was cheaper. Great item though
The 7 second cooldown is very good

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I had such an awful Mid today as Necro vs a Viper. I felt 100% powerless. Just get spit on any time I get close, he out-regens level 1 Heartstopper. Got denied and fell behind on levels. Zeus got an early Phylactery and would just show up and cook me.

They had so much magic damage, I'd just die if I pressed W. Somehow we fended them off long enough for the Drow to get huge, we won fight after getting Mega'd and pushed down their mid. Forced buybacks, retreat... Wait for them to get T5 Neutrals and their third Rosh. Somehow we win another fight, push down mid and actually win.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I hate facing viper mid especially when they're radiant (level 1 nether toxin can just stack that camp for them so easily while they're still in lane and I don't know how to stop it).

But it's often a win lane lose game scenario he's a fat lard it's hard for him to facilitate the side lanes if they're managing their creep

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Stack camps in the jungle and try to catch your waves to not miss out on XP and don't cross the river after a couple of levels. Don't be near the viper when he hits 6. When you hit 6 keep your eyes peeled for a chance to dunk someone with scythe in the side lanes. Keep stacking and eating creep camps in the jungle when you can't gank.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Fortunately he didn't actually seem like a good Viper, just that [I'm guessing] Viper-Necro matchup favors the former. He kept Ulting me at max range and then I'd just W and walk up high ground until it wore off.

I don't think I once stacked that camp right near the mid radiant tower, woops. I never think to do that for some reason, even though I love stacking camps as a 5.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

flashman posted:

I hate facing viper mid especially when they're radiant (level 1 nether toxin can just stack that camp for them so easily while they're still in lane and I don't know how to stop it).

But it's often a win lane lose game scenario he's a fat lard it's hard for him to facilitate the side lanes if they're managing their creep

it's insane that they go level 1 nethertoxin, let them stack the camp (or block it with a sentry) because if they're not going poison attack/corrosive skin then you're getting away with murder in that lane

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Just a point not at level one

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Man BB at low MMR is like a magic MMR button. We just had a BB that had 300k damange recieved, 161k damage dealt. He personally team wiped them solo about four times. The game went super long because we were stupid, but it was wild assuming we're done when four of us are dead, but then over the next two minutes he just kits them all over killing them again and again. We had a BH p5 that kept tracking never actually doing any damage, but he just hung back and kept tracking while BB just slayed them. I've never had so much gold in a dota game before.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Super-NintendoUser posted:

Man BB at low MMR is like a magic MMR button. We just had a BB that had 300k damange recieved, 161k damage dealt. He personally team wiped them solo about four times. The game went super long because we were stupid, but it was wild assuming we're done when four of us are dead, but then over the next two minutes he just kits them all over killing them again and again. We had a BH p5 that kept tracking never actually doing any damage, but he just hung back and kept tracking while BB just slayed them. I've never had so much gold in a dota game before.

They did an experiment the other day where the highest ranked player played alone against 5 heralds, the high rank guy went bristleback. One team had 2 kills, the other had 40 plus

https://youtu.be/j2K8hhBi8CM?si=Mq9HduU7scwXr_3q

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Lmao that poo poo was hilarious.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 4, 2024

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Yeah I dunno if it's the same Heralds that beat the solo Immortal, but these guys had a very poor strategic game plan. Also very bad hero picks too considering they had to remake the game.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm curious what's going on in my games where you look at the scoreboard after you lose trying to figure out what went wrong and your 14k hero damage hard carry is the thing that stands out like a sore thumb. A lot of times nothing seems particularly abnormal while you're playing and then it turns out they're bad at right clicking or something.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm curious what's going on in my games where you look at the scoreboard after you lose trying to figure out what went wrong and your 14k hero damage hard carry is the thing that stands out like a sore thumb. A lot of times nothing seems particularly abnormal while you're playing and then it turns out they're bad at right clicking or something.

If you want to know why you're losing from the scoreboard, the stat you're looking for is tower damage

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

There are many people in the potatoes allergic to just attacking dudes without using a skill lol

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'm confident that every time I lose it's because of my teammates. No notes on my own game play.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Of course bro, or if it was it was the wife's fault for calling etc.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

OGS-Remix posted:

Yeah I dunno if it's the same Heralds that beat the solo Immortal, but these guys had a very poor strategic game plan. Also very bad hero picks too considering they had to remake the game.

so you’re saying the herald players are bad. huh.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Have been having a nice 6 win streak with my duo partner playing 4 Magnus with 3 necrophos. Really feels like a cheat code, having empower on top of all his initiate/ counter initiate skills. I'm sure we will find someone who can punish the laning phase eventually as we MMR up.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Super-NintendoUser posted:

low mmr players are either people who don't really understand what they're supposed to be doing, or people who have been told what to do by guides and don't understand why they're doing it or how it's supposed to make them win

the first type are just kind of arbitrarily doing things that seem like they should work. attacking the other team seems like it should work, so they do it and bristle immediately kills them. they don't know why this happened, so they keep doing it forever and lose

the second type are following a preset plan that they know usually works but don't actually understand why. bristleback is a brick wall for most of these plans because you have to play loving weird around him and even if they figure out that their plan is not going to work because the porcupine man is going to sneeze them to death they don't know how to come up with a new plan

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
there need to be way more bells and whistles around killing towers or forcing rotations. or a battle arena/team deathmatch mode. i play with one friend and we alternate who's higher MMR every couple months, but he's in the "gotta get kills" mindset and it's frustrating watching him dive and die chasing an enemy he's already kicked out of lane, just get those last hits and scare them away for the next 5 min while they flame their supports for not getting a salve, you don't need to get +1 kill on the scoreboard that bad

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Plank Walker posted:

there need to be way more bells and whistles around killing towers or forcing rotations. or a battle arena/team deathmatch mode. i play with one friend and we alternate who's higher MMR every couple months, but he's in the "gotta get kills" mindset and it's frustrating watching him dive and die chasing an enemy he's already kicked out of lane, just get those last hits and scare them away for the next 5 min while they flame their supports for not getting a salve, you don't need to get +1 kill on the scoreboard that bad

getting kills is fun and getting enough of them usually makes you win so just accept that mindset as on the right track and count your blessings that he's not one of those people who naturally assumes that farming forever is the way to go because he saw an antimage achieve apotheosis in his first game and treated it like a religious epiphany

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Play Overthrow 3.0 instead, it scratches the instant gratification itch of "I want to get a broken hero build and kill people" but in a format where it's nearly impossible to be emotionally invested in the outcome.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Not played in a good few weeks - waiting for Crownfall, but last night coached a friend who always supports and wanted to expand to offlane, recommended them Death Prophet and coached them through to a 15/0/20 victory, most fun i've had in Dota for a good while !

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Coaching owns. I notice a lot more in a game when I’m not balls deep in my hero.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
playing core ftw. laning can be rough but it's easier than it looks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I can't tell if I like right click items or aghs refresher more on invoker