Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
These new patch notes are looking good, Crystal Maiden looking pretty poo poo atm but my other favorites Spirit Breaker seems stronger than before as I usually stack evasion items like halberd and solar crest anyways in 2k shitter, Clockwerk with true sight talent seems good. Might give Riki a try too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Over the past year or two the pool of viable heroes played at tournaments has kept rising with every patch. Development was probably 'finished' with the release of 7.00 and the talents system but there are going to be changes to the game no matter what to keep the game from getting stale. But this has a knock on effect with making the game more complicated and not very friendly for new players.

To fix that, today's patch saw the new -em mode which allows for shorter games and will be far better for learning and trying new things out. It's a step in the right direction but there are more poo poo that can be done to improve it. Just take a look at the dota 2 reddit and you will see a million threads asking for changes to be made, so development never stops.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Most late game viable carries suck at the first half of the game. The key is to get items that give you an edge in survival and boosts your ult utility and that item is called a basher.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Smythe posted:

maybe one day i will gain my one thousand mmr back. :thunk:

play axe

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
sounds like a fine arc warden build

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Team Admiral's response to Jimmy "DeMoN" Ho's clip of him accusing his manager of threatening him and how bootcamp conditions at TA were terrible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i263brHnp90

Such gems:

quote:

We didn’t want to air dirty laundry or drag anyone’s name through the mud, but we had to respond to the allegations that we were mistreating or manhandling our player.

quote:

According to his description, it seemed like the bootcamp was such a bad place and that he was not having a good time. We, the management, find it hard to believe since the bootcamp was a 3-story house with 3 bedrooms and 1 maid’s quarters. Jimmy had the luxury of having one room all to himself, while staff/management got one room and the other four players shared one room.

quote:

He even asked for a “happy ending massage” with the expenses to be shouldered by the management if they won all of their practice matches; so you can imagine our shock at the statement that he couldn’t bear to stay at the bootcamp. The only depression he had shared was about his ex-girlfriend, but he had so many girls stay over in his room the management thought he got over it.

quote:

As mentioned earlier, there were also instances when he brought girls into his room. The first few times it happened, we spoke to him and reprimanded him for it because it was against house rules and we didn’t want the other members to feel like things were unfair; however, he still kept doing it even until his last night at the boot camp when he brought a girl over.

quote:

Another clarification we would like to add is that the team owner never said he was rich. He was but he didn’t say it during the alleged chat threat.

Jimmy's response:

https://twitter.com/DotaDeMoN/status/1019518665497010176

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Boatswain posted:

Isn't he the same person who stole money out of someones purse and when he got caught said "I didn't think I'd get caught, sorry"?

classic jimmy

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Grimstroke is cool and good

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

CrRoMa posted:

Dota 2 is a fine game to jump on stoned and mess around with friends.

last time i played dota under the influence i was sittign in the fountain listening to twinmkling sounds

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
also play dota with 4 other friends for the best experience, playing with randoms is just punishing urself

and pick grimstroke every game and max spell cast range

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

ILL Machina posted:

I know you don't get multiple hp heals out of this, but you do get the mana. Does it do the self dispel x times every .5s or whatever?

Self dispel is only on the active https://dota2.gamepedia.com/Guardian_Greaves

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

ILL Machina posted:

Yes... We're talking about multicast with gg boots, friend. You can't stack the mek and/or gg hp heal and I'm wondering if the dispel applies more than once.

The dispel would only apply to yourself, but since the active effect that restores mana is tied to the dispel, and you mentioned you can multicast the mana restoration part, maybe there is a chance of multi casting the dispel component unless it has been specifically coded to avoid that affect, but it's a very niche situation.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

ILL Machina posted:

Yah, I was quoting someone else who might've just been trolling. I could very well be dumb. Not sure how to set up multiple heroes in a demo or I'd test it. Console commands in a custom lobby with cheats on?

https://dota2.gamepedia.com/Cheats#Cheat_Commands

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Ojetor posted:

Good heroes to start with:
Cores - Wraith King, Sniper, Drow Ranger, Phantom Assassin, Juggernaut, Ogre Magi
Offlane - Doom, Centaur Warruner, Bristleback, Tidehunter, Slardar, Ogre Magi
Support - Lion, Jakiro, Crystal Maiden, Shadow Shaman, Ogre Magi

Avoid: Invoker, Arc Warden, Meepo, Io, Chen, Visage, Lone Druid, Brewmaster, Tinker, Techies, all heroes with Spirit in their name.

Windranger and Enchantress are good cores/offlane as well, anything with high mobility that can flash farm or withstand endgame levels of physical damage, magic burst is generally easier to itemize against.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Venge and SB are very good with their BKB piercing disables, relies on having a team that can push with you though, which is rare at lower skill levels

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Play Turbo, pick Io and get yourself an Aghs and Heart and mow down bitches

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
I wonder in the post TI patch how much healing is gonna get nerfed, or if the new heroes will have a skill against teams regenning constantly. Liquid never bought a Spirit Vessel or even an Urn either in their matches against OG

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

hahayup posted:

How do I as a new player play with other new players? I haven't hit my 100 games as ranked is not unlocked for me yet. It seems like most games I'm so far behind everyone I'm playing with, and get an occasional rager all over me the entire game about a mistake I've made. I just want to play the game, have fun while getting better, and not have someone freak out and say nasty things to me for half an hour.

The new player experience sucks and is filled with smurf accounts, just mute all chat and play your own game. People who get mad about your mistakes overlook their own play and never try to improve themselves or communicate with their team about what they wanna do. I still get lots of hard support Pudges in my ranked games whining about no wards when I'm playing 4pos trying to support all three lanes.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
BSJ has a bunch of coaching lessons uploaded on his youtube, usually separated by the player's MMR, role and experience and he gives different guidance for everyone. It's pretty specific to that player's playstyle but can apply to everyone. Purge is still better for starting off with since he covers the new player experience, he was training Day9 to play Dota from scratch in one of his tutorial series. Also you can play a support 4 or 5 position so you don't need to focus on last hitting as much, pick a support hero with team fight potential and wave clear like CM/KotL/SShaman

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Last few games as a crusader 7 inching towards archon (1880 MMR) I was getting teams of crusaders against enemy team of archons and legends. Wonder if the recalibration will actually do anything for me as a support this time around, I've been sitting in the trench for years playing on SEA

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Eh, it's not that bad, wards are 50g and most supports have a 90g/min talent at 10

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

DisgracelandUSA posted:

disruptor, lich and crystal maiden feel particularly weak if your game is going to 45m+. Particularly against anyone with a gap closer.

If it feels weak then it's probably because you didn't do enough in the mid/early game. Lich and disruptor aren't very good supports in this meta, but CM can be very good and very cool at all stages of the game providing you can keep up aggression on the offlaner during laning and frosting big creeps in the jungle when he's missing. I kinda wanna try a diffusal with the 250 attack speed talent with her sometime.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

causticBeet posted:

The problem with support is laning is too easy now. Between shrines, shekels, free TPs, and comeback gold, it feels like there’s low impact for zoning and ganking in the early game. Especially against the offlane.

I don’t think the solution is to remove all of those, as shrines and runes add interesting things to do on the map.

Tone down bonus resources from ending kill streaks, and get rid of every single gold or XP gain talent is what I’m trying to say.

Yeah if you lane amazingly but let the other side jungle all of mid game instead of snowballing on kills then the early game is basically pointless

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

DisgracelandUSA posted:

What's everyone's warlock build? Rush Midas? Rush aghs? Pure support?

Soul Ring and Arcane Boots into Aghs if lanes are won, otherwise Refresher

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Even on Ogre I buy something like an arcanes boots first before finishing a midas around the 20-30 mark so I can still keep fighting and capitalize on the early game leads

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Most supports that go arcanes are also getting euls/blink/force as their additional mobility item, and at the end of the day someone has to get arcanes so that your team can continue to snowball and not retreat back to the fountain after every objective because they forgot to get extra mangos. Either that or pick CM. I'm a crusader shitter on SEA server so people really need to be babysat a lot

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
seems like blink only came off cd for a second before the auto attack/spirit vessel disabled it

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

SEA pubs hate beastmaster pos4

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Minorkos posted:

people are dickheads

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
help, im too addicted to ability draft to continue to play marci

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
turns out marci is in ability draft, best of both worlds

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
I only played her for the first time post patch due to New World shenanigans but good lord is she still very good to play

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Last MMR recalibration I won all my calibration games and recalibrated back to the same rank, lmao

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Isn't liquidpedia better maintained anyway

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Yeah the Juggernaut healing ward just looks really bad right now that no one targets it anymore

source: my one game of unranked dota since the new patch

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
do that as soon as theres any salt thrown imo

and always keep enemy muted

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
really digging omniknight this patch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Carry: Phase Boots -> Harpoon -> Blink / Khanda -> BKB
Supp: Mana Boots then Pipe/Aghs/Locket or whatever who cares

Agh Shard is fun cos it's free Hammer of Purity every 6 secs on ur auto attack
Repel doesn't seem worth taking all that much? Just Purification/Hammer of Purity all the way

ILL Machina posted:

Sing has a recent vod up of him playing Omni and it looked real fun.

https://youtu.be/bOSNDbuSBtQ?si=sZzeZ_QZCNfPgwB8

Divine Rapier and Khanda is loving sick now, kinda just wanna play Sniper to farm up those items with Aghs and ult everyone

Kill All Cops fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 13, 2024