Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I just bought Puck, which summoner spells should I run on him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

Oh poo poo I just noticed Sange and Yasha got their Int buddy in.

Good lord. They really just want it to be HoN, don't they?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Twist And Pout! posted:

What's everyone's favorite dota memory? I don't play anymore but without dota I may have done drugs or had premarital sex in highschool.

I miss Chen. Smoke ganking every lane since lvl1, taking towers, raxing by minute 15... I loved that poo poo. Too bad laning and strategy and distinct hero roles aren't a thing anymore and Chen just kinda teleports or blinks around the map along with his ancient creep army because reasons :smith:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

This is probably a :can: but how do most people consider the state of the game to be since a year ago? Better or worse? Its always surprised me that there are so many huge changes so late into development.

I think it jumped the shark back in 6.78, which is when they stopped trying to balance the game they had and started trying to turn it into something new out of a desire to keep things fresh or attract new players or whatever.

The game is basically Dota 3 now. I quit HoN and moved on to dota because supports were cooler and had more impact, hard carries and 4 protect 1 were viable, it was slower, more deliberate and strategic instead of just a 5vs5 deathball thunderdome. None of the stuff that brought me to Dota is there anymore, it's a different game. You don't even have proper trilanes and offlanes anymore. That makes me sad.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Incoherence posted:

Every major Dota patch as long as I've been following Dota 2 has had a whole list of wacky batshit ideas in it, then the minor patches claw back some of the stupider ones (like comeback gold). I'm not sure what game you're playing.

How long have you been following Dota 2?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

SweetBro posted:

How do I communicate to my team that dota isn't a zero sum game and every time I kill an enemy hero they're no obligated to feed them a kill back?

> Well played!

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Unfunny Poster posted:

Back to Warcraft 3 then.

Do people still play it there?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

And then when they're done with that they can revert every gameplay patch from the last three years and beg Icefrog to come back we still love you please talk to us

Elman fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 15, 2017

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

IncendiaC posted:

Not all that much in the grand scheme of things. Off the top of my head, the following have been simplified or removed:
shrines make regen less vital to early game
simplifying damage/armour types
roshan drops cheese earlier I guess?
no more orbs/attack modifier restrictions in 7.07
no more bottle-crowing in 7.07
free courier upgrade in 7.07

JPJ is just mad because for the last ~3 years, dota has put an emphasis on grouping up and taking fights/objectives rather than static lanes and farming/stacking, and he hates it. A brief summary going by memory:
slightly upped passive gold gain
cost of TPs, couriers, and wards decreased a lot (but went up a bit in 7.07)
reduced xp/gold from lane and jungle creeps (but increased in 7.07)
increased hero/assist kill gold/xp
introduction of ''rubberband kill gold" if your team is behind, making comebacks more achievable
changes to the offlane making it easier to contest
more utility/support items which make supports (and your team in general) more important in the late game. And having to depend on randos can be pretty awful given the reputation of the dota community

What about spawning runes all over the map instead of just the 1 rune you have to fight for? Or spell scaling that blurs the distinction between spell and physical damage. Or tenacity. Or giving offlaners and supports tons of gold which means they no longer have to make do with very little gold and xp (I actually enjoyed that aspect of the game a lot! It took effort to play position 5 and still carry the game for your team through good support).

Honestly you could go on and on but it's like asking what made HoN inferior to Dota back in the day. They were extremely different games, with HoN picking up a lot of design cues from APEM and focusing on being a hero brawler that's more about action than strategy.

Now excuse me while I get hit by Kunkka's ult 12 times in a row.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

So I'm trying to find this old YouTube video that is a reading of someone's amazing anger rant from like dota 1 or hon or something. Something about regretting your words and deeds but I think I'm mixing it up with Kojima

I wanna say moonmeander wrote it maybe

Anyone remember what I'm thinking of

I remember an amazing HoN video of some guy dying a lot and raging as Shadowfiend (Soulstealer) to the tune of Michael Jackson's Bad. Can't seem to find it though.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's weird because there's another subset of Russian players that will NEVER loving give up, ever. I remember one game their alch was intentionally feeding himself mid like 30-40 times and they kept playing and eventually won.

That's some Borodino poo poo right there :ussr:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Jesus, I played for 3000 loving hours and only got a single legendary item (that was worth 40 cents). 99% of what you got was 2 cent crap. Why would they make it worse? :psyduck:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

RisqueBarber posted:

Because they want to make money.

Maybe they shouldn't run their game into the ground then.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Wait they actually added LoL style summons that just kinda hang around and help you, no micro involved? Didn't want to scare away those Boner King mains, I guess.

Elman fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Nov 30, 2017

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Why the gently caress is AM soloing against an Earthshaker/Earth spirit/Ember spirit in the first place?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Ambivalent posted:

i wish Amaterasu from the great game Okami was not being submitted as a new courier but actually as a new hero, it would be a good hero, and i want to play the hero that just barks, and there's like so many abilities and mechanics you could do

it would be a terrible precedent but i would love an amaterasu hero...

Well there's always Gemini from HoN.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

turboraton posted:

Bullshit, Dota2 is a good game at core, that's why it is still rising on other regions. Older regions are just like this forum in general, full of guys who have grown out of the game but refuse to stop bitching about it.

Actually I haven't grown up at all I'm still the same dota-loving manchild at heart :ohdear:

I just feel the game's only changed for the worse ever since they decided that balancing and making it stategically deep wasn't a worthwhile pursuit and it was much better to make massive sweeping changes to keep the playerbase interested. I was able to deal with it for a while but as these changes got bigger and bigger the game eventually stopped feeling like dota to me and I gave up on it.

Then I overcame depression, lost a lot of weight and landed a job so all in all not playing Dota has been a positive experience. Thank you Gaben.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Every moba does this and every moba is harder to read in the middle of a teamfight because of this. gently caress HoN and LoL's skins.

Dota used to be better about it, heroes always had their default portraits and their shape was always the same and easy to read, and their skill effects never changed. And it was better for it.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

I mean, randoming was kind of a dumb concept even if it was fun. "I'm going to roll a dice, and if it hits 4/5/6 then I get a gold lead over you on a hero I'm good at that fits our composition, otherwise i'l either leave or make my team wish I left"

I mean, it was fun and it rewarded you for having a big hero pool. If you can't play Meepo or Chen I feel sorry for you :colbert:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

MoaM posted:

I disagree man, I haven't played in an all-spanish team for a loooooong time and I literally saved Google Translate as a bookmark (so that they could understand my flames when those dudes fight over last hits at mid or refuse to fully support the team on heroes like Io).

Nothing like playing in a US server while pretending you only speak Spanish.

Dejadme solo medio, quiero probar Invoker.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Well played!
Well played!
Well played!
Well played!

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Minorkos posted:

it's a good thing valve is making dota 2 worse and worse every patch. this way i get to live my life and do other things. if the game had just stayed in the balance state it was in 2012-2014 i probably would've just spent the rest of my life playing the game but thankfully it isn't

My life has improved so much ever since v6.78. Thank you, Gaben :unsmith:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Ambivalent posted:

I am just going to say that if you did not like dota, dota may not be a game you like!!

I liked Dota, but I feel like at some point Valve decided it'd be more popular if they turned it into HoN. There's more action and things are flashier but it feels soulless.

The talents and aghs changes are a good example of that. I don't have anything against them in principle but in practice they're major power creep. Supports don't need to scale well into the late game, there's really no reason a hero like Lina should be able to pierce bkb with her ult.

Not everyone needs to be a superstar. Clearly defined roles are part of what made this game great, and that means both hard carries who are absolutely useless early game, and supports who can't quite carry their weight in the late game.

Elman fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 20, 2019

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Kild posted:

The radiant advantage ~5-10% has to be addressed.

Wasn't it around 4% before the map changes? :psyduck:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Ok, I was misremembering and thought that Radiant used to have that advantage because of their better early game (which the Rosh pit disadvantage wasn't able to compensate for).

Nevermind then.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I think the path to Dota spiritual peace is to play as many different heroes as possible because playing the same three over and over again to gain mmr is boring. Accept that you will play below what the skill level you believe you are in your head to do this and be kind to the the numbskulls you are essentially choosing to play with. Namaste

Back when this game was good I used to slam random every game and just played whatever. The only character I couldn't handle was Invoker and there was always someone that was happy to swap. It sucks that they removed random gold later on.

My only regret is not playing more Meepo. I loved him and had 60%+ winrate as Chen but while it was very easy to justify a Chen pick (he'd win every lane and push super hard and become a support powerhouse in the mid game), it was harder to do the same with Meepo. Your teammates would really poo poo on you if the pick didn't work out so I mostly only played him when I randomed him.

Support Meepo seamlessly transitioning into a jungling roamer who eventually became a carry/initiator might be the most fun I had in this game.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

schmitty9800 posted:

I'm fine in games where we have one idiot lategame who thinks that just because he has farm he can take on the whole team, or that he can pick off a 3K hp hero before their team rotates. Just follow him!

But when you have two idiots....who do you follow?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

icefrog wanted to ruin the game like he did with the denial change killing offlane.

Honestly I'm having trouble believing that the same Icefrog that consistently came up with brilliant changes every patch suddenly went crazy and decided to turn the game into EM, force 2-1-2 and kill the jungle, offlane and trilanes.

(sorry, I blame Underlords for reopening old wounds :arghfist::saddowns: )

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

ILL Machina posted:

Do you think first wave creeps moving faster down safe lane is any different?

Isn't that a post TI3 change? That's around the time when these kinds of changes started (along with massive comeback gold and broken Aghanims for everyone).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Neon Belly posted:

This patch is nuts, I don’t even know where to start.

http://www.dota2.com/outlanders

And here I thought Dota jumped the shark back in 6.78