Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
pretty glad they finally ported hots over to steam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
At a certain point in every game, nanomashoes will announce that he had won his lane, and therefore he just doesn't know how things got this way.

Also I've been bouncing around test servers and had a few thoughts on the new heroes

First, the fairy is definitely crazy strong and fun with probably too many disables and damage on pretty short cooldown, but I could see her being tricky and a bit poo poo if she's a hard 5 with no experience. The bushes she summons go up nigh instantly, and so long as there's not a bunch of creeps in the way it's insanely good for locking down pretty much any amount of heroes, on top of the high damage each root does. The phase with no downside and a damage boost at the end is insane for survivability and damage, and probably makes her a pretty decent offlaner by itself. The ticking timebomb AoE stun seems really good and strong as a combo skill, as you can insta-drop it on top of any kind of root or stun and not have to worry about overlap.

Her ults are both silly strong, with the wisp ball making GBS threads out damage on a 15! second cooldown, and her large AoE fear comboing with her roots and AoE stun for a truly stupid amount of lockdown. On top of this, she has good base damage and a fantastic attack animation. She's definitely going to be an early contender for the coveted "Most annoying little poo poo of the Patch" award.

The other new hero, the musketeer pangolin, is definitely fun and interesting, with a bunch of unique tools. His dash stab is tricky to effectively use, because it's got a long, thin vector target hitbox where you select your dash spot, then which direction you stab in. Outside of that, his Q has a mix of absurd range and good damage, plus it can pick up attack modifiers like diffusal blade to really stack on the damage. His W is a big thunderclap, which makes you a bit tankier with every enemy you can hit. His passive is a long slow which tears off base armor, so it's pretty good mixed with his q, but at 15% proc rate isn't really worth building around. His ult turns him into an unstunnable bowling ball straight out of sonic, which stuns enemies you touch and can bounce with W for lots of damage. It's a hilariously fun skill, especially pinballing down the river and bouncing off every wall.

He's definitely a hero that's almost entirely reliant on hitting his skillshot. Get Orb of Venom to lane and a blight stone into diffusal, and land your Q. If you can land the Q without getting yourself merc'd, you're going to get a lot of procs off of everything and murder pretty much anyone. You can roll into teamfights or out of lovely situations, but he's squishy so if you dash yourself into the wrong spot you're going to get blown right up. Shadow blade is really good on him, and you can actually use it while rolling and be an invisible bowling ball. Blink also works while you're rolling, and is hilarious, but probably not that great at actually winning you the game.

Anyway the patch is great fun and full of good changes, and there's nothing more terrifying then a slardar charging at you up a river at 700 movespeed holy poo poo

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
It's kind of a dumb argument about comparative hero strength when you look at the numbers, since the winningest heroes in the game win a little less then 11/20 games they're in. Then the next 100 or so heroes win about half the time, plus or minus a quarter of a game.

The only real outlier is timbersaw, who's deep in the dumps, only winning about 2/5 of the games he's in. Save my boy valve, he doesn't deserve this.

Onehandclapping fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 9, 2019

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
At this point buying in to the battle pass and getting the naked axe straight cash is probably like $120ish, since valve already did the things where they sell they sell immortal boxes with levels in them on the cheap.

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
New rule is that you can only pause after first blood or 4 minutes, which is a mixed bag because there's been long stretches where dota could crash right on map load and can be hell on old computers, but also every loving game had some jackass who decided they'd waste 9 other peoples time because they couldn't go piss or smoke before hitting the queue button.

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
The old UI was hot rear end, with tons of relevant but hidden information, and a lot of prominent but irrelevant information. On the other hand, the map was cooler with all the little hand placed tidbits, a dark and foreboding atmosphere, and the aesthetics stuck to that with much darker, more muted and moodful models and spells. It did a lot for the aesthetics of the game to stick to the same page for years and dota was cooler for it. But also the map was hot rear end for traversal and fighting and I don't miss most old dota mechanics one bit.

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
techies sucked and all the people who like old techies stink. New techies is good because he has to actually interact with other players, which is why goons hate it

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
medusa lost effectively 400 hp at level 1, so probably not looking hot as a support.

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, I don't see a good reason to disbelieve valve here. They're trying to pull back from the battle pass, probably because it sees diminishing returns for time put in, and the other micro events like aghs lab and diretide pulled in similar returns. So instead of putting everything in the battlepass basket they spread out the work and effort into events and event crates.

Honestly the TI battlepass has been a bloated mess of features for years, with poo poo like player cards collections and secondary paid boxes on the paid battlepass. I'm sure these had their fans, but all I was ever personally interested in were a couple arcanas and the cavern crawl, where I had an excuse to play random heroes while tanking my mmr.

Breaking up the bloat is probably overdue, but knowing valve's record all it means is that there's no battlepass and no events until sometime 2025.

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
Some advice for a newbie and also some for sven specifically:

Know your gameplan! Dota's complicated, and figuring out what the best move for you at any given moment is really tough, so you should make it easier by thinking about what you want in advance. Everyone want to hit their timings, big items or skills that, when they get them, make a big difference. As a carry, your job is to figure out when you should be farming versus when you should actively be looking to fight. Sometimes it's as simple as go to lanes and hit creeps until your at the enemy base, sometimes you're trying to dodge the enemy until you have a big enough timing to bring the fight to them. Use the in game guides! They're a good resource for knowing what's popular and works with your hero.

For sven specifically, you're probably hitting creeps until you have a farming item like mask of madness and a couple levels of cleave, then you zip around the jungle killing a million creeps until you have a big damage (daedalus or harpoon), initiation (Blink dagger, shadowblade, or harpoon), or survival item (shadowblade, BKB). Figuring out which one you want is tough, and there's rarely a single right answer, so it's good to experiment and think about it.

Dying sucks, and is inevitable. You'll die, lose gold, feel bad, and watch as your teammates ping the enemies items and levels a million times.
But it's not a big deal. Stick to a gameplan. If you're playing sven, you're trying get big money, to get big items, to get big hits. Dying sets you back a little, but it also resets your hero. You get back full life, full mana, and a TP scroll, and some time to reset your cooldowns. Take a breath, figure out where you are on the gameplan, and figure out where's the best place on the map to go.
Sometimes it's good to die! Especially in lane, sometimes you might be teetering on a knifes edge HP wise, step out of place and die. Early game, your death timer is short, and it's a free heal, and you can pick up whatever items you had in base, while your enemy sits at half life and no mana, so you're suddenly coming back to a really easy lane. This comes into my next point.

Regen items are important! Buy More! lots of people one and done a set of tangoes or two, a healing salve if they're feeling saucy, then beeline whatever items. These people tend to sit around lane at low hp dying or being useless, so don't be like them. You don't need to die to get your resources back! Ship yourself a set of tangoes if your first 3 don't cut it, if the HP lets you last hit two more creeps then they've more then paid for themselves, and a clarity potion shipped to you while your jungling lets you cast spells and items more freely, speeding you up way more then the 50 gold cost. You don't need to be topped off at all times, but just be aware there's a blurry line between "enough HP" and "basically dead already" and it's better to be on the upper end, even if it costs you a little gold in the laning phase. If you kill your lane opponents and spent all your mana and HP doing it, then keep in mind that they're coming back with full HP and mana and you're stuck with whatever you got, so investing in staying on the upper hand is often a good call.

For sven advice specifically, the best thing you can do is usually going to be running between your ancient camps. Make sure you're stacking them if you have the chance, sven is incredible at clearing them and it's often easier with multiple stacks then without them. When fighting a stack of neutrals as sven, you want to hit the camp, then run back a bit so the creeps spend time walking to you instead of hitting you. Kiting camps is really important early and saves you a lot of HP.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
also the spell was dogshit because brewmaster couldn't light his own spell, making him utterly reliant on a few specific spells from specific supports to not suck rear end in lane.

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
I went from ~10500 communication score to ~9k about 3 weeks ago due to an abandon. In 3 weeks, i've regained 60 points of that. A week of 0 reports is worth 30 positive communication points.

My takeaway is that an abandon probably shouldn't tank half a years (?!?) worth of communication points from an account, the system is incredibly punishing and doesn't seem to let you regain lost points. Let me ping tangos again damnit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010

flashman posted:

When my team mates do it? Griefing. When I do it? It's just having fun