Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

willow owns to play and ive never had a game where i'm like man, i wish i didn't go willow offlane

thx for reading (:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

how the gently caress do commends work? I binged like 5 games yesterday, logged off, then suddenly I have 40ish more commends? I wasn't even like, nice yesterday, i was probably on average more toxic than nice, im so confused

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

ubachung posted:

Yeah I've only been playing since Allstars 5.84, so this is the first major change I've seen. Thanks for making me feel welcome to the thread, is it always this lively?

lol relax the game was stale and big weird changes are fun

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Just had four of the worst Dota games of my life today with people just pickin support am, afk farming jungle as drow from minute 0, Pudge going only to lanes that are empty and farming a Dagon

Fuckin, why did I come back to this

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Just play Skywrath 4/5, Q at 1 then max concussive and run around killing people and being super aggro. Get like, three or four nulls ASAP. Once you hit 4 roam on mid.

Works well enough at 4K, and your team is basically irrelevant to your game plan. You just do your own poo poo, it rules.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Oh, don't worry

I'm on that poo poo

:hai: :hai:

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

RisqueBarber posted:

this is the worst sky wrath build I have ever seen

source your quotes! jerk!

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Worth putting points into concussive as a 4/5 because you don’t have the farm or levels to support arcane bolt.

Concussive is a fat slow and big burst from 1600 units away which leads to easy roams on other lanes. It’s also super easy to close the gap after concussive to silence, and the extra slow % makes that easier.

Concussive is also better in lane against sticks and wands, and is more efficient damage in laning.

Also gives you some minor wave clear.

It’s a real good spell

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Treant owns right now

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Since the bug fix update, I've had some real fuckin weird bugs. Had a game where at least one person would crash after every void chrono. Got a Grimstroke taunt, previewed it, closed the preview, and it kept playing on an infinite loop. Started and finished a game, as soon as the game was done the Grimstroke taunt audio started playing again.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

ElGroucho posted:

So this morokai poo poo is exactly like regular dota but more toxic, is what i'm seeing

yeah i played it twice because the first time i thought it was stupid but maybe i was missing something, and the second time nope it's just stupid

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Is queuing as the hard carry and picking WK just to go jungle at level 3 considered 'Did Not Play Role' because it sure feels like it should be

I’d report unless it was a completely unwinnable lane and jungling was somehow the best option

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

It was against an Ench and Silencer, which is hard but uh he had the last pick

with decent support that’s hard but laneable with a bunch of extra regen until ench gets 6 when he should in fact just jungle imo. Like if you had a Skywrath trading or ogre chasing silencer around you’d get some farm and levels

But jungle at level 1 is just them tilting, being mad and throwing

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Plank Walker posted:

Speaking of losing lanes, had a game as CM supporting PA in safe lane vs a Dragon Knight and Leshrac support. What was I supposed to do here? Because what I ended up doing was having Leshrac glued to my side killing me non-stop for the first 8 minutes.

push the wave to get 2 before they do and try to kill the lesh with double nukes, get a ton of regen to make space in lane while you can, rotate to other lanes and make space around the map when the lane becomes really impossible and hopefully the PA understands that it's Jungle Time

if you're dying a bunch but it's making space for the PA to get farm and solo xp in lane that's also pretty fine

imo

e on second thought if you kill the Lesh hell just come back at full and you’ll be outa mana so never mind on that

e2 if you go aggro and kill him at 2. But really DK is real weak at early levels and Lesh is fragile so just get vision, a lot of regen and throw your poo poo at Lesh over and over

sugar free jazz fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 14, 2019

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I'm having fun :unsmith:

then you're doing it WRONG in the voice of the big red butt guy from cow and chicken

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Supports are great because you can be extremely aggressive in the first 20 minutes and buy a ton of wards and win the map and do your job well and then when your team inevitably feeds and lets you down you can flame the poo poo out of them thus completing the natural life cycle of a dota 2 game

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I love the support games where you win your lane with a spectre somehow and then you leave to try to rotate and then you notice he bought a midas and is jungling and then you see your mid also is now jungling and now your offlane, well he also is now jungling, and the other team just kills all your towers in 20 minutes despite not really having a kill lead or anything and you lose the game somehow with zero teamfights it is extremely rewarding haha

dota is like rugby, you can be good at playing rugby (dota) or socialing (flaming), and these two things are separate from each other.

personally i'm about 3.6k at dota, and i feel like i'm about 6k at flaming. I flame in 90% (actually probably 100%) of games but have a 10k behavior score, the trick is to not use racism or misogyny or homophobia or tell people to kill themselves. just tell them to eat your poo poo or drink your piss or something similar and most importantly have fun with it, because if you're not having fun your teammates can tell and that hurts morale (:

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

emerald warden and deadwood were absolute bullshit

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Veng is a ton of fun to play right now as a 4-5. Rush into a Vlad, get that aura maxed, fight at objectives, and when you die keep killing people with your illusion. It rules. Also the Buckler armor aura stacks with the Vlad aura.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

please knock Mom! posted:

I hate Phoenix, can’t I play something easier

play viper and spit at people as a pos 3

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

hit the point of dota no longer being fun again, it was a good run 7.23

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Super No Vacancy posted:

i started playing again after like 4 years. are bets, bounties, tips and crawl missions the only way to get battle pass points? so everybody thats like level 100+ just bought that right?

being able to pick by active crawl mission is pretty neat though

also i tried a month of the dota plus thing and undying has a good plus/minus against seemingly every team lineup at my level

Yeah if someone is 100+ they bought a lot of levels

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Ezzer posted:

The "disruptive gameplay" report option should include "picked natures prophet and spent the entire game jungling and spamming ult"

i mean it sorta does, it's not like they review reports anyways so if someone plays like a huge rear end in a top hat just report em and move on

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

people who pick nature's prophet as position 5 and immediately try to transition to core can gently caress right off

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Consuming space as a 5 instead of making space by fighting and pushing or going around the map to get and deny vision is really bad. If you wanna play core just do that instead of trying to game the role queue system

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I generally wouldn’t recommend getting into playing dota unless you’ll be playing with friends and even then, eeehhh

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

You can also play dota and really have no fun at all. It can be incredibly fun when your team plays well together but, when they don’t, it’s a horrible frustrating mess and you’re like we have to pressure we can’t just farm for 35 minutes they have an AM and we have no disables so I’m going to push please come with me and then your team only farms and you lose because AM gets fat and you just hate everything

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

NieR Occomata posted:

I mean... I know the soul crushing tedium of a bad MOBA game, I played LoL like a decade ago, I’m fully expecting to suck and play like poo poo for like 100 hours. I’m also fully expecting the people I play with to be garbage assholes because, well, it’s a MOBA game.

Don’t expect to ever not suck at dota

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Legitimately I think the best way to actually start playing and then get good at dota is the following

Play 200 games in different positions with different heros and mute everyone else in the game, all 9 other players. Watch purge videos if you want but really doesn’t matter that much.

Then, pick a role to play and watch pub game vods of top 50-100 players, pick well known pros other than Topson, in that role. Then watch vods of your own games, and see what’s different about their ability usage, map movement, item builds, skill builds, and how they play the lane. Try and do more of what they do.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

having been accused of smurfing for my crime of hitting roughly 50% of my ancient apparition ults because i know to look at the minimap occasionally i'm mostly hoping that they have an at least somewhat rigorous process for vetting this

😬

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

only ever play dota while in character as Garfield or something

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Buckwheat Sings posted:

HON during its heyday was the game you played if you wanted to test your resolve on how much toxicity you could handle in a videogame.

Easily the most toxic community I've ever experienced in games. Counterstrike had nothing on it. Heck their own CEO got blasted for going off on a racist rampage.

Now it's mostly Russians I think.

maliken :unsmith: eat ur heart out gabe

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

hit your root and then one shot a noob with deadwood and just go lol

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

DNK posted:

Y’all are brokebrained Stockholm syndrome maniacs.

the frost sometimes it makes the blade stick bitch

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

wtf that is not the gladiator voice I remember what is going on

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Was hanging with some old Dota friends and they told me their 5 stack has an opening for pos 5, my old position. I haven't played since 2019. Tell me it's a bad idea.

Do you hate yourself and other people if so go for it

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Acerbatus posted:

I've played enough dota I tend to just go with the flow when I end up with griefers and stuff but I swear oracle is a cursed hero.

Nearly clawed my way to a win even with a griefer on my team that had gone 0-15 because he didnt get nether shawl, had megas, it's totally won...

...Then our carry inexplicably dies solo. Well he has buyback. He then just doesn't use it until throne is at 300 hp and unsurprisingly it dies right after he buys back.

The guy had been all "please keep trying!!" the entire game to the guy who was griefing, he wasn't raging or anything, he just randomly decided not to win. I swear that only happens when I pick oracle, the hero is legitimately cursed. :tinfoil:

its in his lore, idiot

quote:

Ascendants to the Great Seat of Cymurri had for ages imported their Oracles exclusively from the Ivory Incubarium, high in the hollow peaks of the Zealot's Range, with a downpayment made at the time of the embryo's conception and the balance surrendered on delivery of a mature, well-trained prophet to the Gate of the Graven King.

Raised by same Pallid Sybils who bred and birthed them, all sanctioned Oracles were anchored by their physical form to the world we most of us share; meanwhile, their souls roamed far afield, barely bound by the airiest astral umbilicus. From such cosmic roamings the prophets would return, speaking words of fire with tongues of flesh. Their mystic utterances were analyzed by the Cymurri Advisors, who found in them visions of the future, diplomatic advice, all the supernatural ammunition the line of Graven Kings needed to secure victory in every campaign, whether in the court or on the battlefield. Thus it went for generations, the Graventome's pages filling with the names of triumphant kings and the new domains they had acquired. So it went, that is, until the particular Oracle named Nerif arrived to serve the very last of the stone-helmed kings.

From the first, Nerif's prophecies were unusual. They seemed not merely to portend the future, but to shape it. The weird soothsayer croaked out advice no one had requested, and suddenly the Cymurri found themselves immersed in conflicts with newfound enemies. The Advisors, sensing a threat to their power, were quick to pin these unwelcome developments on the latest Oracle. They demanded his removal, petitioning the Sybils to reclaim their defective prophet and replace him with a worthy substitute. But Nerif described an ominous dream of the Incubarium's destruction, and within hours came news of the ancient school's destruction in a catastrophic avalanche. Fearing the same fate as the Pallid Sybils, the Advisors withdrew to their counsel chambers, suddenly anxious to avoid the Oracle's notice.

The Graven King, however, was a creature of great practicality. He doubted the commitment of his overprudent Advisors. An Oracle of such rarity, he reasoned, ought be used as a weapon to enlarge his domain. He therefore demoted his timid counselors and stationed Nerif at his side. With only a blunt understanding of Nerif's talent, he boldly stated the outcomes he desired, and coaxed Nerif into uttering his wishes as prophecy.

At first, all was well. The Last Graven King boasted that by adopting Fate's pet, he had made a plaything of Fate itself. He should have taken it as a warning then when, on the eve of his invasion of the Unsated Satrap's realm, he attempted to coerce a prediction of certain victory from his Oracle, only to hear Nerif quietly mutter, "It could go either way." No firmer statement could he force from Nerif's lips. Still, the King was confident in his army. The Satrapy was landlocked, poorly armed, and shut off from all possible allies. He took "It could go either way" to indicate that with tactical might on his side, there was little risk in his plan.

Of course, we now know that he should have taken the sayer's words more literally. Even with careful study of the Annotated Annals of If, what happened on the field before the Unsated Satrap's palace is almost impossible to visualize. It appears that in the midst of the carnage, the battle began to bifurcate. At each pivotal moment, reality calved and broke into bits. Soldiers who staggered and fell in battle also stood sure-footed, forging onward to fight. Their minds also split; the warriors found themselves both dead and alive, existent and non-existent. Victory and defeat were partitioned, so that each separate outcome was experienced in simultaneity by both armies. The universe became a hall of mirrors, with all the mirrors endlessly shattering.

The immediate effect on both parties was insanity. Unable to comprehend the state of being both triumphant and defeated, the Graven King's mind dispersed into motes of madness. The naive Satrap fared no better. The opposing paired realities continued to split and split again, echoing into infinite histories, all of them populated by a bewildered populace that soon lost the ability to feed, clothe, defend, or reproduce itself in the traditional manner.

Long before the repercussions had played out, however, Cymurri's wary Advisors had seized Nerif, bound and gagged him, and launched him out of their universe at high speed on a dimensional barque, in the hopes of depositing him where he could do them no harm forever. It was, of course, too late for them. And may well be for us.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Gunder posted:

This is a tough game to try and come back to. I have a decent amount of time played, mostly from the initial beta, but I seem to have lost most of my game sense and timing. Also, quite a lot of changes have been made to the supporting role. Maybe I was just ignorant, but I don't really remember people pulling lane creeps into the jungle on the regular. It is fun to learn though. Should I be stacking camps for my carry constantly? I know that I get a bounty from allies killing the stacked creeps. I guess you have to try and balance helping out the carry in the lane and doing jungle stuff.

Depends on how the lane and game are going and who your cores are. If you have a Magnus or a core who can efficiently do ancient stacks then stack more. If your core is gonna die brutally if you leave but is otherwise fine, stack less. If you lost your lane so hard that you being in lane is meaningless, stack and rotate more. if your jungle is gonna just be invaded and the camps will be stolen then don’t stack at all

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

“The only way to win is to not play”-gabe newell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

The trick is not to play lame heroes that should've never been added to the game.

what do u think is bad about hoodwink (choose ur words carefully....)