Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
New talents are cool (and probably broken as hell) and they're what the old 7.00 talents should have been from the start. also thank god base shrines are gone, that poo poo was awful.

now valve needs to redo the tutorial (again) and rehaul custom games then maybe we'll be out of beta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Kild posted:

pango gently caress is poo poo and dotabuff confirms it 36% winrate.

not that i don't agree with you but it's been like 8 hours since the patch, of course everyone's gonna blindly pick the new hero. initial winrates for new heroes are always low

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
It's always been a cycle of 'huge patch with massive changes->2-3 smaller patches over the next 3 months with number tweaking'. This patch definitely has more big changes in the form of talents and fewer minor skill changes in older patches, but it's not really surprising since IF wants to utilize more hero/skill-specific talents and get away from the old generic ones (plus a lot of the lvl25 talents are completely bonkers). Also like 50% of these talents are almost certainly getting tweaked in a month so there's still going to be careful balancing.

that being said there's still a bunch of stuff i don't like about the patch like the bonus hero thing, the new primary attribute stat perks, and status resistance in general.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
According to the article the primary reasons are:
1. lack of grinding and incentives to play (that aren't locked behind a battle pass paywall)
2. veterans are growing up and have less time to play, and they're not willing to spend a bunch of time relearning mechanics anymore. They want to be able to just jump in and play.
3. non-existent social system

Which sounds about right. Valve did try to address 1 and 2 with ranked seasons and turbo, but completely forgot about the social aspect after porting to Source 2.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Ambivalent posted:

I know that's why the old 'play as sniper/dragon knight' tutorials got canned - patches kept breaking or changing stuff that they taught about, and Valve didn't keep them up to date.

Also the sniper/DK tutorials were boring as poo poo and didn't teach anything about the actual game of Dota. It just showed you a bunch of basic concepts with no context. The maps themselves was pretty neat though and if they actually spent time redesigning tutorial maps to look/play more like a compact, single-player dota map then it could work.

Valve has neglected so much they really should just spend like 3-4 months and fix all the poo poo they've abandoned in the last 3 years, including (but not limited to): custom games, in-depth tutorials, player profiles, social system/guilds, and dashboard UI.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

What mechanics have they actually made simpler?

Not all that much in the grand scheme of things. Off the top of my head, the following have been simplified or removed:
shrines make regen less vital to early game
simplifying damage/armour types
roshan drops cheese earlier I guess?
no more orbs/attack modifier restrictions in 7.07
no more bottle-crowing in 7.07
free courier upgrade in 7.07

JPJ is just mad because for the last ~3 years, dota has put an emphasis on grouping up and taking fights/objectives rather than static lanes and farming/stacking, and he hates it. A brief summary going by memory:
slightly upped passive gold gain
cost of TPs, couriers, and wards decreased a lot (but went up a bit in 7.07)
reduced xp/gold from lane and jungle creeps (but increased in 7.07)
increased hero/assist kill gold/xp
introduction of ''rubberband kill gold" if your team is behind, making comebacks more achievable
changes to the offlane making it easier to contest
more utility/support items which make supports (and your team in general) more important in the late game. And having to depend on randos can be pretty awful given the reputation of the dota community

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Fuligin posted:

Maybe I'm being an idiot right now but I'm not actually sure why you're thunking at me. There's the Dota card game I guess, but all the leaks and departures over the past few years suggest that most of Valve's not-Dota, not-Steam activities have come to a halt or been cancelled.

Apparently a lot of valve employees drank the VR koolaid and spend their time on that...except they've never released a VR game aside from that tech demo 2 years ago. Valve also lost their main writers and the half life guy which is a pretty big hit, especially since the writing in their older games was fantastic.

fake edit: plus there was an ex-valve artist who recently posted a bunch of concept art for what was supposed to be a new IP SP fantasy game, but it got scrapped. IIRC a lot of that stuff got rolled into dota lore and probably artifact.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

uninverted posted:

Here are what the new ranks mean in terms of mmr if anyone is curious.

oh good now people can call me a legend shitter instead of a 3k shitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Kawabata posted:

Huh, haven't played doto in a long time (2 years? 2 years and a half?) and wooo what the hell happened to the drop system. It seems you don't get anything after matches anymore, I remember you were guaranteed an item (or a chest?) each time you leveled up and there was an ok stream of random armor pieces you got for most heroes.

In addition to "Valve wants more money", apparently people were making teams of alt/bots and had them queue against each other in low-pop. servers to farm drops, and valve ended up ruining the drop system in an attempt to stop it. Ironically, alt/bot matches are still a thing but now they're used to sell boosted accounts.

The drop rate used to be decent, like 1 every ~4 games with a weekly cap. Eventually the droplist kept getting smaller until everyone was getting the same poo poo items (the BZZ pugna bracers meme). Valve then promised to make drops better by including whole sets but made everything untradable, and then they massively lowered the drop rate to 1 item every ~2 weeks. Now the droplist never gets updated so we're stuck with the same old sets while newer sets are locked behind battle pass/TI chests.

Elman posted:

Jesus, I played for 3000 loving hours and only got a single legendary item (that was worth 40 cents). 99% of what you got was 2 cent crap. Why would they make it worse? :psyduck:

Item rarity has been completely meaningless in terms of market value for years. Ever since the dota market bottomed out, the only way to get a decently valuable drop was to pray you got that one $5 mythical headpiece that looked nice and not the other ugly mythical headpieces that were worth 25 cents.