Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Also worth noting: Everyone was saying people would come back to Dota in droves as soon as the patch hit and if today is anything to go by, they didn't. Peak numbers were around what they usually are. They've also done some widening of the MMR range for ranked, I've noticed. Sometimes you end up in games where everyone is 300-400 MMR below you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Pango would be a lot better if Q scaled off attack damage and his ult wasn't extremely hard to control in tight spaces.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Might be a little early to say but it looks like Pango is still dogshit even after the changes.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Reports actually do stuff again all the sudden. I got no notifications for like probably 6+ months and now I'm getting like 3 a day back.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

https://www.esportstales.com/dota-2/playerbase-declining-707-effect-and-source-2

Confirms what we all basically suspected anyway: the bulk of players that have left the game over the past few years have mostly been from western Europe and the US. Poorer regions unaffected or even growing.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The offlane is loving MISERABLE now if you get the guy that doesn't read patch notes or anything and you get the 5th pick jungle legion or whatever. Good luck doing anything against their Antimage/Pudge/Warlock trilane or whatever they come up with, that dewards you before creeps meet and then you're just completely shut out with nowhere else to go.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Minorkos posted:

It kind of sucks because it limits your offlane options to like 5 heroes in the current patch. Anything that doesn't withstand a tactical nuclear strike is way too greedy for the offlane now. I like a lot of the other changes but offlane/safelane dynamic sucks now. It's really annoying when enemy supports sit their asses down on your lane and still compete with you in levels because of the 2 free bounty runes and so on. And then after they've zoned you for 2 minutes, the enemy carry runs at you with phase boots and extra 2 levels, and then the lane is loving done

Some guy on my team begged for solo off, I told him it'd be better if I laned with him since the hard lane is actually hard now, he said 'You can't go into games assuming your teammates are retards.' Then he picked Pugna and got turboraped by their trilane and we lost.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think I hate the courier cost increase the most over the past couple weeks. You can't just casually pick one up to show yours off, or to be nice, or anything, because it's a huge chunk of your starting gold. You are gimping yourself significantly to buy one at the start of the game if you're a core.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Calibration has been interesting so far. First game we were down like 3-15 but everyone stayed calm and we quickly bounced back to win. The second game was super even all the way until our ancient exploded, but no one bought wards or a courier, 2 people were screaming at each other, our monkey king was refusing to use skills, and other such joys.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Seems legit, I was in the Archon range before the change and that's what I am now.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Boy if they thought this system would reduce toxicity it sure as gently caress didn't. Got told I was poo poo by some guy who was Archon 1 because I was Archon 0.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Something is seriously hosed with the new seasonal matchmaking. I'm highest MMR every single game and I'm not 9k by any means. I think one time I got a player that was higher than me and I was so relieved.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

It is genuinely really weird how casual russian moba players are about leaving games tho. If they're losing, if their build sucks, if they've gotten a lead but haven't cleared barrack towers yet, if they get shuffled in a custom match, bar mitzvahs, new years, etc.

Yeah or they're like 'AFK 15min ok?'

Some people just genuinely don't give a poo poo.

It's weird because there's another subset of Russian players that will NEVER loving give up, ever. I remember one game their alch was intentionally feeding himself mid like 30-40 times and they kept playing and eventually won.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

When the pudge dragon hook came out, I got two of them from chests. Not realizing they’d be worth shitloads one day, I traded one away for something else from the chest that I actually wanted, and then I gave the other to a buddy of mine who actually played Pudge.

I traded one for some crappy $.50 rare that was also in the chest. I cashed out my hook, timebreaker, and alpine ursa years ago and regret nothing

Also my game quality is basically back to normal now after a big loss streak from playing while everyone was recalibrating. I’m taking a break for a week when ranks reset again.

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 29, 2017

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The skeletons kinda suck for jungling because one second they're being useful and tanking neutrals for you and then they randomly run to mid or the offlane and push the wave at random times which is even worse than having a jungler.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

After playing him a bunch more times I don't think Pango is that bad honestly, the main problem right now just seems to be that pubs haven't fully caught on to how he fits into a team.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Another big reason I think is that the report system is hosed and Valve doesn't seem to care about overhauling it because it meets some arbitrary internal metric.

They seem to make random unannounced changes to the sensitivity of reports so you'll go six months with not a single person you reported being punished and then a patch hits and suddenly you get 3 notifications in a day. People seem to figure it out over time and adjust their behavior accordingly. When you report game ruiners and get notifications back every 2 days saying someone has been punished, you feel like you're probably going to get punished too if you gently caress up. And if you haven't gotten any in six months, well....

(Disclaimer: Haven't gotten any kind of punishment in Dota in like a year)

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I cared more about buying cosmetics when I occasionally got them got them for free than I do now. Next year I probably won't even do TI.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Chinese players are the new Peruvians, I swear. Except they're even more infuriating because they're just like completely unflappable 99% of the time. At least Peruvians understand when they're being flamed and flame back.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The only autocast thing I remember changing over the years is that Puck used to be able to autocast phase shift which could be good or bad depending on the situation I guess.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Behead those who random in ranked.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Sometimes I ban bonus heroes simply because because I feel like people are more inclined to pick them with the bonus mango and I don't want to deal with their bullshit.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think Valve managed to piss off pretty much everyone with this update.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

lohli posted:

Isn't the calibration meaningless since you still have MMR and the new stuff is just an MMR bracket? The whole thing is a placebo to make people feel like they're being reevaluated and that the new thing is going to be somehow more reflective of where they should be by obfuscating things.

Your medal means literally nothing other than the highest MMR you've achieved this season. Matchmaking is still based on your numerical MMR.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

How do I farm behavior score back up to normal levels because I hit C and now my games are like a chain reaction of toxicity. One guy earlier started mocking our mid's voice, charged once, and then abandoned when he died the first time which is kinda funny but not good for actually winning.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

jBrereton posted:

I recommend not acting like a histrionic retard despite being 43 or however old you are

Chill out friend, want some grapes?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's fun to run post-game chat through Google translate sometimes. "No offense to people with autism but I don't want to play with them." Well said peruvian Huskar.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I feel like Doom's pretty good right now, he can survive the offlane, farms fast, and even if you're having a lovely game all you have to do is press R on their level 25 carry and probably win.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

They're working on a Roman-themed hero right now so maybe it won't be another full year before we get another one

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wonder if I’ll be able to play the official Dota 2 card game while pooping

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Just had an interesting Dota experience. Game started out with some typical Normal Skill bullshit like 4 carries and me solo supporting. Our LC said he'd support our CK in the offlane but what he meant by 'support' was that he'd buy a ward at 1min, place it in a useless location and then immediately gently caress off to jungle. By the 10min mark we had 2 lost lanes and 3 people in the jungle. At that point I had everyone muted but the CK and was ready to just take my 20min loss but he ended up pretty friendly and talkative despite getting hosed over. Apparently he just got out of prison for a few years and said it was super boring and seemed happy to be playing video games again. Also seemed kinda put off by the fact that everyone just casually tells each other to eat poo poo which definitely does not occur in prison. I ended up just following him around and we racked up some kills and eventually won because the enemy cores got forced into buying back repeatedly to avoid losing rax. I commended him after the game because he was basically the only reason I bothered being invested in the game past the 10min mark.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

so you're about as good at dota as a guy who hasnt played for 5 years?

Worse, I looked at his Dotabuff and he spammed CK for like 30 games straight and won something absurd like 27 of them of them.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I miss old Berserker's Blood where you could go around and kill every single person on the enemy team before like 12min.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Yeah I don't know who owned you harder there, the IRC guys or your brutal self-own for posting about it

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I hear a lot of 'reported, enjoy your six month ban' crap after games now, as if they're being handed out like candy.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

How many times is Valve going to lie to us about how they're fixing language/proximity in matchmaking

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Ambivalent posted:

i mean, what are you going to do, have a duolingo popquiz before you queue, and what difference does it make if its some guy speaking spanish or some guy who speaks english but just muted you and dgaf???

And now you have people complaining about queue times again, and people complaining about huge disparities in the matches they get, it's always going to be a tradeoff

I haven't noticed any difference whatsoever in language issues since the patch, but now it takes 3 times as long to find a game.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I love that you can click on anything in anyone's inventory and it announces it in chat now. You can click on someone's sacred relic and then the clock and its like you flamed them without typing anything.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wonder if there's no sanity checking for how many games someone built those items on Lich. Battlefury has a 70% winrate on Lich, in the 82 games where someone did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I played a 2 hour game of Dota tonight with Techies on our side and lich/void/tinker on the other side. It was every bit as bad as it sounds. The game gets super loving slow past a certain point because no one will even attempt anything without having buybacks on the whole team. Only one rapier was bought which disappeared like an hour before the game ended.