Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Minorkos posted:

he isn't saying anything bad about the patch but it still looks like complaining lmao

i wonder if this new patch is just going to be a replay of 7.00 of people going "wow look at all this crazy new poo poo" and then "wow this is loving terrible" immediately afterwards. at least there are new heroes. one would hope that this starts a trend of regularly released new heroes to make this game seem less like a dead game, but knowing valve they'll just go back to releasing new loot boxes and shuffling numbers around instead

Breaking high ground will probably be a net gain overall, adding Normal Person Mode might make the game as fun to play solo as other mobas, most of the hero changes seem focused around level 25 aka "the phase where everyone gets a little samey" which is good.

All of this is moot though in the face of the worst change: Tinker can now refresh 9 items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
How many true incompatible orbs were left before this patch killed them anyways

All I can think of is antimage, maybe impetus???

E: I'm sad shadow demon didnt get a L25 talent that added shadow poison to his attacks

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

staplegun posted:

They haven't made the ingame tutorial any better at not getting you yelled at in games.

This is impossible to avoid when solo queuing in dota, its only avoided in groups because then you're in a group of people shouting at the solo queuer(s)

dota tips 'n tricks: read about what stage the hero you want to play is good at (i.e crushes early, crushes midgame, crushes late) and try to end the game at that time, if your hero is good at farming check what the enemies that are doing well are using and buy items that stop that:

Debuffs; diffusal blade (after this patch Nullifier, autoattack heroes)/Euls (other heroes)
Spammable stuns; BKB (if you're a damage hero)
Magic damage; blademail (middle of fights hero)/orchid (squishy damage nerdlinger hero)
Autoattacks; halberd/vyse (unless custom games have burnt my brain out halberd disarms will not be dispelled when they activate BKB, but cannot be applied during)
Single target ults; linkens

You will win most of your low ELO/MMR games doing this because everyone else will be following whitebread mobafire guides intended to specialize players in coordinated teams. By the time this starts failing you should know enough about the game to make your own decisions.

If the enemy has a stealth hero buy sight wards and dust, use liberally

If you want the easiest possible beginner heroes play lion or lich. Don't get lost farming in the jungle; its for pulling lanes and dipping for gold between creep waves, you'll miss out on muchos gold and exp prioritizing the jungle unless you've got amazing clear

Im gay (this is important)

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 31, 2017

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Elman posted:

Good lord. They really just want it to be HoN, don't they?

*looks at tiny rework, turbo mode*

between the revelation that valve basically gutted their game development staff + their surprisingly quick turnaround here and in TF2, I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some hon/strife/rise/realm/heroes alumni in the ranks game industry has pretty silly job insecurity after all.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
compared to my knowledge of other mobas I'm still pretty scrub tier wrt dotes knowledge, is there a real point to meteor hammer I'm missing beyond tower damage/a cheaper abyssal blade for heroes that attack too slow for abyssal blade? It seems like it would be really easy to avoid due to the obvious telegraphed channel time.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Wangsbig posted:

it gives your team high ground vision, damages the enemy creep wave as it spawns and does guaranteed chip damage to structures. it is good on basically every hero and directly addresses the issues with pushing high ground and how boring it is, the main issue responsible for the death of the videogame dota 2

That makes sense thanks, saw you mentioning "item specifically to counter high ground" and wasn't 100% on which it was since theres a ton of crazy poo poo in this patch

seems a bit awkward to have an item basically just to take care of a dumb mechanic but hey whatever works

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

That might be a bit hyperbloic but high ground has been obnoxious for a really long time and even atm before this patch hits you basically need to sacrifice someone for vision if the enemy is halfway competent at killing base wards

let alone the miss chance and 3 goddamn heal shrines

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
it never gets old watching someone react when their main gets changed, it's always a roller coaster of emotions

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
broodmother might actually be less trash now that she isn't dumpstered the moment she's revealed and taking damage. Think Winter Wyvern but without needing to burn mana (after placing the webs obviously).

the only "chinesey" thing I could think of for the notes is that most of the changes are centered on level 25 talents, but that's not that far away now and a good number of them help out strong early heroes that fall off a bit lategame.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
broodmother becoming invisible in webs never made sense anyways, who becomes -less- aware of a spider when they see a web

it would make more sense if like, she was a waterspider, and she made pools of water, actually cut the spider part, broodmother is now a vampire squid that spawns microsquids

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

ILL Machina posted:

She and her babies get free move still, right? Maybe with armor and magic resist they won't always be insta blapped. They survive more early game but you don't have to get smoke against them...feels like the visage familiars who didn't get song immunity anymore

Yeah I mean, now that they dont lose free walk when spotted you can just send them into the trees when someone tries to farm them.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Brinner posted:

broodmother is great now. Losing free pathing from taking dmg and getting dusted 24/7 sucked and made it the niche pick she was. now she's viable all the time and a lot of fun. if being invis is a highlight of the hero you're loving garbage with garbage opinions.

Yeah, I decided against saying anything, but you should really play stealth heroes with the assumption that you -will- get revealed, and being able to fly past trees while revealed is pretty nice. Assuming your stealth is real stealth and not just a 33 gold tax per fight is a pretty good way to make some memorable throws.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
instant out of shower showerthought: why doesn't tiny have a line for when he throws an ally hero at an enemy hero where he says "How's THIS for a memorable throw!"

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Not sure why someone would look at a skill with no scaling that is basically a platform for onhits and think "ah, a new carry.", same for the ult that makes him unable to attack.

IMO get orb of venom, early javelin, roam out for those magical 2+ javelin procs off swashbuckle, and have a good time.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

mikeraskol posted:

I wonder if the massive winrate dips for Tiny and Morph are more indicative of people not sure how to play them yet or the changes. I thought both looked very weak when reading the notes and trying them out on test and the drops seem to confirm that, but honestly nobody has any idea what they are doing with them yet.

The loss of the replicant for Morphling as both a defensive tool and a movement tool seems really tough.

He seems like he could make for an interesting Agility Rubick with his new morph; clone an enemy initiator/disabler, shut down an enemy carry, then use the morph as a second healthbar (I assume that Morph can exit the cloneform before dying to retain his normal hp, Brewmaster style). His 25 talent lets him copy allies, which means he can make up for low farm by just copying an ally carry or initiator.

Granted this is all pulled straight from my rear end since I haven't played new morph yet. I guess it depends on if the stats he copies includes items.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Elman posted:

How long have you been following Dota 2?

I mean, I've followed dota2 since it first hit closed beta, and I can definitely recall sweeping changes that gave supports a second agh stun and removing orb limitations on certain carries and dumping a bunch of armor on a hero or letting a hero take their ult a couple levels early, in the same patch

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I like a lot of stuff about this patch, but adding crowd control to the number of things you can no longer plan out is definitely not one of them.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I didnt snap mine but I got 6 reports in 4 games out of my 25, still got a smiley face so I assume they were found to be BS

Not too surprised about the reports; I tend to be pretty critical of pugs (tho I try to be constructive about it, no insults, try to be polite about it at least at first) and 7.00 has been a significant headache in that regard

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Reality Winner posted:

Dark Willow shits out crowd control she's really strong I think.

Wangsbig why do you stream from a kitchen

So he can dish out the spicy playts

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

It baffles me why she has two powerful ults.

Her Super Wisp Ball still working during her invuln skill is grotesque.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
New Tiny could be super fun if they cut down on the longass cooldown on tree grab/treetoss. I mean Deadwood had basically the same thing but with a charge system and ministun on throw, and he was good fun.

It also would help with his issue of "mana pool is too microscopic to successfully chip someone into burst range" by giving him an Undying route of slowly wittling an enemy down into combo range.

E: at least start the CD on grabbing a tree. 40 second CD is just more absurd when it doesnt tick until you use up the tree.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Nov 3, 2017

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Kild posted:

I actually dont understand why Tiny needed a remake and such a bad one too.

To be fair, Tiny's been in a pretty rough place for quite a few patches now; the big "casters can now carry patch" made intelligence provide spell amp, which by itself gave INT nukers a larger edge over him, let alone the items that largely benefited spammable casters and long-distance nukers rather that point-blank payload nukers. Let alone the additions of faerie fire, raindrops, magic sticks that are filled on purchase, and cheap magic resistance.

This rework makes sense conceptually, in that it's playing up the only real gimmick people have been doing with tiny; strong ratting and cleave clearing. It just needs more tweaks.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm really disappointed in valve for giving invoker a full closet of fashionable multicolored outfits just because he likes to juggle some balls

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Ability Draft still exists and is still the most fun Dota mode

Legends of Dota Redux is better because it doesnt take 5 minutes to draft only for some fuckwad to leave because he didnt get the carry skill he wanted, causing a cascade of leavers

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Craig K posted:

i LOVE legends of dota redux it's my testing ground for dumb and insanely broken heroes like my original character Dark Puck (c) me 2017 do not steal

Hell yeah :hf: my steam name's Greedo's Speedo, I play p regularly so you've probably seen me whine like a baby about people not enabling extra bans

This new patch has been hilarious because of CDR talents not being removed yet + Willow skills being ridiculous. If you go Drow and take Shadow Realm at 25 you can literally chain realms and the enemy can just go eat poo poo if they dont have an AoE silence

also valve didnt code Bedlam as an ult (which is why theres a delay in leveling when you skill up terrorize) so at level 3 you can run around with a 225 dps aura

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

Diffusal isn't BAD, but it blows my mind people keep rushing it on pangolier. Do they think his q procs on hits or something? :iiam:

...it does. The only modifiers it doesnt proc are ones based on your attack damage; cleave, lifesteal, or crit.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

That's a pretty critical thing to leave out!

The patch seems slightly rushed on the development/fine detail side of things. Supports the idea that a fire's been lit under their asses.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

Good.

also every meepo gives pango a stack of his w :lol:

To clarify, you CAN stack over 100% damage resist.

Lmao

Pang confirmed hard meepo counter

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Brinner posted:

He's flexible enough to be able to build him however you want. I think the no impact part is more to do with how plebs try to play him. He's actually great fun in an aggro trilane I found out last night.

IMO outside hilarious quirks like that Meepo one he's pretty versatile in an average way, while not having much of a specific enough niche to see tourney play (although that average versatility might in fact be his niche; he works pretty decently in every role but carry, so he could work as a Safe Pick). Kind of like how Ursa is real good in pugs, but in tourneys turns into a kite

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

Okay that Bane change was super needed. I kinda hope the autoattack thing stays viable, just not as insane as it was.

It probably will; even without 200 free damage he can still get 3-6 seconds of free autoattacks and a 100 damage drain advantage, he is hilariously good in the mid lane right now. If he eats another nerf it will probably be reducing enfeeble's 20 second duration and miniscule manacost increased.

And even if his AD build gets dumpstered, he always has that ridiculous +7s duration boost to his magic immunity piercing ult.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Dont forget that Swashbuckle has both really long range and is wider than it looks, so 1) don't take unecessary harass charging forward with it when laning and 2) try to avoid pushing the lane with it if they're doing a good job of controlling the lane.

Javelins really are great if you're in a match where you have very little harass to fear, 1100 gold for a 1/4 chance for 100 damage for each of your 4 swashes is pretty good. I'd at least get two for Basher and maybe MKB.

Diffusal is pretty funny since your wisp-style lack of turning to use items means you can easily slow anyone chasing you. Plus 70-100 mana to burn 200 of an enemies' mana is a pretty decent trade.

When ganking and lategame, Heartpiercer is really good against armor-reliant heroes like Dragon Knight and Terrorblade. It can also remove Axe's 40 taunt armor but that requires hitting him before he does it + him being dumb enough to taunt after it's applied.

e: is Turbo dead already

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 7, 2017

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Snazzy Frocks posted:

why are there 4 ships per ult

Level 25 talent

L25 dota2 is a hilariously beautiful clusterfuck ATM.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

A WHOLE THREE HUNDRED GOLD ON TRACK KILLS? :aaaaa:

Almost better than 6 treants

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Sounds like "matches no longer keep log of every change made, which caused games to start falling part at 20+ minutes"

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
New treasure has a refreshing number of actually good parts

Timbersaw, Shadow Demon, and Spirit Breaker's sets are all legit good, aristocrat Spectre is neat besides making her weird head wisp actual hair, Phoenix has a nice Ra head, and Omniknight's set is excessively WoW but the wings are neat

WD keeping the tradition of giving every hero a ridiculous wig strong

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I dont know about all of the article's points, but I can deffo say I'd be playing more dotes with a free battle pass, especially if custom games somehow contributed.

The battle pass always looks appealing, but I feel that it often has the same issue as excessively grindy time-limited events; you've already missed X amount of days/months into the event, why buy it up now when there's no guarantee you'll get everything? Better wait til next pass, and then you never notice the pass changing, 20 goto 10.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The incredibly rational racist boy: "Actually, the game needs more complicated esoteric features and tedious busywork. That will bring back the western ubermensch to beat back the yellow menace, who hate those things."

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The real issue killing Dota 2 is that they call their champions heroes. Fix that and the players will come rolling in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The Ancients in Defense of the Ancients is the base cores, so it stands to reason the Legends of LoL are the summoners/summoner cores, not the tiny fantasy men they abuse